Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: Would a +500 hp Benz C-Class bother you after buying an F8X?
Not at all. 136 69.39%
Heck, yeah. 16 8.16%
Secretly, yes mildly ticked off. 44 22.45%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

02-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #89
Bimmer4John
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2010 Audi S4  [6.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If HP was my number one priority I would be in a C7 Z06.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #90
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
That all depends on where you live. I certainly can and will use every bit of that 425HP here in Germany...on the daily basis.
The race track is the only place I can exploit all the power of an M4. I have nothing even close to an Autobahn where I live.

The average speed of my morning commute on the US 101 Hollywood freeway is 23 mph.

Back on topic... the power of the M4 is much more than enough. I will buy the BMW over any offering from MB, Audi, Chevrolet or even Porsche in the $70,000+ price range.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #91
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Just responding in kind saddle britches
Fair enough! I am not here to cause any problems, but I did get a bit snippy, so I deserved that. I guess I just do too much investigating most of the time. I really just want to see what Chris Harris has to say during his test. Anything else is just ink on paper. Thanks for keeping me humble brother. I need it from time to time.
      02-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #92
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishhead24 View Post
Fair enough! I am not here to cause any problems, but I did get a bit snippy, so I deserved that. I guess I just do too much investigating most of the time. I really just want to see what Chris Harris has to say during his test. Anything else is just ink on paper. Thanks for keeping me humble brother. I need it from time to time.
I'm really waiting for a Chris Harris or Top Gear review. I hope one comes soon. Before anything is uber official with my order.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #93
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
At the end of the day and if these 2 cars are close in performance the BMW fans will stay with BMW and get the M4 and the AMG guys will probably stay with their C63's... that's how it will go.
That would be my guess as well but there was a fair amount b*tching about "only" 430 hp initially. Good to see that the overwhelming majority doesn't care. It's a nice signal to BMW that we appreciate and support the direction of ending participation in the hp race and focus more on agility etc. I'm positively surprised that so many is content with the hp number and don't care if the closest competition out number it with a large amount.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #94
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I'm really waiting for a Chris Harris or Top Gear review.
I can hear Jeremy Clarkson now "The new BMW M4 Cou-pay is bonkers, a brilliant piece of kit.... but, there's a problem"......
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #95
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by camber View Post
No.

Because 6 MT.
      04-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #96
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

I have always had Mercedes and a few of them were AMG's. I want something that can shift when I ask it and can handle the power with out having to goto 4matic. I am going to miss the V8 sound.

I have never had a M but have driven my wives 135i. It is a blast to drive. I just hope the M4 does not feel too light and cheep sounding like an aftermarket exhaust on a 4 banger.

I am ready for a change and am excited to see how the new M4 drives.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #97
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

I don't hate mercedes as a brand, I just could not tolerate the sales people, or the show rooms, or the attitude, or the cars. Other than that, I'd go for one.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #98
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li

Were getting close to the upper limit on USEABLE street power with 2 wheel drive. The 40-120 mph acceleration is what is important in daily use. If we can get to 3000-3200 pounds and 475-500 hp I believe most of us will be thrilled. Come on M4 GTS or CSL
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #99
E39M235i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M This

Mercedes makes a great couch if your into that type of thing...OK the 90's AMG's were cool...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #100
JoeyLeeBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW ///M6 Alpine White

Garage List
Owning a BMW wins no matter what.

2014 BMW ///M6 Coupe "Competition Package" CLICK: Intro Thread Pictures

l Vorsteiner CA Demo Car l Toyo Tires l Trinity Autosport l Targa Trophy l Shift S3ctor
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #101
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyLeeBMW View Post
Owning a BMW wins no matter what.
Not true, I for one have to train every day to get the stuck up look needed right. Still in practice but I could own a lexus already!

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #102
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

This thread does an excellent job of separating BMW loyalists from driving enthusiasts. Some of the things being written here are simply shameful.

The new C63 will chew up the M3 and spit it out. It is essentially a M3-class car with an M5-class engine.

You guys can keep rowing your gears in your inline 6s but the world has moved on. And I say that as a guy who has probably owned more BMWs (6) than anyone else in this thread. Stop making excuses for BMW and quit buying their crap blindly without at LEAST contemplating what the other guys are selling. You're just enabling bad cars!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #103
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
This thread does an excellent job of separating BMW loyalists from driving enthusiasts. Some of the things being written here are simply shameful.

The new C63 will chew up the M3 and spit it out. It is essentially a M3-class car with an M5-class engine.

You guys can keep rowing your gears in your inline 6s but the world has moved on. And I say that as a guy who has probably owned more BMWs (6) than anyone else in this thread. Stop making excuses for BMW and quit buying their crap blindly without at LEAST contemplating what the other guys are selling. You're just enabling bad cars!
The 400+ hp available in the M4 is overkill for the street, let alone 500 whatever with a C63. I like the idea of "rowing my own" in a "slower" car than just being a passenger in faster car that is basically doing all the driving for me. My eyes are wide open.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #104
Lups
Rep

Quote:

Hey, we have a helluva lot of fun while doing it. And that is what I want to do while behind a wheel. You can keep on barking while your on it, I'll be happy this way.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #105
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet

I agree and the f8x has to live up to being the "benchmark" as previous generations have but with challengers like the Stingray, the track versions of the Mustang and Camaro, the new AMG and Caddy offerings the new M will have quite the challenge. Plus there is no BMW rival for the r8, 911, and gtr and this is the one area that M has always dominated but this generation is filled with great cars from so many brands. Given I'm an M fanboy and the M4 should be my next car I'm hoping this car lives up to its predecessors.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #106
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:

The Merc C63 will always be a fast car that can't handle worth a shit. I, for one, love the C63, but chewing up the new M3/M4 and spitting them out? Are you kidding? I am sure it is going to be a beast and most likely sell really well, but I still can not believe how many people are automatically counting the new M3/M4 out. Oh yeah and just wait for another 5 years and then tell me about how the world has moved on from the I6 or any 6 for that matter. Engines are decreasing in size my friend. That is fact.
      04-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #107
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I'm ignoring Benz mainly for the styling, weight and transmissions. I'm excited over what they are achieving in F1 and hope this is a sign of what can come in the generation after the coming generation with more affordable hybrid sports cars. I'm by no way ignoring Porsche or encouraging bad cars. Once Porsche has a car smaller than the Panny that can still fit my family I'm likely done with BMW. For now though I'm pretty confident that the M3/M4 will continue to rule the segment in terms of fun to drive and competent handling.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #108
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm ignoring Benz mainly for the styling, weight and transmissions.
+10!!! MB would never, never be an car for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
For now though I'm pretty confident that the M3/M4 will continue to rule the segment in terms of fun to drive and competent handling.
There I unfortunately have great doubts . Sure, the new M3/M4 will be superior to its predecessor and set new standards in terms of handling and driving dynamics. But the resultant distance to the new C205 C63 AMG would largely disappear ... if it not even completely turns !?

For me, the engine decision of the M -GmbH is unfortunately a wrong decision . With the new S55 they change the M3/M4 engine characteristic, from that of the M-GmbH long times regard as sacred race car-like engine characteristics of the spontaneously appealing, filigree high-revving engine ala S54 / S65, to the more torque-heavy engine interpretation of the competition - almost from sword to ax, unfortunately without raising the horsepower to the level of competition.

For me as a big M fan there would have been only two really good engine alternatives , either one leaves it at the HDZ V8 and content with 430 - 440PS or you switch to a turbo engine , but then with the same ~ 500hp like the competition !

Since the C205 should be saved as a base model ~ 100kg weight , the new C63 AMG compared with its predecessor safely lose more weight than the F8X M3/M4 against the E9xM3 ... and in chassis technology the C205 C63 is also determined to develop.

Therefore, the danger this time is very great that Basscadett will keep right with his statement: .
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #109
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

in a lot of peoples minds, rowing gears is part of being a driving enthusiast. not to say that you cant be a driving enthusiast if you drive an auto. in a sports car or sportier car, MT is a must to enjoy the experience in the long run IMO. so right there, Merc is out.

regardless, its too early for your doom and gloom scenario. here are a list of things that you or no one else knows right now

-how fast the m3 will truly be
-how much power the m3 will make to the wheels
-how heavy the production m3/4 is in the real world with options / base model
-how heavy the c63 will be
-how much power the c63 will make to the wheels
-how the m3 will handle
-how the c63 will handle

you don't know a single one of those answers, so I would consider constraining the hysterics.

I personally am convinced the m3 will be lighter, has way more handling tech and will handle better as a result. it will also be extremely fast for the street and have plenty of headroom for more power. perhaps merc will prove me wrong. but, considering that IMO the merc is ugly and saddled with a boring auto, im not personally in the market to consider one.
      04-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #110
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li

Quote:

I always enjoy how someone who owns neither a BMW or a Mercedes makes these predictions. Both are great brands. Both have there lovers/haters. My next car will be either an M4, C63 or Nissan GTR. Not brand loyal, just drive what works for me.
Appreciate 0