Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

12-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #45
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
You can't just toss out N'ring laptimes - It DOES matter and that's why most car manufacturers (even Tesla, although I don't like calling them a car manufacturer) test their performance cars intensely (and take pride in their best lap times/records) using Pro/race drivers instead of running them on HPDE tracks/NASCAR ovals using <insert car club here> HPDE <insert advanced run group color> drivers (#NoOffense). Because that's a far more credible test.

And yes, I take Pro driver reviews like Chris Harris' far more seriously than blanket statements on any forum. IIRC, his words for the M4 GTS were "comfortably slowest..." (comparing against a 991.1 GT3RS and AMG GTR). I'd bet that no one in the PCA HPDE advanced run group is anywhere close to Chris in terms of driving skills.
Couple of thoughts:

If you want to bench race, the GT3 and GTS are very evenly matched.

Hockenheim Short:
M4 GTS - 1:09.6
991.1 GT3 - 1:09.2

N-ring
M4 GTS - 7:27.88
991.1 GT3 - 7:25.xx (no video, just Porsche claim)

Pretty well even, I would say.

BMW UK had 2 press cars (white and grey). The one Harris drove (white) was not configured for the track - aero is all in street mode and the ride height is clearly the higher of the 2 factory settings (allegedly the dampers were as well - he made comments about the behavior of the suspension that are in line with the car being in street mode or even softer).

Moreover, I would hope that the GTS is slower than cars which cost 50% more when new - both the 991.1 RS and AMG GT R were close to $200k as tested by Harris (and the RS was commanding a significant ADM for the first 18 months of its production).

In fairness to SYT, a lot of guys with high end machinery love to quote magazine specs but don't have the ability (or balls or whatever you want to call it) to extract more than 8/10ths from their cars. I have been at a track day with an LMP2 car that was running marginally faster than a quick road car. Money /= talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
2) The GT3 drivers weren't pushing as hard (more than 7/10ths) as you were since they didn't want to ball up their car that's worth twice as much as yours. (#NoOffense)
Well, I doubt anyone tracking a $100k+ (or $80k for a GTS) car is doing so without track day insurance. 991.1 GT3 is definitely more expensive than a GTS, but not 2x. Maybe 1.2x-1.3x.

Last edited by 4play; 12-01-2020 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #46
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Couple of thoughts:

If you want to bench race, the GT3 and GTS are very evenly matched.

Hockenheim Short:
M4 GTS - 1:09.6
991.1 GT3 - 1:09.2

N-ring
M4 GTS - 7:27.88
991.1 GT3 - 7:25.xx (no video, just Porsche claim)

Pretty well even, I would say.
Agreed and thank you. I knew it would be closer than one would think (with the GT3 still winning). I was expecting some sort of lap times from Shadow that would support his claim of "ripping a new one" difference in lap times.

Quote:
BMW UK had 2 press cars (white and grey). The one Harris drove (white) was not configured for the track - aero is all in street mode and the ride height is clearly the higher of the 2 factory settings (allegedly the dampers were as well - he made comments about the behavior of the suspension that are in line with the car being in street mode or even softer).
TIL.

Quote:
Moreover, I would hope that the GTS is slower than cars which cost 50% more when new - both the 991.1 RS and AMG GT R were close to $200k as tested by Harris (and the RS was commanding a significant ADM for the first 18 months of its production).
Fair enough. Agree. I wasn't comparing performance per dollar.

Quote:
Well, I doubt anyone tracking a $100k+ (or $80k for a GTS) car is doing so without track day insurance. 991.1 GT3 is definitely more expensive than a GTS, but not 2x. Maybe 1.2x-1.3x.
Ah, I assumed it was a .2 GT3.
      12-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #47
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I shortened my reply after posting because a) I don't want to keep derailing the thread and b) it is completely pointless to discuss track stuff with a keyboard warrior

If we were in a meat grilling forum debating whether 500F or 550F is the right temp for the grill before putting a steak on, and someone showed up who doesn't eat or cook meat but has strong opinions about things I'd think they have some serious issues and leave it at that

When you get a GT3 please come to the Glen or VIR and PM me so I can go as well. Stop talking about what daddy, mommy, the Ring, Chris Harris or a bunch of other people did or said. We are not in preschool recess. What can YOU do? Cars and Coffee? Nice
I was genuinely interested to know the lap times to get to know how much of a gap the F8x had on the GT3s. But, all I got was a "keyboard warrior" (which I thought was pretty rich coming from a guy with 7500+ posts on a car forum) and "...come at me bro when you get your GT3..." .

I do plan on getting a .2 GT3RS next. When I do and after I get fast enough to run in the advanced group (I'm in intermediate run group now and you'll prolly lap me), I shall take you up on this offer.
      12-01-2020, 09:38 PM   #48
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Name:  ralph.png
Views: 300
Size:  265.6 KB
Appreciate 3
DRLane3968.00
      12-01-2020, 11:35 PM   #49
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
Haha, you're a much braver man than I am.

I've seen too many people get hit or have crashes caused by spills from cars that "passed" tech to not get the insurance. $80k is a lot of money to just eat.
Appreciate 0