Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #529
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Excerpt from the press release of the Kith whatever special edition M4. Tells me a lot about this new direction BMW is taking. It seems they are going for branding and image and no longer about the passion for driving. I am sorry, but I cannot follow them there. I'm out.
It feels like we might be watching the "Ultimate Driving Machine" turn into the Ultimate Marketing Machine.
They barely released the car and are already coming out with "special" editions. BMW have really lost their way and are pretty much delivering the same as any Mercedes or Audi product.
Appreciate 3
minn1914034.50
Jockey3451.00
      10-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #530
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
You're not smarter than BMW

Next gen of customers want different things

Image, features etc

All cars fast now the genesis g70 has a top speed of 167

My buddy found his way to Hyundai Sonota from an X5 now he wants a 2021 genesis G80

It's a different time now

Rear engine corvette, 700 hp muscle cars

BMW hand has been forced to change with the times.

Even me; my next M3 could be an automatic and awd
��

I've never owned an automatic
I agree with some of your points but as far as

“ You're not smarter than BMW”
— I beg to differ. Companies are not infallible. History is littered with companies who have made strategic errors. From a business strategy perspective, this pivot to chase a new market while abandoning a set of core loyalists is risky. It may pay off initially as sales spike but over time, brand dilution will have an impact.

I do see their strategy. The core Motorsport loving loyalist market is likely not as large as the average Fast & Furious, mainstream. It is clear they are catering to that segment more now. That’s why they had a ‘pure model’ in hopes of retaining their core market.

I do think that BMW will be ok sales wise with the pivot but over the longer term, they lose their identity if they don’t realign back to their roots. It will be interesting to watch.

I never believe a company is ‘smarter than I am’. A person should get what they like and believe fits their needs, not blindly follow a company product choices. At least for me, I’m not a sheep.

“My buddy found his way to Hyundai Sonota from an X5 now he wants a 2021 genesis G80”

— Could this be the addition of a certain Albert Biermann from BMW M? He left and joined Kia/Hyundai in 2014. The new models are exciting and look good.

The new car, up close, as I’ve stated before, is a hard hard pass. The grilles are hideous and the whole design is a mess. That is very unlike BMW. If I wanted grilles, I’d go for a Audi or Lexus. Much better executed.

On another note, the new 7 series is such a eyesore. I always refrain from giggling at the people who drive them. Bring on the steak sauce and sirloins I say.

Last edited by CT_M3; 10-23-2020 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 6
      10-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #531
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Outstanding; write up. I begrudgingly agree😭

I'm just saddened by what's happening with the M3.
It's all bad; awd, automatic, digital, heavier, bigger.

My 2015 Performance Pack GTI had a better steering feel than my M3. Now I know how important steering feel is.

I just read "Winers take all".

It's changed my perspective on creating change from my seat/customer/worker/end user/etc.

I'll just work for change in my bubble.

Perhaps I get a 992 7 speed when I can afford a cpo one or a new one. Keep my dreams alive.

Sadly I agree with you
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
paliknight2191.50
      10-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #532
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I just saw the Kith Edition on the front page. $110k for a fricken M4 with gaudy stickers?!?? That's 992 territory.

BMW is becoming the Poster Child of selling your soul for sales.
      10-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #533
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Wow, seeing a lot of old "faces" in here. Many of you I recognize from at least 2014 when I first joined Bimmerpost when I was so excited about the new design. Those were the good old days here when we all were so hyped about getting our F8Xs and posting our Euro Deliveries. Times sure have changed for the worst globally and here in the US. The G8X is quite apropos IMO for these strange times. It's been a pleasure hanging in here.

BTW, I did hear from a friend and another stranger I met on these these forums is that F80 prices seem to be pretty stable if not stregnthening in the used market with individual cars commanding strong premiums as well. Not sure if this is a reaction to the G8X but it does seem strange since we are in a recession and pandemic. Possibly a good sign for those of us who are keeping our cars long term.
Haven't lurked/posted in forever (still loving my '17 F80 Comp. M3).

Saw the new M3 and was like yikes, those grills. Not a fan of the similar style Lexus uses and for some reason that's all I can see when I look at the new BMWs. Yuck. But the rest of the car is quite nice. I'm sure it'll perform well too, but not sure I'd be able to get over the front end with those things staring at me.

On the topic of resell market, I got a call from the dealer I purchased from and they asked me if I wanted to sell my car as they're low on inventory. I guess our cars are a hot commodity these days for various reasons. Wish I had another car I was interested in. Say like a new M3...
Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3498.00
f80er2056.00
      10-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #534
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
I agree with some of your points but as far as

“ You're not smarter than BMW”
— I beg to differ. Companies are not infallible. History is littered with companies who have made strategic errors. From a business strategy perspective, this pivot to chase a new market while abandoning a set of core loyalists is risky. It may pay off initially as sales spike but other time, brand dilution will have an impact.

I do see their strategy. The core Motorsport loving loyalist market is likely not as large as the average Fast & Furious, mainstream. It is clear they are catering to that segment more now. That’s why they had a ‘pure model’ in hopes of retaining their core market.

I do think that BMW will be ok sales wise with the pivot but over the longer term, they lose their identity if they don’t realign back to their roots. It will be interesting to watch.

I never believe a company is ‘smarter than I am’. A person should get what they like and believe fits their needs, not blindly follow a company product choices. At least for me, I’m not a sheep.

“My buddy found his way to Hyundai Sonota from an X5 now he wants a 2021 genesis G80”

— Could this be the addition of a certain Albert Biermann from BMW M? He left and joined Kia/Hyundai in 2014. The new models are exciting and look good.

The new car, up close, as I’ve stated before, is a hard hard pass. The grilles are hideous and the whole design is a mess. That is very unlike BMW. If I wanted grilles, I’d go for a Audi or Lexus. Much better executed.

On another note, the new 7 series is such a eyesore. I always refrain from giggling at the people who drive them. Bring on the steak sauce and sirloins I say.
New coke and Cherry Coke were great ideas - if the plan was to revert back to the old Coke to satisfy anticipated customer outrage. Maybe BMW has a similar strategy🤭

Last edited by kss; 10-23-2020 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #535
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Wish I had another car I was interested in. Say like a new M3...
That is the worst part about the G8X, it forces guys like us to either hold onto what we have or go with something else completely. BMW forcing our hand when they should be holding them.
Appreciate 3
CanAutM321116.50
White3401393.00
      10-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #536
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Seems harder and harder to find a safe space here... thanks for the shelter from the storm.

Long-er termers may remember better than me, but I don't believe BMW ever even considered a marketing collaboration before. It would be anathema to a company which made its mark by offering more fun than Mercedes and more accessible performance than Porsche. A company which famously threw around these adverts:

It always struck me that after seeing the bounty of enthusiastic 2002 drivers buying their cars in droves and giving us a version of the E36 M3 when they weren't going to, BMW took a massive risk in changing their slogan for North America from Sheer Driving Pleasure (Freude am Fahren) to the Ultimate Driving Machine. That paid off hugely and made BMW into the recipe for an affordable blend of sport and luxury. That's also why I personally bought into the brand's philosophy.

The E39 M5 was always peak BMW to me for one reason above all others - it looks almost exactly like a 5-series, just tauter, angrier but just as classy. James Bond, not Roger Moore. I would imagine storming down the highway in Mexico, getting lit up by a LEO, and having him let me go because no 5-series could be going THAT fast!

BMW has always been aspirational, and by applying the M brand to the cars, they created a reason for customers to spend more money and increase sales. Inevitably though, the money funneled into engineering and the money funneled into marketing has shifted the more expensive the cars have gotten.

Only a few short years ago, the first M2 was just a touch more expensive than a 335i, you got better focus on the drive at the cost of some practicality and comfort. The engineering can always get better, but not for the price increase BMW wants for the car. And so once the price must go higher, it must be justified by adding more luxury, more tech, more marketing.

Leading to my personal turning point with the brand... the M4 Kith.

Selling your soul built, bled, and forged over the last 40+ years may gain you a massive temporary boost in sales but the ephemerality of that market means that when the bubble bursts, you will have lost the new blood and driven away the old blood to other brands who are NOT making the same choices. Soon, the wave crashes down and with nothing left to support it, the ship capsizes and starts to roll.

I truly believe that unless the ship is righted, I too will no longer buy brand new BMWs once my current is paid off - it was my first new car ever. It's heartbreaking to think this. It's been my dream to have a brand new M3 since the first time I saw and rode in an E46 M3. I almost pulled the trigger with an F80 and had to back off for my family needs.

I very much enjoy my RWD not-an-M340i as imperfect as it may be and have no regrets on making the choices I did for my family. I suspect when the lure of perfect hydraulic steering and/or the stickshift calls again, the F80, the E39 M5 or the E90 M3 will be waiting for me!

Thanks for listening!
Appreciate 5
      10-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #537
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Is it me or does the front hood scoops design is stolen from the Dodge Charger, Buck Toothed Grill from Pontiac Aztec, Rear tail light from Hyundai Sonata, and side profile of an Audi RS5.. It's becoming a Lego type car.. mix up components from other manufacturers, where's the originality?

Please say the new design will grow on you, every time I look at it, I vomit in the back of my mouth..
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3498.00
      10-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #538
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
Seems harder and harder to find a safe space here... thanks for the shelter from the storm.

Long-er termers may remember better than me, but I don't believe BMW ever even considered a marketing collaboration before. It would be anathema to a company which made its mark by offering more fun than Mercedes and more accessible performance than Porsche. A company which famously threw around these adverts:

It always struck me that after seeing the bounty of enthusiastic 2002 drivers buying their cars in droves and giving us a version of the E36 M3 when they weren't going to, BMW took a massive risk in changing their slogan for North America from Sheer Driving Pleasure (Freude am Fahren) to the Ultimate Driving Machine. That paid off hugely and made BMW into the recipe for an affordable blend of sport and luxury. That's also why I personally bought into the brand's philosophy.

The E39 M5 was always peak BMW to me for one reason above all others - it looks almost exactly like a 5-series, just tauter, angrier but just as classy. James Bond, not Roger Moore. I would imagine storming down the highway in Mexico, getting lit up by a LEO, and having him let me go because no 5-series could be going THAT fast!

BMW has always been aspirational, and by applying the M brand to the cars, they created a reason for customers to spend more money and increase sales. Inevitably though, the money funneled into engineering and the money funneled into marketing has shifted the more expensive the cars have gotten.

Only a few short years ago, the first M2 was just a touch more expensive than a 335i, you got better focus on the drive at the cost of some practicality and comfort. The engineering can always get better, but not for the price increase BMW wants for the car. And so once the price must go higher, it must be justified by adding more luxury, more tech, more marketing.

Leading to my personal turning point with the brand... the M4 Kith.

Selling your soul built, bled, and forged over the last 40+ years may gain you a massive temporary boost in sales but the ephemerality of that market means that when the bubble bursts, you will have lost the new blood and driven away the old blood to other brands who are NOT making the same choices. Soon, the wave crashes down and with nothing left to support it, the ship capsizes and starts to roll.

I truly believe that unless the ship is righted, I too will no longer buy brand new BMWs once my current is paid off - it was my first new car ever. It's heartbreaking to think this. It's been my dream to have a brand new M3 since the first time I saw and rode in an E46 M3. I almost pulled the trigger with an F80 and had to back off for my family needs.

I very much enjoy my RWD not-an-M340i as imperfect as it may be and have no regrets on making the choices I did for my family. I suspect when the lure of perfect hydraulic steering and the stickshift calls again, the F80, the E39 M5 or the E90 M3 will be waiting for me!

Thanks for listening!
I love old BMW marketing. Not sure what's going on with all these new commercials of people dancing and screaming with BMW's in the backround

Just look at BMW's marketing of their bread and butter 3-series and new 2-series Gran Coupe vs Alfa's marketing of the Giulia and Stelvio.

That 2GC commerical literally doesn't even feel like a car commercial but a lifestyle brand or some s***. The worse part is the marketing is starting to really reflect the cars in how they drive.

Last edited by stein_325i; 10-25-2020 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 4
      10-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #539
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I love old BMW marketing. Not sure what's going on with all these new commercials of people dancing and screaming with BMW's in the backround
If it’s anything like my kids’ YouTube gaming shows they watch, all they do is yell and scream nowadays so maybe it’s a reflection of today’s buying demographics hahaha
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      10-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #540
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Excerpt from the press release of the Kith whatever special edition M4. Tells me a lot about this new direction BMW is taking. It seems they are going for branding and image and no longer about the passion for driving. I am sorry, but I cannot follow them there. I'm out.
They literally erased M4 logo off of the boot and slapped ///KITH.
Like they don't give a shit about what M3/4 means to BMW M division.

It's like putting a GUCCI logo in the place of 911 logo. Unbelievable.
CanAutM321116.50
White3401393.00
_robert_108.50
Jockey3451.00
Mavus2029.50
SD ///M42992.00
      10-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #541
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

BMW, a company that didn't need to re-invent itself. Now needs to re-invent itself.
Appreciate 14
stein_325i25083.00
CanAutM321116.50
paliknight2191.50
Jockey3451.00
Arcades8174.00
Sassicaia4453.00
SD ///M42992.00
DML967.50
      10-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #542
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:

[IMG][url]httpspinimg.com/originals/a3/58/ce/a358cec8988a1aa09b8f76ac54f695e0.jpg[/rl][/IMG]

Just look at BMW's marketing of their bread and butter 3-series and new 2-series Gran Coupe vs Alfa's marketing of the Giulia and Stelvio.

[u2b]LqUoLkQ2ym0[/ub]

[u2b]rjeUp6rdblQ[/ub]

[u2b]NIkg1EvyhO0[/2b]

That 2GC commerical literally doesn't even feel like a car commercial but a lifestyle brand or some s***. The worse part is the marketing is starting to really reflect the cars in how they drive.
that 2 series video is an embarrassment. WTF is going on at BMW
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25083.00
MFNATIK3498.00
SD ///M42992.00
      10-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #543
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

^ I know... no enthusiast would sit on their car smh
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25083.00
arashir164.00
MFNATIK3498.00
      10-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #544
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
^ I know... no enthusiast would sit on their car smh
Why sit on the car when you can stand on the roof?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #545
figure99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
There is a difference between what the C7 Vette is compared to what's happening between the F8x to G8x.

I would say the change from C7 to the C8 is more like what is happening. However, unlike the Corvette history where the mid engine setup was already being pushed by its old designer, the G8x removed the history of what BMW has always been. At the very end of the day, that is the problem with the G8x in general. And no, just because they shove a vertical grill on, doesn't mean they are retaining the history. It's complete BS they think we would buy into that as no old BMW vertical grill stretched from the top of its hood down to the bottom. Old BMW grill isn't 40% of it's damn front end.

History is what makes us, what makes a company, or person who they are today. BMW threw all of it away for one generation because they want to attract buyers who would immediately jump ship to another brand when a better opportunity comes around..
For me the history about bmw and M cars is the practicality of an everyday car, but pushes performance toward the performance of a sports car. You know if they even got rid of the kidney altogether, but still had a sporty and nice looking grill, I could get behind it (preferred they didn’t, but I could live with the change). But this grill looks like it belongs in a Mack truck - not a sports sedan or coupe.

Their is no flow or cohesion to the overall design. Don’t like the change to the kink, but I could have accepted that. Frankly, even with the F80, as far as the grill goes, I don’t like the idea of how easy it is for rocks or debris to get through and cause serious engine damage, but it looks classy and refined and I like the look with the black optics package. With the G80, you’ve got even bigger gaps, it looks like crap and unless they come up with an optical illusion package, nothing is going to make that grill look better.

We’ve got a Lexus RX350 for my wife and trips and when we got the 2017, I didn’t like the big grill on the regular model, but actually liked the F sport grill and we went with that (also black instead of the regular chrome). But the larger grill looks okay on an SUV. I even think the LC500 with the big grill looks cool. The BMW is an eyesore. You don’t see Mercedes making such ugly grills - I really like the look of the C63s AMG coupe (I actually think it looks better than the M4). I really don’t know what BMW was thinking with this design. Nothing wrong with making bold changes. But for god sake, make it look good!!!!

It’s not like I didn’t want the G80/82 to be a good looking car - I was waiting for an AWD M3/4, just didn’t realize it would be so ugly when BMW finally made one. Hell, if the new G80 came in the i8 body, I’d be first in line for a pre-order. To me that was a drastic design change I loved. It’s just that the car had shit performance. It’s just disappointing that BMW could ever approve such an ugly design of the G80/82, I almost didn’t purchase my 2017 m3C (bought it new in late 2018), in anticipation of an AWD M3/4, now I’m even more glad I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
There is a difference between what the C7 Vette is compared to what's happening between the F8x to G8x.

I would say the change from C7 to the C8 is more like what is happening. However, unlike the Corvette history where the mid engine setup was already being pushed by its old designer, the G8x removed the history of what BMW has always been. At the very end of the day, that is the problem with the G8x in general. And no, just because they shove a vertical grill on, doesn't mean they are retaining the history. It's complete BS they think we would buy into that as no old BMW vertical grill stretched from the top of its hood down to the bottom. Old BMW grill isn't 40% of it's damn front end.

History is what makes us, what makes a company, or person who they are today. BMW threw all of it away for one generation because they want to attract buyers who would immediately jump ship to another brand when a better opportunity comes around..
For me the history about bmw and M cars is the practicality of an everyday car, but pushes performance toward the performance of a sports car. You know if they even got rid of the kidney altogether, but still had a sporty and nice looking grill, I could get behind it (preferred they didn't, but I could live with the change). But this grill looks like it belongs in a Mack truck - not a sports sedan or coupe.

Their is no flow or cohesion to the overall design. Don't like the change to the kink, but I could have accepted that. Frankly, even with the F80, as far as the grill goes, I don't like the idea of how easy it is for rocks or debris to get through and cause serious engine damage, but it looks classy and refined and I like the look with the black optics package. With the G80, you've got even bigger gaps, it looks like crap and unless they come up with an optical illusion package, nothing is going to make that grill look better.

We've got a Lexus RX350 for my wife and trips and when we got the 2017, I didn't like the big grill on the regular model, but actually liked the F sport grill and we went with that (also black instead of the regular chrome). But the larger grill looks okay on an SUV. I even think the LC500 with the big grill looks cool. The BMW is an eyesore. You don't see Mercedes making such ugly grills - I really like the look of the C63s AMG coupe (I actually think it looks better than the M4). I really don't know what BMW was thinking with this design. Nothing wrong with making bold changes. But for god sake, make it look good!!!!

It's not like I didn't want the G80/82 to be a good looking car - I was waiting for an AWD M3/4, just didn't realize it would be so ugly when BMW finally made one. Hell, if the new G80 came in the i8 body, I'd be first in line for a pre-order. To me that was a drastic design change I loved. It's just that the car had shit performance. It's just disappointing that BMW could ever approve such an ugly design of the G80/82, I almost didn't purchase my 2017 m3C (bought it new in late 2018), in anticipation of an AWD M3/4, now I'm even more glad I did.
Haha the illusion package is something I could get behind... the illusion to make it look like an actual BMW. :
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #546
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:

Spot on! That second Alfa commercial literally gave me chills and made me want one, it did it to me the first time and it did it to me now. The sensuality of a car that begs to be driven hard... it's intoxicating. And we have had 30 years of it thrown out in one generation.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      10-23-2020, 10:34 PM   #547
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Anyone remember this ad?
I remember the first time I saw it, then went to a dealership and drove the the 540i and the E46M3. I was so awed by the performance and looks that it made the M3 the car I had to get (and I did). I was smitten by the M car dream and bug.

Such a 2020 puzzle. Like everyone else here, this will be my last M car until they right the ship (hopefully). Else, I’m off to Porsche likely, never to give BMW a revered look. I’m very happy to have the F80. I’ll keep it very long time and it will be one of my classics. I drove it for 200 miles today, fully packed with kids and wife. Fun, fast and engaging. And boy, does it look good! Such aggressive and elegant lines.

I don’t ever recognize the new messaging and marketing coming out of BMW.
No wonder Biermann left!! We should have been worried then!

Appreciate 7
      10-24-2020, 02:02 AM   #548
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

A Client Advisor that we have bought/leased a few of our BMWs from called to wish me a happy B-Day yesterday. In our conversation I obviously brought up the latest "///M" car grill etc etc.....He goes yeah they are going back to their roots with the grill

I'm thinking that's all you've got. Haha

The sales numbers over the long haul are going to be dismal.
Appreciate 4
      10-24-2020, 04:41 AM   #549
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

A clothing branded M3?!?!?!

///M means marketing now, motorsports is dead
Appreciate 5
      10-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #550
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
A Client Advisor that we have bought/leased a few of our BMWs from called to wish me a happy B-Day yesterday. In our conversation I obviously brought up the latest "///M" car grill etc etc.....He goes yeah they are going back to their roots with the grill

I'm thinking that's all you've got. Haha

The sales numbers over the long haul are going to be dismal.
Funny a former coworker of mine is selling them, he said the saaaaame crap. Guess the mothership is feeding them propaganda.
Appreciate 2