Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

My 2016 M4 damaged at dealership needs $5k in work. Replacement offer. ADVICE NEEDED

update: the dust has cleared and the surprise of this has gone away, and now everything is being worked out to the mutual benefit of myself and of the dealer. I am being treated fairly and have confidence in the dealer, as they are fixing the situation appropriately. Thank you. I may post more detailed updates in post #2 of this thread.

I dropped my 2016 M4 off at the dealership's service department (who will stay unnamed for now) on December 1 for brake service and to look at a couple small things.

Last weekend came and went, and the car didn't come back from service.
I kept asking them for my car before last weekend, because I miss it and want it back to drive (it's my daily driver that I love driving, and they have me in a 328i loaner car)!

PROBLEM:
However after the weekend, on Tuesday, December 8, I received a phone call from both the General Manager and Service Manager on speakerphone. They explained to me that there was an incident on the interstate which resulted in damage to my car!!! They say it's not that bad and they will fix it... I leave work, and spend 2 hours fighting traffic round trip to go see the damage in person that day (they moved it to their body shop which was further away). It needs a new headlight, bumper, and paintwork to 3 to 4 body panels plus paint blending, a ding removal on the roof, and redoing of the vinyl work I just had completed recently. They must have hit a metal pole or several pieces of debris at interstate speeds. It doesn't look as bad as I thought and is driveable, but their initial body shop estimate is $5,200+.

For the rest of the week, I spent hours talking to my insurance, their insurance, the dealership, their corporate parent, BMW southeast region, BMW North America, multiple body shops, appraisers, and friends in the auto industry (a bit time consuming and stressful to say the least, not to mention I still don't have my car to drive, which i am missing every day)!

RESOLUTION OFFER:
Yesterday (day 11 of not having my car) I went up to talk to the dealership in person. I told them didn't want their body shop to do the work, and I wanted it fixed at the best body shop (in my opinion) in the area.

They did the math, and realized it is cheaper for them to buy my car from me, add CPO and sell it for a profit, then let me get a new M4.

I love my M4, and have it speced and modified perfectly to my taste. So ordering a new one sounds ok, except my car was already perfect for me, and that means I have to wait even longer and not have my own car.

Getting a car without paint work done is more important to me than having a 0 mile car that I have to break in again (not to mention additional services and downtime for re-doing mods), but those are my options... fix my car and get it in two weeks (plus get a diminished value check, probably $3,000), or get a new car and wait 2+ months (or longer if I do euro delivery) plus go through some steps again.

In addition to the new car, they also offered me $700 to re-do my tint and vinyl work. I asked for an M performance exhaust and steering wheel on the new M4. They said yes to the wheel but no to the exhaust.

I also asked them to give me my car back because it's driveable, and allow me to put 250 miles on each week until such time that the new car is here.

So, what do you guys think I should do? Take the new car? Get my car fixed and get the diminished value check? Ask for ___________ in addition? Take it and walk away?

I know you guys will have some good ideas, so I'm just seeking advice from this helpful community!

To the dealerships credit, they are working with me to get through this.
I love cars, I love BMWs (have purchased 14 in the last 14 years, most of them M cars), and I just want it to be right.

Last edited by Tom (Atl); 12-21-2015 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep

(this post reserved for future updates)

The dust has cleared and the surprise of this has gone away, and now everything is being worked out to the mutual benefit of myself and of the dealer. I am being treated fairly and have confidence in the dealer, as they are fixing the situation appropriately. Thank you

Today I asked the dealer for timelines on when:
- we can get the car ordered (to anticipate the delivery date)
- I can get the loaner back to them (it's been parked, I haven't been driving it recently) and get my car back to me for limited use until the replacement arrives
- we can do paperwork to document & finalize everything agreed upon verbally

I also told them:
I'm anxious to get these things moving, I think it's day #21 without my car now and I'd really love to have the ball rolling on those items above.
Please let me know which of these steps I can help with, I will take time off work or do whatever is needed to keep it moving fast on my end!

I'm sure they are busy with holidays, so I will continue to patiently wait for the estimated timelines.

Last edited by Tom (Atl); 12-21-2015 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
yerffejleahcim
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3 Alpine White

New car

2016 F80 M3 Alpine White / Sakhir Orange / DCT
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
I'd get it fixed if there's no structural damage (doesn't sound like there is). But that's just me. 2 weeks is a hell of a lot shorter than months to get a new one - paint matching is very good. It will be good as new and you'll get a $3000k check - driving in 2 weeks.

At the end of the day it's just a car. Shit happens. You won't even know anything happened to it when you get it back. Keep the car.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 3
      12-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

New car before they change their mind.
      12-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I'm not sure if I care about having a new car. I mean, my car is a new car already...and even if I got another, I'd order it the same. Unless I did another color just to be different, which I don't really want to do.

Advice is appreciated.
But they won't change their mind, because they will profit on re-selling my old car (especially when they add CPO). I imagine it will sell for much more $ than they sold it to me originally.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
e90_2_f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

New car + damages for your time. If they don't accept bring in a lawyer.
Appreciate 5
      12-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

no brainer. new car + the goodies. see if they are willing to skip the tint/wrap and give you the exhaust.
      12-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom (Atl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I'm not sure if I care about having a new car. I mean, my car is a new car already...and even if I got another, I'd order it the same. Unless I did another color just to be different, which I don't really want to do.
Your car is a new car that's been in an accident, the full details of which you may or may not have been provided. I'd always prefer a new car vs. repairs if offered. Whether on a vehicle history report or not, they will never do a good enough job to conceal it was in an accident to someone knowledgeable. If you had been in the accident yourself, no way insurance would be offering a new car (unless damage was far worse than described). Why risk the potential of being dissatisfied with the work done and spending the time brining it back? Piece of mind alone favors new.

What was wrong with the brakes before the accident out of curiosity?
      12-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

New car plus one of their loaners to drive. Why drive a car that has damage and risk more back and forth if further damage comes up with you are driving it?

How did it get to this point? Service dept hoonage?
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3

I don't understand, u got everything u wanted so just get the new car. There is a chance the body work wont be the same so u might have to redo it which will take time.

U will have doubts down the road so start fresh with a new car.
Appreciate 3
      12-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
Deddie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Clincher for me is your statement about 14 BMWs. You change cars a lot, so don't have an accident listed on your car. It will nuke the value when you sell it.. New car all the way.
Appreciate 5
      12-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #13
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

New car for sure. You never know what kind of hidden damage u car suffers after a collision. It might not show right away but will in the long run.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #14
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
I agree, take the new car.. get them to provide you a loaner until it arrives. Anything extra I would take it, but wouldn't push too hard for extras... M- Steering wheel, tint replace.

I think they probably could get you a new car a bit quicker than you think in your case. Sounds like they are trying to make it right.

I wouldn't want a car that was in an accident in which I didn't know the full details. Never mind dealing with trying to sell it at a later date.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #15
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep

If I have my car repaired, it won't be on the carfax but I'd disclose it when I sell it anyway, along with pictures. I'm posting under my real account, and I wouldn't attempt to hide anything.

I agree a new car is not bad - but I don't know if it's better than waiting 2 months! Maybe I'm a little crazy but every single DAY without the car is driving me insane... isn't that why we have them? I need it (or equivalent) to drive ASAP. SO IMPORTANT to me to have my car to drive!!! I get a new car about every year, so 2+ months is a really big deal to me.

That being said - in the new car scenario, would you ask for anything else then (parts, etc)? I suppose that was my main question other than which path to take.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #16
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Looks like that dealership is giving you very fair options. Take the new car while driving one of their loaners.
      12-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #17
hadeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

I would get a new car. And ask them for a loaner while you wait.

You'll also get diminished value on the resale if you decide to keep yours. Good luck man!
      12-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #18
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

New

100 percent new car. This car will always have a black mark and be worth less after accident.

Squeeze them for a few more goodies. There must be something that you would do differently?

Also, ask them for a better loaner while you wait for your new car.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #19
Shanh81
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 & 2016 F15

Garage List
2020 Porsche GT4  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
New car and don't even think about it twice
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #20
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom (Atl) View Post
If I have my car repaired, it won't be on the carfax but I'd disclose it when I sell it anyway, along with pictures. I'm posting under my real account, and I wouldn't attempt to hide anything.

I agree a new car is not bad - but I don't know if it's better than waiting 2 months! Maybe I'm a little crazy but every single DAY without the car is driving me insane... isn't that why we have them? I need it (or equivalent) to drive ASAP. SO IMPORTANT to me to have my car to drive!!! I get a new car about every year, so 2+ months is a really big deal to me.

That being said - in the new car scenario, would you ask for anything else then (parts, etc)? I suppose that was my main question other than which path to take.
I would just wait, I would even consider doing a EU delivery and ask for the car a wholesale price, plus the tint and steering wheel. An a loaner until the new car arrives. I think that would be worth it and then some.

An yeah, if someone even being honest with me told me a car was in an auto accident, I would decline. Even if it wasn't in CarFax and was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #21
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
New car on ED and a loaner.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #22
elusive