GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Chris@BAB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Dinan Stage 3 and full Exhaust

So I recently got myself into a stage 3 tune,heat exchanger, and full exhaust ... I know there are so many of you Dinan haters out there but in all honesty I am super pleased with the power increase and exhaust ... I spent a lot of money on this car and I am not going to be willing to run into any warranty issues being in the business of cars I know how dealers work once they see something that is not certified in the car that's the first thing they point at... that being said all I can say is I don't care if I had to spend the extra money as long as I have a piece of mind by the way thanks Dinan this tune and exhaust is amazing!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      06-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Congrats on the mods.

FYI, BMW of NA (not the dealer) WILL void your powertrain and emissions warranty if something major happens while you have those parts installed. Your recourse would be to go through DINAN if that happens. We're starting to see it more and more at my dealership, as BMW (understandably) is sick of paying warranty claims for an aftermarket company.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Chris@BAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well all the time I had Dinan with my older BMW and now never got denied but I see a lot more not Dinan cars getting denied .. is your dealership authorized Dinan ??? I never had a problem ever but also I have never see any other aftermarket company sell a warranty with there product even if BMW dosent. Dinan still backs u up with there warranty... your next answer will be there is a max .. correct when your aftermarket company supplies you with a warranty when they sell you a tune the. You can chime in about voiding warranty this is crazy in this forum how much haters are out there Bc they are too cheap to spend money on products that stand behide there product not only on performance but customer service I never have once seen any other aftermarket company pay for labor parts or anything else beside call on the phone and give you customer care
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Is yours a ZCP or non competition?

Can you feel a lot more power than without the tune?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

If you think your Dinan parts don't void your BMW warranty, you are totally out to lunch and clueless. In the eye of BMW, Dinan is just another aftermarket mod company and they have no affiliation with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
Chris@BAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
If you think your Dinan parts don't void your BMW warranty, you are totally out to lunch and clueless. In the eye of BMW, Dinan is just another aftermarket mod company and they have no affiliation with BMW.
M4 GTS You are rite to a point BMW is its own company and Dinan is its own company but they have a business relationship there a Dinan certified performance centers all over the country inside a BMW dealership I don't see any other aftermarket company that is allowed in a BMW dealership if BMW NA really had a problem with Dinan modifying there cars they would not allowed to be advertise
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@BAB View Post
M4 GTS You are rite to a point BMW is its own company and Dinan is its own company but they have a business relationship there a Dinan certified performance centers all over the country inside a BMW dealership I don't see any other aftermarket company that is allowed in a BMW dealership if BMW NA really had a problem with Dinan modifying there cars they would not allowed to be advertise
Keep in mind that BMW dealers are independent businesses and not part of BMW NA. BMW Dealerships that are also Dinan dealerships are in effect agents for two products, two warranties - BMW and Dinan. They are separate warranties. So if a BMW dealership ends its relationship with Dinan, it may not be in a position to honor a Dinan agreement, but another Dinan dealer would be.

Bulletin 31-U-08
"On July 2, 2008, BMW of North America LLC sent a letter to Dinan Engineering concerning our position on aftermarket modifications to BMW vehicles and the possible effects on warranty coverage. This letter contained the following paragraph: BMW feels strongly that customers considering the purchase of aftermarket products should be fully informed of the technical risks created by modifications that exceed design parameters, which may take their vehicles out of emissions compliance and may void the warranty.... commencing September 1, 2008, and from this date forward, we will exclude Dinan-modified vehicles from the Certified Pre-owned Program"

BTW, BMW dealers that used to carry Dinan in Canada is now no longer allowed to carry Dinan in their dealerships. The reason is pretty obvious

Last edited by M4_GTS; 06-10-2017 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:
Keep in mind that BMW dealers are independent businesses and not part of BMW NA. BMW Dealerships that are also Dinan dealerships are in effect agents for two products, two warranties - BMW and Dinan. They are separate warranties. So if a BMW dealership ends its relationship with Dinan, it may not be in a position to honor a Dinan agreement, but another Dinan dealer would be.

BTW, BMW dealers that used to carry Dinan in Canada is now no longer allowed to carry Dinan in their dealerships. The reason is pretty obvious
Huh? Parkshore BMW in north Vancouver stocks and carries Dinan... Auto west and Jessel sell it through their subsidiaries...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
Huh? Parkshore BMW in north Vancouver stocks and carries Dinan... Auto west and Jessel sell it through their subsidiaries...
you might want to update your information because BJ Autohaus closed down years ago and non of BJ subsidiaries carries Dinan. Auto West BMW used to carry Dinan, and their subsidiaries Performance One carries Dinan now. But you have to understand Performance One is run at a different location and focuses on performance mods for all makes. Park Shore BMW, I am not sure as I don't go there at all.

Last edited by M4_GTS; 06-10-2017 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #10
Chris@BAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

So your basically saying that every Dinan performance center is breaching there contract with BMW NA.. I find that hard to believe also when ever I had a problem with my M4 I never got any run around that the Dinan tune is the problem and we can't fix it Bc of the Dinan
Tuner.... how about this I know if I ever had any problem with my motor, modules that control the motor or anything with the car, now how about you try that with any other aftermarket tuner I bet you they would not warrantee anything that got affected Bc of the the tuner not being a Dinan one with my situation I don't have to worry about anything. I mean we can on and on about this but the truth is I have peace of mind and any other person that decides to go the other way is take a big risk
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #11
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
you might want to update your information because BJ Autohaus closed down years ago and non of BJ subsidiaries carries Dinan. Auto West BMW used to carry Dinan, and their subsidiaries Performance One carries Dinan now. But you have to understand Performance One is run at a different location and focuses on performance mods for all makes. Park Shore BMW, I am not sure as I don't go there at all.
My point was that Dinan is being stocked and sold by a BMW dealership, so I'm confused when you state that it is not being carried or sold by dealerships, you, in fact, may want to "update your information" lol
I avoid BJ so I stand corrected...
I do understand 'performance one' is run at a different location...although they are almost close enough to spit on Auto West, but point taken...
Cheers!
Finally some good weather the last few weeks, huh?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 01:14 AM   #12
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

First off like to say, it's his money and he can do whatever he wants with it.

On a second note, Dinan doesn't list a gts tuner but only non and zcp models. I have a stage 3 non zcp sitting around but have a zcp. Dinan says it won't work. Makes no sense to me since it's just a piggy back. I'm running a stage 1 race chip and there is no specific model for zcp or not

So my question is which did you get

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 01:39 AM   #13
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
First off like to say, it's his money and he can do whatever he wants with it.

On a second note, Dinan doesn't list a gts tuner but only non and zcp models. I have a stage 3 non zcp sitting around but have a zcp. Dinan says it won't work. Makes no sense to me since it's just a piggy back. I'm running a stage 1 race chip and there is no specific model for zcp or not

So my question is which did you get
I don't have a Dinan tune on my GTS because I want to keep my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 01:51 AM   #14
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
My point was that Dinan is being stocked and sold by a BMW dealership, so I'm confused when you state that it is not being carried or sold by dealerships, you, in fact, may want to "update your information" lol
I avoid BJ so I stand corrected...
I do understand 'performance one' is run at a different location...although they are almost close enough to spit on Auto West, but point taken...
Cheers!
Finally some good weather the last few weeks, huh?
I just asked my contact at a bmw dealer, they are allowed to sell it but can't install it. BMW Canada will see the work order and its a central system used.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #15
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just asked my contact at a bmw dealer, they are allowed to sell it but can't install it. BMW Canada will see the work order and its a central system used.
Very interesting, I was discussing having the 'Dinan heat exchanger' installed at Park Shore BMW last week and the representative stated that they do the work there but, to your point, perhaps they invoice using a different name.... I'll check with my guy and get back to you....
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #16
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

Those washers for midpipe clearance, are they supplied by Dinan? Seems like a lot of washers, I would look into spacers for a better option but check with installer. If only a couple of washers I doubt it makes a difference, but can't tell from pictures.

Another note, I have Dinan stuff and although a bit expensive I concur with your statements

Last edited by 4DRS55; 06-11-2017 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #17
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Congrats on the Stage 3
I have the exact same setup on my comp pkg. F80 M3. I absolutely love it and it sounds great. 6mos of reliable and consistent performance.

I have had DINAN mods over the years for M3 & M5 and have been very lucky that there have been no warranty issues. Main reason I believe is DINANs approach, R&D etc and the fact probably "hold back" a bit on performance.

Anyway I'm confidant if there should be a problem I'll have backing of both DINAN and dealer since it was sold through my local dealership with whom I have a very good relationship and history of buying cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #18
Chris@BAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRS55 View Post
Those washers for midpipe clearance, are they supplied by Dinan? Seems like a lot of washers, I would look into spacers for a better option but check with installer. If only a couple of washers I doubt it makes a difference, but can't tell from pictures.

Another note, I have Dinan stuff and although a bit expensive I concur with your statements
There only 3 washers to make the clearance plus I knocked the brace so the pipe could fit... it makes the mid pipe able to be installed but like I said I was looking into other options and I had my doubts about Dinan but with what people say on this forum about Dinan compared to what it really dose is a different story the tune is great maybe to others it's not what they are looking for but for me it's the exact power and torque curve I wanted in my car the car reacts and the power delivery is exactly what I wanted the power curve is so smooth
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #19
Tan
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4

Quote:
This is untrue. I had my Dinan installed by a BMW dealership here in Canada only a few months ago. I got quoted from 3 different ones actually that were prepared to do so.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #20
grundlehunter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Why must people interject their unwanted opinion in these threads? Could we talk about the OP's install without turning every single Dinan thread into the exact same nonsense? That'd be cool..

OP - do you have any videos? I'm mulling the Dinan full exhaust idea and would love to hear how it sounds.
Appreciate 1
NOLATom104.00
      06-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats OP!

Glad you are happy with your mods

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0