Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

01-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #89
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Or maybe what you "think" you hear isn't active sound There... I bet I just blew your mind with that one

I'm a firm believer that many are inflicted by placebo effect and because they know there is active sound believe they can hear it. I would bet $1,000 that if BMW didn't tell anyone it existed that there would not be one person here claiming to hear fake sound. I could be wrong... some will say I am and that's OK... but that is my opinion. People know it is there so they interpret certain sounds as being active sound... maybe, just maybe, that is how the car actually sounds? There... blew your mind again didn't I?
For someone who doesnt own the car he sure is an expert on its deficiencies. I guess a 5 min test drive tells all.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #90
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Has there been actual confirmation that with the M3/4 that Active Sound is actually artificially pre-recorded tracks? I know that the initial thread discussing this very clearly states that with the M3/4 that Active Sound was distinctly different from the M5/6 in that it amplifies live engine sound.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=893548

I do understand that people have recently shown that you can code different engine sounds based upon model, but has it been proven that the M3/4 is NOT using amplified live engine sounds???? Has it been quantitatively shown that in fact it's using pre-recorded mp3's?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #91
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
I disagree. I do not believe that was the intention. The exhaust note confirms that. There is no mistaking that this is an inline 6. Very e46-y rasp.

We must not forget that turbos just muffle any decent exhaust/engine noise you may have produced. Couple that with modern day "luxury" cabin insulation and it does not take much to see how they arrived at this conclusion. I sincerely believe that is all there is to it. No attempt at appealing to these guys or the others.
I was referring to the noise piped in on the inside, not the outside. Outside there is no mistaking the inline 6T, and I should know because I'm coming from the N54. But when I sat inside the F80 for the first time, it did sound akin to a V8 exhaust note, albeit artificial. In any event, I'm pretty use to it now after some 2 months and 3000 miles, that I don't pay any attension to it. Most likey will leave it as is.

And yes, A/S is here to stay, the results, likely saving most of us thousands of dollars for upgraded performance aftermarket exhausts that do little to enhance performance.
      01-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #92
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
And on top of that, the thread that mentions being able to code your car to sound like any active engine:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1080888

Is referring to M235 owners coding their vehicles to sound like the S55 (or whatever).

That doesn't mean, necessarily, that Active Sound is implemented identically to the M3/4 as it is in the M235.

I'm only asking for clarification here, as a few posts up it is being claimed with no uncertainty that Active Sound is nothing more than a pre-recorded track with the M3/4. I just haven't seen any confirmation of that.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #93
nene
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Various

Garage List
2015 BMW M4c  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers View Post
Here's my take:
With windows up the cabin is quieter...noticeably quieter. "2-3% sound increase from ASD" as quoted by someone on the forum (who was quoting someone at BMW) is just false. Especially notice the lack of enhanced sound during WOT at 2-5k RPM.

With windows down, the noise is still very similar but more hollow. The sound seems to be entirely coming from the rear of the car, and the cabin is more muted and empty.
I've had the BMW M-Performance exhaust on for a few week OP just to see the differences between stock and perf exhausts. I finally had the ASD coded to off this past weekend.

I agree with the statement that he sound is now "...seems to be entirely coming from the rear of the car...", which is more normal to me.
However I found that my in-cabin drone sound went down by at least 30%. Not sure how the stock and perf exhausts differ in that regard, and how the ASD electronics are affected.
With ASD on I found the in-cabin noise to be too video-game(ish). Normally drive with 'M1' mode, or regular 2-bar. The sound between both both programs appear very similar.

I do prefer ASD off, and that is just personal preference. ASD on was great too while I had it available, but no plans to return to it at this time.
      01-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #94
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
Has there been actual confirmation that with the M3/4 that Active Sound is actually artificially pre-recorded tracks? I know that the initial thread discussing this very clearly states that with the M3/4 that Active Sound was distinctly different from the M5/6 in that it amplifies live engine sound.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=893548

I do understand that people have recently shown that you can code different engine sounds based upon model, but has it been proven that the M3/4 is NOT using amplified live engine sounds???? Has it been quantitatively shown that in fact it's using pre-recorded mp3's?
Yes, too lazy to find the links but there was an engineer saying they couldn't get rid of lag with live mic so they reproduce an altered sound via the box on the left side of your trunk. Volume varies from zero on comfort to unknown, and the ASD removes 2-3% of the original sound due to "unpleasant" qualities. It's the same system in all the BMWs and their version of what other manufacturers use.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #95
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yes, too lazy to find the links but there was an engineer saying they couldn't get rid of lag with live mic so they reproduce an altered sound via the box on the left side of your trunk. Volume varies from zero on comfort to unknown, and the ASD removes 2-3% of the original sound due to "unpleasant" qualities. It's the same system in all the BMWs and their version of what other manufacturers use.
I'm not sure about that. I have read many times the M3 system is different from the F series M5/M6. I don't have time to try to find the article but it was posted on here many times.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #96
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I remember seeing the same video. The engineer actually said they tried it, spending a considerable amount of $ to try to get a real-time exhaust note into the car but it didn't work, timing was off. So they went to this recorded version that matched up with where the motor was in the rev range, or something like that.
      01-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #97
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Ah, ok, thanks. Just for the life of me, I went through many threads and just couldn't see where it was definitively stated. It seemed like BMW initially said one thing stating it was "different", and then another conflicting message.

It doesn't surprise me though, initial press releases are often put out touting features that actually never make it through or get modified after already announced.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #98
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I'm not sure about that. I have read many times the M3 system is different from the F series M5/M6. I don't have time to try to find the article but it was posted on here many times.
I thought that as well....that it was unique. But now there seems to be conflicting info.

I don't really care either way, tbh, but i'd like to just know what it is.

I guess i'm a red pill kinda guy.....

ps...incidentally, going through the 10 pages of the Active Sound coding thread there seems to be varying levels of success to this. Some claim in the 235's to not being able to reproduce any other engine sound. All have claimed to try the S63 and failed. Many just state that when they attempt to code anything else it just shuts down Active Sound. That can just be user error, however. There just doesn't seem to be widespread success....which makes me wonder whether or not Active Sound truly is the same across all models (even if the options standardly show in software).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #99
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought that as well....that it was unique. But now there seems to be conflicting info.

And you see where that went!
      01-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #100
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Here ya go. Explains how it's different vs the M5 system.

http://www.motoringresearch.com/news...eal-0513943059
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #101
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
And you see where that went!
Yeah, down a shit hole and fast. I felt betrayed by that franchise.....lol

I go from my mind being blown in the first movie to watching a bunch of sweaty, dirty and bloody people dancing in a big pit with some kid screaming "THE WAR IS OVER!".

I had Ewok flashbacks.

As David Byrne said "How did I get here?????"

Last edited by Bluex; 01-27-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #102
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Right I saw that article, and is why it's the basis of my questions. But I wonder if that article was written based upon *initial* specifications and what it was *supposed* to be. Maybe it was all written prior to final implementation?

Media/Marketing or Brand "inaccuracy"??? Say it aint so, Joe.....

Just as confused now, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #103
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right I saw that article, and is why it's the basis of my questions. But I wonder if that article was written based upon *initial* specifications and what it was *supposed* to be. Maybe it was all written prior to final implementation?

Media/Marketing or Brand "inaccuracy"??? Say it aint so, Joe.....

Just as confused now, lol.
Yeah I'm not sure it's real noise or not. I just know it's not the same as the M5 system.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #104
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

Different in that they press two black keys and THEN the white key, not different in that its still a synthesizer.

Gthal is right that most people couldn't tell, hell most people don't care so not even sure it would matter, but the point is we do know and I do care. I don't like the mandatory nature of it and the double speak. If you do it own it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #105
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Different in that they press two black keys and THEN the white key, not different in that its still a synthesizer.

Gthal is right that most people couldn't tell, hell most people don't care so not even sure it would matter, but the point is we do know and I do care. I don't like the mandatory nature of it and the double speak. If you do it own it.
So pull back your trunk lining and unplug it. Not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #106
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So pull back your trunk lining and unplug it. Not a big deal.
With HK audio upgrade yes, but I have read with the standard audio system you cannot just unplug the A/S module. Is this not true?
      01-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #107
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
With HK audio upgrade yes, but I have read with the standard audio system you cannot just unplug the A/S module. Is this not true?
Probably but I didn't know anyone skipped the $800 option :P

For real tho then its just a quick coding session.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #108
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Probably but I didn't know anyone skipped the $800 option :P

For real tho then its just a quick coding session.
I did get to hear the HK unit before ordering, not impressed, but then again I've been a home audiophile system owner for so long(trust me money spent so foolishly it makes $800 look like chump change that my wife thinks I'm crazy), that I must be jaded.

Yeah, something to do with the way the HK has to be wired in series with the A/S, makes it an easy fix to unplug. Unfortunately not so with the stock unit.

My local code guy charges like $10 per code, kinda makes it attractive to give it a try, as it's reversible if one wants it coded back.
      01-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #109
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Or maybe what you "think" you hear isn't active sound There... I bet I just blew your mind with that one

I'm a firm believer that many are inflicted by placebo effect and because they know there is active sound believe they can hear it. I would bet $1,000 that if BMW didn't tell anyone it existed that there would not be one person here claiming to hear fake sound. I could be wrong... some will say I am and that's OK... but that is my opinion. People know it is there so they interpret certain sounds as being active sound... maybe, just maybe, that is how the car actually sounds? There... blew your mind again didn't I?
You know that you can easily deactivate it on the VWs, right? It becomes very easy to discern once you've shut it on and off a few times. However to intrusive at all. It seems that some people "hear it" on the f80 and others don't. Those who do, will get it. Those who are oblivious to it, are happy drivers and will see any posts make mention of it as knocking the car. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #110
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
For someone who doesnt own the car he sure is an expert on its deficiencies. I guess a 5 min test drive tells all.
Not an expert here, but all it takes is 30 seconds. Seriously.

If you don't hear it after a few months of driving your car, there's no getting through to you. Moving along ...
Appreciate 0