R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

07-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #23
funk74
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
Before I figured out how to code my car myself, I got a quote from okee and while I'm sure he's a professional, it was $200+

I have everything coded on my car that I want now....for just the cost of the cable. Can't beat that.....

Plus the satisfaction of learning something new that i can help fellow enthusiasts with.
Plus the knowledge that you can change something else yourself whenever you want to.

When you want it done right, do it yourself!

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #24
USAM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Being able to plug in and change something on-demand, anytime you want, is a big advantage to having someone else code it for you. It doesn't take much time to learn how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #25
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

well guys, I'll write my report up after just coming in from a 40 min drive this evening. Prior to tonight I had everything done that was mentioned except the fdl coding with all the EU changes. I have been driving the car the past few months before tonight and have gotten flashed only a few times by oncoming traffic on narrow 2 Lane roads. so, as you guys suggested, I made all the changes today you suggested and coded them in. I went for a drive and I will say the beam responses seem to adjust a little quicker than before but other than that I honestly noticed little change. I got flashed 4 times tonight by oncoming traffic and I have taken this same route before and have rarely gotten flashed. the beam literally waits til the last second to turn off after adjusting as far away as possible to the side and it acted like that prior to tonight as well. so I continued my drive onto a 4 lane highway and noticed pretty normal operation as advertised both with being behind someone with the lights splitting and tunneling the car in front as well as correctly operating when oncoming cars approached. I'll be honest, I wasn't impressed with the fdl coding changes after I was flashed as many times as I was tonight. I'll keep these changes for a week or so and report in. also these LEDs are bug magnets! I know most cars are this time of year but damn...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #26
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA320 View Post
well guys, I'll write my report up after just coming in from a 40 min drive this evening. Prior to tonight I had everything done that was mentioned except the fdl coding with all the EU changes. I have been driving the car the past few months before tonight and have gotten flashed only a few times by oncoming traffic on narrow 2 Lane roads. so, as you guys suggested, I made all the changes today you suggested and coded them in. I went for a drive and I will say the beam responses seem to adjust a little quicker than before but other than that I honestly noticed little change. I got flashed 4 times tonight by oncoming traffic and I have taken this same route before and have rarely gotten flashed. the beam literally waits til the last second to turn off after adjusting as far away as possible to the side and it acted like that prior to tonight as well. so I continued my drive onto a 4 lane highway and noticed pretty normal operation as advertised both with being behind someone with the lights splitting and tunneling the car in front as well as correctly operating when oncoming cars approached. I'll be honest, I wasn't impressed with the fdl coding changes after I was flashed as many times as I was tonight. I'll keep these changes for a week or so and report in. also these LEDs are bug magnets! I know most cars are this time of year but damn...
Did you code active light distribution?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #27
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

everything was coded as instructed except the Fdl changes to both lhm modules prior to tonight. what is required for what you mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #28
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
This is surprising. I now have have test driven this for about 10 hours. On 2 lane suburban roads (which is where the changes should be even more obvious than on a freeway), oncoming cars always dip their headlights and not one has ever turned the high beams back on or flashed them. So, let's see if we can isolate the issue.

1) Do you have the FLA or the KAFAS camera?

2) If I understand correctly, you had previously done what I call Step 1 in the "How To" I posted in the other thread and last night you just did Step 2: is this correct?
      07-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #29
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've got the FLA camera only and obviously the LED package. I removed the 8S4 and 5?? (it was a while ago) and then VO coded all modules except the DME module. I FDL coded the other changes this evening to both LHM modules as you mentioned. I had my car in for break in inspection last week but nothing was done to the ECU that required me to recode but to make sure I will double check everything again tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
Kooch102.00
      07-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #30
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've got the FLA camera only and obviously the LED package. I removed the 8S4 and 5?? (it was a while ago) and then VO coded all modules except the DME module. I FDL coded the other changes this evening to both LHM modules as you mentioned. I had my car in for break in inspection last week but nothing was done to the ECU that required me to recode but to make sure I will double check everything again tomorrow.
If you have not done much FDL coding in FEM_BODY, the best way to proceed would be to start from scratch and do both steps again (note that for Step 1 you only need to VO code FEM_BODY, FLA/KAFAS, both TMS and both LHM). The only problem with this is that you will have to recode anything you FDL coded in FEM_BODY.

Last edited by dmnc02; 07-20-2015 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #31
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
everything was coded as instructed except the Fdl changes to both lhm modules prior to tonight. what is required for what you mentioned?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=788895

Note FA/VO coding Active Variable Light Distribution in the PDF 2nd Page

Note sure if this would make a difference or not.
Maybe dmnc02 would know?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:44 PM   #32
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=788895

Note FA/VO coding Active Variable Light Distribution in the PDF 2nd Page

Note sure if this would make a difference or not.
Maybe dmnc02 would know?
Yes, that is the same as the "Step 1" I was referring to above: Remove 5AP and 8S4 from the VO and VO code the following ECUs: FEM_BODY, FLA or KAFAS (whichever is present), both TMS and both LHM.
      07-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #33
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks guys. I'll recheck everything today and hopefully get another good drive in tonight.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #34
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA320
the beam literally waits til the last second to turn off after adjusting as far away as possible to the side and it acted like that prior to tonight as well.
I would like to comment on just this part.

Prior to the latest code changes, this was something I noticed significantly and it drove me nuts.

With the latest coding I now get what it's supposed to be doing.

Prior, it wouldn't do much until the opposing car was right on me and then would shut off......now it dynamically creates a tunnel for the oncoming car and ONLY turns the beam to low when the car can no longer maintain that tunnel, which happens to be when it's just about to pass.

If you are not seeing that behavior, and still just noticing the high beam go low at the last second, then almost certainly only "half" of this is working correctly, and the Variable Light Distribution features are not.

This was one of the very first and drastically noticeable improvements I witnessed.

The dynamic tunneling for oncoming cars was really something.

As suggested by others, I would re code from scratch.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #35
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Well it was a late night last night but I believe I was successful with the new coding. Hats off to the guys who figured this out--this must not have been easy, I am arrivinbg late on the scene and am benefiting from your labors.

My car has LED's but no driver's assistance. Tunneling is very apparent and I did not get flashed once although there were not many cars out at 2 AM when I finished up. Everything pretty much works like in the video by the OP and it is amazing, definitely makes the LED's 100% worth it to me. The one peculiarity I found was that the reflection off of street signs would cause the lights to tunnel around and even stoplights in the distance. No big deal, just what I noticed with very little light pollution around in very dark areas.

I would say that in the instructional PDF, it would be beneficial to be more specific with how to FDL code the LHM module, I was unsure which "section" to modify. It became clear when I opened them up and looked at the names but for a first time coder it was a bit nerve-wracking to make an educated guess. I can see how more advanced users can get used to how the system works and the nomenclature involved but for a newbie, navigating E-SYS can be intimidating. Despite this, the vast amount of information out there is really great and I was able to get this done by just having some of the "intro-to coding" PDFS open along with the threads on the topic--I just took my time and did things very carefully.

I am looking forward to some night drives with my "new" headlights as well as doing the CAFD coding now that that stuff is out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #36
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraeburn View Post
Well it was a late night last night but I believe I was successful with the new coding. Hats off to the guys who figured this out--this must not have been easy, I am arrivinbg late on the scene and am benefiting from your labors.

My car has LED's but no driver's assistance. Tunneling is very apparent and I did not get flashed once although there were not many cars out at 2 AM when I finished up. Everything pretty much works like in the video by the OP and it is amazing, definitely makes the LED's 100% worth it to me. The one peculiarity I found was that the reflection off of street signs would cause the lights to tunnel around and even stoplights in the distance. No big deal, just what I noticed with very little light pollution around in very dark areas.

I would say that in the instructional PDF, it would be beneficial to be more specific with how to FDL code the LHM module, I was unsure which "section" to modify. It became clear when I opened them up and looked at the names but for a first time coder it was a bit nerve-wracking to make an educated guess. I can see how more advanced users can get used to how the system works and the nomenclature involved but for a newbie, navigating E-SYS can be intimidating. Despite this, the vast amount of information out there is really great and I was able to get this done by just having some of the "intro-to coding" PDFS open along with the threads on the topic--I just took my time and did things very carefully.

I am looking forward to some night drives with my "new" headlights as well as doing the CAFD coding now that that stuff is out of the way.
Point well taken, thanks: I will update the PDF at some point. In the meanwhile, the attached screenshot should clarify in which section (3000 LIGHT_SPREAD) the functions to be modified are located.

Name:  Screenshot 2015-07-21 09.55.23.png
Views: 1074
Size:  84.9 KB
      07-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #37
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Point well taken, thanks: I will update the PDF at some point. In the meanwhile, the attached screenshot should clarify in which section (3000 LIGHT_SPREAD) the functions to be modified are located.

Attachment 1248389
Like I said, it was obvious once I was in there. "Light Spread" seemed like the most appropriate of the choices there. Due to the ambiguity, I double and triple-checked that I was doing things correctly because I wanted to get it right once and not have to worry about it. As I just starting out coding, all of the terms (FA, FDL, etc.) are new to me so at first I wasn't sure if LHM was something else entirely. Lucky for me, I'm pretty adventurous so I didn't have any issue poking around and making an educated guess.

Of course, for an experienced coder it would be no issue and the info would be sufficient. I thought it would be helpful to give my perspective as someone who is new to BMW coding but also handy enough to go in there and fiddle with things.

Thanks again for the efforts. I am thrilled to have the feature working properly and I can't wait to take someone for a ride to show it off. Also, I'm pleased to be able to go in and do the CAFD coding now as I was waiting until all of the VO coding was completed.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #38
USAM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraeburn View Post
Like I said, it was obvious once I was in there. "Light Spread" seemed like the most appropriate of the choices there. Due to the ambiguity, I double and triple-checked that I was doing things correctly because I wanted to get it right once and not have to worry about it. As I just starting out coding, all of the terms (FA, FDL, etc.) are new to me so at first I wasn't sure if LHM was something else entirely. Lucky for me, I'm pretty adventurous so I didn't have any issue poking around and making an educated guess.

Of course, for an experienced coder it would be no issue and the info would be sufficient. I thought it would be helpful to give my perspective as someone who is new to BMW coding but also handy enough to go in there and fiddle with things.

Thanks again for the efforts. I am thrilled to have the feature working properly and I can't wait to take someone for a ride to show it off. Also, I'm pleased to be able to go in and do the CAFD coding now as I was waiting until all of the VO coding was completed.
Get accustomed to using the Search function in E-Sys in the top-most folders and you'll see how fast and easy it is to find the correct function to modify. I would cut-n-paste the function name from the cheat sheet into the Search field in E-Sys and it worked great. Super fast and it ensures you have the correct function and not one that's slightly similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #39
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAM3 View Post
Get accustomed to using the Search function in E-Sys in the top-most folders and you'll see how fast and easy it is to find the correct function to modify. I would cut-n-paste the function name from the cheat sheet into the Search field in E-Sys and it worked great. Super fast and it ensures you have the correct function and not one that's slightly similar.
Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #40
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Hoping I can get a little assistance here. I am very new to coding. Yesterday was my first time actually messing with the software and changing some settings and have been successful by following many tutorials floating around, including the ones here. I had success coding but this one has me stumped. I have done some more research after coding yesterday and realized that I never VO'd the KAFAS2 Module because I don't have it, I did however VO FEM_BODY and then began coding LHM43 and LHM44 and did notice that some of the values where not the same, mainly the LHM44 module where M3 has an unknown value. I don't have that option in the pull down menu which is what led me to do some more reading and doing some more digging .

My question is regarding the KAFAS2 module, I don't have one. I have been checking out other threads and they mention that the module is only available with the drivers assist package- which I do not have. So, the other thread mentions that I need to VO the FLA3 module in replacement of KAFAS2 . Is this correct or incorrect? If you are wondering ,yes, I do have the lightening package with LED's.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #41
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
Hoping I can get a little assistance here. I am very new to coding. Yesterday was my first time actually messing with the software and changing some settings and have been successful by following many tutorials floating around, including the ones here. I had success coding but this one has me stumped. I have done some more research after coding yesterday and realized that I never VO'd the KAFAS2 Module because I don't have it, I did however VO FEM_BODY and then began coding LHM43 and LHM44 and did notice that some of the values where not the same, mainly the LHM44 module where M3 has an unknown value. I don't have that option in the pull down menu which is what led me to do some more reading and doing some more digging .

My question is regarding the KAFAS2 module, I don't have one. I have been checking out other threads and they mention that the module is only available with the drivers assist package- which I do not have. So, the other thread mentions that I need to VO the FLA3 module in replacement of KAFAS2 . Is this correct or incorrect? If you are wondering ,yes, I do have the lightening package with LED's.
That is correct: you should VO code either KAFAS or FLA (whichever you have).
      07-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #42
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Thanks a lot dmnc!! Definitely need that info in the updated pdf for us newbies :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #43
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
Thanks a lot dmnc!! Definitely need that info in the updated pdf for us newbies :-)
No matter how many pdfs you read or how many videos you watch, it is just a matter of finding the courage to start messing up with your car. Even TokenMaster (the creator of E-Sys Launcher) says in one of his videos that he was "sweating bullets" the first time he coded his car.
      07-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #44
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I figured out that I had initially coded my stuff wrong the other night and the fdl coding I had done didn't go through for some reason. So I recoded and went for a drive. WOW what a difference from the previous coding that many of us thought was correct. you guys nailed it! works as advertised now just like the bmw demo video. great work!
Appreciate 1