Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-03-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
SleepyF80
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP, '20 X5 M Sport

Mini Garmin Dash Cam

Hey guys,

Garmin recently released their mini dash cam. Think it's a nice smaller solution. Anyone have one or know anything about them? Some youtube vid mentioned they overheat.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
SleepyF80
Private
Rep

Pic for reference. Seems like a nice option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
larsek
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Interested as well, esp. in the parking mode
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:36 AM   #4
SleepyF80
Private
Rep

It's pretty small in size. Would love to hear more about it!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 03:10 AM   #5
nyching30
Private
Rep
Drives: Got four wheels and an engine

i have one, mounted it on the black plastic housing behind the rearview mirror. Runs SUPER hot. I added a small heat sink onto the back. So far it hasn't shut off (as had been reported on some of the amazon reviews). It is a bit frustrating to view the recording live. I have apple carplay on the car. My apple phone always seems to want to connect to apple carplay/bmw's wifi even when I've manually disconnected to apple wifi and tried to connect directly to the garmin unit.

Garmin makes a parking kit, but I opted not to purchase it. I just ran the usb wire to the included 12V/USB outlet found beneath the glovebox. I'd also suggest getting the $20 (ridiculous) polarizing filter to reduce glare.

I believe you could also get one for the rear window. i have the built-in auto shade so i dont think that'd work very well.

Otherwise, it is a small, compact dashcam with decent image quality. It works well enough i got one for my old e63.

Hope this helps. I paid around $80 for the unit
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #6
SleepyF80
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyching30 View Post
i have one, mounted it on the black plastic housing behind the rearview mirror. Runs SUPER hot. I added a small heat sink onto the back. So far it hasn't shut off (as had been reported on some of the amazon reviews). It is a bit frustrating to view the recording live. I have apple carplay on the car. My apple phone always seems to want to connect to apple carplay/bmw's wifi even when I've manually disconnected to apple wifi and tried to connect directly to the garmin unit.

Garmin makes a parking kit, but I opted not to purchase it. I just ran the usb wire to the included 12V/USB outlet found beneath the glovebox. I'd also suggest getting the $20 (ridiculous) polarizing filter to reduce glare.

I believe you could also get one for the rear window. i have the built-in auto shade so i dont think that'd work very well.

Otherwise, it is a small, compact dashcam with decent image quality. It works well enough i got one for my old e63.

Hope this helps. I paid around $80 for the unit
Thanks for the feedback bro! Glad it hasn't shut off on ya because that's what reviews have mentioned also. How's parking mode on it? Is there an option to get a magic box or similar to help prevent battery drainage?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #7
nyching30
Private
Rep
Drives: Got four wheels and an engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyF80 View Post
Thanks for the feedback bro! Glad it hasn't shut off on ya because that's what reviews have mentioned also. How's parking mode on it? Is there an option to get a magic box or similar to help prevent battery drainage?
hey there. I didn't purchase the parking mode wiring. So, mine shuts off when the car is off.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
SleepyF80
Private
Rep

Noted!
Appreciate 0