R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30/M550ix 2019

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
BMW Newbie Looking for Advice on Buying 2018 M3

So I am completely new to M3 and BMW purchasing but I am not totally new to the cars. I am in the market for new ride and started looking a the M3 only to realize that the car is not going to be produced in 2019. So my question is "Is is a bad time to buy a M3" I read over the "Official 2018 M3/4 and 2019 M4 Pricing Thread" https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1349306

If I am reading it right you are getting a decent deal if you can be within a few thousand dollars of a 7% discount. As I look around there are not too many dealers within a reasonable distance from me offering much of a dealer discount. Most are listing MSRP or very close to it. I assume that this is because of the limited time left on the 2018 M3 production. They have a limited number of cars and no definitive date for the arrival of a G80 based M3. I am looking to purchase not lease so no leasing discount for me. I am not a current BMW owner so no loyalty/return buyer $$$$. I am not a recent college grad so can't get that $$$. I am a USAA member so I can get $500 there. I have excellent credit so the 2.5 APR should be in play. I cannot find any other incentives that I would be eligible for. Please let me know if I have missed something.

From what I have been able to determine it is too late to order a 2018 M3 unless you find a dealer who already has an allocation but does not have a buyer. The original plan was to get the Tanzanite Blue, Competition Package, Executive Package + a few other minor tweaks but I think that window has passed. The Tanzanite Blue is no longer listed on the build sheet according to a localish dealer. y guess is I will be able to find a suitable substitute for the exterior color if I am willing to compromise on that point. I am not interested in the CS because the cost to benefit rato does not work for me. I think the law of diminishing returns is too high.

At this point it seems like my hope of getting the exact car I want is not going to happen unless I get lucky and a dealer with an allocation orders the car I want and does not have a buyer already. I am not in an immediate need situation in terms of "needing" a new car so it is conceivable I would wait until the new 2020 M3 is out.

So the question I am asking the collective mind here is 2018 M3 pricing going to stay until the 2020 M3 is released. Are there incentives for dealers to give discounts on these cars knowing that they will not see more of them until the 2020 is released. Given the current state of production what is a reasonable discount to expect off of MRSP? Sorry for the long winded first post. What is the best way to get a dealer to discount the car outside the factory authorized incentives? Thank you for your responses in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
So I am completely new to M3 and BMW purchasing but I am not totally new to the cars. I am in the market for new ride and started looking a the M3 only to realize that the car is not going to be produced in 2019. So my question is "Is is a bad time to buy a M3" I read over the "Official 2018 M3/4 and 2019 M4 Pricing Thread" https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1349306

If I am reading it right you are getting a decent deal if you can be within a few thousand dollars of a 7% discount. As I look around there are not too many dealers within a reasonable distance from me offering much of a dealer discount. Most are listing MSRP or very close to it. I assume that this is because of the limited time left on the 2018 M3 production. They have a limited number of cars and no definitive date for the arrival of a G80 based M3. I am looking to purchase not lease so no leasing discount for me. I am not a current BMW owner so no loyalty/return buyer $$$$. I am not a recent college grad so can't get that $$$. I am a USAA member so I can get $500 there. I have excellent credit so the 2.5 APR should be in play. I cannot find any other incentives that I would be eligible for. Please let me know if I have missed something.

From what I have been able to determine it is too late to order a 2018 M3 unless you find a dealer who already has an allocation but does not have a buyer. The original plan was to get the Tanzanite Blue, Competition Package, Executive Package + a few other minor tweaks but I think that window has passed. The Tanzanite Blue is no longer listed on the build sheet according to a localish dealer. y guess is I will be able to find a suitable substitute for the exterior color if I am willing to compromise on that point. I am not interested in the CS because the cost to benefit rato does not work for me. I think the law of diminishing returns is too high.

At this point it seems like my hope of getting the exact car I want is not going to happen unless I get lucky and a dealer with an allocation orders the car I want and does not have a buyer already. I am not in an immediate need situation in terms of "needing" a new car so it is conceivable I would wait until the new 2020 M3 is out.

So the question I am asking the collective mind here is 2018 M3 pricing going to stay until the 2020 M3 is released. Are there incentives for dealers to give discounts on these cars knowing that they will not see more of them until the 2020 is released. Given the current state of production what is a reasonable discount to expect off of MRSP? Sorry for the long winded first post. What is the best way to get a dealer to discount the car outside the factory authorized incentives? Thank you for your responses in advance.
Since you are new to the brand, but not new to car purchasing, your best bet is to think of this like you are buying "the hot car", which is what the M3 is right now.

Some people will get discounts, depending on their negotiating skills, dealer inventory, etc. You may read stories of people getting them close to invoice etc. That doesnt mean you will be able to do so.

6.5 to 7% is rough "dealer invoice" which doesnt mean what it used to mean but thats for another time. If you got a price that was 1500-2k over dealer invoice, that would not be horrible in this market right now.

There will not be a 2019 or 2020 M3, and your window for ordering one has passed (basically). Tanzanite is a special order color, that would only be ordered for a dealer sold vehicle (ordered for a customer), so that means if a tanzanite M3 is out there, its because someone backed out of the order for some reason. Likely not going to get much of a discount if a dealer has one of those because the M3 is a hot car right now.

Not sure what you mean by "the pricing is going to stay" as since there wont be new 2019 or 2020 M3s (signs point to the next M3 being a 2021, relased at the end of 2020), whatever is on dealer lots is what you will be buying from. As supply dwindles, pricing is "Likely" to firm up close to where you are seeing now... unless the dealer has some specific reason to think they cant move a specific unit

(strange color, non competition package, demo unit, etc).

"best way" to get a dealer discount is to find a high volume dealer and purchase from them, if they have one still. Its just like negotiating on any other "hot car" scenerio. I avoid that scenerio myself, but if you find yourself having to have the "hot thing" you need to be willing to pay a bit more for it.

EDIT:

Also OP, welcome! As for the length of your first post, dont worry about it. Speaking for myself here, I would much rather see (and respond to) a first post like yours, which shows that you read through available information, know the current climate around the car, read about bmw ordering / buying process etc.. and have valid questions, rather than the normal " Hi I am new, what should I pay for my M3? Whats everyone paying for these? I heard I can get 10k off?" type posts.

Last edited by jjrandorin; 09-21-2018 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Other pieces of advice I would give along with JJ's sage advice, don't limit yourself to local dealers. If you really want a certain car, expand your search to the whole US. Even from CA shipping is less than $2K, or you can always fly out and have a trip to get acquainted with your new ride.

lso, I know you said you weren't leasing, but did you consider a lease takeover on swapalease (or similar). You might be able to get into a M3 for 24 months at a discount which will then hold you over until the new models come out, and then you order exactly what you want. Just something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Since you are new to the brand, but not new to car purchasing, your best bet is to think of this like you are buying "the hot car", which is what the M3 is right now.

Some people will get discounts, depending on their negotiating skills, dealer inventory, etc. You may read stories of people getting them close to invoice etc. That doesnt mean you will be able to do so.

6.5 to 7% is rough "dealer invoice" which doesnt mean what it used to mean but thats for another time. If you got a price that was 1500-2k over dealer invoice, that would not be horrible in this market right now.

There will not be a 2019 or 2020 M3, and your window for ordering one has passed (basically). Tanzanite is a special order color, that would only be ordered for a dealer sold vehicle (ordered for a customer), so that means if a tanzanite M3 is out there, its because someone backed out of the order for some reason. Likely not going to get much of a discount if a dealer has one of those because the M3 is a hot car right now.

Not sure what you mean by "the pricing is going to stay" as since there wont be new 2019 or 2020 M3s (signs point to the next M3 being a 2021, relased at the end of 2020), whatever is on dealer lots is what you will be buying from. As supply dwindles, pricing is "Likely" to firm up close to where you are seeing now... unless the dealer has some specific reason to think they cant move a specific unit

(strange color, non competition package, demo unit, etc).

"best way" to get a dealer discount is to find a high volume dealer and purchase from them, if they have one still. Its just like negotiating on any other "hot car" scenerio. I avoid that scenerio myself, but if you find yourself having to have the "hot thing" you need to be willing to pay a bit more for it.

EDIT:

Also OP, welcome! As for the length of your first post, dont worry about it. Speaking for myself here, I would much rather see (and respond to) a first post like yours, which shows that you read through available information, know the current climate around the car, read about bmw ordering / buying process etc.. and have valid questions, rather than the normal " Hi I am new, what should I pay for my M3? Whats everyone paying for these? I heard I can get 10k off?" type posts.
Thank you so much for this reply. I think the way you described it is exactly how I am looking at it. The M3 right now is a "hot car". It is a great platform and the fact we are not going to see new ones until late 2020 is making them "hotter" maybe too hot. LOL

I am realistic that in the current environment I am going to pay close to or atl least closer to MSRP then I would if I was looking at this car at this time last year. Sometimes your timing is not perfect but you want what you want. I completely understand the idea that not everyone gets a deal. When someone gets a great deal there is more focus and conversation around it then paying close to MSRP for the exact car you want. Its kind of like going to Vegas. People always talk about the times they won not about the times they lost.

As to the "price is going to stay" comment I guess what I am asking is there anything else on the horizon that I am unaware of that would cause the demand on what is left of these cars to diminish. From my research there isn't anything and if anything as the supply goes down the market has the potential to get even hotter.

I think a little more research and digging should lead me to the right choice for me. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASoxFan View Post
Other pieces of advice I would give along with JJ's sage advice, don't limit yourself to local dealers. If you really want a certain car, expand your search to the whole US. Even from CA shipping is less than $2K, or you can always fly out and have a trip to get acquainted with your new ride.

lso, I know you said you weren't leasing, but did you consider a lease takeover on swapalease (or similar). You might be able to get into a M3 for 24 months at a discount which will then hold you over until the new models come out, and then you order exactly what you want. Just something to think about.
Yeah I am looking in a 500+ mile radius. I am trying to find a high volume dealer. I am not too far from Atlanta and United BMW there seems to have a decent inventory which would help me but again in the current climate I do not see the dealers taking less when the inventory and availability is shrinking.

I will look into the swapalease and see what is out there. If I can find the right deal that might be viable solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

search on this forum, there are a couple of forum sponsor dealers that have recently started threads saying that they have really aggressive pricing. give them a try, i'm sure they will have no problem trucking a car to NC.

it makes no sense to me that dealers are sticking to their guns on MSRP for 2018's. this is the exact time of year that they should be very aggressively discounting to get rid of their '18 inventory.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
search on this forum, there are a couple of forum sponsor dealers that have recently started threads saying that they have really aggressive pricing. give them a try, i'm sure they will have no problem trucking a car to NC.

it makes no sense to me that dealers are sticking to their guns on MSRP for 2018's. this is the exact time of year that they should be very aggressively discounting to get rid of their '18 inventory.
I would agree normally with that but there are no M3s coming for the rest of 2018, 2019 and most of 2020 so they know if you want a new M3 in the next 20-30 months you will have to pay for it.

I hope I am wrong. I have located 2 possibilities that could work for me. One is much more local than the other but both are do able.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
KingBurt323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

even though you are purchasing just lease it right now so you get the lease discount then when your lease is up you tell them you wanna buy it
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
I would agree normally with that but there are no M3s coming for the rest of 2018, 2019 and most of 2020 so they know if you want a new M3 in the next 20-30 months you will have to pay for it.

I hope I am wrong. I have located 2 possibilities that could work for me. One is much more local than the other but both are do able.
that could be true locally or regionally (or in the minds of delusional dealers), but not across the whole country for a commoditized product like an M3. are you reticent to buy a non-local car? the risk is gonna be pretty low, buying a brand new car with full warranty from a franchised dealer.

here is the thread i wanted to show you. talk to GOLFFRR

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1534191

he doesn't say what "aggressive pricing" means exactly, but in another thread he was saying they were offering '18 M5's under invoice. i'm sure he'll be happy to tell you privately, though. it should at least be much better than MSRP.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10776.00
      09-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
that could be true locally or regionally (or in the minds of delusional dealers), but not across the whole country for a commoditized product like an M3. are you reticent to buy a non-local car? the risk is gonna be pretty low, buying a brand new car with full warranty from a franchised dealer.

here is the thread i wanted to show you. talk to GOLFFRR

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1534191

he doesn't say what "aggressive pricing" means exactly, but in another thread he was saying they were offering '18 M5's under invoice. i'm sure he'll be happy to tell you privately, though. it should at least be much better than MSRP.
Thanks for the link I looked at their inventory and it doesn't have quiet what I am looking for but I might inquire about the Imola Red ones he has coming in.

I am not against buying the car and having it shipped in but I am trying to assess the cost advantages of "aggressive pricing" vs the cost of shipping.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10776.00
      09-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
I'd consider a three year lease for the F80, which will bring you to the point when you can purchase a G80 M3 (or purchase the F80 out of the lease if you don't like the G80).
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #12
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Look in the forum classifieds.

Worst case, find a dealer willing to sell at invoice or below before incentives.

I'd never personally buy an M car above invoice and never have. There are no M cars rare enough to be sold at MSRP IMO.
      09-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
PM'd
      09-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #14
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Thanks for everyones help and input. I am getting close to locking in a deal on a Avus Blue M3 with Competition package, executive package and DCT. Pretty much what my wife wanted in a car. Originally was looking at tanzanite blue. The color was very important to her. I know if we were a little more flexible on that I might have been able to get a better deal.

It is not a under or at invoice deal but got $4000 in dealer concessions, USAA incentive, $2500 finance incentive, 2.5% on the loan from BMW credit and the $500 from BMW CCA - the 3 yr membership. I think am did ok. The 2.5% on the loan was the best rate I could find. Other cars with better discounts in other areas had higher APRs liek in the 3.5 range so we will be helped a little bit on the back end with the financing. So a total of $7281 off the $81,045 MSRP for a car with a free $4,000 paint job in a color the wife loves with the setup she wanted. Things like the black M666 wheels. Sometimes keeping the wife happy is more important than a few $$$ here and there. I don't have to ship the car and can pick it up local.

Still trying to run down if the M Gruppe can be used with the USAA discount or not. If it can throw another $500 into the mix. We were considering the CS but it just pushed us past the point of diminishing returns. Should be picking it up Saturday.

Thanks again for everyones help.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 05:02 AM   #15
Moneygrowsontrees
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Thanks for everyones help and input. I am getting close to locking in a deal on a Avus Blue M3 with Competition package, executive package and DCT. Pretty much what my wife wanted in a car. Originally was looking at tanzanite blue. The color was very important to her. I know if we were a little more flexible on that I might have been able to get a better deal.

It is not a under or at invoice deal but got $4000 in dealer concessions, USAA incentive, $2500 finance incentive, 2.5% on the loan from BMW credit and the $500 from BMW CCA - the 3 yr membership. I think am did ok. The 2.5% on the loan was the best rate I could find. Other cars with better discounts in other areas had higher APRs liek in the 3.5 range so we will be helped a little bit on the back end with the financing. So a total of $7281 off the $81,045 MSRP for a car with a free $4,000 paint job in a color the wife loves with the setup she wanted. Things like the black M666 wheels. Sometimes keeping the wife happy is more important than a few $$$ here and there. I don't have to ship the car and can pick it up local.

Still trying to run down if the M Gruppe can be used with the USAA discount or not. If it can throw another $500 into the mix. We were considering the CS but it just pushed us past the point of diminishing returns. Should be picking it up Saturday.

Thanks again for everyones help.
This car was for her ! The whole time !

We developed an emotional attachment to you !

I feel betrayed 😫
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #16
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

I leased my 2018 m3 competition.6 speed. No other packages. Msrp was $72245. I got it down to 66500ish. It was 1k under invoice.. Then 3500 rebate. (3000 bmw lease credit and $500 usaa member. Took a bunch of shopping around. But they made the deal.
      09-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #17
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneygrowsontrees View Post
This car was for her ! The whole time !

We developed an emotional attachment to you !

I feel betrayed 😫
Don't you worry I will be around!

Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #18
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
I leased my 2018 m3 competition.6 speed. No other packages. Msrp was $72245. I got it down to 66500ish. It was 1k under invoice.. Then 3500 rebate. (3000 bmw lease credit and $500 usaa member. Took a bunch of shopping around. But they made the deal.
Good deal not the car we were looking for but glad it worked for you.
Appreciate 0