Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-08-2017, 06:03 AM   #45
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
does adding downpipes or putting any aftermarket exhaust other than the MPE void your warranty in the US/Canada/UK?

Reason I ask is because here in Dubai, if you put anything other than the MPE or AC Schnitzer Exhaust your car's warranty is void. The only reason AC Schnitzer here doesn't void your warranty is because it is sold by the dealer
In Canada (at least here in Quebec), tampering with the emissions system can get you pretty hefty fines. The police can actually have you take the car off the road (have you towed on the spot) if they suspect you are not emissions compliant. I dodged it long enough when I was running my modded GTis back in the ninetees. Now I don't want to deal with that stress, hence why I went with the MPE. I find it is one of the best sounding fully emissions compliant exhaust for the F8X plus it retains full factory warranty for a simple one-stop-shop for any issue.

Also in Canada, a dealer/manufacturer can only deny warranty if they can link the modifications to the malfunction. For example they cannot deny a warranty claim for a wheel bearing because you have an exhaust. However, if you tamper with the emissions system (as down and mid pipes do) and have issues with the engine, the door is open to denied warranty claims.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #46
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Is it just my vision, or is the MPE a lower profile muffler that doesn't show as much as the stock muffler? I absolutely hate the way the stock muffler sits 5 inches beneath the bumper. It's plain ugly and a bad design.
I apologize if anyone is upset by me bumping this old-ish thread. I found this thread very helpful - special thanks to those who posted the videos. I am currently shopping for an off-the-lot f8* M3 or M4 and, as with many/most of you, exhaust is important to me. Between the difference in sound *and* looks, this thread helped me to decide to go MPE. Thank you.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #47
Jbellah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
I apologize if anyone is upset by me bumping this old-ish thread. I found this thread very helpful - special thanks to those who posted the videos. I am currently shopping for an off-the-lot f8* M3 or M4 and, as with many/most of you, exhaust is important to me. Between the difference in sound *and* looks, this thread helped me to decide to go MPE. Thank you.
MPE is a good choice, when i bring mine it the guys at a the dealership say mine sounds better then the zcp.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #48
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

I drove 300 miles in a stock ZCP and 180 miles in my new ZCP with MPE. If you like the burbles you will LOVE the MPE. If you hate the burbles, you need to buy the Ahkrapovic (spelling?) and then you will love that over the stock ZCP exhaust. The ZCP exhaust is quiet. Sounds better than non ZCP exhaust but, is so quiet to me compared to the other two. If you like that, obviously that wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing. ZCP exhaust burbles are lower in volume than the fundamental note. With the MPE, the burbles are equally as loud as the fundamental (that’s why I say you won’t like It if you’re not burble happy).

Last edited by Robotechnology; 09-26-2018 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 09:24 PM   #49
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology View Post
I drove 300 miles in a stock ZCP and 180 miles in my new ZCP with MPE. If you like the burbles you will LOVE the MPE. If you hate the burbles, you need to buy the Ahkrapovic (spelling?) and then you will love that over the stock ZCP exhaust. The ZCP exhaust is quiet. Sounds better than non ZCP exhaust but, is so quiet to me compared to the other two. If you like that, obviously that wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing. ZCP exhaust burbles are lower in volume than the fundamental note. With the MPE, the burbles are equally as loud as the fundamental (that’s why I say you won’t like It if you’re not burble happy).
Yes.

My car came with mpe (zcp car) and I hate the burbles. They are extremely loud and just don’t sound right to me personally.

I am in the process now of swapping to zcp. Perhaps I’ll add an AA midpipe later.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #50
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Personally I love stock in the F8x. It sounds pure. It's not too loud or aggressive. But I do like some burbles and stock has none. ZCP has burbles but not the kind I like. MPE is too aggressive. ZCP with MPE is far too aggressive for me (but fun to experience in person). I think that once burbles get too aggressive they take away from the overall sound rather than enhance it. MPE in an M40i vehicle sounds near perfect to me. But MPE in a higher displacing engine like the S55 is just too much.

After doing a little research I found a possible setup for the F8x that I might go with because it produces a much less aggressive burble than most setups. It's the Active Autowerke Signature exhaust. Another setup that I also like which has very slight burble for the F8x is the aFe Power exhaust.
      10-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #51
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

MPE doesn't sound good to me. Stock ZCP is the sweet spot with valve open, if only void of the burbles, ideally. It's smooth and deep with just enough volume to notice without being obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #52
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
does adding downpipes or putting any aftermarket exhaust other than the MPE void your warranty in the US/Canada/UK?

Reason I ask is because here in Dubai, if you put anything other than the MPE or AC Schnitzer Exhaust your car's warranty is void. The only reason AC Schnitzer here doesn't void your warranty is because it is sold by the dealer
In Canada (at least here in Quebec), tampering with the emissions system can get you pretty hefty fines. The police can actually have you take the car off the road (have you towed on the spot) if they suspect you are not emissions compliant. I dodged it long enough when I was running my modded GTis back in the ninetees. Now I don't want to deal with that stress, hence why I went with the MPE. I find it is one of the best sounding fully emissions compliant exhaust for the F8X plus it retains full factory warranty for a simple one-stop-shop for any issue.

Also in Canada, a dealer/manufacturer can only deny warranty if they can link the modifications to the malfunction. For example they cannot deny a warranty claim for a wheel bearing because you have an exhaust. However, if you tamper with the emissions system (as down and mid pipes do) and have issues with the engine, the door is open to denied warranty claims.
Did you put the MPE on your CS yet? If so - how much different/better is the MPE on the CS vs. the MPE on the ZCP?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 09:10 PM   #53
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Did you put the MPE on your CS yet? If so - how much different/better is the MPE on the CS vs. the MPE on the ZCP?
Yup, I've had the MPE on my CS since day one. I've never owned a CP with MPE, but compared to my civic M4 with MPE, the CS sounds better with a deeper tone and the burbles on decel.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #54
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

Someone help me out here... what is a civic M3/M4? Is that just slang for a non competition or something else?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #55
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Nice!! I've never tracked my ZCP with the MPE - except for once in the rain where I couldn't push the car at all - can't wait until next track season where I can really push the car and hear that MPE in full glory! [All other experiences were with my civic F80 with standard exhaust].
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #56
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology View Post
Someone help me out here... what is a civic M3/M4? Is that just slang for a non competition or something else?
Yes slang for base model
Appreciate 0