Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-21-2021, 03:01 AM   #1
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

DIY: Transmission mount and rear shifter bushing install

The factory shift feel with the F8X 6 speed is a bit vague. I’ve had issues with feedback when shifting from 1st-2nd and 3rd-2nd where the shifter wanders. It feels like there is a lot of lateral transmission movement when this occurs.

After researching the options, I decided to attempt to improve shift feel without a short shifter kit. A combination of Rogue Engineering transmission mounts and a Turner polyurethane rear shifter bushing was installed. The goal was achieved with this combo. The transmission moves less and the shifter bushing lets you feel and hear when it is in gear.

The install took a couple hours at a leisurely pace where I stopped to take photos. The mounts and bushing will need basic tools to install: 8mm-15mm and e-torx sockets, extensions, universal joints, and a jack to prop up the transmission. Two new downpipe to mid pipe gaskets and some silicon grease are required. The gaskets are part number 18307851168. I used Super Lube brand grease.

Rogue Engineering transmission mounts allow less transmission movement compared to the stock units. These mounts are rubber and don’t noticeably increase vibration.

The Turner shifter bushing uses 70A polyurethane. Stock is rubber. The new bushing provides a more direct shifter feel. If you are driving normal, it is quiet. If you are shifting quickly, an audible “clock” sound and feeling in the shifter tells you when it is in gear.

The exhaust needs to be out of the way of the transmission tunnel to reach everything. Loosen and remove the mid pipe and axle back connections and move the mid pipe to the passenger side of the car. Two underbody panels need removed. The black panel under the transmission that attaches to the belly pan at the front and the metal panel under the driveshaft.

Your work area should look like this with exhaust and under body panels addressed. You can see the bottom nuts and studs for the transmission mounts on the rear transmission support and the rear shifter bushing mounting point above the driveshaft where it changes from black to carbon.

This is the stock rear shifter bushing location. Remove the two e-torx bolts and slide the bushing off the back of the shifter arm. The passenger side bolt will require a universal joint for the socket and will need removed by hand after breaking loose due to driveshaft clearance.

Clean old grease off the shifter arm. Apply new, silicone grease to the shifter arm and bushing. Install the bushing with the Turner logo facing toward the body and with the bump stop looking side facing the shifter arm. Row through the gears slow and quickly to check out the new feel and make sure there are no issues.

Support the transmission near the rear transmission support with a jack. Loosen the bottom nuts and remove the top nuts on the transmission mounts. Remove the four bolts holding the rear transmission support to the body. Swap the Rogue mounts onto the rear transmission support and tighten the bottom nuts. Ensure the notch alignment is correct.

Install the rear support bracket. Lower the jack so that the transmission weight is on the transmission mounts. Tighten the top nuts on the transmission mounts.

Install the metal and black underbody panels. Install the exhaust. Be sure to install new gaskets on the connection to the down pipes. I tried to re-use old gaskets and they leaked. I got to do exhaust portion of the job a second time. The old, bad gasket is on the left and a new gasket is on the right. The gasket needs enough crush to form to the inside of the pipes.

I find it easiest to hand tighten all of the exhaust components at first so that there is room to adjust alignment. Expect to tweak the exhaust fitment a few times before it is perfect if your car has an equal length mid pipe like mine does. With alignment sorted, tighten the down pipe to mid pipe connections first. The gasket will form a press fit between flanges, and the flanges will not touch. Work back through the rest of the exhaust.

This concludes the install. It's time to go for a test drive to appreciate the improved shifter feel.
Appreciate 3
irunalot1518.00
jfritz271106.00
      03-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

You don’t need to remove the exhaust.
      03-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
You don’t need to remove the exhaust.
What mid pipe do you have? The equal length mid pipe blocks several fasteners with no room to get around it. The last photo shows how close it is. It is significantly less than stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxoc View Post
What mid pipe do you have? The equal length mid pipe blocks several fasteners with no room to get around it. The last photo shows how close it is. It is significantly less than stock.
Good point; i suppose that would matter. I have an AWE midpipe.
      07-15-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanz M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxoc View Post
I'm looking at your photos it looks like the shifter bushing i wouldnt have to remove my EL midpipe. would that be accurate?

Totaled:F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

My problem: When doing a dig and shifting from 1st into 2nd sometimes I could not "catch the gear" and the synchros would buzz (yes, with clutch-in). If I didn't pull the shifter so quickly the gear would engage. This was hopefully either worn trans oil or worn trans mounts. Using new Motul oil didn't fix it…

I installed a pair of Rogue Engineering transmission mounts today. The job was pretty easy. I didn't have to remove my single mid/exhaust and was able to slide the heat shield back about 8 inches. That was enough to get the box side of my combination wrench up for the top mount bolts.

Shifting still feels comfortable and not hard or notchy. When I floor the gas I don't feel as much flex in the trans, but there's no added noise or vibration outside or in the shifter. I tried a few digs to confirm that I could shift 1st into 2nd under load. Next step will be a few dragstrip runs at Maple Grove to make sure the shifting problem is gone.
      07-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Bumping this thread.
Can the rear Turner bushing be replaced without dropping the midpipe? (I have AA single midpipe). Is it as simple as removing the heat shield and getting into that tight space?
I plan on tackling it in the garage tonight.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
Bumping this thread.
Can the rear Turner bushing be replaced without dropping the midpipe? (I have AA single midpipe). Is it as simple as removing the heat shield and getting into that tight space?
I plan on tackling it in the garage tonight.

Thanks!
When I slid the shield back there was just barely enough room to get to the top trans mount bolts. The shifter bushing is way up top so you prolly need that shield all the way out. I wouldn't try to bend the shield and get it out with the midpipe in the way…later on reinstalling the edges won't line up and the heat shields will rattle.

You know FCP Euro covers the gaskets.
      07-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #9
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
When I slid the shield back there was just barely enough room to get to the top trans mount bolts. The shifter bushing is way up top so you prolly need that shield all the way out. I wouldn't try to bend the shield and get it out with the midpipe in the way…later on reinstalling the edges won't line up and the heat shields will rattle.

You know FCP Euro covers the gaskets.
Thanks!
Actually just did it. A quick 30 min job (I do have a single AA midpipe)?

1. Remove exhaust bracket
2. Remove heat shield and slide towards the back past the exhaust bracket
3. Replace the bushing. Will need a swivel.

Shift feel is so amazing!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #10
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Just did this install while doing my EL mid pipe exhaust install.

Shifter definitely fees better; there is more of a positive feel when popping into gear. It feels almost like there's more stiction between the silicone insert and the shifter shaft and you need to overcome that to get it into gear. I don't get any more vibration through the shifter or hear any noise. I like how the shifter feels, but its not a huge difference, if that makes any sense.

Had a question for you guys that did this with an EL mid pipe coxxoc were you able to reattach the screws on the transmission belly pan right by the mid pipe exhaust mount? I I could not get them to fit as the pipe was blocking access.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:19 PM   #11
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MN6

After seeing this thread and Tommy's video (install + all the people trying it out at the Kies show), I just ordered the bushing. How did I not know this existed?

Looking forward to some improved shifter feel...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:15 AM   #12
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Planning on installing the Turner rear bushing, however are the Rogue transmission mounts a must as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
Planning on installing the Turner rear bushing, however are the Rogue transmission mounts a must as well?
For $50 to get those squishy OEM mounts out while you're down there…just do it.

It is not a requirement.
      07-30-2021, 12:47 AM   #14
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Quote:

It is not a requirement.
You sold me, Rouge mounts inbound.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5449.50
      07-30-2021, 09:37 AM   #15
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
Quote:

It is not a requirement.
You sold me, Rouge mounts inbound.
When I pulled out the OEMs and looked at the design, and then squeezed it by hand I was like "ya friggin kidding me?". This part was obviously designed by a young BMW engineer eager to go home for Friday drinking. Wait till you feel them in hand. The Rogues feel right.
      08-02-2021, 07:20 PM   #16
RRedline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRedline View Post
After seeing this thread and Tommy's video (install + all the people trying it out at the Kies show), I just ordered the bushing. How did I not know this existed?

Looking forward to some improved shifter feel...
My car was going in for service so had the shop install the shifter bushing while the car was on the lift. If you are running stock exhaust, you need to drop it -- no space like in Tommy's video to get around it.

Very happy with the result. Shifter feel is much more firm/notchy with a satisfying click as you enter each gear. No observable difference in NVH except for the click which is noticeable, especially after 3 years of driving without it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 07:06 PM   #17
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Bumping an old thread . After reading this thread I remembered how the trans bushings helped my auto 335i . So I purchased a set of Rogue trans mounts for my 2016 F80 M3 DCT (42K) tuned 530hp/593 tq to the wheels. removal replacement very easy approx an hour or so. After installing the Rogue mounts getting the car back together I inspected the factory mounts left one felt pretty spongy when compared to the Rogue when I pinched it between my fingers. The right I pinched between my fingers and it snapped completely in half (Just using my fingers) the only thing keeping it from falling two separate pieces on the floor was the nylon strap. So I was literally driving with one and a half trans mount support . Just for info you guys might want to check the trans mounts even on the DCT. So far first drive definitely quieter and only drove 10 miles but didn't get that hard downshift in second gear like someone rear ended you anymore .

Last edited by loweredram; 10-14-2022 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 05:32 AM   #18
MacAir
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

nice work
Appreciate 0