ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #265
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post
"The solution to this is to create equal-length exhaust pipes before they merge, just like in any other exhaust system on other platforms."

What happens if they don't merge and you just simply dump the driver side exhaust out 14" earlier? I was originally planning to install a cutout exhaust valve on one side after the resonator for basically a "half muffler delete" on demand and then came across this thread... would it do anything magical?
If you kept them separated all the way through, it would sound like a 3 cylinder. Personally I can't tell much difference between that and stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #266
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
Spread the knowledge dude! I'm happy to see cool things developing with the exhaust idea
I went traveling to Singapore and Malaysia for the holidays with my family so no tinkering with my lady's BMW took place. Honestly I've lost the plot a little regarding my interest in pursuing exhaust production. Too many other shiny things grab my attention So ntg, I trust that Top Gear will make a nice product.
If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have ever thought of starting my exhaust project in the first place. And then the Top Gear exhaust run would never have happened. I just got lucky with the right company at the right time. Regardless it's a fantastic contribution to the S55 community.

Top Gear's requirements on the sound and execution are stricter than mine, so I have full confidence they're going to make a product people will want to buy.
Appreciate 6
X.X.I.V76.50
whitedc5163.50
bank14.50
JTO245271.50
      01-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #267
raywai2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have ever thought of starting my exhaust project in the first place. And then the Top Gear exhaust run would never have happened. I just got lucky with the right company at the right time. Regardless it's a fantastic contribution to the S55 community.

Top Gear's requirements on the sound and execution are stricter than mine, so I have full confidence they're going to make a product people will want to buy.
Would Top Gear develop one for the M2 Competition? It’s just as needed. Lol
Appreciate 2
ntg442888.50
prompt292.00
      01-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #268
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raywai2 View Post
Would Top Gear develop one for the M2 Competition? It’s just as needed. Lol
Baby steps! Looks like Milltek is leading the front for M2C.

No promises, but I'll bring it up to top gear once I get my car back sometime next week about M2C.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:09 AM   #269
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
now if we can just get someone to make it for the guys who don't want to change out their exhaust completely, the same crowd who were happy with just replacing the mid-pipes and left everything else alone.

anyone?

...that would save a bit of people going into an exhaust shop and needing to explain, and re-explain themselves multiple times before someone reluctantly says "okay we can try it, but it's not going to change the sound."
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #270
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
now if we can just get someone to make it for the guys who don't want to change out their exhaust completely, the same crowd who were happy with just replacing the mid-pipes and left everything else alone.

anyone?

...that would save a bit of people going into an exhaust shop and needing to explain, and re-explain themselves multiple times before someone reluctantly says "okay we can try it, but it's not going to change the sound."
When I began discussions with Top Gear about turning this into something more, they went through this entire thread and listened to all the different approaches people took, including mine, yours, and all of RMDZ's. In the end, their opinion was that the only approach with a significant enough change in tone to make a successful product out of was mine. And although I'm biased since mine was chosen, I'm inclined to agree with them.

As consumers, obviously the most cost effective solution makes the most sense. But as a manufacturer, you tend to look at these things differently from the sense that you want a product that will have the largest impact and highest chance of success. You also want it to be profitable and worth your time. In Top Gear's case, they're a custom shop, which for the first time, decided to make a mass produced product. From what I know, a mid section just wasn't something they were interested in mass producing, and I'd expect other startup type projects to be the same, unless a limited run Kickstarter campaign was made for it or something.

Most if not all mid pipes on the market are just portions of each respective manufacturer's full cat back systems, tailored to fit any muffler that connects at the same spot as stock. I'm not aware of any manufacturer that only makes a standalone midpipe section, aside from the small 2nd cat bypasses. I have a feeling it's for the same reasons that Top Gear wasn't interested, that it just wouldn't be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #271
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Just listened to the clips again on headphones and my home theater. My preference is definitely ntg's. Don't get me wrong, Spool's and even RMDZ's definitely sounded way better than stock.

I do completely understand TopGear's approach. In addition to the things ntg mentioned, ease of use is another factor. I think the bolt-on nature of the system will have mass appeal. No chopping or altering of the stock exhaust, and the ability to return to OEM quickly and easily are both important factors.

Personally, I'd welcome a midpipe only solution, if it sounded great. I'd prefer to keep as much of my OEM as possible, and don't mind hacking it up a bit.

Quote:
When I began discussions with Top Gear about turning this into something more, they went through this entire thread and listened to all the different approaches people took, including mine, yours, and all of RMDZ's. In the end, their opinion was that the only approach with a significant enough change in tone to make a successful product out of was mine. And although I'm biased since mine was chosen, I'm inclined to agree with them.

As consumers, obviously the most cost effective solution makes the most sense. But as a manufacturer, you tend to look at these things differently from the sense that you want a product that will have the largest impact and highest chance of success. You also want it to be profitable and worth your time. In Top Gear's case, they're a custom shop, which for the first time, decided to make a mass produced product. From what I know, a mid section just wasn't something they were interested in mass producing, and I'd expect other startup type projects to be the same, unless a limited run Kickstarter campaign was made for it or something.

Most if not all mid pipes on the market are just portions of each respective manufacturer's full cat back systems, tailored to fit any muffler that connects at the same spot as stock. I'm not aware of any manufacturer that only makes a standalone midpipe section, aside from the small 2nd cat bypasses. I have a feeling it's for the same reasons that Top Gear wasn't interested, that it just wouldn't be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #272
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Definitely no sound comparison that the non-OE muffler setups sound better, but there is a spot in the market for those who are happy with their AA midpipe-only, so that market would still need to be captured, otherwise they wouldn't have been such a popular choice prior to this. Hopefully AA can come up with a solution if their own and offer it alongside their single midpipe as well. I do have an interesting drawing I could send to anyone that would revamp the mid section to make the solution a true bolt-on vs what my current set-up is, if only I could fabricate it on my own.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #273
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Please share
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #274
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
I'm excited to hear how the Milltek will sound like with an EQ set-up. Do they already come with a crossover section?
Milltek has a merged resonator in the same place as the stock center resonator, so they would need the change that to keep gas separate.

They don't do an "axle back" option, only sec CAT / OPF back which starts from behind OPF / sec cats and replaces cente resonator / merge with their own .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
For an M2C, would the additional 14" of pipe still apply (as opposed to a different or shorter measurement)? The M2C has a shorter wheelbase, but it seems like the discrepancy of equal length is upstream at the level of the downpipes, and thus the additional piping needed would be the same for the M2C as for the M3/4. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
When my M2C is at the custom shop on 3rd Feb we'll make accurate measurments all the way back from DP lower flange to the proposed merge point then add that to the DP difference to account for DPs and general length difference all the way back.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:37 AM   #275
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

Quote:
Definitely no sound comparison that the non-OE muffler setups sound better, but there is a spot in the market for those who are happy with their AA midpipe-only, so that market would still need to be captured, otherwise they wouldn't have been such a popular choice prior to this. Hopefully AA can come up with a solution if their own and offer it alongside their single midpipe as well. I do have an interesting drawing I could send to anyone that would revamp the mid section to make the solution a true bolt-on vs what my current set-up is, if only I could fabricate it on my own.
Completely agree, it's great that a full exhaust solution is being produced but a mid pipe solution is likely to be the most popular, it would certainly be my preference for now. I for one will continue to look for my oem setup to be customised or wait for the Miltek solution
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #276
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

I contacted 4-5 shops and even Autocouture to see if this can be done. Hopefully I get some hope.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 01:34 AM   #277
4N Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Hey guys! Posting on here Incase you haven't heard the new single turbo kit for the s55! It's a beautiful sound. This is how the s55 should have sounded from the factory!!! Stock muffler with valves open. 3.5 Single turbo back high flow mid pipe made from 304ss. Mid pipe will be available with our single turbo kit as a matching option.

https://4nmotorsport.com

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
M-Pilot4859.00
      01-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #278
ShoNufff
Who's da masta?
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4N Motorsport View Post
Hey guys! Posting on here Incase you haven't heard the new single turbo kit for the s55! It's a beautiful sound. This is how the s55 should have sounded from the factory!!! Stock muffler with valves open. 3.5 Single turbo back high flow mid pipe made from 304ss. Mid pipe will be available with our single turbo kit as a matching option.

Sounds beautiful! Is this still running on stock fuel pump?
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #279
4N Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoNufff View Post
Quote:

Sounds beautiful! Is this still running on stock fuel pump?
Yes stock lpfp with E85 PI. We hit the flow limit of the lpfp at 752whp.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #280
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

Quote:

sounds spot on... RHD version please
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 02:45 AM   #281
erik_m3g80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 Competition

Is there already a update of the status from Top Gear?
I mean how the work is going etc.
      01-21-2020, 02:55 AM   #282
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Hey guys, just want to let you know I'm interested in selling my custom equalizer midpipe that goes from behind the secondaries to where it meets with muffler.

Reason being is I went with single turb kit and going to be doing a single midpipe. Let me know, the car is in Fullerton. Mainly looking for a VRSF or AA single midpipe will add cash on top if you have either to trade and local. Should be off the car by 3rd or 4th week of February. Could be sooner if you are committed now. Let me know
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 05:33 AM   #283
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Hey guys, just want to let you know I'm interested in selling my custom equalizer midpipe that goes from behind the secondaries to where it meets with muffler.

Reason being is I went with single turb kit and going to be doing a single midpipe. Let me know, the car is in Fullerton. Mainly looking for a VRSF or AA single midpipe will add cash on top if you have either to trade and local. Should be off the car by 3rd or 4th week of February. Could be sooner if you are committed now. Let me know
Now it all makes sense, I wanted to ask why you were unloading everything on FB. Good luck! Your set-up with catless downpipes sounded great!
Appreciate 1
aBMWfan1193.50
      01-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #284
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik-f80 View Post
Just had a phone call with them yesterday. The project is moving along. They're designing all the parts right now and an assembled system may be on my car by the end of the week. We're almost there!
Appreciate 4
ra2289303.50
GT_Juls251.50
jhigg8583.00
TimmyM56241.50
      01-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #285
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik-f80 View Post
Just had a phone call with them yesterday. The project is moving along. They're designing all the parts right now and an assembled system may be on my car by the end of the week. We're almost there!

:
      01-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #286
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0