Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Flying Low
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2003 M3, 2015 M4

Weird pad wear

Good news is I bought Stop Tech BBK (not installed yet). The picture below shows PFC 11 pads at right front caliper after 2 day track event at Thunderhill raceway which is CCW. The thin pad was the outside pad. Both pads started this event with a little more thickness than the thick pad in the picture. I've come to learn that the outside pads run a lot hotter than the inside pads. This also was obvious from how much quicker the dust seals deteriorated on the outside of the caliper as compared to the inside dust seals. The left side front pads wore evenly. Perhaps my tendency to trail brake caused the thin pad to get just over the operating temperature of the pad. Car tracked straight as could be and braking felt normal the entire time so I don't think the pad was dragging. Ideas?

I did not run my front brake cooling ducts at this event. I was just getting ready to put my race pads on when the police came by the first time to force manatory evacuation from the Santa Rosa wild fires. Fortunately I already had most of my track gear in the car but now I really had to hustle. Forget the pads, I can do that at the track. But the ducts never made it into the car. My wife was gone to NY and her X5 was on the driveway so I had more room in the garage to work. I got the X5 into the garage just as the police came by for the second time. 3 cops came toward me with really stern faces. I thought I had flunked evacuation because I hadn't left yet. One officer says "SIT ON THAT ROCK!! and don't move!! Where is the X5 that was on the driveway several minutes ago." I said I just moved it into the garage. They go look at it. I have no clue what is going on. Finally one cop says an X5 was involved in a hit and run with a motorcycle cop. Now 2 motorcycle cops come up and look at my wife's X5 and for a long time. One of those guys is the cop that was hit. Finally the hit cop says the X5 that hit him was an older one. Now I'm really late evacuating but I'm free to get off my rock. I spent the next week at Willows near Thunderhill before I could return home. Fortunately I still had a home. A lot of my friends got completely wiped out. Here's what happens when a wind blown wild fire goes thru the neighborhood and this house was on the perimeter of the fire.
Attached Images