ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

08-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

Coding Troubleshooting Help

Hi everyone,
I’m new to coding but successfully coded all the functions I wanted on my 2015 F83. I recently tried to add the NGHB since I have adaptive led headlights and when I did, I introduced some errors that I’m having trouble pin pointing. Namely, when I go to any CFAD files and try to read coding data, I get a runtime error. I DO have a backup from June that I could potentially load to an earlier state but not sure how to go about that or if it is the best option. Also, I noticed many of the functions I had previously coded are no longer working. FYI, Im using esys 3.2.8.

Here’s what I did:
-Read FA, saved file to my desktop, edited salads element and deleted 5AP and 8S4, applied, right clicked FA and calculated FP.
-Selected the file, right clicked FA and calculated FP, wrote FA and FP successfully.
-Read ECU under coding and right clicked the applicable modules in the tutorial and clicked code.

When I tried to code the applicable ECUs, I got the runtime errors.

How should proceed? I want to make sure I don’t cause any damage. I know NOT to code default values.

Also strange, when reading FA, I see no titles associated with any of the folders (see pic). Same thing for the FEM_BODY module. Most of the rest of the modules do show titles for each folder when reading coding data. This is even after coding back to factory values by right clicking the ecu and clicking code.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Last edited by kosd; 08-10-2018 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Added details...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Use E-sys 3.27.1 and you should not have runtime errors.

Lack of descriptors mean you selected incorrect Launcher chassis.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
kosd
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks much - I had somehow changed the chassis and didn't check it on startup. Swapping to the right chassis fixed the missing descriptors.

When I attempt to edit fdl, I'm no longer getting the runtime errors but now get a different type of error around processing the est file; reading the details it says "plain validity data and token validity data differ - est data manipulated (see pic). I get the same message for every ecu.

I'm going to install the earlier version of esys 3.27.1 in hopes it fixes this but thought I would ask first if this error might be due to a different issue.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosd View Post
Thanks much - I had somehow changed the chassis and didn't check it on startup. Swapping to the right chassis fixed the missing descriptors.

When I attempt to edit fdl, I'm no longer getting the runtime errors but now get a different type of error around processing the est file; reading the details it says "plain validity data and token validity data differ - est data manipulated (see pic). I get the same message for every ecu.

I'm going to install the earlier version of esys 3.27.1 in hopes it fixes this but thought I would ask first if this error might be due to a different issue.

Thanks.
I am surprised you are using 2.6.2. Latest Launcher is 2.8.2. 3.27 will not fix manipulation error.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
kosd
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. I’ll try looking for the newer version of the launcher and update to see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I’ll try looking for the newer version of the launcher and update to see if that fixes it.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=983244
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
kosd
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. I was able to update the launcher which fixed my issues and started using the cheat codes for the first time.

Quick question - I coded the GFHB using the cheat codes for the 3 appropriate ECUs. Do I still need to go back and do the VO coding (remove 5AP and 8S4 from the VO)? When I was doing it I was thinking that I only needed to use the cheat codes.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I was able to update the launcher which fixed my issues and started using the cheat codes for the first time.

Quick question - I coded the GFHB using the cheat codes for the 3 appropriate ECUs. Do I still need to go back and do the VO coding (remove 5AP and 8S4 from the VO)? When I was doing it I was thinking that I only needed to use the cheat codes.

Thanks again.
It depends on whose Cheat Codes you were using. For mine, VO coding is needed first.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #9
kosd
Private First Class
Rep

I was using yours. I’ll go back, VOmcode and and re-do. Thanks much.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was using yours. I’ll go back, VOmcode and and re-do. Thanks much.
Appreciate 0