BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #1
Imran@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: All of them

Video: MSS Height Adjustable Spring System for F8X

We have been working with MSS on their Height Adjustable Spring system over the last year or so. The F8X platform is now ready for release.

Key features:

* Fits into stock spring location so no modifications required to fit.
* Springs made by Eibach.
* Rear spring assembly has 3 different spring rates allowing superior ride comfort and handling.
* Works with stock EDC or Passive Dampers.
* Adjusters featuring patented design CNC machined in the UK.
* 0-30mm lowering - allows you to run at stock ride height if you just want to improve handling.

Appreciate 1
AND1_M369.00
      02-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #2
Sunny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Funny, I was just watching this video yesterday. Kit looks really nice. I have to ask though, are there any key benefits and/or differences to the BMW kit? Ride comfort is super important to me, our roads here in ATL suck.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #3
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
Funny, I was just watching this video yesterday. Kit looks really nice. I have to ask though, are there any key benefits and/or differences to the BMW kit? Ride comfort is super important to me, our roads here in ATL suck.
The MSS kit is not a sleeve kit so it fits into the stock spring location. Easy to install and un install and no modifications required to stock dampers.

The rear spring assembly is made up of 3 different springs rates. One spring is made up of 2 separate spring rates and the other spring (it is not a helper spring) is made up of another spring rate. This is what allows the MSS to deal with rough road surfaces better than traditional spring or height adjustable kits.

The roads suck in the UK to so we feel your pain

I'm just working with Bilstein now to develop a set of custom B6 EDC dampers to provide an option for those that want to improve this set up even further. As a "spring" only solution it is the best we have tested.
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      02-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Are MSS able to provide more info about the springs, i.e. spring rate and exactly how the rear setup works? I am trying to understand how the "triple-rate" rear coil springs works, as a non-engineer. Further, do I then understand correctly that the springs are manufactured by Eibach as per MSS' requirements?

I do not have EDC so I am wonder how differently these springs would behave with passive dampers - either stock or B6 (and I have not found anyone on the Internet who got them on their car).
      02-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Are MSS able to provide more info about the springs, i.e. spring rate and exactly how the rear setup works? I am trying to understand how the "triple-rate" rear coil springs works, as a non-engineer. Further, do I then understand correctly that the springs are manufactured by Eibach as per MSS' requirements?

I do not have EDC so I am wonder how differently these springs would behave with passive dampers - either stock or B6 (and I have not found anyone on the Internet who got them on their car).
I have them on our M2 which has stock passive dampers. Works just as effectively. We are also in the process of having some custom Bilstein B6 dampers made to further enhance the MSS kit.

You can see there explanation here:

https://mss.company/technology/

The springs are made by Eibach (Germany) to MSS specifications.

You can see a short video from the inventor here:

https://mss.company/our-story/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Are MSS able to provide more info about the springs, i.e. spring rate and exactly how the rear setup works? I am trying to understand how the "triple-rate" rear coil springs works, as a non-engineer.
They don't provide any technical information on their products. I asked last year when I was considering them, with a similar intent of trying to understand how it worked and wanting to be able to calculate how it'd affect the ride. The refusal to provide info turned me off. The impression I got was "give us your money and just trust us." After experiencing first hand how the auto aftermarket doesn't really do due diligence in their engineering, I don't trust anybody anymore that can't provide basic technical information to do calculations.

Eibach on the other hand gives you drawings, spring rates, the whole nine yards.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 02-04-2020 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      02-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #7
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Really dig the functionality of the design as compared to the BMW and KW has. Rears on my MPHAS are a pita to adjust!
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
They don't provide any technical information on their products. I asked last year when I was considering them, with a similar intent of trying to understand how it worked and wanting to be able to calculate how it'd affect the ride. The refusal to provide info turned me off. The impression I got was "give us your money and just trust us." After experiencing first hand how the auto aftermarket doesn't really do due diligence in their engineering, I don't trust anybody anymore that can't provide basic technical information to do calculations.

Eibach on the other hand gives you drawings, spring rates, the whole nine yards.
Oh, okay, thank you for the reference. I have noticed there is not much information on their website - does not give me enough confidence, tbh.

Parts sold in Germany have to have TUV approval, which is why Eibach and others provide technical documents with all the important specs, i.e. parts approval documents. Not the case with MSS springs, so I am guessing they would not be even legal in Germany (not implying they are a bad product or anything).
      02-05-2020, 03:47 AM   #9
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
The MSS kit is not a sleeve kit so it fits into the stock spring location. Easy to install and un install and no modifications required to stock dampers.

The rear spring assembly is made up of 3 different springs rates. One spring is made up of 2 separate spring rates and the other spring (it is not a helper spring) is made up of another spring rate. This is what allows the MSS to deal with rough road surfaces better than traditional spring or height adjustable kits.

The roads suck in the UK to so we feel your pain

I'm just working with Bilstein now to develop a set of custom B6 EDC dampers to provide an option for those that want to improve this set up even further. As a "spring" only solution it is the best we have tested.
I would be interested to hear how this MSS/B6 combo works out. I am looking to purchase the B6 set when it gets released here.

Last edited by TR930; 02-05-2020 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 06:41 AM   #10
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
I would be interested to year how this MSS/B6 combo works out. I am looking to purchase the B6 set when it gets released here.
The B6 development set is already on our car and is an amazing set up for the road. Need to try it out on the track before we sign it off.

We will be selling the dampers world wide when they are ready.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:45 AM   #11
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh, okay, thank you for the reference. I have noticed there is not much information on their website - does not give me enough confidence, tbh.

Parts sold in Germany have to have TUV approval, which is why Eibach and others provide technical documents with all the important specs, i.e. parts approval documents. Not the case with MSS springs, so I am guessing they would not be even legal in Germany (not implying they are a bad product or anything).
MSS are just having the products go through TUV approval now as they see Germany being a big market for them.

Apart from the spring rates which they are not willing to share what exactly were you after. I can request this from them.
Appreciate 1
swagon13511.00
      02-05-2020, 06:46 AM   #12
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
Really dig the functionality of the design as compared to the BMW and KW has. Rears on my MPHAS are a pita to adjust!
These are a completely different product to those two.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:

MSS are just having the products go through TUV approval now as they see Germany being a big market for them.

Apart from the spring rates which they are not willing to share what exactly were you after. I can request this from them.
We need specifics. If they're not willing to disclose that then they're not getting my business.

I mean...they're offering a "sports" spring and a "track" spring and don't even say what the difference is on the website.

Like the other forum member said above me, way too many auto parts developers in the game already and it's very telling when they don't do due diligence in R&D. We can't just go off of "buy it and trust us. It's good"

we need specs

I can't even make an informed decision to see if this kit will ride more compliant than the stock suspension or if it's harsher
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The B6 development set is already on our car and is an amazing set up for the road. Need to try it out on the track before we sign it off.

We will be selling the dampers world wide when they are ready.
I'm in for that kit when it is ready.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #15
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Any changes to the B6 kit or is it simply putting them together?
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #16
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Quote:
These are a completely different product to those two.
An explanation why they are completely different would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:14 AM   #17
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
An explanation why they are completely different would be nice.
* Fits into stock spring location so no modifications required to fit.
* Rear spring assembly has 3 different spring rates allowing superior ride comfort and handling.
* 0-30mm lowering - allows you to run at stock ride height if you just want to improve handling.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:15 AM   #18
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
Any changes to the B6 kit or is it simply putting them together?
Changes to Comfort Mode (softer) and Sport Plus (Stiffer) and adjustment to the bump stops as the B6 is really designed to be used with OEM springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #19
TexasF80
Legend
Rep
Drives: M3, RR, S2k, X1, JK

I am ready to order a MP HAS kit. I really like the front design of this kit and am not worried about being a "test monkey." Been there done that, so if there is a kit I can order, and its in the same price range I'll give it a go and provide feedback.
      02-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #20
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasF80 View Post
I am ready to order a MP HAS kit. I really like the front design of this kit and am not worried about being a "test monkey." Been there done that, so if there is a kit I can order, and its in the same price range I'll give it a go and provide feedback.
It is less expensive than the MP HAS by some margin. We were the real test monkeys having the kit on the cars for 6 months before MSS released to the public.

Please PM or email me imran@evolveautmotive.com and I can get something worked out for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #21
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

How easy is it to adjust height after installed?
Any special tools? Time?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #22
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
How easy is it to adjust height after installed?
Any special tools? Time?
The adjuster is at the bottom of the assembly now so you have to take the wheel off and adjust with the supplied C Spanner.
Appreciate 1