Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #947
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Agreed. I have had this fully coded since last summer and I have not been flashed once since the last "revision".

I will be getting the new firmware 58.3 this week.....very interested how this will affect nghb/adaptive once re-coded. Word on the street is that it improves it.....we shall see.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #948
nineofspades
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SSII F80 M3

What's the word on the current way to code these? I followed the "guide" that had me remove 5AP & 8S4... then I 'coded' FEM_BODY & KAFAS2...

I went out and hit the auto button, but it seems to just turn on/off high-beams in their entirety. No cool movements. What did I do wrong? ( I do have LED's )
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #949
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineofspades View Post
What's the word on the current way to code these? I followed the "guide" that had me remove 5AP & 8S4... then I 'coded' FEM_BODY & KAFAS2...

I went out and hit the auto button, but it seems to just turn on/off high-beams in their entirety. No cool movements. What did I do wrong? ( I do have LED's )
Based on the ECUs you mention, you might have followed the wrong "guide": did you follow the one in post #429?
      05-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #950
nineofspades
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SSII F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02
Quote:

Based on the ECUs you mention, you might have followed the wrong "guide": did you follow the one in post #429?
Certainly did not.

I will follow this, thank you. Any possibility of problems from what I followed? Or is it likely that just nothing changed?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #951
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
I will be getting the new firmware 58.3 this week.....very interested how this will affect nghb/adaptive once re-coded. Word on the street is that it improves it.....we shall see.
Looking forward to your confirmation of thisisdave's report.
      05-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #952
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Certainly did not.

I will follow this, thank you. Any possibility of problems from what I followed? Or is it likely that just nothing changed?
No problems: Step 1 in the guide will reset all coding you might have done in FEM_BODY, KAFAS, LHM and TMS (which are the only relevant ECUs).
      05-23-2016, 03:25 AM   #953
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Infiniti Q50 / 16' Audi A4

Just so I understand correctly.

I do have LED headlights but I did not get the adaptive headlight option (I think it was $800).

What I'm understanding from this thread is I can code the car to obtain this option????
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #954
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHearns View Post
Just so I understand correctly.

I do have LED headlights but I did not get the adaptive headlight option (I think it was $800).

What I'm understanding from this thread is I can code the car to obtain this option????
dmnc02

May have to comment/confirm this. But I am assuming you have an F30 LCI and I think without the adaptive headlight option your missing extra LEDs/sensors.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:49 AM   #955
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Infiniti Q50 / 16' Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
dmnc02

May have to comment/confirm this. But I am assuming you have an F30 LCI and I think without the adaptive headlight option your missing extra LEDs/sensors.
Ahhh yes. Using my phone, didn't realize I navigated to the wrong section.

AWww, I got so happy for a second.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #956
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHearns View Post
Ahhh yes. Using my phone, didn't realize I navigated to the wrong section.

AWww, I got so happy for a second.
No issues, it happens
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #957
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Hey guys, may I hijack the thread a bit as all the lights experts are normally reading this thread?

I wanted to play a bit around, does anyone know if it is possible to enable the cornering lights as welcome lights?

6 in this pic:

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #958
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganxxta View Post
Hey guys, may I hijack the thread a bit as all the lights experts are normally reading this thread?

I wanted to play a bit around, does anyone know if it is possible to enable the cornering lights as welcome lights?
Hmmm.

Short answer. I do not think is possible on the F32 with LEDs.

Long answer. This would be easy on the F30/31 LCI with the FLE ECUs, but the problem on the F32 with LEDs (LHM+TMS ECUs) is that the welcome lights and the cornering lights are controlled by different ECUs (TMS for the former and LHM for the latter). The obvious function in FEM_BODY (MAPPING_ABBIEGEL_L/R_PART_OF_WL) maps to the fog lights and thus is limited in use to the xenons. The M_WL1-M_WL4 functions in LHM do not appear to be used.
      05-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #959
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Hmmm.

Short answer. I do not think is possible on the F32 with LEDs.

Long answer. This would be easy on the F30/31 LCI with the FLE ECUs, but the problem on the F32 with LEDs (LHM+TMS ECUs) is that the welcome lights and the cornering lights are controlled by different ECUs (TMS for the former and LHM for the latter). The obvious function in FEM_BODY (MAPPING_ABBIEGEL_L/R_PART_OF_WL) maps to the fog lights and thus is limited in use to the xenons. The M_WL1-M_WL4 functions in LHM do not appear to be used.
I'm constantly amazed at the level of information available in this forum. Thank goodness for all of you BMW geeks. You all rock!
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #960
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Fully agree, thanks dmnc02 I knew I would find the information here
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #961
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Hello dmnc02,

I have followed your detailed guide and thank you very much for all the efforts you have put in.

I have a F82 built at the beginning of April 2016 (No LCI) and used your guide to code GFHB. I have adaptive LED (552), High Beam Assistant (5AC) and they've added the decoding 5AP and 8S4.

So I removed 5AP and 8S4 from my FA, saved, coded the ECUs (FEM_BODY, KAFAS2, TMS x2, LHM x2) using the cheat sheet included in E- Sys Launcher (3 parts)

Now all seems to have worked properly and although I couldn't test the GFHB yet, the Variable Light Distribution seems to work OK.

Now in Rheingold I have a persistant Fault that won't go away that says:
"Encoding: Lamp mapping Failed, error message # 8041C3"

The description of this fault says: "At least one bulb map has been encoded incorrectly and is therefore inactive. Invalid Parameter Set."

So I am not sure if you have seen this before or not. I thought I might ask.

Note that I also coded other things with E-Sys at the same time so it might that also but since it is headlamp related...

In any case, I might just revert everything back tonight, clear faults and start over just with your guide and no other coding.

Sorry for the pretty long post and thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #962
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post
Hello dmnc02,

I have followed your detailed guide and thank you very much for all the efforts you have put in.

I have a F82 built at the beginning of April 2016 (No LCI) and used your guide to code GFHB. I have adaptive LED (552), High Beam Assistant (5AC) and they've added the decoding 5AP and 8S4.

So I removed 5AP and 8S4 from my FA, saved, coded the ECUs (FEM_BODY, KAFAS2, TMS x2, LHM x2) using the cheat sheet included in E- Sys Launcher (3 parts)

Now all seems to have worked properly and although I couldn't test the GFHB yet, the Variable Light Distribution seems to work OK.

Now in Rheingold I have a persistant Fault that won't go away that says:
"Encoding: Lamp mapping Failed, error message # 8041C3"

The description of this fault says: "At least one bulb map has been encoded incorrectly and is therefore inactive. Invalid Parameter Set."

So I am not sure if you have seen this before or not. I thought I might ask.

Note that I also coded other things with E-Sys at the same time so it might that also but since it is headlamp related...

In any case, I might just revert everything back tonight, clear faults and start over just with your guide and no other coding.

Sorry for the pretty long post and thanks in advance!
It is unlikely that the fault is caused by the NGHB coding. Although my car is about a year older than yours, the part number for the LED headlights is unchanged, I periodically check for faults using Rheingold and I have never seen that fault.

Did you try to "Calculate test plan" to see if Rheingold is able to suggest a test procedure? If not, you might want to try this before resetting the codings you did and adding them back one at a time in order to isolate which one is causing the issue.

Please update the thread with what you find.
      05-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #963
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the tip about the Test Plan dmnc02,

I will update the thread once I retry, probably tomorrow evening or Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #964
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Fascinating.

I picked up my car from being updated to 58.3 today and while I lost some coding (folding mirrors/idrive disclaimer) my Euro NGHB coding seems to be intact.

I will, of course, check all values tomorrow.....but from driving home tonight the features were still active.

Very curious. I was certain I'd lose that coding.

Thoughts dmnc02 ?

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #965
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
Fascinating.

I picked up my car from being updated to 58.3 today and while I lost some coding (folding mirrors/idrive disclaimer) my Euro NGHB coding seems to be intact.

I will, of course, check all values tomorrow.....but from driving home tonight the features were still active.

Very curious. I was certain I'd lose that coding.

Thoughts dmnc02 ?
If you saved your modified FA (without the crippling codes 5AP and 8S4) to the car, some (but not all) of the changes will still be there. I also picked my car today from being updated to 58.3 and all the Euro NGHB coding was reset (I keep the original FA saved to the car).

BTW, as I recoded Euro NGHB on my car, I noticed that the mapping of the literal value for M3 in LHM [44] has been corrected in the latest version of E-Sys Launcher: it now appears correctly as "init_ECE_F030", rather than as "Unknown (UNKNOWN)". The Werte value (which is all that matters) is of course the same as before. I will note the change in the literal value in the next revision of the PDF, but I thought that it might be worthwhile mentioning it.
      05-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #966
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
So writing modified FA to the car seem to somehow not VO code or reset the affected modules post flash/update?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:07 PM   #967
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
So writing modified FA to the car seem to somehow not VO code or reset the affected modules post flash/update?
I am saying the opposite: if the modified FA (without the crippling codes) is written to the car, then the ECUs are VO-coded accordingly after flashing, just as it would be expected.
      05-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #968
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hello dmnc02,

Okay, report.

Today I went back to completely stock and then made my way to only enable VLD and NGHB as per your instructions.

I made sure that after I was back to stock that Rheingold was all clear of faults.
Proceeded with changing my FA to get rid of 5AP and 8S4 then VO coded FEM_BODY, KAFAS, both LHMs and both TMSs.
Then I checked Rheingold again and I had 2 minor and insignificant faults in FEM I think... I cleared them, recycled the ignition and checked again and they didn't reappear. All good.

Question: after I activated the new FA and calculated FP I didn't write to the car. Is that OK? There seems to be some opposite opinions and discrepancies in various docs and threads on this as some instructs to write FA FP and some don't.

Then went for a ride up north of where I live in the small country roads. After some hesitation, in fear of blinding people, I pressed the auto-HB button and BAM!

Just wow! This was so awesome to see the light show and the tunnels being created behind cars. Also impressive to see the system track the incoming cars and gradually changing the spread of light accordingly. I was so impressed that I started laughing really loud as I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
I had to force myself to focus on the road and not on the beam moving all over the place. I guess I'll get used to it.

Not once was I flashed by oncoming cars using NGHB in 1.5 hours.
I got flashed once using my normal low beams and I am not sure why... I think some people find the LEDs too bright no matter what.

It seems to startle the cars I followed when I used NGHB though. Twice I had cars eventually pull on the side to let me pass although I could clearly see the the beams create a dark tunnel around their cars. Maybe it's annoying for them to see the lighting pattern constantly changing after a while and might be a distraction. Understandable and I would probably do the same after as while too if it would happen to me.
True that the roads I went to are very twisty and constantly varies in pitch.

I've noticed that the NGBH gets confused by street lights on dark roads. Here in Quebec, every public road intersection or road junction has a street light. Sometimes the system would create a tunnel around an incoming street light. Again, I was driving on pretty twisty roads with a lot of varying pitch.

Oh yeah, some sharp turns had those huge reflective red panels with a big white arrow pointing the turn direction and I have to say that I have never, ever seen any car lighting them so bright. The system is so bright in fact that when I go back to low beams it seems like I see nothing in front of me.

Low beams with VLD is what it is, cool that it moves around but I find I don't see the upcoming panels very well compared to Xenon bulbs. The LEDs on low beam always seem to be just shy of reflecting the panels properly.

Also, I feel that the right side of the low beams is always a little high as it seems to bother other cars driving in the middle lane when I'm driving in the left lane on the highway.

In any case, I have to say I am pretty impressed with this and I know some of my passengers will also be.

The LED option was SO worth it!

I cannot thank you enough and all the contributors to have permitted us to enjoy this system the way it was meant to be.

Last edited by stealth70mde; 05-27-2016 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Corrected typos and added a question.
Appreciate 3
MN2///M521.00