European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
M3Tooner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 DCT ZCP

How to reset airbag malfunction warning?

Guys, how do I reset the airbag malfunction warning in the cluster?

I had to remove the steering wheel airbag to install new shift paddles. All wires have been properly reinstalled, you'd think the next time the car runs a self diagnosis, it will find the airbag again and should reset itself, but that did not happen.

I could probably go to the dealership but trying to avoid giving them any excuse to void any warranty.

Can I purchase one of those cheap ebay OBD code scanner to clear this fault?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
INDVDL///M
Truth seeker
Rep
Drives: German cars

Garage List
2012 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Tooner View Post

I had to remove the steering wheel airbag to install new shift paddles. All wires have been properly reinstalled, you'd think the next time the car runs a self diagnosis, it will find the airbag again and should reset itself, but that did not happen.

I could probably go to the dealership but trying to avoid giving them any excuse to void any warranty.

Thanks.
We use Carly. Never had any issues there.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 12:29 AM   #3
psedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 AB 6MT F80

I would try Transmitter in ESYS.

E-Sys Transmitter:

1) Click "External Applications" in the left menu.
2) Click "External Application"
3) Double-click "Transmitter"
4) Double-click "ACSM verriegelung_schreiben"

If that doesn't fix it I would click the bottom option in Transmitter which resets all faults.

*Note don't connect via ESYS. Go to Transmitter and click connect inside of Transmitter.
      03-06-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

Thanks.
Interesting. I didnt know that you have to reset airbags once its disconnected. I was planning on changing my steering wheels and adding paddles too. Im glad to have come across this thread before i did anything. Subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 12:46 AM   #5
psedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Interesting. I didnt know that you have yo reset airbags once its disconnected. I was plannin on changing my steering wheels and adding paddles too. Im glad to have come across this thread before i did anything. Subscribed!
I'm guessing he didn't disconnect the battery and that's why he has this issue. Remember we have 28! computers in this car and hindering communication between elements will trigger an error. In the case of the airbag it will have to be reset. Hopefully Transmitter will fix the issue for him.
      03-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
M3Tooner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Not sure if disconnecting the battery will prevent this malfunction light. One of my friends did the same thing but he did disconnect the battery, and he still got the malfunction warning.

Does anybody have experience with battery disconnected and have no warning light afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Not sure if disconnecting the battery will prevent this malfunction light. One of my friends did the same thing but he did disconnect the battery, and he still got the malfunction warning.

Does anybody have experience with battery disconnected and have no warning light afterwards?
The ignition was turned on while the wheel was removed, it's the only thing that could have caused this.

Although it's not required, it's always good practice to disconnect the battery before accessing any airbag/seatbelt-related equipment. Especially if you do not have a SRS-clearing code reader.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
M3Tooner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psedog View Post

E-Sys Transmitter:

If that doesn't fix it I would click the bottom option in Transmitter which resets all faults.

*Note don't connect via ESYS. Go to Transmitter and click connect inside of Transmitter.
Im having a friend with ESYS try this Transmitter app on my car tomorrow. Hope it works. I'll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
M3Tooner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The ignition was turned on while the wheel was removed, it's the only thing that could have caused this.

Although it's not required, it's always good practice to disconnect the battery before accessing any airbag/seatbelt-related equipment. Especially if you do not have a SRS-clearing code reader.
Tom @ eas, I bought my Pedal Haus shift paddles from you guys for my F80. I wished you had better instructions on how to install it without triggering this malfunction. Your sales guy told me to watch the video for the E90 install you guys made in 2013. It never said anything about disconnecting the battery nor making sure to not accidentally turn the ignition ON. Although I should've known better.

Now that I've done it once, I figured out a way to do it even without needing to disconnect the airbag wires, there is enough slack in the wires to set the airbag on top of the column. Paddles can then be removed with one screw for each shifter. Hopefully this will help the next person doing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
M3Tooner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psedog View Post

E-Sys Transmitter:

Psedog, it worked! ESYS Transmitter was able to reset the warning light. I'm all set now, thanks a lot for your guidance. We could not get "ACSM verriegelung_schreiben" to work though. Had to use the bottom option to reset all faults.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
psedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Psedog, it worked! ESYS Transmitter was able to reset the warning light. I'm all set now, thanks a lot for your guidance. We could not get "ACSM verriegelung_schreiben" to work though. Had to use the bottom option to reset all faults.
That's great news. Honestly, I'm not surprised the other one didn't work. That's the command we use after flashing the airbag module to "lock it". I figured it couldn't hurt to try.
      04-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #12
Race82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

Hi Tom@eas, oem seats have been removed and already replaced with fixed buckets for track work - I have been told to remove the ASCM module and then code out SRS errors... is this right?

Its now a purpose built track car, will never revert back to stock/road use, so happy to remove/code out indefinitely ..

How and where do i find and remove this module - assuming the advice is correct? Advice greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #13
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by awbmw View Post
Hi Tom@eas, oem seats have been removed and already replaced with fixed buckets for track work - I have been told to remove the ASCM module and then code out SRS errors... is this right?

Its now a purpose built track car, will never revert back to stock/road use, so happy to remove/code out indefinitely ..

How and where do i find and remove this module - assuming the advice is correct? Advice greatly appreciated
No modules need to be removed, only coding.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #14
krotondo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW/Full SO M3 ZCP

I thought it was common sense to disconnect the battery when working with/removing airbags
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:30 AM   #15
m11nch
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotondo View Post
I thought it was common sense to disconnect the battery when working with/removing airbags
Hi I have a crashed f22 I've replaced the air bags but
Ista does not clear the codes
Can it be done in esys
Can I virginize the acsm module ?
Thanks 👍
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #16
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

If you have a tune, reload it - it will erase all codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 08:12 PM   #17
18BSMF82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M4

I'm bringing this thread back alive. I have just reinstalled my new steering wheel and I am still getting the airbag malfunction warning. While my new wheel was getting wrapped I did drive the car with the bare bones steering wheel with no airbag for about a week.

Could this have caused any problems? Will I need to recode as above? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 04:52 AM   #18
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BSMF82 View Post
I'm bringing this thread back alive. I have just reinstalled my new steering wheel and I am still getting the airbag malfunction warning. While my new wheel was getting wrapped I did drive the car with the bare bones steering wheel with no airbag for about a week.

Could this have caused any problems? Will I need to recode as above? Thanks.
Probably you just need to clear a faults.
Appreciate 0