proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

01-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #1
JMD2018F80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 Q50 AWD ( DD ) 2018 M3

Thoughts on all season tires?

Hey all. What does everyone think about putting high performance all season tires on the M3 instead of summer tires? I want to be able to drive the car when it gets cold. I don't track the car just highway and backroads mostly.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 06:20 PM   #2
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I drove my M3 one year or so with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires.
I could not get up my driveway when there was little snow. On autocross I managed to beat only a Crown Vic.
I currently have Goodyear Sport Car 3 for the summer and I have still some life left in the all-seasons for getting around in the winter when there isn't much snow. The front summer tires lasted a season - 3 track days, 2 autocross events and commuting when not working from home. It's shoulder wear from the track days mostly. Will buy a new pair for 2022. The rear ones have another season in them.
Before that I had an Audi quattro with those A/S tires and that was a tank in the snow and did decently on the track. Not nearly as much fun as the F80 with summer tires on the track though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 07:23 PM   #3
JMD2018F80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post
I drove my M3 one year or so with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires.
I could not get up my driveway when there was little snow. On autocross I managed to beat only a Crown Vic.
I currently have Goodyear Sport Car 3 for the summer and I have still some life left in the all-seasons for getting around in the winter when there isn't much snow. The front summer tires lasted a season - 3 track days, 2 autocross events and commuting when not working from home. It's shoulder wear from the track days mostly. Will buy a new pair for 2022. The rear ones have another season in them.
Before that I had an Audi quattro with those A/S tires and that was a tank in the snow and did decently on the track. Not nearly as much fun as the F80 with summer tires on the track though.
The car won't be driven went it snows out. I just want to see if anyone can give me pros and cons going from summer tires to all seasons.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 07:25 PM   #4
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD2018F80 View Post
Hey all. What does everyone think about putting high performance all season tires on the M3 instead of summer tires? I want to be able to drive the car when it gets cold. I don't track the car just highway and backroads mostly.

Thanks!
depends on where u live. you can drive some summer tires in winters in places that dont see snow and ice without problems.

if you do live in a climate that has snow and ice routinely, just get some cheap beater wheels with snow tires for winters.

imo it'd be a shame to put miles on a car like this on some all seasons. in all honesty all seasons are a compromise for both winters and summers.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
JMD2018F80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyouduh View Post
depends on where u live. you can drive some summer tires in winters in places that dont see snow and ice without problems.

if you do live in a climate that has snow and ice routinely, just get some cheap beater wheels with snow tires for winters.

imo it'd be a shame to put miles on a car like this on some all seasons. in all honesty all seasons are a compromise for both winters and summers.
I live in NJ so all seasons are a good option since I want to drive the car when it gets cold. I know summer tires are stickier than all seasons. I'm just not sure the way I drive I will notice much difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:23 PM   #6
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD2018F80 View Post
I live in NJ so all seasons are a good option since I want to drive the car when it gets cold. I know summer tires are stickier than all seasons. I'm just not sure the way I drive I will notice much difference.
for what it's worth I commuted with "max performance summer tires" when i lived in chicago and only switched to snows/winter tires the few months of winter when it got consistently below 30-40 F. it's doable. I always parked indoors though so the tires werent sitting in near or below freezing weather. and keep in mind there's a wide range of summer tires, would not suggest the current crop of "Extreme performance summer tires" for this use.
Appreciate 0