Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #1
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

White smoke at startup and oil dripping from turbos

Hey guys to make this as simple as possible.

When the car sits for a while like over night, or hours, when I start up the car, and idle a bit and give it a few revs it will blow a cloud of white smoke then it doesn't smoke again after that until sitting again.

I looked down at the turbos and had my mechanic look as well and he says there seems to be oil coming from the v band clamps of both turbos.

He thinks the turbos are bad, other people have said that the oil might be coming from the engine exhaust. I'm not sure what to think yet.
He said he's never seen valve stem seals go bad on the s55.
I haven't really had any oil consumption.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
Hey guys to make this as simple as possible.

When the car sits for a while like over night, or hours, when I start up the car, and idle a bit and give it a few revs it will blow a cloud of white smoke then it doesn't smoke again after that until sitting again.

I looked down at the turbos and had my mechanic look as well and he says there seems to be oil coming from the v band clamps of both turbos.

He thinks the turbos are bad, other people have said that the oil might be coming from the engine exhaust. I'm not sure what to think yet.
He said he's never seen valve stem seals go bad on the s55.
I haven't really had any oil consumption.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?
Sounds like he's right.

If it's oil smoke (blueish-white or light blue), and it smokes only at startup, and there is oil dripping from the turbos, the turbos' seals are probably blown.

Typically if you have oil smoke at startup only and it's not coming from the turbo(s), it's caused by oil leaking into the cylinders overnight or while the car sits for a while. When that happens, usually due to leaking valve guides or valve stem seals, the oil usually pools up in the combustion chambers and burns off when you start the car.

I think it's highly unlikely that oil leaking into the cylinders would make its way all the way through the manifold, through the turbine housing, and drip out the back end. If it was leaking that heavily into/out of the cylinder, you would have more than one puff of smoke at startup.

If it's white smoke (usually coolant) and definitely not oil smoke, and there is definitely oil leaking from the turbos, you probably have two separate problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
Tdog86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3   [9.50]
2016 bmw m3  [0.00]
White steam is normal on all cars if it's cold and there is built up condensation in the exhaust after sitting, people some times assume this is white smoke. Now if you worried check your engine coolant and charge cooler coolant as one could be leaking and going into the combustion chamber. Problem with these cars is the air to water intercooler will leak coolant into the intake. White smoke with a blue tinge means your burning oil. Does the car smell like it's burning oil in the beginning? Is both the turbos leaking on the exhaust side? The turbos could have bad oil sealing rings and is letting it seep out the shaft of exhaust turbine into the exhaust housing.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog86 View Post
White smoke is normal on all cars if it's cold and there is built up condensation in the exhaust after sitting.
That would be steam, not smoke.

Smoke is never normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #5
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the replies so far gentleman.

I can assure you the smoke is oil because of the smell, which is unmistakable. It hangs in the air forever until the wind blows it away.

Plus there's literally oil dripping off both turbos all over the steering rack, down pipes and the floor pan.

I was going to have the lines and o rings changed but my mechanic said that once he got a look it was obvious that the oil was coming from the clamp that holds the two turbo halves together.

I agree about the stem seals most likely not causing oil to make it into the turbos without burning up first.

I tried to get good photos but my camera can't focus very well in low light and close distance.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep

Also I know the difference between the morning steam and condensation that is similar to smoke in appearance and this is not it. This is oil smoke
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #7
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
Sounds like he's right.

If it's oil smoke (blueish-white or light blue), and it smokes only at startup, and there is oil dripping from the turbos, the turbos' seals are probably blown.

Typically if you have oil smoke at startup only and it's not coming from the turbo(s), it's caused by oil leaking into the cylinders overnight or while the car sits for a while. When that happens, usually due to leaking valve guides or valve stem seals, the oil usually pools up in the combustion chambers and burns off when you start the car.

I think it's highly unlikely that oil leaking into the cylinders would make its way all the way through the manifold, through the turbine housing, and drip out the back end. If it was leaking that heavily into/out of the cylinder, you would have more than one puff of smoke at startup.

If it's white smoke (usually coolant) and definitely not oil smoke, and there is definitely oil leaking from the turbos, you probably have two separate problems.

To be clear there is no oil dripping out the back end, just from the turbos
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #8
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To be clear there is no oil dripping out the back end, just from the turbos
Gotcha. When you said V-band I thought you meant the downpipe v-band.
Between the two halves is where the bearing lives.

Sounds like it's time for upgraded turbos. If that's not in the budget you can have them rebuilt.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #9
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
Gotcha. When you said V-band I thought you meant the downpipe v-band.
Between the two halves is where the bearing lives.

Sounds like it's time for upgraded turbos. If that's not in the budget you can have them rebuilt.
I'll post more details on here when I get it resolved. I will be unable up continue this for the next month though because I have a bit of traveling to do.

If anybody else has seen anything like this please let me know before I spend money unnecessarily or on the wrong fix
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 11:42 PM   #10
BoostinLI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:
I'll post more details on here when I get it resolved. I will be unable up continue this for the next month though because I have a bit of traveling to do.

If anybody else has seen anything like this please let me know before I spend money unnecessarily or on the wrong fix
Did you end up fixing the problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 04:31 AM   #11
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarlcase View Post
Did you end up fixing the problem?
yeah had turbos overhauled
Appreciate 0