ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #23
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Is it analogous to what this guy is doing with ISTA to his E90?

(Buried within/part of a DSC recal routine?)

I don't (yet) have a copy of ISTA so can't confirm whether this function is present for our chassis
I think so. If I'm not mistaken I think the brake pressure sensors are called DSC pressure sensors on bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #24
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0ff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickd_21 View Post
Hi everyone,

Reaching out for help here as I'm at my wits end with the brakes on this car.

I bought myself a 2016 M3 with 5000 miles on pretty much 1 yr ago exactly. It's my daily and my lapping car at the moment.

When I bought the car, I slapped on some DTC-60 pads, Castrol SRF fluid, and off I went. The car was great all year and I got in 6 events.

The only complaint I had was that the pedal would get a tiny bit soft at the end of a 20min session. Probably due to the stock rubber lines expanding 17min into a hard session. Also, lots of wear on the outside of the tires

So over the winter I went out and bought stainless steel lines and camber plates. Had them installed by a shop, did a brake fluid flush, and was ready to start the year.

HERE is where the problems started.

At my first event, after a warm up lap, I started getting hard on the brakes and almost instantly, the brake pedal became very strange. The first 2-3 inches of pedal did nothing, and then all of my brakes were in the last 1-2 inches. I need to specify here that the pedal feel in the last 2 inches is good. Brakes are rock hard and I can brake HARD going into corners, it's just that since the pedal travel is so long and the brakes are all in the last few inches, modulation is difficult. I can do a full 20 min session going hard braking deep into braking zones, and it does not fade.

When I get off the track and the brakes cool, the pedal feels almost 90% better, but never perfect. I cannot replicate the low engagement point of the brakes in the street.

Here is the list of things I've tried that have had 0 impact on making it better:

- I thought there was maybe air in the system. Bled the system like 10 times. 2-3 times the traditional way. Once with a vaccum bleeder. 3 times with a power bleeder. Bled the ABS 3 times. Did a full fluid flush. I did it about 3 times. Another shop did it twice. Another shop did it 3 times. Another shop did it once

- I thought that since the issues started right after I did the brake lines, maybe it was the lines the issue. Swapped back to stock lines. Brakes still feel terrible, maybe even worse.

- Tried different pads (PFC-08). No difference

I'm getting real tired of this . 3 shops have bleed the brakes. I'm convinced there is no air in the system. I went back to my setup last year when everything was working well and that didn't fix things.

At this point I'm starting to get tired of throwing money at the issue and want to see if anyone has had this problem before. If no one has, my next step will probably be to rebuild the front calipers.

Please help lol
I use RBF660 motul with great success

Sometimes late in the 20 min session depending on how hard I push and how thin my pads are I do a "brake check" pedal tap before braking and it brings the pedal rock hard for the upcoming braking zone, try that and it will help you.
It's probably hard though because when you tap the brake like that you deplete the booster and also the orfices in the DSC unit are small so the fluid stay kinda pressurized. Could also be that you close up the running clearance caused by piston knock back.
Appreciate 1
David0ff1056.00
      08-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #25
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
If they went from blue to dark green that day then that means your caliper temps were without a doubt well beyond the boiling point of any fluid. It probably didn't feel like it because unlike other brake fluids, SRF will feel more or less normal once it cools down again and will require some work to reboil. That's why it's so amazing.

I also had green calipers and used PFC pads (08s run a bit hotter than any other pad I used).

I'm not sure how to do the reset on BMWs but if your brakes are only engaging at the end of travel then that would be the first thing I check (brake pressure sensors).
Many thanks! I was surprised how fast the brakes overheated - they were smoking after my first session (which I intentionally took easy). I guess a short track like Summit Point is not ideal for a heavy car like this, but still, one would have expected better brake heat management in a car this carefully engineered...

All best!
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      08-11-2021, 12:23 PM   #26
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Many thanks! I was surprised how fast the brakes overheated - they were smoking after my first session (which I intentionally took easy). I guess a short track like Summit Point is not ideal for a heavy car like this, but still, one would have expected better brake heat management in a car this carefully engineered...

All best!
Anytime bro.

I dealt with miserable levels of brake heat on my F82 so I know your pain. I avoided a BBK for as long as possible until I realized that it was inevitable.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      08-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #27
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Anytime bro.

I dealt with miserable levels of brake heat on my F82 so I know your pain. I avoided a BBK for as long as possible until I realized that it was inevitable.
Seems like that's the general consensus but the only thing that blows my mind is the Nurburgring taxis (specifically APEX) run many hours a day on stock calipers with different rotors and pads (on stock iron calipers not the CCB) and they have 0 issues.
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #28
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch32 View Post
Seems like that's the general consensus but the only thing that blows my mind is the Nurburgring taxis (specifically APEX) run many hours a day on stock calipers with different rotors and pads (on stock iron calipers not the CCB) and they have 0 issues.
Some guys here don't experience any brake heat issues but more than 3/4 of the F8x drivers I track with do.

I think it probably has a lot to do with all the speed and airflow on the ring even with lack of ducts. I would also assume that they're using street tires and not threshold braking with a full car of people. Aren't the taxis M5s? Or do they have others?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #29
patrickd_21
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch32 View Post
This....

My calipers went from blue to green last year and the pedal felt great

This year the calipers went from green to dark brown (running a stickier tire). Im a decent driver, I carry a lot of speed and brake hard on all corners, but I just don't see how APEX is running stock caliper with the caliber driver they have with no issue...
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      08-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #30
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This....

This year the calipers went from green to dark brown (running a stickier tire). Im a decent driver, I carry a lot of speed and brake hard on all corners, but I just don't see how APEX is running stock caliper with the caliber driver they have with no issue...
Well, to be fair they probably brake a lot less than us plebs.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #31
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This....

Something is definitely up, the video at 6:00 the discuss the brakes as Pagid RSL29 with APP rotors which I think are girodiscs which maybe the aluminum hat helps dissipate heat fast.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 06:51 PM   #32
dxj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

OP, this is unlikely solution to your problem given continued issues but I had a problem that gave me same symptoms. I discovered that when I swapped pads, my retainer spring wedged on one side inside the backing plate of a break pad and as such introduced space between disc and pad which allowed pistons to come out more on one side of one wheel. The brake pedal would engage lower and I couldn’t do heel/toe but the brake force was still there once engaged. My gut feel is that one of the pins might have pushed the retainer spring a little when I first hit my breaks after swapping pads but can’t say for sure. Hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 09:56 AM   #33
patrickd_21
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxj View Post
OP, this is unlikely solution to your problem given continued issues but I had a problem that gave me same symptoms. I discovered that when I swapped pads, my retainer spring wedged on one side inside the backing plate of a break pad and as such introduced space between disc and pad which allowed pistons to come out more on one side of one wheel. The brake pedal would engage lower and I couldn’t do heel/toe but the brake force was still there once engaged. My gut feel is that one of the pins might have pushed the retainer spring a little when I first hit my breaks after swapping pads but can’t say for sure. Hope this is helpful.
I suspected a spring at first, but after verifying everything many times, swapping many pads and I've eliminated the spring as a possibility. They are all well positioned.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #34
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

I think like others have said these calipers just arn't great, especially with knock back. I went to giro disc and PFC11 and i have good brakes, but not amazing. I have to tap them before the brake zone on 2 hard brake zones. I also have cooling ducts coming off the splitter and they don't fade, but i just don't like the pedal feel.

I run Motul 600, stainless lines also. After these rotors are done i will probably go with the StopTech ST60 kit. I have the ST40 on my E46M for the last 10+years and they are just always solid.

How many people run knock back springs? Do the always drag on the rotor even on the street?
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 01:49 AM   #35
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I need to do this too... I have felt like my brakes have needlessly long travel for as long as I've had the car
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 06:28 PM   #36
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
I need to do this too... I have felt like my brakes have needlessly long travel for as long as I've had the car
I plan to squeeze all the juice out of the OEM calipers before going BBK.

stage 1 - remove dust shield ($0)

stage 2 - install a two piece rotor ($2400 for both axles)

stage 3 - install stainless steel pistons, high temp seals and dust boots ($600 for both axles)

stage 4 - remove any air from system

Can we call this a small brake kit?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:17 AM   #37
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post

stage 3 - install stainless steel pistons, high temp seals and dust boots ($600 for both axles)

I've been thinking along similar lines.

I've done the stainless pistons, high temp seals, dust boots, and titanium shims. Stainless lines and fluid of course. Getting air out is totally mandatory.

I feel this will get me some more life out of OEM system at the track before blowing my budget on BBK.

Not sure why but on this car almost nothing I do makes the brakes feel amazing. When I used to have my 350Z back in the day, after similar brake upgrades I had a rock solid pedal and amazing feel. Maybe its this calibration thing. No idea.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2021, 06:12 AM   #38
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Not sure that $3k in upgrades makes sense when the front BBK is $5k and has demonstrated resale upwards of $3k on the used market. Sounds like you would be money ahead just upgrading now. Just a thought.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2021, 02:06 PM   #39
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Not sure that $3k in upgrades makes sense when the front BBK is $5k and has demonstrated resale upwards of $3k on the used market. Sounds like you would be money ahead just upgrading now. Just a thought.
My poor man's brake kit costs 3k vs 10k for an AP setup on both axles. For me, it's all or none.

Also,

- my f80 is a dual duty car and I'm not sure I could tolerate the pad rattle of a BBK on a daily basis, especially on lousy NYC roads.

- my car sees salted winter road conditions and most BBKs don't have dust boots to keep out debris. I suppose I could swap to/from a BBK depending on the season.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 11:57 PM   #40
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

Just got back from two days at AutoClub (California SuperSpeedway.) Before going to the track, I replaced the OEM brake fluid with Castro SRF and installed EndlessUSA ME20 brake pads.
What I noticed most was a complete and total lack of consistency when it came to brake pedal travel. On some turns, the brake pedal would travel very far before I felt bite. But when it bit, it bit HARD. Other turns I would get bite at the top of the Pedal.

It never seemed as though my brake force was compromised, only the amount of pedal travel I needed to engage it... Which I will say, makes Heel N Toe downshifting a little more sketchy because of the muscle memory in brake travel doesn't exist.

I did also find however the problem seemed much worse on day 1 than it did on day 2. As I was becoming smoother and more comfortable with my lines and not being so sloppy with my footwork, the pedal seemed to have more consistency and more bite at the top.

Would I prefer to have consistent brake feel without care for my technique? Yes. Did I find that driving more skillfully helped? Also, yes.

My conclusion, the brakes worked great even with odd distances in the pedal engagement. I'm sure it will screw with my confidence but the ///M didn't seem to care. It still got the job done.

I'm sure I'll be complaining about this angrily for the next few years too though. Maybe I should have bought a 911. lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 12:28 AM   #41
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post
Just got back from two days at AutoClub (California SuperSpeedway.) Before going to the track, I replaced the OEM brake fluid with Castro SRF and installed EndlessUSA ME20 brake pads.
What I noticed most was a complete and total lack of consistency when it came to brake pedal travel. On some turns, the brake pedal would travel very far before I felt bite. But when it bit, it bit HARD. Other turns I would get bite at the top of the Pedal.

It never seemed as though my brake force was compromised, only the amount of pedal travel I needed to engage it... Which I will say, makes Heel N Toe downshifting a little more sketchy because of the muscle memory in brake travel doesn't exist.

I did also find however the problem seemed much worse on day 1 than it did on day 2. As I was becoming smoother and more comfortable with my lines and not being so sloppy with my footwork, the pedal seemed to have more consistency and more bite at the top.

Would I prefer to have consistent brake feel without care for my technique? Yes. Did I find that driving more skillfully helped? Also, yes.

My conclusion, the brakes worked great even with odd distances in the pedal engagement. I'm sure it will screw with my confidence but the ///M didn't seem to care. It still got the job done.

I'm sure I'll be complaining about this angrily for the next few years too though. Maybe I should have bought a 911. lol.
Double tap your brakes. Press once quick and hard to seat the pads, then second press is the actual braking zone.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 03:07 AM   #42
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post

Double tap your brakes. Press once quick and hard to seat the pads, then second press is the actual braking zone.
You would think by 2018 if BMW could figure out how to auto blip a 6MT so you match revs on a downshift, they would also be able to figure out how to give you consistent brake pedal travel at the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 05:37 PM   #43
EGbeater
IG: @panda_exprs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT, E36 M3/4

Quote:
I've been thinking along similar lines.

I've done the stainless pistons, high temp seals, dust boots, and titanium shims. Stainless lines and fluid of course. Getting air out is totally mandatory.

I feel this will get me some more life out of OEM system at the track before blowing my budget on BBK.

Not sure why but on this car almost nothing I do makes the brakes feel amazing. When I used to have my 350Z back in the day, after similar brake upgrades I had a rock solid pedal and amazing feel. Maybe its this calibration thing. No idea.
melanthius, I'm assuming you mean the Racing Brake SS pistons for OEM F8x caliper application?

https://racingbrake.com/bb-43p/ (front, currently $266/set)
https://racingbrake.com/bb-22p/ (rear, currently $133/set)

Do you remember if you perceived a significant improvement in # of laps before the fluid started to boil, or even better brake pedal feel/firmness on the lap before a soft pedal/overheated fluid condition eventually occurred?

I asked Racing Brake today "Has Racing Brake ever conducted any controlled-condition tests regarding the difference in radiated heat over time through a RB stainless piston to brake fluid, vs a representative same-sized, flat-faced aluminum caliper piston?" and they just sent me a link to this page of marketing copy and low-res pictures of OEM brake calipers/busted-up pistons devoid of any actual testing/validation of concept and execution...

https://racingbrake.com/why-rb-stainless-steel-piston/

I found this claim of performance advantage on that page particularly amusing:

Advantage of a thin wall cut stainless steel piston vs. straight cut: weight saving - Lighter wt means quicker brake response in braking and release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post

D_SheerDrivingPleasure, have you installed SS caliper pistons in your OEM brakes as planned?

If so, have you tracked the car with the new stainless pistons yet... and can you please share your experience (was there any perceived benefit)?

To be clear, I'm planning on ordering the RB stainless steel pistons anyway, because the concept seems valid and it's fairly low cost, if it even gains me an extra half hotlap (less than 60 seconds at my home track) per session before my overheated brakes fade my confidence going into the corners @ 10/10ths...
PM ME FOR USED F8x PARTS! What's left: brand-new pair of VNE front brake rotors; used Ferodo DS3.12 and PFC08 front track pads and used Stoptech Sport and OEM rear brake pads; Apex wheel black center caps (brand new, never used) qty 3
MEDIA: @panda_exprs youtube.com/user/EGbeater/videos
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:11 PM   #44
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

I installed the ss pistons + girodiscs in October and did several track days with them, including 2 days at WGI which is pretty hard on the brakes. I had complete confidence which can shave time...nothing is worse that having to stand on the pedal. It's a worthwhile upgrade for a dual duty car and/or if your taking baby steps.

Also, make sure you get the high temp seals and dust boots. They didn't turn to ash like the OEM ones.

Edit: A faster driver could easily overwhelm this setup. I'm kind if a granny. For reference, I'm 5 plus seconds slower that the Spanish Stig at WGI. He's 2:06 on 200tw tires.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
CSBM52716.50
EGbeater115.00