Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #67
Nicky_do_it
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP manual (previous)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spham View Post
Moderator Note: Before commenting on the situation, please also be aware of these three past incidents which help put things in context. This is not the first time this type of failure has occurred.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1082067
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1094424
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1159393

F82 owners (and possibly other M cars), December 30th was a terrible and sad day for me. I blew my engine.......

I was driving on the freeway to a meeting when all of a sudden a "Low Oil Pressure Warning: Stop carefully" warning came on. I found it weird because I had an oil change at like 1.6k miles (my car was at 9k at the time) so I thought it was just missing oil or something since the car was relatively new. We also didn't feel or hear anything. Shortly after, I got a "Drivetrain malfunction" warning from the car that also said to "drive moderately". The car seem to drive fine as all this was happening.

I decided to finally exit the freeway and pull over to a nearby gas station. As we were exiting we heard some clunking noise from the engine. We parked and checked under the car and saw some smoke. Shortly after (1-3 minutes) we saw oil leaking from the front of the car. We called BMW's emergency roadside assistance which sent a tow truck to get the car to the nearest BMW center.

The tow truck came by 20-30 minutes later and to get the car on the truck (the truck had a tow bed) we had to reverse from our spot and push it onto the truck. This meant I had to turn on the car to put the car in reverse as well as in neutral. When we turned it on, the engine sounded terrible as it was throbbing and thrashing and eventually died a couple of times. We didn't know how else to keep it in neutral and reverse so we kept the engine on.

We dropped it off at a nearby BMW center and because it was the 30th, they said they couldn't check it out until Monday, Jan 2. It was funny because when he checked the stats of my car on the computer, he said "oh you are due for an oil change". I'm pretty thankful for the rep they assigned me because they hooked it up with a loaner car which saved the weekend. I really appreciate him for that. But an agonizing wait none the less for the diagnostic.

Come Monday, I dropped off the loaner and asked what happened. The reason was freaking crazy. They found a hole in the oil cooler under the car similar looking to this (not an actual F82 under carriage oil cooler). Not just any hole, a relatively small hole where ONE of the veins was punctured. When they told me this, I was like "a small object did this to my car?". They were like "yeah most likely a small heavy one". They said maybe it was a heavy small rock on the freeway that bounced. They couldn't find the exact object.

I was like wtf rocks are always on the road has this happened to other cars? They answered yes, yes it has. They told me, my engine was wrecked and would have to replace it with a remanufactured one as well as other parts which would cost around 40k. I then asked if this was going to be fronted by BMW in which they responded with no because I drove an extra 9 miles after the "Low oil pressure" warning came on. Saying the engine probably would have been fine if I didn't drive for so long.

At the time, I was a little flabbergasted that a small object can wreck such an amazing piece of engineering so I couldn't really recount the event of the incident. I told them, ok I will make a claim through insurance. But as I kept thinking throughout the day, it friggin sucks because the warning only came up once and it makes the same noise as low tire pressure (which I get a lot because my tires seemed to be having leak issues ever since I got it) and the speed warning one.

What do you guys think? Is it really my fault and should BMW cover this?
I hope BMW covers it. I thought insurance (comprehensive) only covers an unusual event. Hopefully your insurance co considers a small rock hitting your oil cooler an event
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #68
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
if you shift the dct in neutral and use the hand brake, I believe the unit changes to park if you let the car sit while you are in it.

I am not sure but I swear I did this one time after pulling over to go on the phone- and the car switched itself to park and turned off eventually.
No, the manual says it won't go to P unless the ignition is cut off, which happens when:

▷ When locking the vehicle, and when the low beams are activated.
▷ Shortly before the battery is discharged completely, so that the engine can still be started. This function is only available when the low beams are turned off.
▷ When opening or closing the driver door, if the driver's safety belt is unbuckled and the low beams are turned off.
▷ While the driver's safety belt is unbuckled with driver's door open and low beams off.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #69
Invictus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 (Ultimate Package)

This sucks but it is an insurance claim.

Honestly, BMW put the car together properly and the parts didn't fail under "normal use". There is some poor design there, to be sure.

Go through insurance for this one.
      01-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #70
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
IMHO, the warranty denial has mostly to do with the fact that the damage is a consequence of an foreign object hitting the car and not a manufacturing defect.

I wish the OP a prompt and fair resolution to this unfortunate ordeal.
Though unpopular, imo you have the best take/summary on reality here.

This will end up with OP's Insurance who can use their time/money/lawyers to sue BMW for reimbursement if they feel there is a case.

Hoping the OP has a low deductible and accident forgiveness.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #71
DL3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Not surprised BMW won't cover. More a combination of bad luck/act of God. On a much smaller scale my old E46 M3 fog light was hit by a stone and shattered, guess who paid that bill?? Sure not BMW. Good luck and yes.... This SUCKS.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #72
ssuene93
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: '16 F80

Sorry to hear that OP. Agreed with above that it should be an insurance claim. Hope it got resolved. Keep us posted how it goes.

Good luck!
2009 E93 335i (ED June 2009) - Retired
2008 E60 535i (ED March 2008) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #73
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by einscot View Post
i wonder if any aftermarket company has finally created a shield of some sort to keep this from happening. we've all accidentally run over something in our lives (didn't see it in time, it couldn't be avoided, etc), and this would seem to be a huge design flaw.
http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...l-cooler-guard
Seems like that $700 guard would not have prevented OPs problem as the openings still would allow a small stone or bolt to strike the oil cooler. It needs to have a wire mesh guard over the large openings. Like chicken wire with 1/4 inch square openings.

I can't wait to put some chicken wire on my $80k M3.
Appreciate 1
itrsteve136.50
      01-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #74
Dphan2007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Seems like that $700 guard would not have prevented OPs problem as the openings still would allow a small stone or bolt to strike the oil cooler. It needs to have a wire mesh guard over the large openings. Like chicken wire with 1/4 inch square openings.

This is true. I might have to do this precautionary work to mines as well. Should we all file a claim at BMW USA?
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 10:38 PM   #75
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post

OP. That just sucks.

Actually, chicken wire might not have prevented the damage either. I assume air for the oil cooler comes in through the front and flows through the cooler then rear ward under the car. If that is the case, wouldn't something similar to the IND part but with rear facing louvers or slots be a better design? The spaces would be designed to be big enough to not compromise the current cooling and the metal would be thin like the IND part. I would certainly buy one of those as a preventative measure.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #76
ktc
Private
Rep
Drives: blue beast

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think I'd buy an extra quart or two of engine oil and keep it in the trunk for good luck. If this ever happens, just add more oil before doing anything else!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 11:24 PM   #77
spham
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black M4

I don't think there is anyway this could be avoided unless you cover up the bottom which I don't think is a good idea for cooling. I was driving the M for 9 months already without any problems. Just shit luck that something hit the right spot to cause a hole. If it hit the shins, I would've been fine. I should've bought a lottery ticket after this happened.

I think even if I stopped on the side of the freeway, the engine would've been wrecked anyway because the tow truck guy would've told me to put the car in neutral to get it up the truck. It took the tow truck 30 minutes to get to me so I would assume the same if I was on the side of the freeway. The oil would've been drained by then.

It just feels shitty because I bought this car planning to own it long term but now I will be always be bothered and paranoid about this vulnerability and whatever unknown engineering tradeoff BMW may have risked. I fully trusted BMW with top notch quality which for the most part this car is. Just that a tiny object from the freeway can puncture a hole is really off putting. Makes me question all my beliefs (lol jk just being dramatic)
      01-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #78
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
I don't think there is anyway this could be avoided unless you cover up the bottom which I don't think is a good idea for cooling. I was driving the M for 9 months already without any problems. Just shit luck that something hit the right spot to cause a hole. If it hit the shins, I would've been fine. I should've bought a lottery ticket after this happened.

I think even if I stopped on the side of the freeway, the engine would've been wrecked anyway because the tow truck guy would've told me to put the car in neutral to get it up the truck. It took the tow truck 30 minutes to get to me so I would assume the same if I was on the side of the freeway. The oil would've been drained by then.

It just feels shitty because I bought this car planning to own it long term but now I will be always be bothered and paranoid about this vulnerability and whatever unknown engineering tradeoff BMW may have risked. I fully trusted BMW with top notch quality which for the most part this car is. Just that a tiny object from the freeway can puncture a hole is really off putting. Makes me question all my beliefs (lol jk just being dramatic)
How is what happened to you a BMW engineering tradeoff?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 11:57 PM   #79
spham
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
How is what happened to you a BMW engineering tradeoff?
Not sure if I'm understanding your question but:

To cool the car, they put the oil cooler pretty close to the ground that something small could puncture a hole. I'm no car engineer but if that's the best way to cool it, then there's no other way to do it. It still doesn't change the fact that it is risky. It could happen to anyone with the right conditions (a puncture in the under cooler that is) and it has - the dealer said they have seen this many times.
      01-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #80
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
I remember reading about an aftermarket undercarriage cover piece that was made specifically to protect this. Has anyone else come across that? This got me a bit paranoid now.

OP is your car lowered? Im wondering if BMW will put any blame on lowered cars for this kind of damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #81
spham
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
I remember reading about an aftermarket undercarriage cover piece that was made specifically to protect this. Has anyone else come across that? This got me a bit paranoid now.

OP is your car lowered? Im wondering if BMW will put any blame on lowered cars for this kind of damage.
Everything is stock
      01-04-2017, 12:02 AM   #82
woosolow
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 (2015 M3)

Quote:

i hear you, feel sorry for the incident happened to you.

are you leasing right now or financing thru bmw? maybe you should get this oil cooler guard?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1171537

anyone has this guard? will this avoid such incident happens to anyone of us? or actually it is still largely exposed?

PRODUCT LINK: http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...l-cooler-guard

OEM plastic guard VS IND Oil cooler guard
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:06 AM   #83
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Not sure if I'm understanding your question but:

To cool the car, they put the oil cooler pretty close to the ground that something small could puncture a hole. I'm no car engineer but if that's the best way to cool it, then there's no other way to do it. It still doesn't change the fact that it is risky. It could happen to anyone with the right conditions (a puncture in the under cooler that is) and it has - the dealer said they have seen this many times.
Rocks crack windshields, nails puncture tires, rocks go through radiators, debris punctures oil pans, etc. etc. These are "risks" of driving your car, not engineering risks by BMW. Do Google
search for "oil cooler puncture" and see the thousands of returns - most of which have nothing to do with BMW. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
See below:

This would not have prevented OP's problem.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org

Last edited by SakhirM4; 01-04-2017 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2017, 12:13 AM   #84
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Sorry to hear. What a cluster. Seems like a design flaw to me given the other incidences of similar damage. Still, the path of least resistance will likely be your personal insurance.

Good luck and keep us posted.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:41 AM   #85
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Sorry but its dumb not to stop and check what is going on. All your fault and you have to pay the price. Used engine is cheaper option
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #86
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosolow View Post

are you leasing right now or financing thru bmw? maybe you should get this oil cooler guard?

anyone has this guard? will this avoid such incident happens to anyone of us? or actually it is still largely exposed?

Its still has big holes. You need to put some net to prevent big enough objects to hit the cooler.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2017, 12:48 AM   #87
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosolow View Post

Yeah... i dont think this IND piece could've prevented the rock damage. It still looks pretty exposed.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 01:16 AM   #88
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:

it sucks but I would make sure it gets fixed and the engine is properly broken in. I would not have any issue with keeping the car long term with a new engine. there is a concern it could happen again, but honestly there has been so few examples of this that I would not worry and just enjoy the car.

certainly bmw needs to be aware of this problem and changes if possible be made to minimize if further, but only see that if this was an epidemic and it is cheaper for them to find a fix than the damage to their reputation.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0