proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-24-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

I was wrong - 2017 F80 ZCP & 2012 911 GTS Exhaust Video Clip

I said GTS was louder in another thread as it does seem so driving the car. I was wrong.

The other caveat which may or may not make a difference is that the M3 was cold started and had not been run in a couple of days where the GTS was up to temperature as I have been driving it all day right before this video clip. The GTS also has that louder cold start idle when cold.

I may shoot another when both are cold and do a drive by as the GTS really shines when it is between 5.5k and 7.5k on the street and seems to come on cam around 6.3 where is raises the volume and the pitch and just screams.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 11-24-2019 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hi thanks for sharing!

Stock exhaust on both cars?

My $0.02, volume was never an issue with my f80, but the raspy tone is what I didn’t prefer. I recently heard a stock e46m3 and it had rasp in spades so maybe that’s the sound (for some unfathomable reason) that bmw goes for
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Hi thanks for sharing!

Stock exhaust on both cars?

My $0.02, volume was never an issue with my f80, but the raspy tone is what I didn’t prefer. I recently heard a stock e46m3 and it had rasp in spades so maybe that’s the sound (for some unfathomable reason) that bmw goes for
My original comment was simply that the GTS sounded better and then responded to comment about loudness. Hence the video.

Sound wise, I love the 997.2 sound, especially the GTS sound with PSE when driving it. The car has a very similar sound to the flat planes in a few of the Italians I have owned over the years and the engine absolutely screams a high pitched wail on cam at around 6,300 to redline.

The F80 sounds a little too Honda fart canish for me. My wife and I were in a parking garage the other night and a heard a car that sounded like my M3 and then it passed us and it was some younger guy with a fart can exhaust of a newish Nissan sedan. It drove by and we both cracked up.

Both are stock in the video.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
My original comment was simply that the GTS sounded better and then responded to comment about loudness. Hence the video.

Sound wise, I love the 997.2 sound, especially the GTS sound with PSE when driving it. The car has a very similar sound to the flat planes in a few of the Italians I have owned over the years and the engine absolutely screams a high pitched wail on cam at around 6,300 to redline.
I spent some time tracking a friend’s 997.2 c4s with sports exhaust and didn’t find it particularly “exotic” but you’d know better since you own a gts and live with it everyday

I have the europipe loud exhaust and race cats on my 6TT and I do like the sound but it’s so loud that after some time in canyons my ears hurt after driving it hard and its excluded from some track events because it can’t make sound check (eg Laguna)

My favorite f80 exhaust is the eisenmann setup. I’d rank it higher than some of the Porsche sounds.

Just goes to show how subjective things are and that you need the right setup for any car, even Porsche. I totally disagree about the blanket statements others (not you) make about Porsche sound being always better than f80.

There was that “gundo hack” vid posted in the other thread and it definitely sound like a “hack” job to me. I didn’t understand why previous owner of my car spent $5-6k on exhaust until I heard how quiet some of the stock 911 are, and how the “hacks” sound
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post

The F80 sounds a little too Honda fart canish for me. My wife and I were in a parking garage the other night and a heard a car that sounded like my M3 and then it passed us and it was some younger guy with a fart can exhaust of a newish Nissan sedan. It drove by and we both cracked up.

Both are stock in the video.
I agree the F8x variants of the M cars sound downright bad - and of my friends who still own one (recent buyers) hate the sound. In all honesty, my 718 GTS sounded better (those same M3 guys agree). The flat 6s are exotic sounding to me as well, especially GT3s which are probably the best sounding car out there sans the V10/12 cars, and even then they aren’t any better sounding IMO. The regular 991.1/.2a also sound fantastic (my 991.2T gets compliments nearly everywhere I go).

Car sound is subjective. Some people like the raspy, tin can sound of the BMW 6s. The competition car was even worse with the overly synthesized (and cheap) burbles that sounds like a marble being knocked around in a solo cup.

Last edited by Funf6cyl; 11-27-2019 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:49 PM   #6
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I spent some time tracking a friend’s 997.2 c4s with sports exhaust and didn’t find it particularly “exotic” but you’d know better since you own a gts and live with it everyday

I have the europipe loud exhaust and race cats on my 6TT and I do like the sound but it’s so loud that after some time in canyons my ears hurt after driving it hard and its excluded from some track events because it can’t make sound check (eg Laguna)

My favorite f80 exhaust is the eisenmann setup. I’d rank it higher than some of the Porsche sounds.

Just goes to show how subjective things are and that you need the right setup for any car, even Porsche. I totally disagree about the blanket statements others (not you) make about Porsche sound being always better than f80.

There was that “gundo hack” vid posted in the other thread and it definitely sound like a “hack” job to me. I didn’t understand why previous owner of my car spent $5-6k on exhaust until I heard how quiet some of the stock 911 are, and how the “hacks” sound
The C4S and GTS are not the same. GTS has X51 package and PSE which changes sound, especially in the upper rev range.
Appreciate 0