GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #23
Ben Overlake
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4

Land Rover products are engineered by their marketing Dept. Ie pile of dog sht
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #24
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

I used to work for Range Rover/Jaguar here in Dubai and let me tell you this, the amounts of complaints we used to get for even brand new cars is insane, like a brand new car failing to start due to a low battery already, airbags deployed when someone was going sand duning with his family an went over a small hill, and the list goes on. After seeing what I saw while I worked there, I wouldn't ever own one.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #25
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
I used to work for Range Rover/Jaguar here in Dubai and let me tell you this, the amounts of complaints we used to get for even brand new cars is insane, like a brand new car failing to start due to a low battery already, airbags deployed when someone was going sand duning with his family an went over a small hill, and the list goes on. After seeing what I saw while I worked there, I wouldn't ever own one.
Thanks for the first hand input. How long ago did you work there? I know they've come a long way in terms of reliability in the recent years. ...and also know (via the Youtube) that people in Dubai take their cars to a new extreme than the rest of the world.

I've definitely heard plenty of rumors of the sub-par reliability, though when I dig through the forums or talk to friends that own them, I come up fairly empty handed. ...Especially in comparison to the BMW forums.

Leave it to Jalopnik to explain it best...
https://jalopnik.com/if-range-rovers...ill-1728727599
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #26
asuh1991
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, M4, RRS Autobiography

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post
Thanks for the first hand input. How long ago did you work there? I know they've come a long way in terms of reliability in the recent years. ...and also know (via the Youtube) that people in Dubai take their cars to a new extreme than the rest of the world.

I've definitely heard plenty of rumors of the sub-par reliability, though when I dig through the forums or talk to friends that own them, I come up fairly empty handed. ...Especially in comparison to the BMW forums.

Myself and about 3 other friends all have a RRS. One of them had no problems whatsoever, the other had some issues here and there but they were all electrical, software related things.

We experienced a drivetrain malfunction 3000km in and it was due to a software glitch (got it fixed, they just updated it). We are now 15,000 in and my driver massage seat is creaking already. My M4 is 50,000 in and NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #27
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post

It was about 5 years ago. They might have improved but just wanted to give you a heads-up to join one of their popular forums and browse through to make sure there aren't many common issues.

I still remember those cars that we had complaints about were from British people.

One was a brand new one and the customer emailed us furious how could his brand new car have a dead battery within a week of ownership (can't remember what he has done) but he had to call the 24 hour assistance to have him going

the other guy was also British going up and down hills in the desert when all the air bags deployed and he was furious as it put his family at risk so we had to compensate him big time for that and replace all the airbags

not saying this might be the case now, but it's good to be cautious
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 07:48 AM   #28
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Stay away from a big and heavy truck/SUV if passionate driving is your first concern, and it should be because you are considering a M3/M4. RRS carries a higher price tag but it won't offer you the same driving experience you get from a M3/M4. The depreciation is also a disaster. In addition, the reliability of LR/RR is just terrible.
      08-04-2019, 12:53 AM   #29
AlexB7RS4
Rep
Drives: Audi B7 RS4

Holy thread revival! I too was surprised (like the guy in 2017) that this topic had come up already.

I'm on the fence between both - looking at MY15ish models for both cars. I've driven an M4 and 2x RRS plus a ton of other cars, and I'm down to M3 and RRS having cancelled out all other sports sedans and SUVs. Looks like a few people have both cars. If you could just have one, which would it be?

Coming out of a B7 RS4 Avant.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:08 AM   #30
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB7RS4 View Post
Holy thread revival! I too was surprised (like the guy in 2017) that this topic had come up already.

I'm on the fence between both - looking at MY15ish models for both cars. I've driven an M4 and 2x RRS plus a ton of other cars, and I'm down to M3 and RRS having cancelled out all other sports sedans and SUVs. Looks like a few people have both cars. If you could just have one, which would it be?

Coming out of a B7 RS4 Avant.
B7 RS4 Avant hands down.
I sold mine (sedan) a while back and regret it all the time.

But between the range and the M3 I’d go RRS. They just feel much more solid. So here’s the twist to my story, I ended up going built up LR3 and M2 combo. One sexy duo if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #31
AlexB7RS4
Rep
Drives: Audi B7 RS4

Yeah that does sound a good combo. My issue is convincing the wife I need 2 cars. She already doesn't understand why I don't just drive a 2007 Mazda 3.

My ideal is a RRS and an air cooled 911 project car, though tbh I probably couldn't swing that. A cheaper daily and a 911 might be an option.

Surprising how versatile and awesome a B7 RS4 Avant is when you go to sell it and try to find something that ticks as many boxes.

Really I can probably only have one car so it's a toss up between my inner hooligan and my getting older self wanting something more practical and comfortable day to day. Started looking at F10 M5s today as well, but I suspect it will be too much of a compromise on both fronts to excite me.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #32
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

I don't know what kind of answer your looking for ask a comparison between a suv and a m car. It a choice you have to make, damage rover are nice but the reliability and after parts is quiet expensive and m car s I don't think are as bad in quality with all the bugs an kilns on the rovers. Let us know what you decided on?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #33
Gumdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Any chance you can swing a RRS SVR? If so, I think that's your answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #34
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumdoc View Post
Any chance you can swing a RRS SVR? If so, I think that's your answer.
Lease don't buy a RR. It's garbage.
Appreciate 0