Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #45
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post

If someone tells me that I only dislike the new design because I'm scared of becoming irrelevant then I should at least be able to clap back with honest reasons why without having my posts deleted.
It's like I kept telling those people at work:

"You people are all stuck in past when this elevator didn't smell like farts - you can't handle the change!"
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2020, 02:30 PM   #46
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That's always been the case in the production lull period between two M3(4) generations. Prices of the outgoing gen are maintained due to the low availability. I am quite sure F8X prices will plumet once the G8X hit the showrooms and become available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Yeah, plus a lot of the last of the 2018 F80s will be coming off leases next year will be flooding the market at the same time.
New models rarely cause the old model to plummet in value - and the production of the F80 has been pretty consistent, so in theory the 2017s are "flooding" the market as we speak.

Everyone thinks the previous gen car falls off a cliff - it just doesn't happen. What does happen is the cars depreciate and they depreciate even faster when outside their 4 year warranty.

From Cargurus if you will...
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
MFNATIK3487.00
_robert_108.50
jpy19801578.00
      09-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #47
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post

Dukec is overturning decades of BMW language (removing the H-kink, using a vertical grille, copying Japanese cars in general, etc) and destroying the way we see BMWs. Now I have to do a double take anytime I see a G20 on the road b/c I can't tell it from a Lexus until I get close enough to see the badge. That to me is a BAD thing. Its like BMW has lost its identity while trying to be "different" when in reality, BMW was already different b/c they were, BMW.
Best post on the legit problems with this new design language - it's not just the grille (but FUUUuuukkk that grille), it's that the whole design looks like a Charger/camero/mustang/toyota/infiniti mashup. Mashups ain't bold.

It's the exact thing the Koreans used to do: steal various designs from multiple German brands and mash them up into one vehicle. Now Biermann is over there and SURPRISE! The Koreans are starting to make good looking vehicles with ORIGINAL design.

Pick any angle of the G8x and you can pull up a picture of how that part of car is copied from other brands.
Appreciate 9
MFNATIK3487.00
minn1913965.50
bm4w144.50
ra2289302.00
clutchdj1848.50
Yeosh7.50
Cangel4.50
      09-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #48
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

With any new BMW release, it is the norm that people on the forums disapprove, then they slowly warm up to the car only to lease it for the next three years until the LCI comes out... rinse repeat.

However, I don't remember a backlash of this level, so it is quite apparent that the styling, the increase in weight and lack of certain elements, i.e. DCT have made people very disappointed.

On top of that, you've got the head of BMW design, Mr. Demagogue, basically shitting on everything in Munich because they're hungry for brand new customers and more sales in Asia where things are just different. 13% sales increase in China in 2019 while Europe and America were hovering around the 0% mark. BMW would rather piss off the more traditional group of buyers than to miss out on extra sales in China and other emerging markets where traditions and brand heritage are not seen as important.

Forums represent only a fraction of real-world buyers of brand new BMWs, though they are THE enthusiasts that also should not be dismissed. But, a man whose last job was at Peugeot Citroen, brands known for their disruptive designs that change every five years, could not care less about that. I bet you that this dude would rather drive a beige 218d Active Tourer than an E46 m3 CSL on sunny Sunday mornings.

By the way, anyone remember Car of the Month threads? Members creating actual build threads that had tens of pages of updates?

Now we've got life-long BMW customers and fans getting banned, strange-looking and overweight M3s, and forum members who would rather plug their Instagrams than anything else.

Times are strange, times are changing, and 2020 sucks.
MFNATIK3487.00
RickFLM410798.50
JamesGames1326.00
SherM4n630.00
Pseudolus134.50
Germanauto9652.00
Yeosh7.50
Cangel4.50
      09-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #49
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
My cousin, who is about a year and half older than me. Owned a E46 M3 w/ Akrapovic system for years and years before his jump into his Porsche 2013 911 GT3 RS. He is about as into cars or more so, than me. Even harder OCD than me (it runs in the family on that side, leave me alone ), which says a lot if you know me to any sort of degree.

His first thoughts about the new G20 was that it looked like a Lexus from the back and he didn't like it, and the car just looked weird. It was very clear he was not into it at all.

Cars like the G20, like I mentioned in a private sub-forum here that Gruss, minn and I posts on. The G20 is a hard, WAY over the top response by BMW for the F-generation cars criticism but in doing so, they have completely just, killed a design language BMW has had for decades. They, being BMW, completely let the criticism get to them because, journalist who knows nothing about cars complain too damn much. Regardless of what some of us think about the F8x S55 engine and exhaust acoustics, the car, once warmed up sounds good still.

You know which company is doing better than BMW right now in terms of sales? Benz. And have you seen them change ANYTHING (aside from that... stupid stock shifter crap) of their exterior design lately? No. They haven't, nor do they seem to really plan on doing so. The new E63 S looks good, I like it, interior complaints aside of course. All of Benz's cars look fairly identical. They are static looking, some AMG cars looks like a aggressive shark from certain angles while keeping a fairly good profile when it comes to all other angles. They don't seem to let the haters get to them, nor do they seem to reply to people complaining about their AMG line-up being too much like the regular cars it's based off of. At least I don't see it (if you do please let me know, I don't mind learning).

Then we have BMW currently. Which seems to be scrambling, in every single direction. The soon to be G80, the iconic M3 from BMW is soon to be a car that looks like a beaver from the front, a Lexus from the back, and some weird Mustang from the side. BMW also fell very far behind in EV. They wanted to make all their interiors the same for cost cutting reasons since they fell behind in the EV department and so now, every car from BMW has the exact same interior design from 3 series, to 8 series from X3 to X7. Benz got away with this because their interior design has been better (not including that stuck on iPad screen, or stock shifter that I despise). BMW's center stack is now just cluttered with everything. Our beloved steering wheel center is now... fatter? Why?! BMW's digital dash design is also not as good as Audi's version, which has had it for years before BMW did.

I was peeking at Rennlist just recently due to my upcoming Macan GTS order and saw members complaining about another refresh that is coming to the Macan. To those who don't know, a pure EV Macan is being released in about 2 - 3 years. Apparently with this new Macan EV that's coming, Porsche is also changing the interior again with the Macan, slapping on a new center stack that you see on the current Taycan, Q8, RS6 and Panamera. This center stack is pretty much all black plastic with touch screens as buttons. Which means, a lot of finger prints and very scratch prone. A LOT of members there do not like this and have been openly vocal about Porsche being confused about their target audience as most there are apparently slightly older than me (mid 30s to 40s), know their tech and cars but hate this with a passion (much like me).

Why did I bring this up? Because it's the same problem BMW has now. They are confusing their target audience with their cars. They are pretty much trying to cast as big of a net as possible with their line-up but in doing so, they have 0 direction or thoughts on who they actually WANT to shoot for. For a lot of us, the M cars should be the line-up that keeps to BMW's old dynamics. Yes, we aren't fond of the "M" SUVs but if they do it well, then we probably won't mind but... they aren't. There is a good, good reason why I choose the Macan GTS over a X3M Comp. Those cars are nothing more than a S engine shoved in a regular X3 chassis with a very overly dampened suspension. We have lost the SMG/DCT tranny BMW has put in their Ms since the E46 M3. In an attempt to make the ZF8 feel like a DCT, they made the ZF8 in their X3M Comp, shift in this weird, jerky manner at certain low speeds. Which is just downright annoying.

The M division has become just marketing as Albert Biermann has warned people about. If BMW isn't careful, they really will become a expensive version of Nissan.
MFNATIK3487.00
minn1913965.50
bm4w144.50
      09-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #50
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Best post on the legit problems with this new design language - it's not just the grille (but FUUUuuukkk that grille), it's that the whole design looks like a Charger/camero/mustang/toyota/infiniti mashup. Mashups ain't bold.

It's the exact thing the Koreans used to do: steal various designs from multiple German brands and mash them up into one vehicle. Now Biermann is over there and SURPRISE! The Koreans are starting to make good looking vehicles with ORIGINAL design.

Pick any angle of the G8x and you can pull up a picture of how that part of car is copied from other brands.
I've said this again and will keep saying it until I get canceled for hate speech: getting rid of the Hoffmeister Kink is a wrong move, bucko!

With cars getting bigger and overhangs longer, this swooping window line only enhances the sheer mass that resides in the rear quarter of the car.

Regarding XXL kidneys, well, look at this CSL Hommage concept from 2015. They totally worked on that car, in my opinion. Why? They're 3D, they've got depth to them that is lacking from the production car and they are not obstructed by a billion of other little creases or fake vents. They also are angled like the shark nose kidneys of the Neue Klasse and 80s models.

What we've received instead is a car that looks like it's had a last-minute plastic surgery. Let me put my tinfoil hat on and say that they had already completed a car with a different, more classic front end before a Croatian dude came in and fucked it up. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the vehicle.

MFNATIK3487.00
SD ///M42989.50
minn1913965.50
bm4w144.50
Cangel4.50
      09-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #51
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
^
100% Agree

BMW is removing all of its core styling elements that other car Manufacturers would kill to have created.
1) Hoffmeister kink
2) Angel eyes
3) Power dome hood
4) Strong character line through door handles
5) Proportional kidney grills

Now you just got a mashup of Lexus/Civic/Audi with fake side gills/vents and Charger indent hood.....
Appreciate 5
MFNATIK3487.00
SD ///M42989.50
_robert_108.50
minn1913965.50
Germanauto9652.00
      09-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #52
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I've said this again and will keep saying it until I get canceled for hate speech: getting rid of the Hoffmeister Kink is a wrong move, bucko!

With cars getting bigger and overhangs longer, this swooping window line only enhances the sheer mass that resides in the rear quarter of the car.

Regarding XXL kidneys, well, look at this CSL Hommage concept from 2015. They totally worked on that car, in my opinion. Why? They're 3D, they've got depth to them that is lacking from the production car and they are not obstructed by a billion of other little creases or fake vents. They also are angled like the shark nose kidneys of the Neue Klasse and 80s models.

What we've received instead is a car that looks like it's had a last-minute plastic surgery. Let me put my tinfoil hat on and say that they had already completed a car with a different, more classic front end before a Croatian dude came in and fucked it up. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the vehicle.

That hard crease on the side is why I love my F82. My E39 had the same design language. This car is a complete albatross. The m performance parts? Like DK from F&F....
Appreciate 1
alex23642845.00
      09-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #53
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
New models rarely cause the old model to plummet in value - and the production of the F80 has been pretty consistent, so in theory the 2017s are "flooding" the market as we speak.

Everyone thinks the previous gen car falls off a cliff - it just doesn't happen. What does happen is the cars depreciate and they depreciate even faster when outside their 4 year warranty.

From Cargurus if you will...
I think reliability would play into it to. The E46 and E90/E92 both have had well known issues after certain years.

At least thus far, the F80/F82 have been very reliable compared to the previous two. I still do not believe the crank hub is a problem unless you tune the car past certain HP/Torque the S55 is not really meant to handle.
MFNATIK3487.00
doug_9992538.50
      09-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #54
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

See, the driver is now smiling!
Name:  24066316-85F0-4199-B1D6-6515BADD8852.jpeg
Views: 704
Size:  79.5 KB
Appreciate 8
GrussGott18113.00
MFNATIK3487.00
PhatLyfe984.00
SD ///M42989.50
_robert_108.50
k-lo37.00
2SNAILS2078.00
Poiseuille5362.00
      09-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #55
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

its unfortunate to see people getting banned over there. especially since BMW at some capacity visits this site and they should know that there are many people here that have purchased various M3/4's but will not entertain the new one. i suppose the only way to silence the dissenting options is to create an echo camber. /rant.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      09-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #56
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

This guy loves the G8x!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
MFNATIK3487.00
PhatLyfe984.00
alex23642845.00
_robert_108.50
      09-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #57
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Lol
I am banned as well as I compared the weird guy who designed the G8X to Homer Simpson
Are we in China?
Damn censoring
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3487.00
      09-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #58
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Very true, I just got a letter from my local BMW dealer to turn in my f80 lease 1 year early to “upgrade” to an m340i for less than I’m paying on my current lease. I want to email back and ask how the hell is that an upgrade.
I got the same letter. I was like WTF? Who the hell thinks that an M340 is an "upgrade"? I just laughed and threw it in the recycle bin.

Appreciate 1
DDD311646.00
      09-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #59
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I got the same letter. I was like WTF? Who the hell thinks that an M340 is an "upgrade"? I just laughed and threw it in the recycle bin.
I got a better one.

While yes, I did get an "M340i" upgrade email too, I most recently got one about the new G22 4er with a "new aggressive updated design!"

I got through... maybe just half of the initial title and instadeleted the email. While wondering if BMW thinks I am that stupid.
SD ///M42989.50
      09-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #60
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
This guy loves the G8x!

Looking that the launch reviews and press takes, I could be wrong, but seem like you can feel BMW big business threats at work:

For youtubers:
* Bad launch review = no access, no events, no press car

For websites:
* Bad launch review = no advertising

For publications:
* Bad launch review = no access, no press car, no events, no advertising

For organizations:
* Bad launch review = no sponsorships

It'd be interesting if this thread lasts - seems good so far!

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-26-2020 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 3
minn1913965.50
DDD311646.00
MFNATIK3487.00
      09-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #61
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I've only made one post over there in the last few months which is probably why I haven't been banned. When the first spy shots were leaked I was ruthless in my criticism in that forum but so were a lot of people. The one thing that drove me crazy, and away from that forum, was one member who was very active in this forum that started to become an over-the-top cheerleader for the new grill. I finally just blocked him because I got tired of his sycophantic sucking up to the G80. I'm pretty sure that most people here will know who I'm talking about. I even posted that I had blocked him and why.

Apparently this censorship is a new unwritten "rule" since the official release. It's too bad that the mods feel they need to have such a heavy hand to stem what seems to be overwhelming dislike for the new design. I've also seen a high percentage of dislike in a number of different Facebook posts on multiple pages. I'm not sure what the mods hope to accomplish by blind censorship, it won't change people's minds, it just silences their voice in one tiny little part of the Internet.

The one recent post that I did make there was in a thread where people were posting links to video reviews of the G80. One video was by Schmee. I posted "Not Schmee! Anyone but Schmee!" Apparently criticism of Schmee is OK and that post got 14 likes!

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=13

Appreciate 2
DDD311646.00
stein_325i25044.00
      09-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #62
IcebergM4
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet_F82 View Post
#BeaverPost
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2020, 09:05 PM   #63
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Apparently this censorship is a new unwritten "rule" since the official release.
It's written in the stickies, just not obvious or easy to find

there are people who legit like it and having constant it-sucks-no-it-doesn't battles *is* pretty pointless, but wouldn't it be easier to just move design disagreement posts to a "design discussion" forum?

no warning sub-forum banning seems baby-bath-water.
Appreciate 3
Jockey3434.50
minn1913965.50
SD ///M42989.50
      09-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #64
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've only made one post over there in the last few months which is probably why I haven't been banned. When the first spy shots were leaked I was ruthless in my criticism in that forum but so were a lot of people. The one thing that drove me crazy, and away from that forum, was one member who was very active in this forum that started to become an over-the-top cheerleader for the new grill. I finally just blocked him because I got tired of his sycophantic sucking up to the G80. I'm pretty sure that most people here will know who I'm talking about. I even posted that I had blocked him and why.

Apparently this censorship is a new unwritten "rule" since the official release. It's too bad that the mods feel they need to have such a heavy hand to stem what seems to be overwhelming dislike for the new design. I've also seen a high percentage of dislike in a number of different Facebook posts on multiple pages. I'm not sure what the mods hope to accomplish by blind censorship, it won't change people's minds, it just silences their voice in one tiny little part of the Internet.

The one recent post that I did make there was in a thread where people were posting links to video reviews of the G80. One video was by Schmee. I posted "Not Schmee! Anyone but Schmee!" Apparently criticism of Schmee is OK and that post got 14 likes!

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=13
That's pretty much what I mean.

We here at BP are still a small group of an overall whole. I have seen Instagram comments as well as YT comments. The general reception so far is, most do not like the design and is comparing it to a beaver, like a lot of us here are already doing. While at other videos of cars like the E63 S LCI face lift, compare the shark like looks of that Benz to the "ugly Beaver" that is the G80/G82. This has been the first time in a very long time I have seen people bash BMW so much for their styling. Yes, the F-generation cars was very subtle but no one called them ugly because they weren't.

Some do like the design because it's "aggressive" but seemly ignore the fact that the amount of modding you need to do, to make the car passable is hilariously high. Most of the modding I seen pretty much extends the bottom lip so the the nose doesn't feel nearly as big in comparison, but that's barely any change. A F8x, regardless of it's the M3 or M4 siblings or the younger sister car M2, do not need any sort of cosmetic change. We do it because are love to punish ourselves.

Regardless of the performance numbers, we know it will be very good. The F9x M5, M8, X3M Comp etc all shown this with their AWD system. But because of all of this change, this is no longer really even a BMW to most of us.
CanAutM321103.00
minn1913965.50
DDD311646.00
GrussGott18113.00
SD ///M42989.50
MFNATIK3487.00
      09-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #65
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Man, I'm looking through the other online reviews of the g8x gen and I just can't get a good angle of the car. It looks weirder and weirder the more I look at it. Honestly, I thought the rear of the car was its saving grace, but upon inspection, it still looks off.

I mean, look at the attached screenshots I took.

Am I just not cool enough to appreciate the design language? (DONT ANSWER! haha)
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
minn1913965.50
GrussGott18113.00
      09-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #66
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

Wow really? That's hilarious
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

11 E90 M3 JEREZ BLK METALLIC ZCP SOLD
Appreciate 0