Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

02-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Vented hoods and water.. a quick review

My latest review video is up, but in this case actually of a subcomponent: Vented hoods!

I got questions all the time on my F32 about my CF vented hood and if it would "ruin" my motor. The concern is that the vent is going to allow water, debris, even soap while washing down into the motor causing issues. Also, I would get statements all the time that the OEM hoods had some form of elaborate drain or channel system to not allow the water actually onto the motor.

My F32 never had any issues and I compared against other OEM vented hoods before I did the install and it was identical.

That said.. I thought the best way to actually show the setup would be with the incredible M2 CS at BMW Seattle! They were kind enough to let me setup both my M2C (which may have a vented hood some day) and the M2 CS that has an aggressive CF vented hood side by side for comparison!

I wanted to share that view, and hopefully settle at least SOME of the debate about vented hoods. Your other option of course, vented hood or not, is to add a crank seal guard from Kies Motorsports! These are available for the N54, N55 and S55 motors, and will prevent your drive belt from walking off the harmonic balancer and damage the crank seal. This is yet another great way of ensuring your car wont have any issues, even if its fairly rare. My F87 will have a crank seal guard installed this week!

'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Great video
Appreciate 2