European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
facuf80
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

F80 M3 weird sound..

hey i recently picked up a 2017 Bmw M3 Dct! hopefully someone can help... i notice it the most in between 1-3 gear at low speeds. when i give it barely any gas i hear a little like metal squeak. and when i let go of the gas it does it as well. if the car is stopped, holding the brake, if i put in reverse it does the noise as well. ive narrowed down and its coming from the rear. any help is appreciated. thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
scourgem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80

Sounds like you might have some rocks stuck between the dust shield and rotors which I think is a common problem.
Appreciate 1
c12h231.00
      02-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

I think I am experiencing the same or similar "drone" "vibration" "rattle" at super low speeds (0-5mph) that to me feels like it's coming from the brake dust shield on the other side of my brake rotors. I'm no mechanic but my car is in for 50k maintenance so I've asked my performance shop to look into it when it's up in the air.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post
I think I am experiencing the same or similar "drone" "vibration" "rattle" at super low speeds (0-5mph) that to me feels like it's coming from the brake dust shield on the other side of my brake rotors. I'm no mechanic but my car is in for 50k maintenance so I've asked my performance shop to look into it when it's up in the air.
Just gently pull on the brake heat shields and see if any rocks come out
Appreciate 1
c12h231.00
      02-20-2020, 01:16 AM   #5
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by facuf80 View Post
hey i recently picked up a 2017 Bmw M3 Dct! hopefully someone can help... i notice it the most in between 1-3 gear at low speeds. when i give it barely any gas i hear a little like metal squeak. and when i let go of the gas it does it as well. if the car is stopped, holding the brake, if i put in reverse it does the noise as well. ive narrowed down and its coming from the rear. any help is appreciated. thank you
Check your diff bushing. Mine made a squeek sound too and it was blown out.
It was at low speed when on and off power. Or stopping and putting into reverse.
Appreciate 0