GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-13-2022, 09:41 PM   #23
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
They probably told you that something is wrong with your engines and it messed up the turbos.
Don't let them BS you into that.
I'm sure they will take care of you regardless.
Yeah I bet they will, there's just no way a turbo with 2500mi on it should have the type of shaft play the shop described, nor the ever-increasing size of my cold-start cloud.

Totally get that this stuff happens and even factory units fail like this. An unfortunate situation either way and a pretty big hassle tbh, but that's the game right?
      01-14-2022, 12:13 PM   #24
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
Yeah I bet they will, there's just no way a turbo with 2500mi on it should have the type of shaft play the shop described, nor the ever-increasing size of my cold-start cloud.

Totally get that this stuff happens and even factory units fail like this. An unfortunate situation either way and a pretty big hassle tbh, but that's the game right?
yeah thats the game.
Gets old though.
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      01-14-2022, 02:30 PM   #25
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
yeah thats the game.
Gets old though.
Feel that for sure. Turbos were too much money and too much of a headache to get running well to have one start puking smoke in less than 3k miles lol.
      01-14-2022, 03:11 PM   #26
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Any play on wheel or turbine shaft?
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 11:48 AM   #27
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Any play on wheel or turbine shaft?
I didn't get to see it firsthand but the shop told me there was definitely shaft play present.

We also heard back from Pure and they want the unit sent back to them for them to inspect. Super super inconvenient, but I also get it. Neither the shop (doesn't have too many bays) nor I are happy about having a disabled car for a while, but not a lot else I can do here.

Only other options would be something totally irrational like swapping turbo/companies entirely to keep it moving and sell the Pures after I get the other one back (which I don't want to do).
      01-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #28
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
I didn't get to see it firsthand but the shop told me there was definitely shaft play present.

We also heard back from Pure and they want the unit sent back to them for them to inspect. Super super inconvenient, but I also get it. Neither the shop (doesn't have too many bays) nor I are happy about having a disabled car for a while, but not a lot else I can do here.

Only other options would be something totally irrational like swapping turbo/companies entirely to keep it moving and sell the Pures after I get the other one back (which I don't want to do).
Bummer man but I'm glad is not engine related. Sounds like a bad seal install on turbo which can happen (built late Friday) lol. I know some of my Audi buddies won't use Pure but have gone TTE or large frame turbos. Maybe entertain Kratos or Bigboost as their turbos have ceramic ball bearings CHRA vs standard bearings.
Good luck bro.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      01-16-2022, 02:47 PM   #29
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Bummer man but I'm glad is not engine related. Sounds like a bad seal install on turbo which can happen (built late Friday) lol. I know some of my Audi buddies won't use Pure but have gone TTE or large frame turbos. Maybe entertain Kratos or Bigboost as their turbos have ceramic ball bearings CHRA vs standard bearings.
Good luck bro.
Thanks man, yeah i was glad to reach more of a consensus that no one was really questioning a bent rod anymore. Hindsight is also 20/20 too. We JUST passed laws to end emissions in our country, and if I could go back to the start I probably would have just done a single turbo kit for the hell of it.

I went Pure to keep it possible to pass my readiness checks, etc. Hey, all good though. Hopefully we're all covered, and back in business without my 007 smoke screen in a few weeks time.
      01-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #30
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Keeping the updates - cold start is getting worse and worse for sure. Oil level remains ok but the car is going back over to the shop on Tuesday to go back under the knife.

I would go ahead and do the Dorch and EU5 while i'm at it, but I feel like I need to take a break from this car for a bit. The Pure and tuning saga has me burned out a little bit.
      02-02-2022, 01:39 PM   #31
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Update: Pure put in a new CHRA and turbo is on the way back here to Nashville.

Can't wait to have the thing back.
Wanted_M750.00
      02-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #32
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Hopefully we can call this thread wrapped and done. Just picked the car up with the "new" turbo and no evidence of any smoke.

The shop said it was the first Pure unit they've installed that they've had problems with. Also noted it had a lot of shaft play, where the new one was super tight like it should be.

They checked the other one (front) one and no play in that one so I hope we're all good here!

For future reference/searching. I had large, and progressively worse clouds of smoke on cold start after sitting for a while and also smoking at WOT. No other smoking during normal driving.

Edit: also big shoutout to Kennedy Performance here in Nashville for helping me out on the re-install price. They worked with me a good bit and helped soften the financial toll that paying for TWO turbo installs takes lol.

Last edited by heitzke; 02-09-2022 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 4
      02-18-2022, 07:33 PM   #33
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 xDrive

Hey heitzke

Me again. You won't believe this, but my car is now doing the exact same thing.
I'm starting to reaaally regret getting into the F80 modding scene, LMAO. I've had nothing but nightmares since November. (But some great experiences ripping this car, when it decides to not try and light my wallet on fire).

So an entirely new CHRA in one of your turbos was the fix?
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #34
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

https://youtube.com/shorts/3DHfobMi9rk?feature=share

Grabbed a quick video, here's what it looks like. I'm gonna go ahead and assume the worst - already texted my guys at the shop to try and get a diagnostic scheduled.

"Ol' Reliable" strikes again!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #35
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseH234 View Post
Hey heitzke

Me again. You won't believe this, but my car is now doing the exact same thing.
I'm starting to reaaally regret getting into the F80 modding scene, LMAO. I've had nothing but nightmares since November. (But some great experiences ripping this car, when it decides to not try and light my wallet on fire).

So an entirely new CHRA in one of your turbos was the fix?
JesseH234 100% exactly what mine looked like. Here's the worst that mine got and this was right before I was able to take it into the shop:

Whole new CHRA was my fix but not sure what the actually problem was. The shop I work with has a really good relationship with Pure so I think they were able to expedite it a bit and they skipped the diagnostic process to just replace the whole CHRA. No smoking at all anymore, but definitely hurt my trust in the process a bit.

At this point I feel like i'm in the exact same boat lol. I have the Dorch kit and EU5's sitting around for a while longer, but I think that's end of the road for me on this platform. The Pures are fun, but sometimes I wish I had just done some fueling, pushed the stock turbos to the limit and left it there. I may feel different after not being so close to the fuel limits on my current setup but we'll see.
      02-19-2022, 03:04 PM   #36
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Well heitzke my car is both looking like a duck and quacking like a duck here.

White smoke on cold start, unmistakable smell of something burning. It stops after around a minute of idling, and I don't notice it when driving. (Potentially happening under WOT, like you had mentioned, but not that I can see in my rear-view mirror)

My first thoughts were the worst - head gasket fault or a coolant leak/cracked block. I feel that those would have PERSISTENT white smoke though, right??

I'm hoping the fact that the white smoke stops lends some credibility to your 'oil pooling up, then burning away on start' hypothesis. Kinda praying my issue is the same..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #37
heitzke
Captain
Rep

JesseH234 I'm thinking you have the same issue(s) I had. The smoke in yours looks like it has a blue tinge to it, suggesting oil.

Also like you said, if it were something else I'd assume smoking all the time or more persistent.

Really sucks to be in that position, but they should be able to tell pretty quickly if that's the issue. Pulling the downpipes and they should be able to see if there's any oil/wetness present as well as test for some sort of shaft play.

My rear turbo was definitely wet and they noted a pretty good amount of play in it. Definitely hasn't smoked at all since i've gotten it back either.
      02-19-2022, 08:56 PM   #38
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Quote:
JesseH234 I'm thinking you have the same issue(s) I had. The smoke in yours looks like it has a blue tinge to it, suggesting oil.

Also like you said, if it were something else I'd assume smoking all the time or more persistent.

Really sucks to be in that position, but they should be able to tell pretty quickly if that's the issue. Pulling the downpipes and they should be able to see if there's any oil/wetness present as well as test for some sort of shaft play.

My rear turbo was definitely wet and they noted a pretty good amount of play in it. Definitely hasn't smoked at all since i've gotten it back either.
Okay, perfect, that's good to know! I was already scheduled for an oil change on Tuesday, so I'll have the shop take a closer look then and see what they find.

Do they need to actually remove a turbo to see if there's some play in the rotating assembly? Or can they just "poke it with a stick" and see if it gives? (lol)

Earlier in this thread you included some photos of the backing plate of one of your turbos with oil residue on it. Was that taken with the turbo still in the engine bay, or after it was extracted?
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2022, 09:36 PM   #39
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseH234 View Post
Okay, perfect, that's good to know! I was already scheduled for an oil change on Tuesday, so I'll have the shop take a closer look then and see what they find.

Do they need to actually remove a turbo to see if there's some play in the rotating assembly? Or can they just "poke it with a stick" and see if it gives? (lol)

Earlier in this thread you included some photos of the backing plate of one of your turbos with oil residue on it. Was that taken with the turbo still in the engine bay, or after it was extracted?
In my case they didn't need to remove much to find something worth noting since it was that rear turbo. Just got to the downpipes and could see the back plate was all wet. If shaft play is present you can literally move the turbine or compressor wheel in/out with your hand. Side to side play is normal but there shouldn't be any in/out movement.

They said they checked the front one too and noted there wasn't shaft play present in that unit.
      02-22-2022, 03:00 PM   #40
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Very informative!

the fact you had no oil consumption means you didnt drive it much?

How many miles did you put on the car since smoke at cold start?

Either way glad to hear you got it fixed.

Let us know if the seals last!

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      02-22-2022, 05:37 PM   #41
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Very informative!

the fact you had no oil consumption means you didnt drive it much?

How many miles did you put on the car since smoke at cold start?

Either way glad to hear you got it fixed.

Let us know if the seals last!
Hoping for the same! They started smoking somewhere around the 2-2100 miles or so, and then I think I finally brought it in with 26-2700. I don't log a ton of miles on the car, but I continuously checked the oil level and was always full.

Since getting it back i've probably only put another 150-200 miles total. So far so good on the turbos but definitely keep everyone updated. I know others have logged many more miles on theirs than I've had on mine so I think I just got unlucky with one.
      02-22-2022, 07:13 PM   #42
G82 Jesse
Private
Rep

Alright small update - As it was explained to me, zero play in the turbos. We didn't, however, look at the back side or pop the charge pipes off. The shop was too busy to devote too much extra time to my scheduled slot for just an oil change this afternoon.

I've been basically told to keep an eye on it and report back if it persists. I haven't been able to replicate the issue very well.. which is either a good or bad sign, not sure yet. I also stuck a GoPro back there and have no visible smoke on WOT.

Something else, I'm a bad M3 owner, lol. I realized I hadn't changed the oil in this car since I got PS2+ installed, which was a good 7,000+ miles ago. Not only that, but I run high E% blends in this car and live in very dusty Arizona. I may have thinned the oil to quite a degree, exacerbating the issue. They recommend I change the oil every 3000-3500mi. Welp, I guess I'll see how it goes from here!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 09:46 PM   #43
heitzke
Captain
Rep

That's all very interesting. I wonder how they tested for shaft play without removing anything?

Mine felt like it started very intermittently as well fwiw. It was only really really cold days after it had been sitting overnight. Subsequent restarts after that, it would never smoke.

I guess just something to keep an eye on for a while. The Pure warranty lasts a pretty decent while so you should be good either way.
      03-01-2022, 10:48 AM   #44
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

I had the same problem about 6 months ago.
When car sat, it would smoke like this.
Had turbos removed. Oil was noted by myself on the exhaust side.
No shaft play.
Sent turbos in. They said the exhaust seal had a step in it. They rebuilt the turbos and sent them back, the smoking stopped.
Never noticed any smoking when driving. Just after letting the car sit.
Appreciate 0