Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #177
AustinJerry
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT

I’m still very pleased with this one:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=172
      06-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #178
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedc5 View Post
Just seeing if you guys had better luck as I just returned mine. Fitment was not flush and left a gap between the radio trim and dash. Looks fine in the driver's seat but was visible when sitting in passenger seat. The metal used is not solid and easily bends. I really wanted this one to work out.
Dang, I just ordered this last night after reading through this thread!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #179
whitedc5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
I ordered after reading this thread also. I guess it depends on how picky you are. You can't tell unless you're in the passenger seat (which I'm sure people didn't check after installing).
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #180
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
I ordered this one the other day after looking for one for my wife's Macan. Will report back after install and use.

http://www.rennline.com/BMW-ExactFit...nfo/PM01%2E19/
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_BK View Post
Just placed my order for this!
Just seeing if you guys had better luck as I just returned mine. Fitment was not flush and left a gap between the radio trim and dash. Looks fine in the driver's seat but was visible when sitting in passenger seat. The metal used is not solid and easily bends. I really wanted this one to work out.
Wow. That honestly just sounds like a defective unit. Did you try asking them to replace it under warranty? Mine sits flush after install, and the metal seems like I could bend it, but only if I actually tried. Just sitting there, it doesn't move or really vibrate. Love mine so far.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #181
whitedc5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f82

Quote:
Wow. That honestly just sounds like a defective unit. Did you try asking them to replace it under warranty? Mine sits flush after install, and the metal seems like I could bend it, but only if I actually tried. Just sitting there, it doesn't move or really vibrate. Love mine so far.
I just gave up and returned it. It was shipped to me in a thin poly envelope/bag, no box for protection. Given your positive experience, my gut says it was probably bent during shipping, thus no longer in it's original shape to conform perfectly after install. The unit I had bent pretty easily -- didn't take much effort.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #182
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Quote:
Quote:
I ordered after reading this thread also. I guess it depends on how picky you are. You can't tell unless you're in the passenger seat (which I'm sure people didn't check after installing).
got my mount today and installed it. when you are only holding the mount, yes it is flimsy and based upon first glance you'd think it would bend easily and/or be useless. once you mount it you will find it does not bend as a result of how it is mounted, just make sure you the little pin on the back of the radio is fully inserted into the hole of the mount. once it is and you screw everything together it mounts up solid with no gap that I could discern and pretty solid with little to no flex. only weak point I could see would be the circular magnetic piece that slips over the metal ball on the mount. this is all plastic and I am thinking with heat and compression it will fail/weaken to where it will not hold a heavier phone upright, but hopefully I'm wrong!

Last edited by Nadeemp8; 06-11-2019 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #183
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
got my mount today and installed it. when you are only holding the mount, yes it is flimsy and based upon first glance you'd think it would bend easily and/or be useless. once you mount it you will find it does not bend as a result of how it is mounted, just make sure you the little pin on the back of the radio is fully inserted into the hole of the mount. once it is and you screw everything together it mounts up solid with no gap that I could discern and pretty solid with little to no flex. only weak point I could see would be the circular magnetic piece that slips over the metal ball on the mount. this is all plastic and I am thinking with heat and compression it will fail/weaken to where it will not hold a heavier phone upright, but hopefully I'm wrong!
Any idea how big the ball is? Wonder if like a Ram mount could be attached to it instead.
      07-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #184
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Rennline. Best mount I’ve used to date. Solid, ideal location for visibility and I get my vents back.

Expensive but worth it in my book.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #185
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Rennline. Best mount I’ve used to date. Solid, ideal location for visibility and I get my vents back.

Expensive but worth it in my book.
I agree
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 06:04 PM   #186
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

If you decide to buy rennline do not buy directly from them, go to esc tuning or other sites.
It's the worst customer service I've seen, completely clueless. It's already day 11 since I received tracking info from DHL stating shipment is not yet picked up and there's no changes.

After bunch of emails asking to find out what's happening or to give me a refund so I can order it somewhere else all I keep getting is the same tracking link I already have and apologies. I'll wait few more days and request refund from Paypal directly, done talking to them.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #187
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I ordered this one the other day after looking for one for my wife's Macan. Will report back after install and use.

http://www.rennline.com/BMW-ExactFit...nfo/PM01%2E19/
Quote:
Just placed my order for this!
Mine is perfect fitment. Completely flush and no gap on the passenger side. You must have got a defective one because mine doesn't move or bend at all. I've been looking for one specifically made for our cars without sacrificing space. The rennline checks every box for me. Totally worth the money for a clean, sturdy mount that doesn't look out of place.

Edit: and yes I have the full leather dash. I saw others blaming fitment issues on this.
      08-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #188
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mine is perfect fitment. Completely flush and no gap on the passenger side. You must have got a defective one because mine doesn't move or bend at all. I've been looking for one specifically made for our cars without sacrificing space. The rennline checks every box for me. Totally worth the money for a clean, sturdy mount that doesn't look out of place.

Edit: and yes I have the full leather dash. I saw others blaming fitment issues on this.
We either have two kinds of Rennline mounts being sold or more likely there are differences between pre facelift and facelift radio\ac controller or dash itself. Assuming you have F80 pre facelift from your profile info and fitment was fine.

in my case (FL F82) mount was perfect fit in the back of the radio but couldn't avoid having a gap when everything was installed back into the dash. Two pictures show exactly where "high spot" of the mount was touching the leather making the gap. There's an imprint left and the only way getting around would be cutting it out or soften up dash/leather to give in for the extra material.

I made the other post hoping users will report if their fitment was right or wrong with model/year and if dash was full leather or not.
There has to be a pattern because I can't see improper installation even if the mount was slightly bent.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:11 AM   #189
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuna13 View Post
We either have two kinds of Rennline mounts being sold or more likely there are differences between pre facelift and facelift radio\ac controller or dash itself. Assuming you have F80 pre facelift from your profile info and fitment was fine.

in my case (FL F82) mount was perfect fit in the back of the radio but couldn't avoid having a gap when everything was installed back into the dash. Two pictures show exactly where "high spot" of the mount was touching the leather making the gap. There's an imprint left and the only way getting around would be cutting it out or soften up dash/leather to give in for the extra material.

I made the other post hoping users will report if their fitment was right or wrong with model/year and if dash was full leather or not.
There has to be a pattern because I can't see improper installation even if the mount was slightly bent.
I just went out and took some close-up pictures. Sorry it's kinda dark out so pictures are not great. But yea my M3 is a 2015 so pre-LCI. I did however find a TINY gap if I look at the perfect angle and only really up-close. It's the same size as the thickness of the metal (as you would expect). I marked it with the red arrow in the picture below. But my leather was not penetrated even close to how much yours was.
Attached Images

08-10-2019, 02:16 AM   #190
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just went out and took some close-up pictures. Sorry it's kinda dark out so pictures are not great. But yea my M3 is a 2015 so pre-LCI. I did however find a TINY gap if I look at the perfect angle and only really up-close. It's the same size as the thickness of the metal (as you would expect). I marked it with the red arrow in the picture below. But my leather was not penetrated even close to how much yours was.
That looks great.
In my case gap was huge and along the whole side, even the lower corner, visible from every angle. That's how I've seen little notch holding everything up (arrow pointing) I tightened it so hard there was even a small gap in between mount and radio as well. The whole thing was deforming because of the bottom piece digging into the leather from previous pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #191
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Wonder if one could take a Renn Mount and modify it, removing the magnet and putting this on it instead. (See video in link).

https://hippera.store/products/last-...29466539589702

Would add wireless charging. Cable could be hidden on Renn Mount. Also appears more secure grip.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #192
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Wonder if one could take a Renn Mount and modify it, removing the magnet and putting this on it instead. (See video in link).

Would add wireless charging. Cable could be hidden on Renn Mount. Also appears more secure grip.
Just need somebody to measure the mount ball's diameter.

If you have multiple phones like I do (and put both in mounts) you can use a lower trim shelf piece and mount some air vent/clip on mounts to it.

I use some Arkon 17mm (garmin size) ball joint adapters (1, 2) to extend the mount up and give me the angle I want with these cheap grip mounts. Works well for me, and holds up to track driving no problem.

You can see my mounts peeking up at the bottom of the pic. The only thing the phones block positioned there for me are the passenger temp dial and seeing the LED for whether the AC is on or not (but you can peek around). The whole setup (mounts, extender joints, shelf trim) was about $65.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 08-13-2019 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      08-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #193
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

Should work fine as long as it has the same size ball joint. I did a similar thing with my Rennline mount and this.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #194
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamgrewt View Post
Should work fine as long as it has the same size ball joint. I did a similar thing with my Rennline mount and this.
Based on the product page for that it has a 17mm ball, so the Rennline ball must also be 17mm.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #195
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

I have installed both an iOttie one-touch phone holder and a Chinese brand wireless Qi charger on the Rennline mount. Both fit perfectly.
      08-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #196
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Rennline + this wireless charging Amazon mount

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 2
jmg18657.00
      08-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #197
blackmamba30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Also highly recommend Rennline. Just got this today and installed it.

Took about 5-10 mins to install. Super easy and clean. Looks very OEM.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #198
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

The Rennline is the best you're going to get for a non obtrusive, OEM looking solution. Although it doesn't look like it was designed for the full leather dash, the leather is too thick for the bracket to fit flush.
Appreciate 1