Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

08-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, G05 X5

M235iR Wing Uprights on GTS?

I've searched around and have an email out to one of the suppliers but wanted to ask here whether anyone has installed the M235iR wing stands on their GTS?

Yes, i realize RKP has essentially created a duplicate of these but there's just *something* about having BMW Motorsports parts isn't there? Haha

My primary concern is around fitment, whether the distance between the "feet" bolts is the same on the M235iR stands as the GTS trunk, and perhaps whether the blade mounting is the same as well but from pictures they would appear to work.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Well. I have both of these cars, but they're in separate garages. I'm 99% certain the M235iR and M4 GTS wing element is the same, which would suggest that the spacing is the same. I'll be out at the garage with the M235iR tomorrow, if I remember I can measure them.

I'll have to see if I can view the underside of the wing mount on the trunk of the M235iR to see what the bolt spacing is like.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      08-25-2021, 08:44 PM   #3
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
The spacing on the wing stands are the exact same. It's all plug and play.

I just swapped to a set of Team Schirmer wing stands which is higher than oem but not as tall as RKP. Time for the M235IR CF endplates.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 11:06 PM   #4
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
Well. I have both of these cars, but they're in separate garages. I'm 99% certain the M235iR and M4 GTS wing element is the same, which would suggest that the spacing is the same. I'll be out at the garage with the M235iR tomorrow, if I remember I can measure them.

I'll have to see if I can view the underside of the wing mount on the trunk of the M235iR to see what the bolt spacing is like.
Much appreciated man! That's an awesome garage you've got. Btw I was able to get a vendor on chat and they said they will fit "per my VIN" so I'm not sure how accurate that is but I went with it and ordered them haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project M4GTS View Post
The spacing on the wing stands are the exact same. It's all plug and play.

I just swapped to a set of Team Schirmer wing stands which is higher than oem but not as tall as RKP. Time for the M235IR CF endplates.
Oh wow, I didn't even realize there were other options, I've never seen these before. I like that they are between OEM and RKP
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 06:48 AM   #5
coryf
Private
Rep

I have factory motorsport wing mounts and 240iR end plates (newer version) on the GTS. No issues.

Last edited by coryf; 08-26-2021 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

The OE M235ir uprights don't work on the GTS. The bolt diameter to attach them to the trunk is different. If I recall the GTS is a smaller bolt diameter than the M235ir.

Also, M235ir uprights do not have rubber grommets to seal the holes from the elements. I don't recall if the RKP ones do either though.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:30 AM   #7
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryf View Post
I have factory motorsport wing mounts and 240iR end plates (newer version) on the GTS. No issues.
Good to hear! Mine are on order, but I didn't realize there were 2 versions of the end plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
The OE M235ir uprights don't work on the GTS. The bolt diameter to attach them to the trunk is different. If I recall the GTS is a smaller bolt diameter than the M235ir.

Also, M235ir uprights do not have rubber grommets to seal the holes from the elements. I don't recall if the RKP ones do either though.
Hm, that would be a bummer. I've now seen conflicting reports so I suppose I'll see when they arrive. Perhaps a larger bolt could be used with the M235ir stands? I've also read that the seal goes underneath with them but I haven't seen it myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:52 AM   #8
coryf
Private
Rep

Theses are the endplates I have:

https://futureclassic.us/products/bm...-end-plate-set

Was a late 2019 update for the M240IR it seems.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:53 AM   #9
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveishi View Post
Quote:
Good to hear! Mine are on order, but I didn't realize there were 2 versions of the end plates?

Quote:

Hm, that would be a bummer. I've now seen conflicting reports so I suppose I'll see when they arrive. Perhaps a larger bolt could be used with the M235ir stands? I've also read that the seal goes underneath with them but I haven't seen it myself.
To get the bolt through the hole in the GTS trunk you need to make the hole in the trunk larger. If you want to do that you can use them but I'm not sure it's the right move.

Also, for clarification I have an oe M235ir wing on my e92 and RKP risers on my GTS. I know for a fact that are not cross compatible.
Appreciate 1
redrumm3417.00
      08-31-2021, 10:57 PM   #10
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

To get the bolt through the hole in the GTS trunk you need to make the hole in the trunk larger. If you want to do that you can use them but I'm not sure it's the right move.

Also, for clarification I have an oe M235ir wing on my e92 and RKP risers on my GTS. I know for a fact that are not cross compatible.
Quote:
Theses are the endplates I have:

https://futureclassic.us/products/bm...-end-plate-set

Was a late 2019 update for the M240IR it seems.
Oh wow I hadn't seen those before, very cool. Would be interested to see them on a GTS, have any pics?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Well shoot, that's a bummer. Yea I don't really want to enlarge the trunk holes, was hoping the different hardware might fit through. Ok back to square one
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #11
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting development- one of the vendors I reached out to got back and confirmed fitment and even provided a comparison picture of the mounting surfaces for OEM GTS stands vs the M245iR stands and upon visual it appears the bolt diameters are the same and will line up, maybe those inserts were to size down the hardware? I guess we'll see when they get here!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-08-2021, 06:23 AM   #12
coryf
Private
Rep

Pic of rear wing and uprights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #13
kryptokatalyst
Rep
Drives: '06 M3 6mt Slicktop,'16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Interesting development- one of the vendors I reached out to got back and confirmed fitment and even provided a comparison picture of the mounting surfaces for OEM GTS stands vs the M245iR stands and upon visual it appears the bolt diameters are the same and will line up, maybe those inserts were to size down the hardware? I guess we'll see when they get here!
Can you provide some more information? Which vendor? What is the part number for the BMW Motorsport stands?

I have the following 235iR/240iR stands and the holes are definitely too large. According to RealOEM.com they are M8, vs the GTS M6 size.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs701.00
      09-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #14
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptokatalyst View Post
Can you provide some more information? Which vendor? What is the part number for the BMW Motorsport stands?

I have the following 235iR/240iR stands and the holes are definitely too large. According to RealOEM.com they are M8, vs the GTS M6 size.

Thanks.
Those are the same part numbers. Both ECS and APMotorsport UK (see picture above) said they would work. Just crossing my fingers
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #15
kryptokatalyst
Rep

Quote:
Those are the same part numbers. Both ECS and APMotorsport UK (see picture above) said they would work. Just crossing my fingers
Thanks for the quick reply. I went to install the 235iR uprights today and the GTS M6x1 bolt is definitely too small for them. I have some M8x1.25 bolts lying around and they threaded right into the 235iR uprights. Interestingly, in the picture you posted both uprights are silver. All the 235iR uprights I've seen with the new part numbers are black.

Also of interest, the listing on AP Motorsports website for the wing kit lists the 4 - M8x1.25 bolts (41008421771) that are listed on RealOEM.com.
https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/produ...cing-rear-wing
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2721

I may just install some M8x1.25 to M6x1 thread reducers with some read Loctite.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254254855623

I'm interested to see what you receive. Do you have an estimated delivery date?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #16
kryptokatalyst
Rep

Quote:
Pic of rear wing and uprights.
Could you post a picture of the part numbers on your wing uprights? Also, where did you purchase them?

Mine have the new part number vertically, and an old part number horizontally that is X'ed out. Like this:
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 09:44 PM   #17
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I went to install the 235iR uprights today and the GTS M6x1 bolt is definitely too small for them. I have some M8x1.25 bolts lying around and they threaded right into the 235iR uprights. Interestingly, in the picture you posted both uprights are silver. All the 235iR uprights I've seen with the new part numbers are black.

Also of interest, the listing on AP Motorsports website for the wing kit lists the 4 - M8x1.25 bolts (41008421771) that are listed on RealOEM.com.
https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/produ...cing-rear-wing
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2721

I may just install some M8x1.25 to M6x1 thread reducers with some read Loctite.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254254855623

I'm interested to see what you receive. Do you have an estimated delivery date?
No problem. It looks like they're not in stock so the estimated delivery isn't until 9/30 - 10/4 and I placed the order on 8/25.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 12:06 AM   #18
kryptokatalyst
Rep

I went ahead and mounted mine today using the larger M8 bolts. After thinking more about it, the bolts are going to have a fair amount more force on them. First, longer uprights and secondly, the wing plane is further behind the lower mounting point.

I also found that the only part which needed to be drilled out was the 4 aluminum bushings, which have enough material and can be very easily replaced to return to stock. Here is bushing for reference:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2598

Size differences:

OEM Bushings:

Bushings after drilling:

Fully mounted:

Last edited by kryptokatalyst; 09-22-2021 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Updated info w/photos
Appreciate 1
Gomeler500.00
      09-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #19
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went ahead and mounted mine today using the larger M8 bolts. After thinking more about it, the bolts are going to have a fair amount more force on them. First, longer uprights and secondly, the wing plane is further behind the lower mounting point.

I also found that the only part which needed to be drilled out was the 4 aluminum bushings, which have enough material and can be very easily replaced to return to stock. Here is bushing for reference:
Thanks for posting all of these pictures and the information. I'm now expecting mine to arrive just as your shows with the larger M8 holes, but my order from Turner has been delayed again -_- so I'll have to wait to see. However I'll likely drill the bushings as you did to fit the larger hardware since it looks like they can be easily swapped for new ones to put back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:34 PM   #20
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Fall-Line Motorsports High Mount Wing sets are another great option available!

Since endplates were mentioned as well, we offer them in carbon fiber and the raw BMW finishes.
      10-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #21
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just a quick update from my side since some were curious as to what mine would look like/bolt size is when they arrived.

I actually ended up cancelling my order as I saw the GT4 risers that IND sells and prefer the look of those (even though they aren't actual BMW Motorsports parts...). Just patiently waiting for them to be painted and shipped- went with Satin Black and I was told they will go out end of this week.

Sorry I will no longer be able to report on the BMWM ones
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #22
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Just a quick update from my side since some were curious as to what mine would look like/bolt size is when they arrived.

I actually ended up cancelling my order as I saw the GT4 risers that IND sells and prefer the look of those (even though they aren't actual BMW Motorsports parts...). Just patiently waiting for them to be painted and shipped- went with Satin Black and I was told they will go out end of this week.

Sorry I will no longer be able to report on the BMWM ones
I believe your RKP M4 GT4 High Wing Mount Set shipped out yesterday