BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-23-2022, 06:29 PM   #1
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Vtt engine mount plates

Anyone running these? How bad is nvh? Did you have your idle raised through tune? Time has come to do engine mounts and wondering if this is too harsh or not. Otherwise I'll just stick to fresh oem.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Solid engine mounts??? I would say race only, and bet the NVH is terrible. My pick would be stockers from FCP.
      01-23-2022, 07:36 PM   #3
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Solid engine mounts??? I would say race only, and bet the NVH is terrible. My pick would be stockers from FCP.
They're not solid, just a plate that takes up the "void" and limits deflection on the oem mounts, In turn artificially increasing the durometer in a sense.
I hear they're less harsh than poly mounts but there's not a lot of info out there. I know there's some high power guys here and wanted to see if anyone had experience with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 08:03 PM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post
Quote:
They're not solid, just a plate that takes up the "void" and limits deflection on the oem mounts, In turn artificially increasing the durometer in a sense.
I hear they're less harsh than poly mounts but there's not a lot of info out there. I know there's some high power guys here and wanted to see if anyone had experience with them.
I personally stay away from anything from Vargas. I had such a bad experience with a purchase and hostile return that I've stayed away. The only thing I would take is their crank bolt capture plate, but now I've found another manufacturer for that as well.
bmwbrad22249.00
      01-23-2022, 08:09 PM   #5
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I personally stay away from anything from Vargas. I had such a bad experience with a purchase and hostile return that I've stayed away. The only thing I would take is their crank bolt capture plate, but now I've found another manufacturer for that as well.
I totally get that, bimmerworld also makes these plates, they're basically an aftermarket version of what bmw created
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:31 PM   #6
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I totally get that, bimmerworld also makes these plates, they're basically an aftermarket version of what bmw created
Seems like idle will need to be raised to combat NVH.

I'm also wondering if there is excessive NVH when the AC turned on.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 09:03 AM   #7
nochillm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

I recently installed these to help with drivetrain movement on my 6MT and they made noticeable improvement over just the Rogue transmission mounts. The Rogue mounts were more impactful and added 0 NVH. But, back to the VTT inserts....Stock idle vibrations were bad, bumped it to 900RPM and it improved significantly. AC/Max AC added a negligible amount of vibration at 900RPM and I didn't test it at stock idle but I imagine it would be pretty terrible.

This is subjective, of course, but I would rate the vibration increase as follows:
+0 Stock
+0 VTT | Driving over 1000RPM | AC off
+2 VTT | 900 RPM Idle | AC off
+2.1 VTT | 900 RPM Idle | AC On (Max AC had no additional impact)
+8 VTT | Stock Idle | AC off | Idle after first drive
+10 VTT | Stock Idle | AC off | Idle before first drive

In short, at stock idle, I would have removed them.
Appreciate 3
hellokitty2894.00
TopJimmy5449.50
      01-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #8
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochillm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

I recently installed these to help with drivetrain movement on my 6MT and they made noticeable improvement over just the Rogue transmission mounts. The Rogue mounts were more impactful and added 0 NVH. But, back to the VTT inserts....Stock idle vibrations were bad, bumped it to 900RPM and it improved significantly. AC/Max AC added a negligible amount of vibration at 900RPM and I didn't test it at stock idle but I imagine it would be pretty terrible.

This is subjective, of course, but I would rate the vibration increase as follows:
+0 Stock
+0 VTT | Driving over 1000RPM | AC off
+2 VTT | 900 RPM Idle | AC off
+2.1 VTT | 900 RPM Idle | AC On (Max AC had no additional impact)
+8 VTT | Stock Idle | AC off | Idle after first drive
+10 VTT | Stock Idle | AC off | Idle before first drive

In short, at stock idle, I would have removed them.
Sounds exactly like my experience with poly motor mounts on my previous cars… lots of downsides here unfortunately but at least you can raise the stock idle to combat NVH.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 05:52 PM   #9
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Hmmm that's basically what one n54 guy said, said his poly was far worse and pretty rough through the rev range, which is dependent on durometer obviously, as my e36 was on 95a and wasn't bad whatsoever.

So this seems once you get passed the idle situation you get the benefits. Hmmm I'm glad to see someone chime in on these, there's just such limited info
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 06:27 PM   #10
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Anyone running these? How bad is nvh? Did you have your idle raised through tune? Time has come to do engine mounts and wondering if this is too harsh or not. Otherwise I'll just stick to fresh oem.
We installed a set and customer came back for uninstall the next day.

This really isn't a DD type of mod, but more for bulletproofing for higher power levels.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #11
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:
We installed a set and customer came back for uninstall the next day.

This really isn't a DD type of mod, but more for bulletproofing for higher power levels.
Ya that's what I'm afraid of, was the idle raised or stock idle?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 07:30 PM   #12
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Stock idle, but doesn't matter. They're a direct copy of the BMW Motorsport inserts as seen in the exploded view here.

Nearly all the insulating properties are lost by installing the inserts, at the cost of having a stronger engine mount. Not needed for street vehicles, unless you want the to shake the fillings out of your teeth.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5449.50
      01-26-2022, 10:43 PM   #13
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:
Stock idle, but doesn't matter. They're a direct copy of the BMW Motorsport inserts as seen in the exploded view here.

Nearly all the insulating properties are lost by installing the inserts, at the cost of having a stronger engine mount. Not needed for street vehicles, unless you want the to shake the fillings out of your teeth.

That solves my curiosity
I appreciate it
Appreciate 0