Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

06-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #45
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

So sorry to hear that about your car and the support after the fact. I would just not be posting stuff about racing an M6 with 250 miles on the clock. Just in case there is a warranty issue.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=3
      06-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #46
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

That's shocking service OP , you shouldn't expect a new car to break down and if it does BMW should move heaven and earth to assist you not make the situation even more frustrating.

I pick mine up from the UK on Friday and am driving it back home to Germany. It had better last longer than 400 miles as it would be a nightmare breaking down in Belgium, Holland or France........
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #47
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

I remember the OP mentioning he didn't like his local Mercedes-Benz dealership or MB customer service for some reason. And now this. Terrible luck man. Definitely sours your impression of a new car, irrespective of brand.

Nonetheless, best of luck getting it resolved. To lighten the mood, there's always Lexus!

In all seriousness, while my "wait times" with BMW were always lengthier (my 2nd to last BMW was a lemon), both my dealer and BMWNA always stepped up to resolve any issues that I was having. Despite my past issues, I bought another BMW with confidence and it was flawless.

At the end of the day, so long as you are polite (but still firm) and very detailed, BMWNA will do its best to make you forget about that horrific experience.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #48
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

OP, I feel for you. This is terrible.

I said it before and I'll say it again: this is exactly why I never buy first year production.

Of course, somebody has to. I realize that. Otherwise, the bugs wouldn't get sorted out. I always hear people argue for or against it. The bottom line is that BMW M has a history with first and second year production models having the most issues. Rod bearing recall on the e46 M3 is the probably the most memorable.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #49
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

damn sorry to hear that! AAA has always been the best for roadside assistance. Interested to hear about the car...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #50
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I wonder if it's a subframe bushing or something.
Those are no longer present!
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #51
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Those are no longer present!
Ah ok! Well there went that hypothesis.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #52
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

My guess is this is DCT related. Why? There was no warning, no smoke, no symptoms. And it sounds like the car would start but not go into gear (i.e. it won't go into gear when not on anyway)

It's all machines so something can happen at anytime and I don't mean to make this into something more than it is. But there's a difference between a failed clutch and a computer saying "no" to going into gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #53
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

I would like to make a general reply to everyone who had questions and to those who were wondering why I waited on hold for 1 1/2 hours...

It is a very lengthy story and I have told this a lot already in the past 24 hours.. I typed the initial thread off my ipad and was running late for a meeting.

The sos system was frozen and no one ever picked up...
While it was frozen, I called manually after about 35 min. It took a total of 1 1/2 to 2 hours for the system to hang up. I could not turn their hold music off or down via volume so it was driving me crazy.

Second, I don't need to explain my personal family info to any of you because this is a car forum. I am reporting about a problem with my car.. It could not be cured with a simple turn off lock the car let sit and start again. It was stuck in gear, nothing I tried worked..

Third, I was at the mercy of BMW roadside and they were all playing games with me these two young pricks Justin and Jacob... I spoke to Megan their supervisor and she disconnected me twice and never called back and offered to do nothing.. after all the hold times, games, cancelations, it was getting late. A tow company came unprepared without the right equipment and blamed it on bmw for not informing them I had a low to the ground car.

By the time it got late and I actually got to a more higher up supervisor by the name of Pete, he said he would be the only one I would be speaking with. For others that commented here about the food and water comment, My wife is pregnant. By the time a family member was able to get to us with water and transport in our location we were stuck in, they provided me their AAA card and that is when I called. It's not like I had an AAA card the entire time and played stupid...

Pete the bmw road side supervisor said at 1:35am that there was nothing more he could do and every tow company was turning him down for us to either call the police or spend the night there as we should not leave that car on the side of the highway...

AAA got someone out 30 min after that at approx. 2ish. The tow guy does a lot of BMW and knew exactly how to handle my car.. My car has 400 mi on it:

I can tell you our situation was horrible and wish my wife was not with me because she should not had to dealt with that.

BMW failed me big time, My car should not have broken like this being so new.. BMW roadside should never have let it get that out of hand and at the end, they still provided no resolution even with a supervisor on the case. They said this is a huge deal that we failed at this, I am trying to escalate the issue, we will see what happens and if they offer anything at all.

Here is a pic of my car taken in the AM right before it was about to be loaded.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #54
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep

***CAR UPDATE***

wanted to respond separately to the status of my M4.

NEW transfer case
May need other parts as well since it is still being looked at. Now I get to wait until BMW gives my service shop authorization to order said parts and this could be awhile...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #55
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondula View Post
***CAR UPDATE***

NEW transfer case
May need other parts as well since it is still being looked at. Now I get to wait until BMW gives my service shop authorization to order said parts and this could be awhile...
Damn that sucks don.

I'm just wondering if you feel like too much tech can potentially be a bad thing. I have felt that way ever since SMG debuted.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #56
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I hope your wife is OK and you car will get fixed soon.
      06-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #57
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
***CAR UPDATE***

NEW transfer case
1. Really sorry this happened to you.
2. Glad you are getting it sorted out.
3. Every member on here should be grateful that you reported this issue. Bimmerpost is a fantastic source of troubleshooting and is a great database as the car comes along in its model cycle. It is probably not the best idea to shoot every person who offers their mechanical issues with the car. I don't blame you for being made at Some of the yahoos on here who doubted you.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #58
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Don,

Serious question - were you told the TRANSFER CASE needed to be replaced?

What am I missing here guys?

P.s. Your story sucks on so many levels. Sorry you had to experience that mate. My wife is 25 weeks pregnant and not good in sticky situations. And she's not all aboard the m3 train. I'm pretty sure my head would have exploded if I had experienced what you did.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #59
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
***CAR UPDATE***

NEW transfer case
good luck. I think we all agree the situation sucks. one or two people who question, that's always gonna happen. who cares what they think, no need to let them get to you and cause you to get even more aggravated.
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #60
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Transfer case? I'm no expert on the DCT's internals but I thought the term "Transfer case" is mainly used for the AWD coupling between the front and rear axles?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #61
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the supportive comments, It means a lot.

stupid comments are to always be expected on public forums, but not to the extent accusing me that I would make all this up and to make fun of my wife and I in our situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #62
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep

New transfer case for sure, that is all they said. Transfer case sound expensive and he said its a big ticket item being they have to send all this diagnostic info of my car to BMW

they are waiting to have a tech on the car longer to look for further possible problems.. Service rep said he would know more Monday.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #63
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
New transfer case for sure, they are waiting to have a tech on the car longer to look for further possible problems.. Service rep said he would know more Monday.
I'm still confused over where this transfer case is located. Is it the LSD that is broken or is it the DCT? I've heard that BMW do not repair DCTs, they replace the whole unit if broken. Maybe that's a wife's tale.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #64
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm still confused over where this transfer case is located. Is it the LSD that is broken or is it the DCT? I've heard that BMW do not repair DCTs, they replace the whole unit if broken. Maybe that's a wife's tale.
They will usually replace it (..to the tune of +/- $13k).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #65
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Hopefully it is something that is fixed via software update. One day, these software update will come down over-the-air like smartphones or game consoles.
      06-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #66
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Hopefully it is something that is fixed via software update. One day, these software update will come down over-the-air like smartphones or game consoles.

No problem Sir.

His update reveals that it's much more serious than a software issue. BMW is replacing the transfer case, but we're still trying to get clarification on whether that's referring to the rear diff/LSD or the transmission itself. I remember SMG II had issues too (..limp mode, not going into gear, etc.).
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread