proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Tintking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP AY convertible

Who loves their DCT? And 6MT owners have you tried it?

Just wondered if you love the DCT as much as I do? Manual owners did you ever try the DCT before going manual and if so, was it more than a 10 minute test drive? I had a 2007 Z06 with manual (only option) and I did a lengthy test drive in a manual M4 and liked it, especially the rev-matching (some people don’t like this?? ) . But for many reasons I think the DCT is awesome. My first car with it was my 135. Then my 2011 335is. Spent 6 years and 60K miles ripping off split second upshifts and downshifts without a problem. Well, there was one problem when the 335is developed a really bad shake/shudder under hard acceleration and my BMW dealer told me I had metal in my transmission fluid and I needed a new transmission...and it would cost $14,000!!! Fortunately they were completely wrong and after getting a few other opinions from independent shops I finally replaced my driveshaft and rear bushings and good as new...

I love the flexibility of selecting how aggressive you want the drive setting, how fast you want the shifts, and easily switching between manual and auto modes depending on however I feel at the moment. I like being able drive my commute with my EggMcMuffin in one hand and my coffee in the other and not worry about grabbing the next gear.

But most of all, when the mood strikes ( which is very often), I love the sublime feeling of being catapulted forward by 444 angry horses mixed with momentary loss of traction as the DCT kicks off instantaneous shifts into my backside.

I’m 50... but I feel a lot younger when I’m driving.
Appreciate 2
lukej387.00
      12-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
Buckeye///M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

Have always had manuals and never thought I would have a car without one. Drove the DCT and loved it. Still adjusting to it on the track, but so far, I don’t miss the manual transmission at all! There is no way anyone can shift so quickly.
Appreciate 2
espho169.00
lukej387.00
      12-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

i got the DCT for my wife. I’ve always loved manuals, but to be honest, I love the DCT. I’ve also had a 911 with a PDK and loved that too. Both are great transmissions that can be reasonably engaging, and the full throttle upshift is just hard to beat.

And as proof that I just haven’t gotten soft, I also had a DSG S4 a while ago, and I thought it was lifeless. It felt more like a slushbox auto. So BMW (and Porsche) are doing it right.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

i got the DCT for my wife. I’ve always loved manuals, but to be honest, I love the DCT. I’ve also had a 911 with a PDK and loved that too. Both are great transmissions that can be reasonably engaging, and the full throttle upshift is just hard to beat.

And as proof that I just haven’t gotten soft, I also had a DSG S4 a while ago, and I thought it was lifeless. It felt more like a slushbox auto. So BMW (and Porsche) are doing it right.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintking View Post
Just wondered if you love the DCT as much as I do? Manual owners did you ever try the DCT before going manual and if so, was it more than a 10 minute test drive? I had a 2007 Z06 with manual (only option) and I did a lengthy test drive in a manual M4 and liked it, especially the rev-matching (some people don’t like this?? ) . But for many reasons I think the DCT is awesome. My first car with it was my 135. Then my 2011 335is. Spent 6 years and 60K miles ripping off split second upshifts and downshifts without a problem. Well, there was one problem when the 335is developed a really bad shake/shudder under hard acceleration and my BMW dealer told me I had metal in my transmission fluid and I needed a new transmission...and it would cost $14,000!!! Fortunately they were completely wrong and after getting a few other opinions from independent shops I finally replaced my driveshaft and rear bushings and good as new...

I love the flexibility of selecting how aggressive you want the drive setting, how fast you want the shifts, and easily switching between manual and auto modes depending on however I feel at the moment. I like being able drive my commute with my EggMcMuffin in one hand and my coffee in the other and not worry about grabbing the next gear.

But most of all, when the mood strikes ( which is very often), I love the sublime feeling of being catapulted forward by 444 angry horses mixed with momentary loss of traction as the DCT kicks off instantaneous shifts into my backside.

I’m 50... but I feel a lot younger when I’m driving.
I like the constant pull of the DCT; I have a 6 MT...

This conversation never gets old...

I like the mechanicalness of selecting gears...

When I imagine being a race car driver (lol) it's always an image of me selecting gears not working a paddle shifter...

If I had an M5 or SUV then yeah DCT

I like auto shift on SportBikes...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
When I imagine being a race car driver (lol) it's always an image of me selecting gears not working a paddle shifter...
Ironically, there are very few race cars left with an H-pattern stick shift .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
zamboni1130.50
      12-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Obviously on a track a DCT is better. There's no way a human can shift faster than a computer controlled DCT. I had a NSX with the DCT and the upshifts were lightening fast, and the power kept pulling through the gears. Most of everything in the NSX was computer controlled and there was very little user programable modes unlike the BMW M cars.

I did a few test drives with the M3 Comp/Non-Comp and didn't like the DCT. I then did a few 6spd test drives and knew that the manual was the right choice. My decision was also based on the type of driving that I do mostly, and the fact that the car just felt better with the manual. The extra few 100th's of seconds that the DCT is faster in the M doesn't really matter when I doing mostly stop and go driving on my 10mi commute.
zamboni1130.50
      12-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #8
M3 MT
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I can’t live without MT
Appreciate 4
zamboni1130.50
NickyC17484.50
Kilabyte3948.00
      12-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #9
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

My first F80 was a 6MT. I drove a DCT while hunting and decided I didn't like it at the time because I didn't have the opportunity to put it through its paces. Spent 7 months with the car and loved every second of it except for the shifter feel, especially at WOT.

Just picked up my second F80 about a month ago - its DCT. I really, really like the DCT option in this car and I have to say after having a 6 speed, to me, the DCT fits the character of the car better. I think the attitude of the car changes tremendously and it becomes more of the envelope pushing sports sedan it is meant to be. I drive in a mix of auto and manual (probably 40/60) and do not miss the third pedal yet. I also have to say I do not miss the turbo lag when in between shifts at WOT...the DCT just pulls and pulls.

I bought the DCT since all of the new M cars are switching to ZF boxes. I've always had MT cars and wanted to try a true DCT while I still could under warranty.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to contribute to the childish DCT is better than 6MT (or vice versa) debate this forum is plagued with. Just wanted to share my honest thoughts.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1130.50
      12-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
Laostuh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Manual transmission is no fun in bumper to bumper traffic. The constant shifting back and forth... DCT was a preferred option for me although I was also open to an M/T I guess you can say I preferred DCT.
Appreciate 1
lukej387.00
      12-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #11
Ducguy46
CLTMCarGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M Roadster, Z4M Coupe, M3G80

Garage List
I've always had manual cars and learned to drive that way. I own a 2008 Z4 M Coupe and a 2002 Z3 M Roadster and can't image driving those cars as automatics. I test drove a manual M3 and then a DCT and decided to buy the DCT. I have zero regrets. Maybe because I still have other manual cars but I truly enjoy the DCT as my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #12
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

I drove my son's DCT and on one hand was quite impressed with its seamlessness. It shifts far faster than I ever could, of course. On the other hand, I still prefer the additional driver engagement that a manual provides, especially rev matching myself rather than having the software do it for me. Manual for life for me, even in traffic. Not only on my F83 but on my 2nd Gen Xterra DD.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #13
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

I didn’t try DCT in the F80, but I’ve ridden in one as well as a GT3 RS so I know that they’re lightning fast. That said, I got my car specifically to get back into a MT before they all disappear because I missed the engagement of driving one. And I like being able to choose the gear/RPM I want to be in given the road, traffic etc.

The modern DCTs and ZF8 autos are very capable but I do find myself annoyed when you’re on the bubble for an up or downshift.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #14
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Dct has the best of both worlds for me. I used to be a die hard manual had a jetta, Acura then 350z. The m4 is my first dct and I'm sold, could not be happier
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Absolutely MT for daily driving, DCT/PDK/Flappy anything that will stay in selected gear for track.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1130.50
      12-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #16
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BSM F82

I have a DCT and love the feeling of the instantaneous shifting on hard pulls. It’s also a lot more engaging than some people make it out to be - while not fully a manual it’s also not a traditional auto either...

I’ve had a handful of manuals in the past and would like to have a manual sports car as a second car in the future, but as a DD in stop and go traffic I think the DCT is for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #17
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Obviously on a track a DCT is better.
There's no doubt it's faster, but "better" is depending on what you're after on a track. Performance driving to me is not about speed per se, but about simultaneous problem solving (traffic; grip; line; feedback indicating happiness of tires, brakes, etc.). Having the car do more things for me, and thereby taking some of those problems out of my hands, is anathema to what I'm after. For pro race series, taking as much away from the potentially fallible human pilot is desirable with all the money on the line, but for HPDEs and whatnot, like you later said, the few tenths don't matter, especially if being a bit slower also continues to teach me how to react to needing to do more things at once. Winning the HPDE isn't really a priority.

Some people are after the ultimate lap time or want to concentrate on their placement of the car with less distraction, and they're free to spend their money however they wish, of course. For me, though, shaving time off of laps that include multiple instances where one has to simultaneously and smoothly operate more controls than one has limbs is more personally meaningful.

Tl;dr: some want to be fast; I'd rather be busy.
DocL1930.00
icebiker505.50
M 4 FUN606.00
      12-29-2019, 09:54 PM   #18
Tintking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP AY convertible

I appreciate everyone’s replies and I know a number have mentioned the DCT is faster. I just want to say, for myself, the reason to have a DCT has nothing to do with a faster lap time. If you are a serious track guy and spend many days at the track than that could be a reason. I did 5 track days this past year and they were a blast! However, the other 99% of my driving is way more important and I love it for all the reasons I mentioned. If you love the connection and engagement you get from a manual, then don’t get a DCT just so you can tell people it’s faster on a track!

Drive what you love...but if you’re smart, you’ll get the DCT!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #19
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

With the exception of an EV I leased for 3 years I've driven nothing but manual cars for about 25 years. Even in traffic is so natural for me that it's no inconvenience. I drove a few DCT cars but simply didn't like them. Then I drove an M3 with three DCT and the combination suddenly made sense. Something about the power and higher revving nature of the M3 made it a perfect fit while it simply didn't feel right to me in the 135i and 335iS I'd driven before.

After that experience I decided that my M4 would be a DCT. It works for me day-to day and of course is faster on track as well. As long as I have another traditional manual car to get my fix when I want it I'm very happy with the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 12:59 AM   #20
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Manual. If I wanted dct I would have kept my gtr.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1130.50
      12-30-2019, 01:23 AM   #21
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

I was so hoping to like the DCT when I was on the market for my M4. There were so many available and I could have gotten a huge discount by choosing something that was already in inventory. But I couldn't take it. To me it felt just like a really good automatic. So even though I was hoping the DCT would be a substitute for a MT or at least as engaging, it wasn't. So I ordered my M4 with a MT and patiently waited the 4 months for delivery.
2011zx10R427.00
      12-30-2019, 03:31 AM   #22
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
I was so hoping to like the DCT when I was on the market for my M4. There were so many available and I could have gotten a huge discount by choosing something that was already in inventory. But I couldn't take it. To me it felt just like a really good automatic. So even though I was hoping the DCT would be a substitute for a MT or at least as engaging, it wasn't. So I ordered my M4 with a MT and patiently waited the 4 months for delivery.
I took what must have been an order cancellation off the lot because it was one of the only MTs in the area and was spec’d similar to what I wanted other than color, which wasn’t my top choice, but was in the top 2-3. You’re more patient than I ;-)
Appreciate 0