proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #67
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Insane brother just insane!!!

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #68
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Any news?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #69
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Numbers look great!

Mike
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Insane brother just insane!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLOimJ View Post
Any news?
Yep, new thread coming up on some findings with DCT.
Appreciate 1
Acree377.50
      08-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #70
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Yep, new thread coming up on some findings with DCT.
Now stop making me wait to be a beta tester

Past
03 MB E55 AMG, 16 Grigio Medio F80 M3, 11 E92 M3, 13 BRZ, 06 Evo IX, 05 350Z
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #71
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Will they offer different tunes for daily driving? One that is slightly more powerful than stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #72
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
Now stop making me wait to be a beta tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Will they offer different tunes for daily driving? One that is slightly more powerful than stock.
There will be a couple different OTS maps you can choose to run.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #73
Skasol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

This is pretty cool. How do we get anymore info or ETA?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #74
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skasol View Post
This is pretty cool. How do we get anymore info or ETA?
Feel free to email us any other questions at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #75
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Feel free to email us any other questions at all.
Check your PMs please, sir.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #76
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Sorry if this a dumb question but why to stack with JB4 like M4HCP did? What can JB4 do additionally that the tune cannot? I was thinking of switching JB4 with bm3 as soon as it's out. But depending on the answer I may keep it as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #77
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Check your PMs please, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOZKAN View Post
Sorry if this a dumb question but why to stack with JB4 like M4HCP did? What can JB4 do additionally that the tune cannot? I was thinking of switching JB4 with bm3 as soon as it's out. But depending on the answer I may keep it as well.
We will not make you sell your JB4 In short, JB4 is/will not be required with bootmod3 and you can run the two in tandem where you use the JB to move your boost around using the steering wheel. Lots of people like that feature as it gives them a convenience control feature over boost. At the same time when the flash tune is set for a given octane and modifications all you need is control over your foot hammering the throttle Different modes and gears also can be set for different boost levels right in the flash but it'd require some custom tuning know-how and it isn't as easy or convenient to do as it is with the JB and its mobile app.

Flashing with bootmod3 calibrates the engine computer the way factory intended. Everything form fueling, ignition timing, boost/load targets, valvetronic, exhaust flap settings, overrun (burble/sound tuning), cold start, various limits for torque levels, etc you name it are adjustable in the flash. Piggybacks don't have the ability to program the DME but they can influence the systems in realtime externally and play a convenience role as a secondary system for boost mapping, meth control, secondary port fuel injection control, etc for many.

In our neck of the woods we like to call flashes front-end flashes and piggybacks backend controllers given where/what control is possible with each, not the other way around, but that nomenclature is up for debate LOL
Appreciate 2
CAOZKAN98.00
FSociety3811.50
      08-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #78
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I see zero need to add a JB4 and personally won't go that route.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #79
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
I really really hope one of the OTS maps you guys include is focused primarily on improving the engine dynamics (e.g. linear throttle response, reduction of turbo lag, throttle plate that actually fully opens, no dropping/plateauing of power before redline etc.) without much overall HP boost (less than ~50hp extra would be ideal). In my experience, dramatically increasing HP without first increasing mechanical grip and braking ability is not that useful. To each their own of course.

Importantly, this "dynamics" OTS map, would be ideal if it didn't increase peak boost pressure over OEM. Higher peak boost pressures take more time to reach and thus increase turbo lag. So, although many people would hate this, a map with lower peak boost that maintains near-stock HP (via ECU timings or whatever) would be worthwhile IMO. I'm not sure if that is technically feasible though.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #80
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
I really really hope one of the OTS maps you guys include is focused primarily on improving the engine dynamics (e.g. linear throttle response, reduction of turbo lag, throttle plate that actually fully opens, no dropping/plateauing of power before redline etc.) without much overall HP boost (less than ~50hp extra would be ideal). In my experience, dramatically increasing HP without first increasing mechanical grip and braking ability is not that useful. To each their own of course.

Importantly, this "dynamics" OTS map, would be ideal if it didn't increase peak boost pressure over OEM. Higher peak boost pressures take more time to reach and thus increase turbo lag. So, although many people would hate this, a map with lower peak boost that maintains near-stock HP (via ECU timings or whatever) would be worthwhile IMO. I'm not sure if that is technically feasible though.
I believe you are describing their OTS road race map as far as power delivery. Not sure about stock boost though.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #81
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post

Initial mapping we had in place for Stage 1 is exactly what you're describing. It does boost higher than stock but spool-up time isn't affected. You reach say 15psi on Stage 1 the same way you do with the stock map, boost control is identical, just our Stage 1 goes higher to provide more midrange which you can put down at the road course. Its a really nice linear mapping and we think its perfect for road course duty. Our local beta car here (@farbmw) has been to the Canadian Motorsports Park and both him and instructors had great things to say about the tune that was on the car at that time. It was putting down quite a bit less torque than our last Stage 1 revision which we're referring to a street map. Its quite a bit more torquey and great for street duty/fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I believe you are describing their OTS road race map as far as power delivery. Not sure about stock boost though.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      08-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #82
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Initial mapping we had in place for Stage 1 is exactly what you're describing. It does boost higher than stock but spool-up time isn't affected. You reach say 15psi on Stage 1 the same way you do with the stock map, boost control is identical, just our Stage 1 goes higher to provide more midrange which you can put down at the road course. Its a really nice linear mapping and we think its perfect for road course duty. Our local beta car here (@farbmw) has been to the Canadian Motorsports Park and both him and instructors had great things to say about the tune that was on the car at that time. It was putting down quite a bit less torque than our last Stage 1 revision which we're referring to a street map. Its quite a bit more torquey and great for street duty/fun.

Indeed, that road course map sounds pretty ideal. Most notably, the linear power output.

Have you guys been able to achieve something similar to this (991.2, also a 3.0L twin-turbo):

This appears to be the holy grail of FI-engine linearity. It's effin beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #83
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
proTUNING Freaks For those with JB4 currently is there an advantage or disadvantage of using it of a stack ?
Currently the advantage is the boost control of course and map switching on the fly via bluetooth.
But there's also some disadvantage where was the JB4 needs more Boost when run as Backend than say a Full Flash tune car to put out the same power.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #84
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

My take on the JB is this. You get yourself the most power you can with a flash only and then see where you sit. At that point see what you get with a JB on top if you like maybe to run low boost but at the same time map switch is like a minute or so. Why switch maps though unless your mods or octane changes just makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #85
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
proTUNING Freaks For those with JB4 currently is there an advantage or disadvantage of using it of a stack ?
Currently the advantage is the boost control of course and map switching on the fly via bluetooth.
But there's also some disadvantage where was the JB4 needs more Boost when run as Backend than say a Full Flash tune car to put out the same power.
No particular advantage or disadvantage really. We recommend getting as much done in the flash and then seeing if there's something you can't do with the DME on its own and from there see what auxiliary/secondary system you need.

What boost you 'can' run is a function of octane and hardware on the car. Boost though is just one part of the equation. You have to ensure ignition timing and fuel are on appropriately set for a given boost profile that ensures the most power without significant knock (i.e. reliable power that keeps your car out of the shop and away from potentially very expensive repairs).

One disadvantage might be, not sure you can call it that really, is you need to be in map 0 on the JB4 (or any piggyback using the diagnostic bus in the car) to use bootmod3's diagnostic and logging features. These features are something we're working on expanding constantly and there are plans there for quite a bit more than datalogging and the live dash that we already have in beta.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      08-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #86
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Will I need to send my ecu in or how will it work? I live in Europe.
Sorry if it was explained allready.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #87
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
Will I need to send my ecu in or how will it work? I live in Europe.
Sorry if it was explained allready.
Not sure where in Europe you are but we've received quite a bit of feedback from shops in Europe in regards to bootmod3. Halim who's part of PTF is in Denmark. You should be set.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #88
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Not sure where in Europe you are but we've received quite a bit of feedback from shops in Europe in regards to bootmod3. Halim who's part of PTF is in Denmark. You should be set.
I am in Croatia. Do you know the estimeated price please in pm?

I am allways sceptical in sending my ecu if the transport company losses it or gets damaged in transport I would go crazy.
Appreciate 0