European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #5391
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]

Welcome to Suzuka. E92 shown here is gutted with titanium exhaust, has nearly similar acceleration to an early stock F82 with much higher average cornering speed (8 sec faster per lap) yet they post near identical sector times around the hairpin at the entry and the exit. The only differentiating factor in favor of F82 is the gearbox.
In theory the MT should be faster but it is definitely harder to set up for the entry when you are moving left and right and pressing the clutch.
It is driven by the same driver.
Like I said, track dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Sorry, doesn't make any sense. All downshifting occurs in the brake zone before corner entry, so your ability to get back on throttle is no different manual vs. auto. Scrubbing 100 mph of speed in a brake zone provides more than enough time to complete 3 or even 4 downshifts before turn in. Not to mention, you don't need to hit all of them on the way down if you don't want to.

In addition to Pobst's PDK vs. manual test (0.2 gap), Pilgrim lapped a PDK .2 GT3 and a manual Touring around NCM. Long track, plenty of shifts, high speed aero factor favoring the winged GT3. 0.68 second gap. For what it's worth, believe PDK factor around Sebring's 3.74 miles is about 3/4 of a second.

Really strong time from the M4 Coupe (base) MANUAL around Hockenheim GP in the hands of a capable testing group. Just 6/10ths off the 718 GT4 this time, but on PS4S. Same driver, different days.

Appreciate 2
      04-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #5392
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Question for you (and maybe it’s the wrong thread): have you ever been tempted to go with a coilover setup? (JRZ, MCS, etc.) I ask because it seems like you are at the level where you could utilize its benefits to the fullest - as opposed to someone like me that is a track novice and has yet to touch the limits of the stock suspension. But curious what your view is on coilovers since they seem like they can be another equalizer even between generations of M3 as it relates to lap times (of course providing the driver can push that limit - so not a novice like me lol).

I personally am really going to make an effort this year to get out to the track somewhat regularly so the only thing I’ll likely be looking for would be tires then maybe camber plates if I can get out enough.
I spent a lot of time modifying cars in my younger years when I was driving competitively. I have to say I grew tired of the constant tinkering, reliability issues and spiralling costs. Now having other life obligations, I really love the concept of being able to arrive-and-drive at the track with a fully warrantied car . So I limit the mods on my car to just consumable cost reduction, such as tires, brake pads and camber plates. I'd rather focus on improving my driving skills, even after 25+ years in this hobby I keep learning something new. And even on a rather stock car, there's still plenty to play with (alignment setting, tire pressures, ride height, etc).

The key regarding the suspension, is keeping it balanced with the tires. I find the stock EDC suspension is able to deal well enough with mild R-comp tires. However, when you go into more aggressive stuff, it starts losing its composure and that is when you really need to switch to coil-overs.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-11-2021 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 9
Sedan_Clan25086.50
RugbyBro7601.50
minn1914034.50
irunalot1518.00
CT_M31478.00
alex23642864.50
GrussGott18179.00
Mavus2029.50
F32Fleet3570.00
      04-11-2021, 10:13 AM   #5393
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

In other news, Hyundai releases its DCT equipped Veloster N.
For the money (~$33 ish K), this is something I would consider if I was a younger enthusiast.

10 year drivetrain warranty!
DCT, Overboost, good enough acceleration 0-60 5.6 secs, EDC, etc.
Hyundai is clearly building the foundation of something great here with their N division.

DCT is removed from M Division, clearly cost cutting. If Hyundai can make it work for $30K car... clearly BMW can, but chooses not to. To me, its further confirmation of more serious issues at BMW.

Appreciate 8
RugbyBro7601.50
minn1914034.50
stein_325i25083.00
GrussGott18179.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
Mavus2029.50
      04-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #5394
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Starting to think it's not the bad tyre pressure that makes these crash, it's the Drift Analyser.
That color is horrible so send it to the junk yard where it belongs!
Appreciate 4
minn1914034.50
stein_325i25083.00
irunalot1518.00
CT_M31478.00
      04-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #5395
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
Starting to think it's not the bad tyre pressure that makes these crash, it's the Drift Analyser.
That color is horrible so send it to the junk yard where it belongs!
We all have different taste. I thought it was an ugly color at first but then I saw it yesterday at the dealership and my mind changed instantly.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      04-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #5396
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrae26 View Post
We all have different taste. I thought it was an ugly color at first but then I saw it yesterday at the dealership and my mind changed instantly.
I was that way with AY on the F8s, but not this one. It’s an ugly color on any car, not just the G8s IMO.

Last edited by minn19; 04-11-2021 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
GrussGott18179.00
      04-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #5397
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

The more I look at the car, the more I appreciate subtle styling cues such as the headlight design/line element that coincides with the hood line and the fins on the carbon fiber roof. I stopped at Monrovia BMW today and one of the ///M's sold while I was there. They have a Brooklyn Gray M4 on display with full leather, but no carbon fiber bucket seats. I've wanted to see BG in person for a really long time, so I'm glad Monrovia had one in stock. Apparently they've sold about 14 cars in the last two weeks (...all with mark-ups). Another observation for me is the fact that all of the black treatment is not growing on me, and if I opt for a G82 I will be painting the front splitters, side skirts, rear bumper splitters, trunk spoiler and mirror caps (...and of course, the reflectors). I'm convinced that those parts of the car painted in the body color will enhance the look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #5398
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Another observation for me is the fact that all of the black treatment is not growing on me, and if I opt for a G82 I will be painting the front splitters, side skirts, rear bumper splitters, trunk spoiler and mirror caps (...and of course, the reflectors). I'm convinced that those parts of the car painted in the body color will enhance the look.
Somebody's posted a green car from UAE with the bits painted in body colour and it looked much better. Still bad, but better. Really don't get what they were trying to achieve with the two-tone scheme. But I also hate the F3x/F8x M Performance side skirt vinyls, now seen on eBay as £20 replicas.
      04-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #5399
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
The more I look at the car, the more I appreciate subtle styling cues such as the headlight design/line element that coincides with the hood line and the fins on the carbon fiber roof. I stopped at Monrovia BMW today and one of the ///M's sold while I was there. They have a Brooklyn Gray M4 on display with full leather, but no carbon fiber bucket seats. I've wanted to see BG in person for a really long time, so I'm glad Monrovia had one in stock. Apparently they've sold about 14 cars in the last two weeks (...all with mark-ups). Another observation for me is the fact that all of the black treatment is not growing on me, and if I opt for a G82 I will be painting the front splitters, side skirts, rear bumper splitters, trunk spoiler and mirror caps (...and of course, the reflectors). I'm convinced that those parts of the car painted in the body color will enhance the look.
I remember one of the criticisms of the front end of the F8x was the hood line to headlights area. That weird triangle in the front as well as the end where it's just a piece. Which I do find weird and wondered why BMW didn't just make it one solid piece some how instead.

The black parts of the G8x was completely not necessary. It makes the car look taller than necessary which also makes no sense for a sports car in the first place. it's like they wanted to shove in more black parts to the car for some reason and choose to do it that way instead of allowing owners to do it themselves.
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      04-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #5400
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
I remember one of the criticisms of the front end of the F8x was the hood line to headlights area. That weird triangle in the front as well as the end where it's just a piece. Which I do find weird and wondered why BMW didn't just make it one solid piece some how instead.

The black parts of the G8x was completely not necessary. It makes the car look taller than necessary which also makes no sense for a sports car in the first place. it's like they wanted to shove in more black parts to the car for some reason and choose to do it that way instead of allowing owners to do it themselves.
Agreed!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #5401
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
How'd you like BG in person? I quite like it, it's kind of like if Silverstone and Hockenheim had a kid. Agreed on the black skirts - every time I see this styling on cars I think of the two tone pain pattern you can get on pickup trucks
      04-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #5402
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How'd you like BG in person? I quite like it, it's kind of like if Silverstone and Hockenheim had a kid. Agreed on the black skirts - every time I see this styling on cars I think of the two tone pain pattern you can get on pickup trucks
I loved it. The subtlety of the metallic is nice. It's the one non-individual color that has constantly resonated with me. It does look like Silverstone and Hockenheim had a baby. Lol!

Hate for the car itself aside, how do you guys think a Brooklyn Gray car would look with the Yas Marina Blue/yellow/black full leather interior with the CF buckets? I've had Silverstone interior in my last two M4's, Palladium Silver in two of three E9X's (...black in the third E9X), Imola Red and Speed Cloth in my two E46 M3's. If I get the beaver, I want the exterior/interior combo to pop.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      04-11-2021, 03:46 PM   #5403
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Another observation for me is the fact that all of the black treatment is not growing on me, and if I opt for a G82 I will be painting the front splitters, side skirts, rear bumper splitters, trunk spoiler and mirror caps (...and of course, the reflectors). I'm convinced that those parts of the car painted in the body color will enhance the look.
Somebody's posted a green car from UAE with the bits painted in body colour and it looked much better. Still bad, but better. Really don't get what they were trying to achieve with the two-tone scheme. But I also hate the F3x/F8x M Performance side skirt vinyls, now seen on eBay as £20 replicas.
Any pics of it?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 03:48 PM   #5404
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I spent a lot of time modifying cars in my younger years when I was driving competitively. I have to say I grew tired of the constant tinkering, reliability issues and spiralling costs. Now having other life obligations, I really love the concept of being able to arrive-and-drive at the track with a fully warrantied car . So I limit the mods on my car to just consumable cost reduction, such as tires, brake pads and camber plates. I'd rather focus on improving my driving skills, even after 25+ years in this hobby I keep learning something new. And even on a rather stock car, there's still plenty to play with (alignment setting, tire pressures, ride height, etc).

The key regarding the suspension, is keeping it balanced with the tires. I find the stock EDC suspension is able to deal well enough with mild R-comp tires. However, when you go into more aggressive stuff, it starts losing its composure and that is when you really need to switch to coil-overs.
Gotcha, fully understand where you're coming from (although I don't have kids yet!). Reading posts from you and SYT definitely makes me want to maximize my skills on stock hardware before looking at anything aftermarket!
      04-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #5405
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I loved it. The subtlety of the metallic is nice. It's the one non-individual color that has constantly resonated with me. It does look like Silverstone and Hockenheim had a baby. Lol!

Hate for the car itself aside, how do you guys think a Brooklyn Gray car would look with the Yas Marina Blue/yellow/black full leather interior with the CF buckets? I've had Silverstone interior in my last two M4's, Palladium Silver in two of three E9X's (...black in the third E9X), Imola Red and Speed Cloth in my two E46 M3's. If I get the beaver, I want the exterior/interior combo to pop.
I actually have really liked the colors on G8X so far (IOMG & BG are my top 2), with one very bright objection. I also hate that color on the Civic and Camaro, so it's not specifically a G8X thing lol.

Personally, I would stay away form the Yas/SPY interior - I think it looks a little tacky and very out of place if you aren't running SPY as an exterior color. I also don't like KO - if it was just a bit more brown like cinnamon I would love it, but every time I see orange in a car I think of the 2010 Camaro with Orange Interior and racing stripes that I thought was so cool as a high schooler. KO is literally one shade away from being great in my eyes.

BG and full Silverstone/White w/ carbon buckets would be my pick - I may have spec'd it on the builder... you know, for research purposes.
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      04-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #5406
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
In other news, Hyundai releases its DCT equipped Veloster N.
For the money (~$33 ish K), this is something I would consider if I was a younger enthusiast.

10 year drivetrain warranty!
DCT, Overboost, good enough acceleration 0-60 5.6 secs, EDC, etc.
Hyundai is clearly building the foundation of something great here with their N division.

DCT is removed from M Division, clearly cost cutting. If Hyundai can make it work for $30K car... clearly BMW can, but chooses not to. To me, its further confirmation of more serious issues at BMW.
I pulled up to a guy in a DCT (or so it sounded) Veloster at a light on Friday. looked over and told him I loved his car. He wasn't ready for a compliment then and there, and definitely wasn't ready for my quip about his car being designed by the same guy that did mine. Big grin from him after that
CanAutM321116.50
CT_M31478.00
stein_325i25083.00
MFNATIK3498.00
clutchdj1878.50
FormulaMMM3662.50
      04-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #5407
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
I pulled up to a guy in a DCT (or so it sounded) Veloster at a light on Friday. looked over and told him I loved his car. He wasn't ready for a compliment then and there, and definitely wasn't ready for my quip about his car being designed by the same guy that did mine. Big grin from him after that
Ain't that just crazy?! You gotta really think about what that means to Hyundai. It gives them some credo and tells me they are just getting started on something good.

I really want my next M car to be an EV or performance hybrid. BMW was onto something with the i8 but they just fell short on executing on an i8M...why?!?!

Sedan_Clan I fully expect you to be in a G82 when the LCI launches. I know you know how this works with BMW's way of dooling out updates and editions and you're just waiting hahha. The new iDrive 8 refresh will make all these launch editions look dated (interior wise) really fast since it's going to be a pretty radical change and upgrade.
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7601.50
GrussGott18179.00
      04-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #5408
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Ain't that just crazy?! You gotta really think about what that means to Hyundai. It gives them some credo and tells me they are just getting started on something good.

I really want my next M car to be an EV or performance hybrid. BMW was onto something with the i8 but they just fell short on executing on an i8M...why?!?!

Sedan_Clan I fully expect you to be in a G82 when the LCI launches. I know you know how this works with BMW's way of dooling out updates and editions and you're just waiting hahha. The new iDrive 8 refresh will make all these launch editions look dated (interior wise) really fast since it's going to be a pretty radical change and upgrade.
Yeah BMW was the brand that got me into cars so it'll always have a special place to me, but I love any car that that can be exciting and fun - I'm pretty brand agnostic and can chat cars with anyone who is willing to geek out a little bit.

Agreed on the I8, to this day I still don't understand what it's trying to be. It's a very "what if" car... like what if they put a N or S55 in there and layered the hybrid power on top. No doubt BMWs EVs will be killer, I just hope they course correct on their design direction - although the concepts looked okay, the actual production models showcasing the design language look pretty awful. I actually sent my boss (P Car nut) the link to Porsche's "Patina Paint" April fools joke and the iX, I told him only one was an April fools joke... his response was "you're joking, right?"
MFNATIK3498.00
      04-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #5409
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Welcome to Suzuka. E92 shown here is gutted with titanium exhaust, has nearly similar acceleration to an early stock F82 with much higher average cornering speed (8 sec faster per lap) yet they post near identical sector times around the hairpin at the entry and the exit. The only differentiating factor in favor of F82 is the gearbox.
In theory the MT should be faster but it is definitely harder to set up for the entry when you are moving left and right and pressing the clutch.
It is driven by the same driver.
Like I said, track dependent.
If the claim is now that PDK/DCT will be variably faster depending upon track and/or sector characteristics, and with different cars... of course, no disagreement. The starting claim was that auto gains "more than a tenth per corner" due to difficulty of downshifting multiple gears under heavy braking. If so, that's a driver limitation, not trans. Under equivalent braking application, which should be the case in any brake zone, no lap time is gained because the PDK/DCT downshifts faster.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #5410
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Theoretically there might be little difference if you can judge MT downshift points perfectly say go from 5th to 2nd gear in one rev match (often times you risk over-braking or over-revving) but the way you set up the car for an entry in any non-straight braking zone where there is a certain bank angle, it is quite clear the action of pressing the clutch and blipping throttle while your legs are subject to high lateral G-force results in slower response than simply flicking the paddle and focusing on the lines.
Simply put, you are more than likely to not carry maximum speed possible following an ideal line, or if you do, it would just be slower than optimal.

It is also why fast GT drivers prefer minimal number of downshifts when driving with MT. PDK/DCT resolves this issue by effectively eliminating that variable.
I think on the Castle Combe, most advantages would be gained by faster upshifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
If the claim is now that PDK/DCT will be variably faster depending upon track and/or sector characteristics, and with different cars... of course, no disagreement. The starting claim was that auto gains "more than a tenth per corner" due to difficulty of downshifting multiple gears under heavy braking. If so, that's a driver limitation, not trans. Under equivalent braking application, which should be the case in any brake zone, no lap time is gained because the PDK/DCT downshifts faster.

Last edited by kyrix1st; 04-11-2021 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3570.00
      04-11-2021, 06:58 PM   #5411
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any pics of it?
Can't find the thread, but here are the IG posts

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM-ArDKJ...d=bec2ojf4ewnc
      04-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #5412
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Can't find the thread, but here are the IG posts