European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #23
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It actually isn't that bad. The way the lip is designed, it has sort of 3 bosses that protrude underneath where it is attached to the frame. Since I am lowered, I've scrapped mine on multiple occasions. Every time I cringed, but whenever I inspect the lip, I can only find evidence of bad scraping on the metal screws on those protruding bosses.
Mine jammed on those bracket bolts driving into my front garage and ended getting a bit of wood behind the front tyres to reverse the car out without damaging the brackets and spoiler. The spoiler's mounted to the chassis rails on seriously substantial brackets providing good damage resistance to underside impacts.
Attached Images

Last edited by RevNev; 05-29-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #24
JBones23
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, Lexus IS350

Thats crazy your roadkill is kangaroo. Sounds big
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #25
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
I've got a genuine CS spoiler on my M4 ZCP and lasted 3 weeks before I ran over a bit of dead kangaroo and cracked it. I repaired it with carbon fibre resin and re-clear coated it and you can only see a slight line in the carbon weave at certain angles otherwise the repair looks good considering it cracked right through. The spoiler didn't move with the brackets behind it mounted to the chassis rails but no doubt it world have torn off a lip spoiler mounted to the bumper underside and likely damaged the bumper.
Quote:
I've got a genuine CS spoiler on my M4 ZCP and lasted 3 weeks before I ran over a bit of dead kangaroo and cracked it. I repaired it with carbon fibre resin and re-clear coated it and you can only see a slight line in the carbon weave at certain angles otherwise the repair looks good considering it cracked right through. The spoiler didn't move with the brackets behind it mounted to the chassis rails but no doubt it world have torn off a lip spoiler mounted to the bumper underside and likely damaged the bumper.

I only want to talk about the "ran over a bit of a dead kangaroo..."

How many people can say this!?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #26
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I have front splitter on my 340. And it definitely "made" The look of the car. But it was a pain in the ass. I debated putting one on my new car, but I'm glad I didn't. They look amazing, just in and out a parking lot was a pain I felt like I scraped it everywhere I went. I'm surprised I never broke it
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #27
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I'm honestly debating removing it so I can get coil overs. It barely makes it up my driveway as it is.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #28
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

I had one of those situations in a hotel underground parking this morning where I couldnt make it without scraping. Decided to back out. Luckily there was no one behind me, I had to reverse 2 levels up in the tightest winding ramp. Not taking any chances.

I'm on MP HAS so its low. Also have PPF and that's helped as when I touch under the lip the only damage I can feel is on the PPF.

So far so good.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:12 PM   #29
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post

Kangaroo's are a problem on the open road in Australia at night. As you get out of the metropolitan area to give the car a run where the cops are less likely to be, the more likely kangaroo's will be a hazard.

When I saw the "bit of dead kangaroo" on the road a truck likely minced up, first thought was the spoiler I tried to line it up with the middle of the car and not brake so the front didn't dive and reduce the spoiler clearance. The thump was bit too far forward to have missed the spoiler.

It looked ok in the light from the headlights and I didn't see the crack until I got home and had another look in the garage lights.

The CS spoiler is $2500 AUD and if I damaged it again and can't fix the carbon weave, I'll repair it and paint it body colour. They're pretty vulnerable to getting damaged particularly if the car's lowered.

Here's the damage from a kangaroo I hit at about 50kmph
Attached Images

Last edited by RevNev; 05-30-2019 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #30
ewilson88
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Sahkir Orange ZCP M3

I looked on the search and couldn't find my issue so figured I'd post here. My front splitter caps are coming apart(bought 2 weeks ago and it was like this when I purchased). Does anybody know if these caps come off so I can remount with 3M tape? It's the part the arrow is pointing to. Thanks for any help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #31
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson88 View Post
I looked on the search and couldn't find my issue so figured I'd post here. My front splitter caps are coming apart(bought 2 weeks ago and it was like this when I purchased). Does anybody know if these caps come off so I can remount with 3M tape? It's the part the arrow is pointing to. Thanks for any help
This thread is about the CS splitter which is chassis mounted. You might have better luck making a new thread. From what I've heard your splitter is just bumper mounted.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #32
ewilson88
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Sahkir Orange ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson88 View Post
This thread is about the CS splitter which is chassis mounted. You might have better luck making a new thread. From what I've heard your splitter is just bumper mounted.
I made a new one. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 11:09 PM   #33
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, after 4+ years it finally happened to me. After pulling out of a lot I've been in 100 times, somehow I hit it at the wrong angle and split my front lip.

I can't find much advice on replacing the OEM CS lip.

I found one for $2,000 without the mounting hardware. Is that fine if I already have a CS with the chassis brackets installed?

Are there any 3rd party CF lips that use the same chassis mounting? It looks like most of the "CS" splitters just tap screw into the bumper.

2022 X3 M40i
E46 330i ZHP, E90, E89 Z4, F30 320i "Jalopnik Edition", F80 Comp, F80 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:49 AM   #34
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M3CS

I’m in NYC, no issues with scraping for me. Although I do tend to take on bumps and driveways on an angle
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 08:06 AM   #35
techie182
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Im in process of repairing mine right now. Had front portion showing bare CF and had line going across. Watched alot of youtube videos and started 3 days ago. Came out really good. You have to get really close like few inches to notice the repair. Im at 80% done. Just need more buffing/polishing.
Total cost was about $15 for resin and $5 for set of sand papers. Btw Im repairing without removing lip from the car.

Its really easy process. Just need time and elbow grease.

Spray some water and see how it looks.Thats how its going to look after repair.

Last edited by techie182; 05-10-2023 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 09:20 AM   #36
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie182 View Post
Im in process of repairing mine right now. Had front portion showing bare CF and had line going across. Watched alot of youtube videos and started 3 days ago. Came out really good. You have to get really close like few inches to notice the repair. Im at 80% done. Just need more buffing/polishing.
Total cost was about $15 for resin and $5 for set of sand papers. Btw Im repairing without removing lip from the car.

Its really easy process. Just need time and elbow grease.

Spray some water and see how it looks.Thats how its going to look after repair.
Do you have instructions on how to do this somewhere?

2022 X3 M40i
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:56 AM   #37
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Tranceparent. View Post
I’m in NYC, no issues with scraping for me. Although I do tend to take on bumps and driveways on an angle
Hah, spoke too soon. Smashed it against a driveway at a friends in NJ. Folks say it’s not too bad, but all I can see now is the cracked “fang” portion of the splitter. Can CF be repaired, or do I need to keep an eye out for a whole new unit?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 09:26 AM   #38
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Tranceparent. View Post
Hah, spoke too soon. Smashed it against a driveway at a friends in NJ. Folks say it’s not too bad, but all I can see now is the cracked “fang” portion of the splitter. Can CF be repaired, or do I need to keep an eye out for a whole new unit?
Sorry man, I felt the same way. "I'm careful and never have a problem here in Seattle!"

And then it happened in a place I 100% didn't expect it.

I wish BMW gave us an inexpensive urethane splitter option... like every single Porsche GT car has...

2022 X3 M40i
Appreciate 1