R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-11-2015, 12:28 AM   #23
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmody View Post
Passenger side window:
2nd gear the whole run? What graphic/app is that you're using?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #24
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal TW View Post
How come none of you use the view from just behind B-pillar? Provides the track, your tires, and your hands. And your ugly mug in the side view mirror if unlucky.

It sucks that you can't mount to the seat - but has anyone thought of making something with PVC pipes, and suctions cups to have for lack of a better term, a camera bar in the rear cabin? Something like one of those wall to wall shower curtain rail thingies.

If you get the RAM mount (best), make sure you get the shorter version. The video below is the long version and shakes like hell, mine is pretty stable. He also has his ugly mug in the shot haha.
Was that an Accord crossover in front of you?!?
The camera car is my friend. I'm in the black m3 in front of him running away.

Oops wrong video. This is my friends video when I first got him into it. Check out his new videos on his page.
      06-12-2015, 01:21 AM   #25
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaM3 View Post
2nd gear the whole run? What graphic/app is that you're using?
2nd gear the whole run. There was only one part of the track that may have required third, but by the time I shifted I would have to go back down to 2.

I'm using Track Addicts on my phone for the data and RaceRender to do the gauge overlays.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #26
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

ive used most of the locations listed. each has pros/cons. I like putting the passenger seat back/reclined and suction cupping to the rear passenger side window (obviously when passengerless).

using the audio technica external mic mic is great, I run it out through the trunk & clip to my tow strap.

the seat backs don't seem quite grippy enough for the suction cup.. I thought about putting a plastic/vinyl sticker over the seatback to create a better seal.... I also need to look into the point focusing and upside down settings. if u have a sunroof, having it cupped to the inside is a nice close perspective.

there is also a front tow-hook mount from burger tuning that gives a nice low perspective which gives a better speed sensation

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #27
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

06-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #28
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
sweet vid man, where did you get the overlay data from and how did you overlay it? and i hear your frustration for not getting point bys... your animation is pretty funny, i don't get quite that upset and head through the hot-pit if it's that bad. i have a hard time understanding how people don't notice someone filling up their rearview mirror through multiple passing zones and even multiple laps without giving a freakin' pointby. in the beginner groups the instructors should help, if you're intermediate/solo/advanced you should be able to pretty easily figure out someone wants to get past you. seems like there's always one guy in the advanced group driving his porsche (por-shuh) at about 5/10s and refuses to point by a lowly BMW. then gets upset when people start crowding him, but if you don't it's "well if you could keep up i would've let you by" ... *shaking head* /////rant.

back on topic. good driving out there & yes, this is one of my favorite all-encompassing views (as seen in my video). i actually put the suction cup on the front part of the rear door on the shadowline trim... the suction cup is just barely wider than the trim but holds on well. if i put it on the glass it's a little too far back and shows too much car IMO.

Last edited by evanescent03; 06-14-2015 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #29
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
. i actually put the suction cup on the front part of the rear door on the shadowline trim... the suction cup is just barely wider than the trim but holds on well. if i put it on the glass it's a little too far back and shows too much car IMO.
Do you have a photo of this placement? Does it hold up?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #30
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep

Has anyone tried a driver side tire POV? I think it would look insane. You see this view often in the two-wheel circuit.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #31
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03
Quote:
sweet vid man, where did you get the overlay data from and how did you overlay it? and i hear your frustration for not getting point bys... your animation is pretty funny, i don't get quite that upset and head through the hot-pit if it's that bad. i have a hard time understanding how people don't notice someone filling up their rearview mirror through multiple passing zones and even multiple laps without giving a freakin' pointby. in the beginner groups the instructors should help, if you're intermediate/solo/advanced you should be able to pretty easily figure out someone wants to get past you. seems like there's always one guy in the advanced group driving his porsche (por-shuh) at about 5/10s and refuses to point by a lowly BMW. then gets upset when people start crowding him, but if you don't it's "well if you could keep up i would've let you by" ... *shaking head* /////rant.

back on topic. good driving out there & yes, this is one of my favorite all-encompassing views (as seen in my video). i actually put the suction cup on the front part of the rear door on the shadowline trim... the suction cup is just barely wider than the trim but holds on well. if i put it on the glass it's a little too far back and shows too much car IMO.
I don't run in point by groups. I think you were referring to my friends video in the white car? I've told him its funny too but not to get frustrated already.

I have an aim solo dl with can bus connection from mworld and it was easy to install.

I have race render ($50?) and dashware is free now. The gauges I made with images. I can make an M4 one for you ifyou'd like.

Dashware has better display graphics and is easy to use and is free.

Race render has more functionality and will render a video 100 times faster but will have to buy (there is a trial or free version but don't know if it has all the functionality).
      06-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #32
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
ive used most of the locations listed. each has pros/cons. I like putting the passenger seat back/reclined and suction cupping to the rear passenger side window (obviously when passengerless).

using the audio technica external mic mic is great, I run it out through the trunk & clip to my tow strap.

the seat backs don't seem quite grippy enough for the suction cup.. I thought about putting a plastic/vinyl sticker over the seatback to create a better seal.... I also need to look into the point focusing and upside down settings. if u have a sunroof, having it cupped to the inside is a nice close perspective.

there is also a front tow-hook mount from burger tuning that gives a nice low perspective which gives a better speed sensation

Nice vid with multiple views! Are you using wifi? I always seem to run out of battery with WiFi on.
      06-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #33
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
How come none of you use the view from just behind B-pillar? Provides the track, your tires, and your hands. And your ugly mug in the side view mirror if unlucky.

It sucks that you can't mount to the seat - but has anyone thought of making something with PVC pipes, and suctions cups to have for lack of a better term, a camera bar in the rear cabin? Something like one of those wall to wall shower curtain rail thingies.

If you get the RAM mount (best), make sure you get the shorter version. The video below is the long version and shakes like hell, mine is pretty stable. He also has his ugly mug in the shot haha.

I've done that a few times eg.

On the actual track I prefer to just stick my iphone on my dash for simplicities sake, eg.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #34
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone tried a driver side tire POV? I think it would look insane. You see this view often in the two-wheel circuit.

before I used an external mic and the audio was crap, so u added some techno. here are a bunch of different views.. mostly my e46 m3 but a few from other cars (f30 328i, gauges of e90 335i & Panamera S...) some of the views are cool but it's a pain in the @ss to compile/combine videos so I've calmed down on all the placements I use. the all-encompassing angles are good to show a lot without having to do a ton of editing.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #35
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
. i actually put the suction cup on the front part of the rear door on the shadowline trim... the suction cup is just barely wider than the trim but holds on well. if i put it on the glass it's a little too far back and shows too much car IMO.
Do you have a photo of this placement? Does it hold up?
just like this but with a camera on it? I could have put it on the glass behind in use more extension pieces but I don't like the instability that causes but may be more stable option as far as suction cup strength because this hangs over the edges just slightly which may not be good at very high speeds I was only hitting about 130 mph? My next plan is to get a fat gecko double suction cup rig.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #36
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86
Quote:
Quote:

I don't run in point by groups. I think you were referring to my friends video in the white car? I've told him its funny too but not to get frustrated already.

I have an aim solo dl with can bus connection from mworld and it was easy to install.

I have race render ($50?) and dashware is free now. The gauges I made with images. I can make an M4 one for you ifyou'd like.

Dashware has better display graphics and is easy to use and is free.

Race render has more functionality and will render a video 100 times faster but will have to buy (there is a trial or free version but don't know if it has all the functionality).
no point by groups, so you club race or amateur or pro or ?? or a different HPDE organization?

thanks for all the info about the software. & thanks for the offer of the gauges but I probably won't get time to mess with this stuff for quite a while unfortunately... two kids in diapers keeps me quite busy lol. I'll probably grab the aim solo eventually but I'm not at the point where it would help me much, more of a cool gadget. I have a long ways to go before I actually need good telemetry to improve myself. honestly I was thinking of going to Harry's lap timer for now due to ease of use...

thanks again! and I hope your friend really wasn't THAT stressed... it's supposed to be fun even if u get in a little traffic from time to time hehe.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #37
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep

Has anyone attached a GoPro to your helmet? I'm thinking the wide angle will cover everything you need. Need to play around with spot setting or low light options...I don't play to be checking blind spots, hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #38
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaM3 View Post
Has anyone attached a GoPro to your helmet? I'm thinking the wide angle will cover everything you need. Need to play around with spot setting or low light options...I don't play to be checking blind spots, hopefully.
I tried this, but not too happy with the exposure. I'll see if some studio work will help.

I ended up doing a session with the camera on the drivers side, rear pillar like in previous posts and from the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #39
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
no point by groups, so you club race or amateur or pro or ?? or a different HPDE organization?

thanks for all the info about the software. & thanks for the offer of the gauges but I probably won't get time to mess with this stuff for quite a while unfortunately... two kids in diapers keeps me quite busy lol. I'll probably grab the aim solo eventually but I'm not at the point where it would help me much, more of a cool gadget. I have a long ways to go before I actually need good telemetry to improve myself. honestly I was thinking of going to Harry's lap timer for now due to ease of use...

thanks again! and I hope your friend really wasn't THAT stressed... it's supposed to be fun even if u get in a little traffic from time to time hehe.
no babies for me yet.

we have groups here that have open passing groups for advanced folks. Or just ppl who don't want to wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #40
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep

Here's my vid from left side rear pillar and on helmet (skip to the middle to see this view).

Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #41
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
I've done a couple.

Inside right rear window:
Pros: decent audio, can watch your driving/hands
Cons: not great road visibility, if have passenger blocks view

Outside top of windshield:
Pros: good course visibilty, only wind noise if no external mic
Cons: can't see your hands, run risk of loosing camera/causing damage

Currently I'm using outside with external mic for exhaust. Need to move mic further away next time, the exhaust drowned it out in this first trial run.
yes but do you have parking assist? Just kidding felt like I needed to get in some track time watched the whole video felt like I just did, good vid. No need for that now.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #42
kzdash
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

rear side window

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #43
ChrisG_DrV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 AW

I generally use the helmet cam setup, especially in the race car. Gives it a better sense of speed and G-forces and makes it a little more interesting to watch. Running it outside of the car is great if you're trying to see how well you're hitting lines and apexes. I see a lot of people missing apexes and track-outs by 1-2ft so something with a good view of the entire width of the track can be very useful too. I definitely need to get an external mic though.

A few laps at TWS in an WRL 8hr endurance race with the helmet cam setup.
-the squeaking noise is the camera rubbing against the roll bar padding :/

Last edited by ChrisG_DrV; 07-22-2015 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 05:59 AM   #44
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I use one of those 3M sticky mounts provided with the camera glued on the windshield behind the rearview mirror on the passenger side. The mount and the camera are hidden from the driver's view (behind the rearview mirror) and this position provides a great "driver's view" in videos. It is very convenient to remove and install the camera and the mount remains very discreet when no camera is mounted.
Reviving an old thread I just got my gopro session and like the interior view of your vid, do you still use it in ur F82? do you mind taking a pic of the mount and camera? I guess the adhesive mount is visible from the exterior given you put it on the interior windshield behind the rearview mirror.

Did you try installing the mount on the back of the rearview mirror? Merci.
Appreciate 0