Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #23
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FR F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9SECDD View Post
Sorry, just saw this. YES, you can just paddle shift exactly as you are and takeover while still floored. Do not lift...unless you are about to crash into the wall...LOL
So using LC, I can hit the wall!? Maybe I'll stick to just flooring it on Green light...lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #24
9SECDD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Blk on Blk, DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFish View Post
So using LC, I can hit the wall!? Maybe I'll stick to just flooring it on Green light...lol.
Sure, if you spin, go sideways and don't lift. Not common. I wouldn't sweat it. Just be heads up when you launch and lift if you have to.
2015 F82 DCT M4. Max PSI Built Motor, Ported head, Full Bolt Ons, Upgraded fuel system, Motiv Reflex and flex hardware for flex fuel, Max PSI Crank Hub Fix, Pure PS2+ Turbos, SSP Spec X clutch, xHP Trans Flash, DSS Axles. Custom Ecutek tune by Ian @bend calibration. 780whp & 700+ ft lbs torque, 18" HRE R101s.
Appreciate 1
mdma-zn51.50
      12-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #25
9SECDD
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKno View Post
Just got back from the track. My times were absolutely horrible.

Stock with stage 2 e30 bm3 ots tune. Stock MPSS 19" wheels and tires. About 4mm tread left. 26 psi.

I'm having major traction issues. I had to let out if the throttle on my first attempt because the car was getting sideways. As soon as I did the car seemed to go into "neutral" and wouldn't accelerate. A few seconds later power came back on and right back to tire spinning. Seems like I can't get traction, even at speed. Are my tires just that bad? What am I doing wrong?
Yes, you definitely need better tires. Were you at dragstrip or road track?
2015 F82 DCT M4. Max PSI Built Motor, Ported head, Full Bolt Ons, Upgraded fuel system, Motiv Reflex and flex hardware for flex fuel, Max PSI Crank Hub Fix, Pure PS2+ Turbos, SSP Spec X clutch, xHP Trans Flash, DSS Axles. Custom Ecutek tune by Ian @bend calibration. 780whp & 700+ ft lbs torque, 18" HRE R101s.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #26
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FR F82 M4

Quote:
Sure, if you spin, go sideways and don't lift. Not common. I wouldn't sweat it. Just be heads up when you launch and lift if you have to.
Just making sure, to just let off throttle completely if I start to go sideways right? And there are people that still go WOT even when the rear is slipping out of control, that is crazy!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #27
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFish View Post
Just making sure, to just let off throttle completely if I start to go sideways right? And there are people that still go WOT even when the rear is slipping out of control, that is crazy!
It's important to understand when to lift off, how to lift off, and when to keep your foot in the throttle. If you abruptly go to 0% throttle while sliding at higher speed, the rear tires may suddenly gain traction and shoot you the other way. Like anything else related to high speed driving, you want to be smooth. If the rear tires spin and the rear end starts to move to one side, you want to gently reduce your throttle angle. You'll probably be at 100% throttle when the rear starts to slide so you want to do 90%, 80%, 70%, 60% over the course of a few tenths of a second instead of jerking your foot completely off the pedal and going straight to 0%.

On the other hand, if you keep your foot at 100% throttle after you're super, super sideways then yes you might just slam into the wall.
Appreciate 2
9SECDD551.00
mdma-zn51.50
      01-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #28
9SECDD
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
It's important to understand when to lift off, how to lift off, and when to keep your foot in the throttle. If you abruptly go to 0% throttle while sliding at higher speed, the rear tires may suddenly gain traction and shoot you the other way. Like anything else related to high speed driving, you want to be smooth. If the rear tires spin and the rear end starts to move to one side, you want to gently reduce your throttle angle. You'll probably be at 100% throttle when the rear starts to slide so you want to do 90%, 80%, 70%, 60% over the course of a few tenths of a second instead of jerking your foot completely off the pedal and going straight to 0%.

On the other hand, if you keep your foot at 100% throttle after you're super, super sideways then yes you might just slam into the wall.
This. +1
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #29
JayKno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, you definitely need better tires. Were you at dragstrip or road track?
Hey, just seeing your reply! This was at the drag strip. They arent known for having good prep, but plenty of other high HP cars didnt seem to be having issues.

I've come to realize my tires are just worn and arent up to the task. My R888R's (285/35/19) should be here tomorrow. Hitting the track this sunday.

Thanks for your help, and I'll let everyone know how I do!/
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #30
9SECDD
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKno View Post
Hey, just seeing your reply! This was at the drag strip. They arent known for having good prep, but plenty of other high HP cars didnt seem to be having issues.

I've come to realize my tires are just worn and arent up to the task. My R888R's (285/35/19) should be here tomorrow. Hitting the track this sunday.

Thanks for your help, and I'll let everyone know how I do!/
Lower the PSI in the rear tires to something like 28psi.
Appreciate 0