BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #353
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
So you really don't know anything about the F8X do you?

For someone who has no interest in the F8X, you spend a lot of time here.
For someone who allegedly likes the CAR in discussion, you're sure spending a lot of time talking about some PERSON you disagree with.

As for my interests, that's for me to worry about. You're welcome to concern yourself with a discussion of the car, not me personally. There's a difference.

But I will share that I have a lot of interest in BMW, and M specifically.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #354
Jockey
Brigadier General
Jockey's Avatar
United_States
1984
Rep
4,401
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SS M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Park City, UT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
For someone who allegedly likes the CAR in discussion, you're sure spending a lot of time talking about some PERSON you disagree with.

As for my interests, that's for me to worry about. You're welcome to concern yourself with a discussion of the car, not me personally. There's a difference.

But I will share that I have a lot of interest in BMW, and M specifically.
I do like the cars in the discussion. The GTS is amazing and I would love to own one. I love the M4 too and will still probably get one (especially with my discount).

For someone who claims to have a lot of interest in BMW and M, you sure to make a lot of unsubstantiated claims about a car you haven't even driven.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #355
F1Venom
Banned
59
Rep
963
Posts

Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Cayman GTS, hands down. Unless you need the extra two or three seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #356
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
I do like the cars in the discussion. The GTS is amazing and I would love to own one. I love the M4 too and will still probably get one (especially with my discount).

For someone who claims to have a lot of interest in BMW and M, you sure to make a lot of unsubstantiated claims about a car you haven't even driven.
What are my unsubstantiated claims?

- Lower redline? Fact
- Inferior sound? Easily the majority opinion, plus BMW didn't pipe in fake sound to cover the awesome real sounds up. Oh, and MOST reviewers agree. Also, I HAVE heard the exhaust, in person. 370z.
- Lag? Again, BMW didn't build an anti-lag mode because one wasn't needed. Also again, lag is often mentioned in reviews. I haven't seen ANY review or claim by anyone that the throttle response is superior or equal to the S65; thus by definition it is a step backward.

There are many good things about the new M cars, and even some about the engine specifically:

- lighter, even if the 3300 is clearly bs
- more capable chassis
- next version, with no big price jump
- availability of cf brakes
- better fuel economy
- faster both in a straight line and on a road course
- more tunable
- more accessible power
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #357
Jockey
Brigadier General
Jockey's Avatar
United_States
1984
Rep
4,401
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SS M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Park City, UT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
What are my unsubstantiated claims?

- Inferior sound? Easily the majority opinion, plus BMW didn't pipe in fake sound to cover the awesome real sounds up. Oh, and MOST reviewers agree. Also, I HAVE heard the exhaust, in person. 370z.
- Lag? Again, BMW didn't build an anti-lag mode because one wasn't needed. Also again, lag is often mentioned in reviews. I haven't seen ANY review or claim by anyone that the throttle response is superior or equal to the S65; thus by definition it is a step backward.
It doesn't have inferior sound. But your original post was factually incorrect. The piped in sound isn't to cover up a "crappy sound", it's to enhance the induction sound to aid in allowing the driver knowing when to shift through sound alone. We can argue all day about the sound and get no where, many former E9X owners love the sound of the F8X and have commented that it's actually louder than the E9X in stock form.

As for lag, the fact that this car has anti-lag isn't a step backward, it's a step forward. Find me another production turbo car that has this feature. Sure lag is a tradeoff (very minimal at that and even less at the track) but you what you gain is a ton of torque.

All cars have tradeoffs. You seem to let the few negative (IMO, almost nonexistent) attributes of the F8X to completely overshadow how much of a leap forward it is as a total package.

But this thread isn't another F8X vs E9X thread (it's amazing how some people can turn any thread into this stupid debate), it's about one amazing car vs another amazing car.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #358
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
9596
Rep
8,528
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
It doesn't have inferior sound. But your original post was factually incorrect. The piped in sound isn't to cover up a "crappy sound", it's to enhance the induction sound to aid in allowing the driver knowing when to shift through sound alone. We can argue all day about the sound and get no where, many former E9X owners love the sound of the F8X and have commented that it's actually louder than the E9X in stock form.

As for lag, the fact that this car has anti-lag isn't a step backward, it's a step forward. Find me another production turbo car that has this feature. Sure lag is a tradeoff (very minimal at that and even less at the track) but you what you gain is a ton of torque.

All cars have tradeoffs. You seem to let the few negative (IMO, almost nonexistent) attributes of the F8X to completely overshadow how much of a leap forward it is as a total package.

But this thread isn't another F8X vs E9X thread (it's amazing how some people can turn any thread into this stupid debate), it's about one amazing car vs another amazing car.
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #359
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
94
Rep
5,741
Posts

Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
All cars have tradeoffs. You seem to let the few negative (IMO, almost nonexistent) attributes of the F8X to completely overshadow how much of a leap forward it is as a total package.
In a discussion between the m and a cayman GTS, the sound is not an almost nonexistent topic. I have heard both the m4 and cayman gts exhaust and they are not in the same league. This isn't to say the m4 sounds bad, but that the GTS is on another level. I went to a bmw meet with my cayman (as its the same group of friends I have been rolling with for 5 or so years) and no one there disagreed that it wasn't the best sound stock exhaust (excluding possible the F Type, which even the reviewers give credit too but none of us have heard) anyone had ever heard for less than $150k.

IMO, you can discuss all the other merits of each car, but that one needs to left out for the M4 sake, IMO.
__________________
2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob - Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #360
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
94
Rep
5,741
Posts

Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
And will happily give anyone one in the chicagoland area a ride to prove my point
__________________
2015 - Cayman GTS - Stock
2011 - 335is e92 - Cobb PTF E40/Rob - Beck/AR/Helix (458 rwtq and 479 rwhp) - Retired
2007 - 911 Turbo - EP1/AMS (617 awtq and 500 awhp) - Retired
2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #361
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
9596
Rep
8,528
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
And will happily give anyone one in the chicagoland area a ride to prove my point
We're happy for you. Enjoy your GTS
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #362
Jockey
Brigadier General
Jockey's Avatar
United_States
1984
Rep
4,401
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SS M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Park City, UT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
In a discussion between the m and a cayman GTS, the sound is not an almost nonexistent topic.
Did you see me compare the sound of the GTS vs M4?

I haven't heard a GTS but I'm sure it sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #363
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
It doesn't have inferior sound. But your original post was factually incorrect. The piped in sound isn't to cover up a "crappy sound", it's to enhance the induction sound to aid in allowing the driver knowing when to shift through sound alone. We can argue all day about the sound and get no where, many former E9X owners love the sound of the F8X and have commented that it's actually louder than the E9X in stock form.
How many people who DON'T have an emotional stake in it (don't own it), who own a nice performance car, "love" the sound? Now, how many in that category DON'T love it?

Re:louder. So what? A truck with a rusted muffler is louder. I never said it wasn't noisy, or that noisy was preferable.


Quote:
As for lag, the fact that this car has anti-lag isn't a step backward, it's a step forward.
Hilarious! Yea, lag, and systems to reduce it are a step forward from the no lag competition such as Cayman.


Quote:
Find me another production turbo car that has this feature.
I agree it's a great feature to reduce a huge flaw in using turbo engines for performance cars. That's the point; it's a flaw.


Quote:
Sure lag is a tradeoff (very minimal at that and even less at the track) but you what you gain is a ton of torque.
Let's be clear: if it was "minimal" there'd be no anti-lag mode. So stop, please.

Re: gain. I agree way more torque. You also lose all the high rpm rush.


Quote:
All cars have tradeoffs. You seem to let the few negative (IMO, almost nonexistent) attributes of the F8X to completely overshadow how much of a leap forward it is as a total package.
I think it's a great car. Just can't imagine going straight from S65 to S55. That's going from a ginger to a brunette. Too drastic: gonna need a blond transition piece!


Quote:
But this thread isn't another F8X vs E9X thread (it's amazing how some people can turn any thread into this stupid debate), it's about one amazing car vs another amazing car.
I need a back seat so in this context I'd choose the Bimmer.

Just wish it was a high revving NA motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #364
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
9596
Rep
8,528
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I agree it's a great feature to reduce a huge flaw in using turbo engines for performance cars. That's the point; it's a flaw.
There are quite a few good performance cars with turbo engines - Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari 458, AMG GT, to name a few. Even Formula One is going turb next year. Not a flaw - just the direction things are going.
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #365
Jockey
Brigadier General
Jockey's Avatar
United_States
1984
Rep
4,401
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SS M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Park City, UT

iTrader: (1)

@Kurt_OH stop, just stop. You're bias is so overwhelming I still can't for the life of me fathom why you spend so much time in the F8X forum.

This isn't a E9X thread. Stop trashing this thread with your nonsense. Last time I looked, the E9X isn't a Cayman GTS. This thread isn't about the E9X.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #366
M3OW
Private First Class
M3OW's Avatar
5
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: Bmw f80 m3 on radar
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
There are quite a few good performance cars with turbo engines - Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari 458, AMG GT, to name a few. Even Formula One is going turb next year. Not a flaw - just the direction things are going.
The 458 italia is turbo charged? This is the first I'm hearing of this. Thanks for your knowledgeable post.
__________________
2015 PORSCHE CAYMAN GTS 6SPD MANUAL ON ORDER
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #367
M3OW
Private First Class
M3OW's Avatar
5
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: Bmw f80 m3 on radar
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

While I agree with most of kurt_oh posts the e9x is simply too fat and heavy for an s65 type motor. If the car was around 3200 pounds it would be a much different story. I for one would love to see a light bmw car with a high revving naturally aspirated motor but unfortunately bimmers these days are just too heavy for this type of motor.
__________________
2015 PORSCHE CAYMAN GTS 6SPD MANUAL ON ORDER
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #368
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
9596
Rep
8,528
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3OW View Post
The 458 italia is turbo charged? This is the first I'm hearing of this. Thanks for your knowledgeable post.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ferrari...tor-show-debut
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #369
daeguboy
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: CayenneV8
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SF bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
There are quite a few good performance cars with turbo engines - Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari 458, AMG GT, to name a few. Even Formula One is going turb next year. Not a flaw - just the direction things are going.
fyi, F1 is turbo right NOW.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #370
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
9596
Rep
8,528
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daeguboy View Post
fyi, F1 is turbo right NOW.
Thanks - lost track of time
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #371
M3OW
Private First Class
M3OW's Avatar
5
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: Bmw f80 m3 on radar
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
Yeah and that car is not out yet and hasn't been driven by anyone but Ferrari. So no one will know how it will stack up against the current 458. I suspect that enthusiast would still favor NA over FI but hey this is the future of cars.
__________________
2015 PORSCHE CAYMAN GTS 6SPD MANUAL ON ORDER
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #372
Homsyboy
Private First Class
51
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: M4 TB/SO
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3OW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
Yeah and that car is not out yet and hasn't been driven by anyone but Ferrari. So no one will know how it will stack up against the current 458. I suspect that enthusiast would still favor NA over FI but hey this is the future of cars.
And it sucks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 02:54 AM   #373
visualguy
Captain
174
Rep
796
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3OW View Post
Total retail price $85,945.00 plus I negotiated a 6% discount off total price.
How did you achieve that? At least in NorCal, the Cayman GTS is not discounted by any meaningful amount. There are more than enough buyers at MSRP for the available allocations.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 03:39 AM   #374
M3OW
Private First Class
M3OW's Avatar
5
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: Bmw f80 m3 on radar
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
How did you achieve that? At least in NorCal, the Cayman GTS is not discounted by any meaningful amount. There are more than enough buyers at MSRP for the available allocations.
Not here in southern Cali, I got a nice discount and couldn't be happier.
__________________
2015 PORSCHE CAYMAN GTS 6SPD MANUAL ON ORDER
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2014 bmw m3, 2014 bmw m3 horsepower, 2014 bmw m3 specs, 2014 bmw m4 horsepower, 2014 bmw m4 specs, 2014 m3, 2014 m3 engine, 2014 m3 forum, 2014 m3 horsepower, 2014 m3 hp, 2014 m3 specs, 2014 m3 weight, 2014 m4 engine, 2014 m4 horsepower, 2014 m4 hp, 2014 m4 specs, 2014 m4 weight, 2015 bmw m3, 2015 bmw m3 specs, 2015 bmw m4, 2015 bmw m4 specs, 2015 m3, 2015 m3 engine, 2015 m3 specs, 2015 m4, 2015 m4 engine, 2015 m4 hp, 2015 m4 specs, 2015 m4 weight, bmw f80, bmw f80 forum, bmw f80 forums, bmw f80 m3, bmw f80 m3 s55, bmw f80 m3 sedan, bmw f82, bmw f82 forum, bmw f82 forums, bmw f82 m3 coupe, bmw f82 m4, bmw f82 m4 coupe, bmw f82 m4 s55, bmw f82 m4 video, bmw f83, bmw f83 m3, bmw f83 m4, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m3 forum, bmw m3 forums, bmw m3 s55, bmw m3 s55 engine, bmw m4, bmw m4 coupe, bmw m4 coupe forum, bmw m4 forum, bmw m4 forums, bmw m4 horsepower, bmw m4 hp, bmw m4 redline, bmw m4 rev limit, bmw m4 rev limiter, bmw m4 weight, f80 m3, f82 m4

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST