R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Closed Thread

04-09-2022, 08:34 PM   #45
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
On my stock F80 running E85 contaminated my oil within 2K miles, you could smell moonshine when you opened the fill cap. I guess some engines have more blow by than others. My OCC also collected a lot of catch.

Motul 300V race oil has great shear protection but little additives to protect from contamination. I can see why they ask to change it often. I get mine free from FCPEuro.
You bring up an excellent point, frequency depends as some motors blow by more than others and oil sampling becomes beneficial to determine frequency or in your case the smell. An OCC is a must, TopJimmy moonshine
Once my car is out of warranty, I'll give FCP a try for oil changes (already bought EU5's and plugs). The more research I do, I'm leaning towards Garrett G35-900 or Borg single turbo and forgo hybrids.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5458.50
      04-09-2022, 09:06 PM   #46
xMegaMan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3(E92),BMW M4(F82)

Lots of different variables on both ends.... Yes OP should've been more cautious on tune (boost levels) but at the end of the day if im paying a reputable tuner and using the best set of turbos and they blow with 1k miles I hope to the manufacture would replace it. Tell me im a dumb a** and have me pay shipping cost whatever. To fork up another 2,*** gawd da**. None the less Kratos is replying and throwing some data but they should've just taken the L and kept it pushing.Call me an idiot idc, im just saying my .02 cents.

Last edited by xMegaMan; 04-09-2022 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Fixing the use of foul language
Appreciate 3
RodF8222.50
Kilabyte3948.00
      04-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #47
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodF82 View Post
All their payments are through wire transfer or Venmo. No protection for the buyer.
this is the part i'm hung up the most on. :insert red flag emoji:
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 01:44 PM   #48
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioMeth View Post
Quote:
All their payments are through wire transfer or Venmo. No protection for the buyer.
Ehhhhh a lot of people try and scam on the customer side and they are providing a service. PayPal isn't known to be the most friendly when it comes to service based transactions.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 06:16 PM   #49
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioMeth View Post
Quote:
I bought my Kratos through X-PH and paid by credit card. Mike handled the middle man business and buyer protection.
      04-10-2022, 07:14 PM   #50
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

This kind of reminds me of when my motor blew up due to hardware/tuner negligence, ended up fully building another motor many years ago. I don't quite remember but I think it came close to 30-40k when all was said and done. Good times! Ha.

As some stated, I think two parties brought up good points but none provided concrete evidence. I think if they met in the middle, it would have been clean.

This might not help but I recommend not letting this hang over you and stress you because it probably isn't worth it in grand scheme of things.

Best wishes!
15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 1
RodF8222.50
      04-10-2022, 08:36 PM   #51
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

That exhaust was hot! You shouldn't see much timing correction if you are running ethanol. Port injection complicates this whole process also as the ECU doesn't see it. What do your plugs look like? I didn't see any actual knock on those logs, but it was definitely pulling some timing...

Those valves won't take that kind of heat very long...
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/

Last edited by sly1types; 04-10-2022 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #52
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I bought my Kratos through X-PH and paid by credit card. Mike handled the middle man business and buyer protection.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 05:46 PM   #53
beezyM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

It's a manufacturer defect that gets exploited by a few typical and few not sontypical user error. I had a similar issues blade came off shot thru exhaust etc .kratos I had same run around etc 2 months down etc. you pay to play. Brand new design etc is gonna have flaws. My car was down for around 2'months got turbos back car is perfectly fine. Then another car at my shop had same issues. We are conservative tuned thru f80paul. My shop has 4-6 kratos cars 3 or 4 on evos. I'm not bad mouthing kratos so i I don't need a super long scientific response from you guys.id buy kratos again. Matter of fact make some s58'turbos please
      06-03-2022, 10:37 PM   #54
RodF82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Turbos were re-installed. Reached out to Carry for a revision of the tune and to take a good look a the EGTs. Let me know what you guys think of the logs. Maybe Kratos can chime in

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6284...90c61fd35b6835

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6284...729b32d4346e78
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 06:31 AM   #55
beezyM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezyM2C View Post
It's a manufacturer defect that gets exploited by a few typical and few not sontypical user error. I had a similar issues blade came off shot thru exhaust etc .kratos I had same run around etc 2 months down etc. you pay to play. Brand new design etc is gonna have flaws. My car was down for around 2'months got turbos back car is perfectly fine. Then another car at my shop had same issues. We are conservative tuned thru f80paul. My shop has 4-6 kratos cars 3 or 4 on evos. I'm not bad mouthing kratos so i I don't need a super long scientific response from you guys.id buy kratos again. Matter of fact make some s58'turbos please
My 4k da #s slowboy with the slow sauce
      08-15-2022, 04:53 PM   #56
RodF82
Private
Rep

I received the rebuilt turbos from Kratos and had them re-installed. Immediately Carry took a look at the logs and sent a revision. He assured me that the EGTs were fine with the tune.

The car drove fine until ~750 miles....

After a pull the car started misfiring like crazy. My first guess was that I may have a blown injector or spark plug. So I took it to the shop and they pulled the DP to see a blown turbo.

I had the turbos removed and purchased a set of Pure Turbos the next day. Accepting some risk, I installed the Pure turbos without a tune and then drove +1000 miles just to see if they would fail too. They didn't..

I traded the Kratos turbos to another forum member. That member inquired about the box that the turbos originally came in.

The same box that I shipped the turbos back to Kratos, I did not receive back as mentioned in the original post. Kratos said that the box was in extremely bad shape when they received it. After all these months that's the answer I finally received today. This makes no sense because I put the box inside another which is the same way that Kratos ships the turbos themselves! Why is the Box an issue?? Because Kratos says the box is extremely expensive costs them more than $250.

So all in all don't buy their product if you want quality customer service and product.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-16-2022, 05:21 AM   #57
TheMaster1971NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
I received the rebuilt turbos from Kratos and had them re-installed. Immediately Carry took a look at the logs and sent a revision. He assured me that the EGTs were fine with the tune.

After a pull the car started misfiring like crazy. My first guess was that I may have a blown injector or spark plug. So I took it to the shop and they pulled the DP to see a blown turbo.

I had the turbos removed and purchased a set of Pure Turbos the next day. Accepting some risk, I installed the Pure turbos without a tune and then drove +1000 miles just to see if they would fail too. They didn't..

I traded the Kratos turbos to another forum member. That member inquired about the box that the turbos originally came in.

The same box that I shipped the turbos back to Kratos, I did not receive back as mentioned in the original post. Kratos said that the box was in extremely bad shape when they received it. After all these months that's the answer I finally received today. This makes no sense because I put the box inside another which is the same way that Kratos ships the turbos themselves! Why is the Box an issue?? Because Kratos says the box is extremely expensive costs them more than $250.

So all in all don't buy their product if you want quality customer service and product.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #58
Joy15779
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

I' m also VERY frustrated with this equipment.....

I was in a very positive mood coming from an excellent STAGE 2 (Eventuri intake, akrapovic skat, plasma coils, cooler sparkles, Biesse Racing excellent map 555 HP, 720 Nm torque), I had the most egoistic idea to purchase: Kratos turbo, Mishimoto IC, Mishimoto water / oil extra cooler, full crank hub, Dodson clutch 1000 Nm (the 900 nm burned 3500 euro!!), DORCH gas pump) just for not having the car/components for several months. Kratos delayed very big, ECU by HCP the rev 0 has been given in March, about 680 ho, 750 nm torque!!!!!! and awful drivability means car dead from 1500 rpm up to 5800. after that it start fly but... AN AUDI RS3 stock was faster...
I asked Halin minimum 50 times to fine tune/adjust the REV 0 in order to achieve "at least "800 hp and 850 nm but he NEVER REPLY. NEVER AND EVER....very frustrated. Spoiled over 15k euros for this stage 3 where it has same power of previous stage 2 with much less drivability. Turbo lag is horrible compared with stock turbo and....this is the story, till waiting for the tent promise to check the file, really HORRIBLE

PS: Running at 26 PSI...in the ass kick above 5800 rpm
Appreciate 1
RodF8222.50
      08-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #59
RodF82
Private
Rep

@Joy15779 I was also satisfied with my stage 2 flex fuel tune. But wanted to take it to another level with the Kratos Turbos.

Got all the supporting mods etc. just for the turbos to fail on me twice. Which was money down the drain and months without my car.

Carry tuned mine and the car pulled great while the Turbos were working. I gappped an Audi RS3 that had mods easily. I hear great things about Halim tunes but I have also heard that it's difficult to get in contact with him.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 04:22 PM   #60
Joy15779
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
@Joy15779 I was also satisfied with my stage 2 flex fuel tune. But wanted to take it to another level with the Kratos Turbos.

Got all the supporting mods etc. just for the turbos to fail on me twice. Which was money down the drain and months without my car.

Carry tuned mine and the car pulled great while the Turbos were working. I gappped an Audi RS3 that had mods easily. I hear great things about Halim tunes but I have also heard that it's difficult to get in contact with him.
Exactly dear... I forgot M5 Injectors.. HUGE amount of money drain and car stop, lotta problems, that burned the first clutch and didn't get money back...

But, Bottom Line, End of the day, I am pretty sure this configuration will unleash EASILY 850 Nm and 800 HP. I am just waiting the never-ending story with Halim.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #61
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Guys, I'm tuning EVOs with F80Paul and I'm down to a 10.0s 1/4mi dragstrip run. When I needed advice from Kratos I emailed and they responded. Needless to say, Paul's customer service is top notch.

I am fully built, E85 PI, Dorch lift kit and EU5s, LPFP, Dodson and DSS. Going for small brakes and bead lock slicks, to try and put all the power down.

Be patient, you'll get there.
      12-25-2022, 05:49 PM   #62
Joy15779
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Now I am back.
Carillo pistons and arrow rods (2000hp),plus reinforced bearings.

I m pretty sure to have chance to increase boost at least 2.0 bar. Otherwise the pure turbos option was cheaper and better as I m daily drive an2 competition pure turbos stage 3 at 750. Let's wait for Halim Inshallah
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 05:51 PM   #63
e904thewin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 white, Built F80

deleting

Last edited by e904thewin; 02-13-2023 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: deleting
Appreciate 1
RodF8222.50
      02-10-2023, 08:21 AM   #64
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: The Spirit of Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by e904thewin View Post
bumping a thread..due to my experience with Kratos. So long story short they've had my turbos' for almost 4 months now and it's beyond frustrating trying to get a status update. At this point their customer service is absolutely appalling. Kratos was the go to for a lot of folks but i'll tell you this. If a set of turbos can't last more than 5k miles without a failure on a low/med boost setup with very safe/conservative tune..low egt's etc. the quality of the material is not much better than their customer service. We will see if they end up responding but at this point I feel it may be better to dump them.
We're sorry to hear that you feel you're having a bad experience with our customer service. However, the first email we ever received from you was yesterday and we have never had any communication with you previous to that. We responded to your email and requested that you email us your RMA# or Serial# since you are not listed as one of our customers and we have no idea who you are or which turbos you're referring to. We don't understand why you chose to ignore our email response to help you and instead decided it was in your best interest to come onto the forum after the fact and speak negatively about our company and our customer service when we have never had any communication with you prior to the only email we ever received from you yesterday. There are a number of reasons as to why you could've had a turbo failure as well as many different types of failures that can occur. Although, failures can be related to the manufacturing process in which case you would be covered under our warranty, they can also be related to user error. Having said that, casting aspersions about our customer service and quality of our turbos without providing any of the content we mentioned doesn't bode well for your assertions about our company. Below is our response to your email and possible explanation as to why your turbo rebuilds would have taken longer than our typical turn around time. We would still like to help you, but this isn't the way to do it. Please respond back to our email so we can help rectify the issue for you.

"Good Morning, we apologize for your rebuild delay as our typical turn around time for standard rebuilds is 2-3 weeks. However, if your rebuilds required bearing carrier replacements, this could be the reason as to why it has taken much longer. Unfortunately, we were backordered on our raw materials supplier delivery to machine our ball bearing carriers for quite some time. Under normal circumstances we usually receive our raw materials delivery within a couple of weeks of placing our orders. However, a large majority of raw materials suppliers have been way behind schedule in almost every industry when it comes to materials such as stainless and forged billet ingots. As a result, this creates major delays for us in production that are unfortunately out of our control. Although, we have exaplained this delay to all of our customers, shops, and dealers that have sent in turbos for rebuilds that required ball bearing carriers replacements.

The good news is that we did receive our raw materials delivery and we are currently machining our ball bearing carriers. The machine process for our ball bearing carriers has a couple of different operations as part of the machining process and we have been told by our Production Staff that the machining process is almost completed. We're assuming this is why your rebuilds have been delayed since there is no other reason why a standard rebuild would have taken this long. Can you please tell us the serial number for your turbos, RMA#, or name of the shop that sent them in for service? Once we have this information we can provide you with an update on your rebuild status and ship date. We look forward to hearing back from you."
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 11:29 AM   #65
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
I guess this is why everyone has pure 🤷🏼‍♂️

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 06:39 PM   #66
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:

I was waiting to find a picture of this angle, and I just see them here on the third page, you can not worry, the problem is poor quality of the turbine wheel, the same thing that happens with pure turbos and many others.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread