Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #45
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
This is very common in UK if you read the F30 regional forum that is very active.
Ive read about this too :/ This way of stealing the car using electronics to bypass the FOB. Infuriating.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #46
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwolfe View Post
I looked into buying a Faraday bag but discovered that the sugar bowl in my sterling silver tea set works perfectly. Both fobs rest there overnight.
haha i keep mine in the cat's litter box.....
      09-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #47
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I think i need one of these faraday contraptions...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #48
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Aluminum tin foil...that's what you need.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #49
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
and here I was just thinking "I really shouldn't just leave a pile of BMW fobs by the door." Maybe stuffing the GTS fob in a bag wouldn't be the worst idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #50
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob123 View Post
It's sickening to read this and it's long past time the manufacturers got there act together to make vehicles more secure.
I'm a great believer in cut off switches in multiple systems and a good disclock or a dirty pair of underpants over your steering wheel. This way there's nothing to hack electronically and the scrotes would hopefully clear off.
With all these available "Options", one would think all of these automobile manufacturers would make security a priority. Right???
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 02:12 AM   #51
AO08BAS
Private
Rep
Drives: TR G80 Comp

Hello guys another update.

I have been going around digging up whatever I can find and now have been able to get to the exact time my car was stolen. 1:35am.. I was able to guess to a degree the route out of my area that was taken and noticed a few houses with CCTV. I have now gotten some images of the car being driven out of the road next to mine and then onto the main road out.

These B4stds even used the indicators when leaving the area lol at 1am and driving with perfect etiquette??? But thanks to that I was able to see the direction they took. I have handed all this info over to the police who made me aware that 2 other M3 ZCPs were taken the two nights before with one being recovered a few hours later after a police chase and they believe its the same group that have taken my car.

The police also contacted BMW who have told them that they can not guarantee with any real conviction the location provided to users by their connected app again lol what? So they are basically saying it's useless. The officer looking after my case has said he will contact BMW Germany to get more info on this.

I have now slowly started to realise seeing my car again might not happen. The insurance have told me it will take " a couple of months" to settle my claim. So I have tentatively started to map in my mind what spec I want for my next M car....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #52
jimbob123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82 m4

This is the solution.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50
      09-26-2019, 02:28 AM   #53
AO08BAS
Private
Rep

Update for anyone who is still following my thread and hopefully lessons to avoid this situation yourselves.

Insurance has now offered me a settlement figure almost at my remaining lease value. Might have to go back and forth a few times to get the actual value of the car but its not far off from what was left on the car. I would rather not have to go via GAP for such a small amount also the principle of the whole claim that I would expect them to pay me market value not mug me off since I put a large deposit down on the car only 8 months ago.

Police have kept me up to date with almost daily messages which has been surprising! They have told me they know the group that most likely had taken my car. Given me info on methods they use to steal cars and what they do with them. Apparently on the same night my car was taken they also took 2 other M3's within 20miles of my house.

They called yesterday to say they'd made an arrest and believe this was one of the people who stole my car. They found a pic on his phone of him trying to sell some power tools I had left in the car as well as what they believe was a pic of my car. My car was taken at 1:30am this pic was time stamped at 3:30am and they noted that the car was already stripped of its doors and side panels LOL.

Lastly I have asked the police how can I stop these scumbags stealing my next car and sadly it seems they are soo advanced now that its very hard to stop them. The police advised drilling a pedal security box into the car.

I was told things like Ghost Alarms can be bypassed by the latest devices thieves have and they have at least 3 methods to clone any key for a keyless car from a distance of 60meters. Also the signal blocking pouches are somewhat effective but not 100%

Hope my rather unfortunate story serves as a lesson for others especially in the UK and we secure our cars better going forwards.
Appreciate 6
      09-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #54
M4fosho
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

That's actually refreshing to hear that the police kept you up to date. Here in the states I'm not certain they will even show up to your doorstep to file a report, much less follow up.
Appreciate 3
      10-07-2019, 05:43 AM   #55
AO08BAS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4fosho View Post
That's actually refreshing to hear that the police kept you up to date. Here in the states I'm not certain they will even show up to your doorstep to file a report, much less follow up.
Overall aside from the first week when I was totally heartbroken about what had happened, luckily it wasn't as bad as I expected.
The saddest moment was posting off my set of keys as that to me was like burying the car lol.

Final update on this saga is that my insurance has come to their senses and paid me now the actual value of the car. This means I have come out of this financially at break even plus pretty much my deposit back from 7 months ago.

Now I am having first world problems of if I should get an 2019 F80 or see if I can get a killer deal on a CS... I did consider just going G80 but with over a year most likely until that car is in my budget I can't survive with my 320d touring lol.
Appreciate 1
lukej387.00
      10-07-2019, 06:21 AM   #56
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeCP View Post
Overall aside from the first week when I was totally heartbroken about what had happened, luckily it wasn't as bad as I expected.
The saddest moment was posting off my set of keys as that to me was like burying the car lol.

Final update on this saga is that my insurance has come to their senses and paid me now the actual value of the car. This means I have come out of this financially at break even plus pretty much my deposit back from 7 months ago.

Now I am having first world problems of if I should get an 2019 F80 or see if I can get a killer deal on a CS... I did consider just going G80 but with over a year most likely until that car is in my budget I can't survive with my 320d touring lol.
That’s good the insurance company is coming around, Now you can move on to a new M ..
Just be thankful no one was hurt and the car will be replaced,,

I had a similar situation except after a month I got the car back and I felt at that time that wasn’t a good thing because I had no idea how hard they ran the car or anything ,,ended up selling the car taking a big loss because the car had the stigma of showing it was stolen and then reported recovered on the Carfax that was on a BMW 640 that I used own. Feel fortunate that the insurance is covering your full loss.

Good luck on your new hunt!

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #57
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
The police would only look into this was a donut truck stolen.
I hope that's supposed to be a joke, because it's really offensive to those of us who are/were law-enforcement officers.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #58
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
The police would only look into this was a donut truck stolen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
I hope that's supposed to be a joke, because it's really offensive to those of us who are/were law-enforcement officers.
The theft took place in London; it would have to be a doughnut truck.
"There are two common spellings of the dessert; doughnut and donut.

The former is considered the UK spelling and the latter the Americanised version."
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/fo...rican-english/

Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #59
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

"mmmmm, donuts."-Homer Simpson
Appreciate 4
      10-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #60
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
"mmmmm, donuts."-Homer Simpson
I love either donuts or doughnuts.
Appreciate 1
SMGCFP583.00
      10-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #61
m4mehdi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 - 2019 X4 M40i

Terrible to hear, I know the car can be replaced and you are lucky that nobody was hurt. It's a bad feeling when someone steals from you, to me it feels as if someone has violated something sacred. Sorry for your loss.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:38 AM   #62
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post
I love either donuts or doughnuts.
Should add that the donut, in the US, is the round one with the hole that is glazed and doughnuts, in the UK, you get the whole thing and its filled with Jam (or jelly as you call it!).

Glad the police have kept you up to date! hope you get your settlement sorted
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #63
tatkins
Longhornmom1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4 Convertible

Garage List
I’m so sorry to hear about your car. I had my E80 stolen from the dealership while they were doing scheduled maintenance. They left it outside with the key in the ignition. Keep the faith. I was the one who found my car 18 days later and blocked it. Guy was arrested and I made the dealership tow it and fix everything back to factory new. Make your insurance pay one way or the other!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:41 PM   #64
OzcarM3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

My M3 was also taken 13 months ago using the same method. I have security cameras at home and could clearly see how it was carried out.

There is a way to find the vehicle and my vehicle was found. In my case, the police put pressure on BMW Australia and were handed the details of the SIM card installed in the car. 48 hours later the police had located the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #65
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Knew this was in western Europe even before I read where the OP was located. Vehicle was likely dismantled within hours, or on its way to eastern Europe.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #66
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

So sorry to hear that OP. As others have said, it's what insurance is for and although unfortunate you'll get through it and hopefully find bigger and better things ahead.

I had a neighbor who's camera caught someone getting into multiple cars on the street (checking them out for loot, not stealing them) with what appeared to be a handheld device.

After years of wireless fobs, my GT3 uses a true old-school key and I don't miss the convenience of wireless. With all the hacking devices out there today, I'd actually opt for a physical key moving forward.