GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

08-08-2016, 03:48 AM   #1
tn002
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SSII F80 M3 MY2017

Hi All. I'm not so new as I've been following this forum since the beginning of this year. I've learnt a lot about the F80/F82 more than any BMW website.

I have previously owned an E87 118i M Sport & F30 328i M Sport. Both cars looked great aesthetically, but the 118i lacked performance and the 328i lacked the engine performance notes of the V6 E90 330i it replaced. Also it became too common especially Estorill Blue. I've always dreamt of owning an M3 but never thought I would actually get it. Well after much deliberation, reading the forums, test driving both the F80 & F82 I decided to take the plunge and get the F80. As with most, there were a lot of decisions to be made afterwards like: new vs used, color, options etc.

I looked at CPO & the pricing is quite high in relation to mileage (a good sign that the value holds up more than the std 3/4 series). Also one would never know how the car was driven by the previous owner. I therefore decided new is the way to go as I get exactly what I want and its not much more price wise than the CPO ones I saw.

I went with the F80 as I was used to the 4 door sedan and its more practical than the F82. Granted the M4 has a sleaker silhouette, but those flared rear wheel arches of the F80 is sexier. I had a fascination for tanzanite blue for a long time, but considering the extra cost, maintenance & the car will be my DD I decided against it. I was then stuck between YMB, MW & SSII. I went with SSII after seeing it in the flesh. Its shade changes depending on the light conditions. I agree it shows the lines of the car the best its no ordinary silver, its exclusive to the ///M.

I then decided on the following specs:
- 19" black wheels
- DCT
- Carbon interior trim
- Driving assist
- HK surround system (granted it is not out of this world, but it is way better than BMW standard sound system & I had it on my 328i)
- Remote services (I am a sucker for controlling things remotely. Didn't care too much with the rest of the connected drive package).
- Black extended leather (i know there's a debate of extended vs full, but I think extended does look quite good)
- Surround view.

So all excited on my choices, I go to a dealer recommended by my mate & got a great discount. So he told me to sign the RTP and pay a deposit (he said it was non refundable regardless of what happens & it shows intent that I'm not messing around). So I did as he said & boy did I regret it. I was told I would get a production order number within 2 weeks. Time went by & it was 4 weeks and still nothing. He kept saying they still waiting for allocation. Now I was really pissed cos he didn't tell me that allocations would be an issue (typical sales person pushed for me to sign RTP and pay deposit, but all I had was a useless piece of paper).

After nearly 7 weeks I had had enough and decided to take matters in my own hands. I approached other dealers and a few had allocations, but most didn't give discounts. I found 1 that really tried to help me. After explaining my predicament she managed to match my deal with the other and threw in some extras. I then cancelled the RTP and requested my deposit from the other dealer. I thought they were going to give me hassles, but they didn't. The manager said he understood & apologized saying if he was in my shoes he would've done the same. It also turns out no where in writing did it state that the deposit I paid was non refundable so I was lucky I guess. My lesson don't sign anything or pay any deposit if a dealer has no allocation as you might end up waiting a long time.

After that ordeal my new order went through on 18 July. It is scheduled to finish production this week (week 33). Woo hoo. Can't wait for it to arrive as now I know it's really coming this time.
Appreciate 1
'Cane8516.00
      08-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn002 View Post
So all excited on my choices, I go to a dealer recommended by my mate & got a great discount. So he told me to sign the RTP and pay a deposit (he said it was non refundable regardless of what happens & it shows intent that I'm not messing around). So I did as he said & boy did I regret it. I was told I would get a production order number within 2 weeks. Time went by & it was 4 weeks and still nothing. He kept saying they still waiting for allocation. Now I was really pissed cos he didn't tell me that allocations would be an issue (typical sales person pushed for me to sign RTP and pay deposit, but all I had was a useless piece of paper). [...] My lesson don't sign anything or pay any deposit if a dealer has no allocation as you might end up waiting a long time.
Indeed.

A sales contract without an allocation and a production # that a dealer is willing to dedicate to you, is sales of empty air.

OP - congrats on finding a way out of this quandary, and have fun with your new toy!

a
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Congrats on the order...I am in the same boat as you, just waiting patiently for my car to come in
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
DE Urlaub
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '71 Pinzgauer 710K

Congrats and welcome. I just p/u an SSII on ED and LOVE it! Post pix when you get it and............have fun!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
NavyBeeker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 SS/SS - 19SepED

Yes, congrats and welcome to out slightly obsessed group of enthusiasts! I have a SS/SS F80 myself coming for ED on 9/19!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
Dr. Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Hey,

On Behalf of Me,

Congratulations & Welcome!!

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 04:50 AM   #7
tn002
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SSII F80 M3 MY2017

Thanks Guys. The vehicle completed production on 16 Aug. It has a long journey so expecting delivery early Oct. It has been hard trying to curb my obsession as I used to spend almost every minute of spare time researching, reading the forums etc. I also realized that checking the tracking points of the vehicle every day is not going to make it move any quicker so I try to do it once a week only (as 1 forum member also mentioned). Congrats and good luck to those that are also waiting "patiently" for their F8x's.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
DE Urlaub
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '71 Pinzgauer 710K

Don't fight it, i.e. "curbing your obsession" or it will only get worse! Embrace it!!!!!!
Appreciate 0