R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Thumbs up Turner Motorsport Dual-Mount Diff Plate w/ ECS Poly Bushings

Update from ECS: Target ETA is around middle of May.

These kits are currently on backorder with no definite ETA. However, I was fortunate to receive an early unit thanks to @SeanBergen. He made a promise to have one delivered by March/April back in February, and he did everything within his power to make things happen!

Product Link: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...026773tms03kt/

I was set on adding a few coats of high temp spray paint prior to delivery, but I'm actually quite impressed with the raw billet aluminum finish after putting my hands on the brace. Now I'm debating on whether I should proceed with painting or leaving things as is.

This kit will be paired with AKG polyurethane engine/transmission mounts, along with DSS reinforced axles. The goal is to eliminate as much drivetrain slop as possible, while keeping the suspension soft for drag racing purposes.

I will provide more feedback and photos once they're installed.
Attached Images

Last edited by FriedPiston; 06-03-2020 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Nice, I would suggest getting it anodized.
Looks like the production version comes anodized from the pics on their website.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Nice, I would suggest getting it anodized.
Looks like the production version comes anodized from the pics on their website.
I thought about getting it professionally anodized, but aluminum is highly resistant to corrosion (including acids) when not submerged in water for a prolonged time.

I'm leaning towards just giving it a quick spray using self-etching primer and high temp paint for added protection.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 MG F80 M3

Any update on this? Interested in the AKG motor mounts and transmission mounts as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm expecting the car to be ready sometime next month, so I'm hoping to have an update by then.
Appreciate 1
Shadow2121.00
      06-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I have the Powerflex Street (purple) diff bushings (front and rear position) with the turner dual rear mount plate.

One thing I am noticing is a loud clunk from the rear that is audible when I am driving and lightly tap the gas pedal on and off with just enough pressure to send a bit of load, but not enough pressure to where the car surges forward. I found that I can replicate it easy in 3rd around 25mph and 5th at 45 mph. The noise is pretty loud and sounds like something hitting the rear of the car underneath.

Curious if you notice anything similar or any clunk noises with your car and the ECS mounts. I went with the powerflex street bushings to minimize NVH, and believe they are softer than these ECS bushings. Mine is DCT as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

My car will do the clunk thing from going on throttle to off throttle in 3rd and 4th especially if it's in Sport+ and I think all my bushings are stock or have been replaced by the recall.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #8
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
I have the Powerflex Street (purple) diff bushings (front and rear position) with the turner dual rear mount plate.

One thing I am noticing is a loud clunk from the rear that is audible when I am driving and lightly tap the gas pedal on and off with just enough pressure to send a bit of load, but not enough pressure to where the car surges forward. I found that I can replicate it easy in 3rd around 25mph and 5th at 45 mph. The noise is pretty loud and sounds like something hitting the rear of the car underneath.

Curious if you notice anything similar or any clunk noises with your car and the ECS mounts. I went with the powerflex street bushings to minimize NVH, and believe they are softer than these ECS bushings. Mine is DCT as well.
I have the exact same issue in my 2017 m3 zcp, I can make it happen every time I lift off the gas and hit the pedal again, the noise is from the rear somewhere
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballer123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post

I have the exact same issue in my 2017 m3 zcp, I can make it happen every time I lift off the gas and hit the pedal again, the noise is from the rear somewhere
What diff bushings do you have?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

I am on factory bushings, only 20,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #11
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Sorry to side jack the thread. I've had inconsistent funky noises from the rear as well although I've been unable to reproduce it consistently. It does seem to happen more often when I have passengers in the car. I'm on stock bushings. I had written it off as "normal M noises" but it still bugs me every time it happens. And my warranty runs out in 700 miles!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #12
Alexander13.
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP Ind.

any updates or reports on this kit?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #13
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The shop installed my kit with no reported fitment issues. Also no reported issues after a break in test drive except for a leaking brand new DSS reinforced axle.

I had a lot of mechanical items changed (about 80% of the engine/accessories are new), so it may be impossible to provide an accurate before and after feedback with this particular addition. The increased NVH from the AKG polyurethane engine/transmission mounts alone are overwhelmingly noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 11:36 PM   #14
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've driven my car for about 600+ miles since taking her back home roughly 2 weeks ago. One thing I noticed right away was a loud thud coming from the rear when shifting gears -- this includes going into Reverse or 1st gear from a cold start. I also hear whining noise during acceleration, which I mistakenly thought was coming from the transmission.

Keep in mind, I had AKG polyurethane engine/transmission mounts, along with DSS axles installed all at the same time. This is in addition to the Dodson Sportman clutch pack that I also had serviced, which is now tuned with xHP Stage 3.

Up until today, I assumed that the noises I've been hearing were due to the polyurethane mounts. However, I received confirmation from another enthusiast, who recently got this kit installed by itself, that the noises are actually coming from the Turner Motorsport dual diff brace kit with polyurethane bushings.

This is not a deal breaker by any means, but just for informational purposes. I actually enjoy driving my car a lot more despite the increased cabin noise. The car feels a lot more planted, especially with a proper 325/30/19 PS4S tire setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:37 AM   #15
Alexander13.
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP Ind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
I've driven my car for about 600+ miles since taking her back home roughly 2 weeks ago. One thing I noticed right away was a loud thud coming from the rear when shifting gears -- this includes going into Reverse or 1st gear from a cold start. I also hear whining noise during acceleration, which I mistakenly thought was coming from the transmission.

Keep in mind, I had AKG polyurethane engine/transmission mounts, along with DSS axles installed all at the same time. This is in addition to the Dodson Sportman clutch pack that I also had serviced, which is now tuned with xHP Stage 3.

Up until today, I assumed that the noises I've been hearing were due to the polyurethane mounts. However, I received confirmation from another enthusiast, who recently got this kit installed by itself, that the noises are actually coming from the Turner Motorsport dual diff brace kit with polyurethane bushings.

This is not a deal breaker by any means, but just for informational purposes. I actually enjoy driving my car a lot more despite the increased cabin noise. The car feels a lot more planted, especially with a proper 325/30/19 PS4S tire setup.
Shouldn't the turner kit remove the loud 'thud" when selecting gears?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 01:53 AM   #16
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander13. View Post
Shouldn't the turner kit remove the loud 'thud" when selecting gears?
When selecting gears while the vehicle is moving, or while being stationary?

Either way, the kit makes the thud and whining more pronounced. This is the case with my experience, as well as, another enthusiast's.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #17
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
When selecting gears while the vehicle is moving, or while being stationary?

Either way, the kit makes the thud and whining more pronounced. This is the case with my experience, as well as, another enthusiast's.
I installed this kit about 2 weeks ago. I don’t have any gear selection thud, only a bit of increased diff noise, and some whine when decelerating in 5th. I already had a lightweight flywheel that makes noise on its own, and the increase is hardly noticeable above that. Definitely recommended.
      11-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #18
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
I installed this kit about 2 weeks ago. I don’t have any gear selection thud, only a bit of increased diff noise, and some whine when decelerating in 5th. I already had a lightweight flywheel that makes noise on its own, and the increase is hardly noticeable above that. Definitely recommended.
That's interesting. It may be worth noting your transmission type, as that may be the difference factor.

The gear selection thud is noticeable with two DCT cars, so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #19
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
That's interesting. It may be worth noting your transmission type, as that may be the difference factor.

DCT here as well with the turner plate and powerflex purple bushings front and rear, and I get the clunk. The 6MT cars with the same setup I have heard, don't have any clunk.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #20
jtl12
Rep
Drives: F80

Any one install the ECS version of the bushing or any compassion between Powerflex vs ECS
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #21
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

good point, 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl12 View Post
Any one install the ECS version of the bushing or any compassion between Powerflex vs ECS
Mine was the full ECS kit like the original post
      11-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #22
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl12 View Post
ECS is 95a durometer rating. I went with the powerflex street which is 80a durometer. Higher the stiffer.
Appreciate 2