Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #837
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Just wanted to say hi, and that this is a really great thread with a lot of useful information. Thanks guys, can't wait for my first track day next week.
      09-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #838
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
Just wanted to say hi, and that this is a really great thread with a lot of useful information. Thanks guys, can't wait for my first track day next week.
Where is your first track day? Looks like you’re in SoCal.

Have a blast!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #839
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Quote:
Where is your first track day? Looks like you’re in SoCal.

Have a blast!
Auto club speedway.
jmg18703.50
      10-02-2020, 11:51 PM   #840
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Auto club speedway.
Signed up for Sunday, praying for good weather < 100°
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #841
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Signed up for Sunday, praying for good weather < 100°
Jealous about those with never-ending track seasons! But at least I get time to try sewing the hole in my wallet for next half year while trying to be oblivious about this hobby.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #842
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Had such a great time yesterday, spun out twice taking the corner too fast. Didn't have any problems with my brakes. I need to learn the lines, and work on my braking. The car was great, I was a little disappointed with my PS4S tires around the corner, seemed to rolled. Over all lots of fun. Can't wait to tell the next time. What would be the best tires and size, if I was to use my 437 wheels as a track set up? Thanks
Attached Images

jmg18703.50
fanatic11018.50
      10-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #843
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Had such a great time yesterday, spun out twice taking the corner too fast. Didn't have any problems with my brakes. I need to learn the lines, and work on my braking. The car was great, I was a little disappointed with my PS4S tires around the corner, seemed to rolled. Over all lots of fun. Can't wait to tell the next time. What would be the best tires and size, if I was to use my 437 wheels as a track set up? Thanks
I recommend RE71 in oem sizes

You will need camber plates no matter what
Appreciate 1
Jbonly211081.50
      10-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #844
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome! Were they running the roval or just infield yesterday? Which turns did you spin on? What pressure were you running hot? PS4S will not last long on factory camber.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #845
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Have you tried the 285's on our 20" rear CS wheels? I'm wondering if I should just stick these on my street wheels instead of getting a whole other set of 18's with Nittos.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #846
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
Jealous about those with never-ending track seasons! But at least I get time to try sewing the hole in my wallet for next half year while trying to be oblivious about this hobby.
Haha, ordering more tires as we speak

You should make the trip down at some point this winter, they’re going to close auto club speedway and make the whole track area smaller. Not that anyone’s gonna cry over that one, but Laguna has challenges as well. No one’s talking about closing Laguna (yet), but more restrictions are being discussed.

On the bright side, CVR/Chuckwalla was repaved over the summer.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #847
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Have you tried the 285's on our 20" rear CS wheels? I'm wondering if I should just stick these on my street wheels instead of getting a whole other set of 18's with Nittos.
On the CS I think the only sizes available are 265 front and 295 rear. Fits just fine.
I would stick to that setup. No need for the cost/complexity of a dedicated setup
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:00 PM   #848
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You should make the trip down at some point this winter, they're going to close auto club speedway and make the whole track area smaller. Not that anyone's gonna cry over that one, but Laguna has challenges as well. No one's talking about closing Laguna (yet), but more restrictions are being discussed.

You are right, this is the last year for the roval, I plan on going back in December.
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome! Were they running the roval or just infield yesterday? Which turns did you spin on? What pressure were you running hot? PS4S will not last long on factory camber.
We was running roval. My tires pressure was set at 30 psi.
Quote:
Quote:

I am on the 19 " stock wheels. I am in the same position, I am looking to buy some new wheels, I don't know if a track wheels set is worth it, I am only track maybe 3 times a year.
      10-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #849
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You should make the trip down at some point this winter, they're going to close auto club speedway and make the whole track area smaller. Not that anyone's gonna cry over that one, but Laguna has challenges as well. No one's talking about closing Laguna (yet), but more restrictions are being discussed.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am on the 19 " stock wheels.
30 PSI hot on PS4S for a 3800lbs vehicle with driver? I think that's really low and the cause for the roll over (of course camber plates would help) but that's not a firm sidewall tire.
      10-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #850
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

30 PSI hot on PS4S for a 3800lbs vehicle with driver? I think that's really low and the cause for the roll over (of course camber plates would help) but that's not a firm sidewall tire.
It's was 30 psi cold, after each session it was about 38 psi hot.
      10-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #851
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That sounds right then Easier to speak from hot temp pressures.
      10-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #852
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol yeah 30 hot would have caused some issues. 38 hot is at the upper range of what I shoot for. I haven't done the roval yet but I understand it puts a lot of stress to the tires and suspension.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #853
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol yeah 30 hot would have caused some issues. 38 hot is at the upper range of what I shoot for. I haven't done the roval yet but I understand it puts a lot of stress to the tires and suspension.
It was fun, I spun out in turn # 9. Best time was 2:22.69 , could have done low, but being in the beginners group, too many people slowing you down.
      10-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #854
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
I am on the 19 " stock wheels. I am in the same position, I am looking to buy some new wheels, I don't know if a track wheels set is worth it, I am only track maybe 3 times a year.
For 3 a year I recommend just running re71 on your stock wheels.

I have 5 sets of TA5Rs, 2 of TEAL16s for the track cars but because I'm not running street friendly tires on the two track cars.
On the stock CS wheels (CS) and stock ZCP wheels (E90) I have RE71s and the times I've used them I've been impressed.
So far at Watkins Glen the fastest time on street tires is still the stock CS wheels with RE71 tires!
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #855
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
It was fun, I spun out in turn # 9. Best time was 2:22.69 , could have done low, but being in the beginners group, too many people slowing you down.
T9 is a decreasing radius turn, probably one of the more challenging to get right, so don't be too hard on yourself!

I've only done the Infield Course at ACS, but hopefully I can make it for the Sports/Roval Course before the end of Spring 2021 when it's supposed to all get torn down.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #856
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:

You should make the trip down at some point this winter, they’re going to close auto club speedway and make the whole track area smaller. Not that anyone’s gonna cry over that one, but Laguna has challenges as well. No one’s talking about closing Laguna (yet), but more restrictions are being discussed.

Some of my track buddies are going down to Thunderhill I think this week. When I was asked my reply was "I would go anywhere if I had a nice camper and trailer like yours." So I guess someday it may happen!
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      10-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #857
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What Shadow says. If I was in Socal weather RE-71rs on the stock wheels would be no brainer. And camber plates and alignment. You are set for good 3-5 years.
Only issue is RE-71Rs are very sticky fast tires so it might be hard to learn limits if you are serious about learning. Other options would be mounting less sticky but longer lasting tires on stock wheels like Dunlop and such if there are sizes.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #858
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What Shadow says. If I was in Socal weather RE-71rs on the stock wheels would be no brainer. And camber plates and alignment. You are set for good 3-5 years.
Only issue is RE-71Rs are very sticky fast tires so it might be hard to learn limits if you are serious about learning. Other options would be mounting less sticky but longer lasting tires on stock wheels like Dunlop and such if there are sizes.
Thanks for all the inputs, I have been doing some reading, and I see some people running stock size 255/275 35 and 265/285 35. Is there really any difference between the two?