Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

09-28-2020, 02:55 AM   #1
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Second owner and past the 3-year mark - Maintenance options?

Hey guys,

So I quite recently bought an off-lease 2018 M4 convertible (I am the 2nd owner) from a BMW dealer with 36k miles - the factory warranty runs till July 2021, but from what I've read online the maintenance plan should have ended at the 3 year-mark i.e. July 2020.

The car is stock i.e. never been tuned, and from what I can tell it's in pretty good shape and the service records look good. I don't track my car, and only use it for daily (albeit spirited) driving on normal (somewhat crappy) streets here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I intend to have it serviced and maintained regularly by a professional and as per the car's system recommendations. The next one is coming up in October.

A few clarifications:

1) The maintenance plan transfer costing $100 no longer applies to me since the original maintenance plan has expired - am I right?

2) Assuming the answer to (1) is yes, what options do I have for continued maintenance of my M4? Should I buy a maintenance plan from BMW, or should I go with an independent shop, and is the price differential significant? Will the choice affect resale value in a few years' time?

Thanks for your help in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 05:30 AM   #2
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Correct, you get no maintenance..... you can purchase one from BMW if you feel the need but a local indy shop will do all of it cheaper. You might also look into extended warranty plans if you feel the need
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Correct, you get no maintenance..... you can purchase one from BMW if you feel the need but a local indy shop will do all of it cheaper. You might also look into extended warranty plans if you feel the need
Thanks.

Any pros/cons (besides the $ difference) of getting my M4 maintained at a BMW dealership vs at an indy shop? I'm thinking along the lines of service records/resale value.

I'm only thinking of getting an extended warranty plan (like a platinum/powertrain + type thing) closer to next July when my factory warranty ends. For now, I'd like to figure out what I should do for regular maintenance.
Appreciate 1
JohnM47.50
      09-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

A lot of Indy shops are Ex-BMW shop technicians, check their credentials.
Also ask the locals in the regional forum for suggestions on local shops.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I don’t think the resale value will matter much if any, tied to a BMW vs Indy. It’s not like you’re going to be able to sell it to a person as a CPO.

As long as you have detailed records... that’s all I’d really care about.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 03:19 AM   #6
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

As those two said.... save your money
Appreciate 1