Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-31-2024, 03:05 PM   #1
zillymc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 | Tanzanite

Another Preventive Maintenance Thread - Long Term

Will be keeping my 2018 ZCP for the long haul and it just ended warranty and wanted to get some perspective from folks on some preventive maintenance/modifications beyond just good car hygiene of regular oil changes, plug changes, etc. I'll start by saying my F80 is stock and plan to keep it that way, has only been tracked once and unlikely to do so again, and it has been very well cared for and very low miles 15k! I'm debating the cost/benefit of the below and would appreciate any thoughts:

1. Intercooler / Heat Exchanger / Charge Pipes - Plenty of threads of the stock intercooler failing as well as some failure in charge pipes cracking. Haven't heard too much on stock heat exchanger issues. Was debating getting the Mishimoto power pack which includes the intercooler, heat exchanger, and charge pipes - and this seems to be a good preventive step given the issues.

2. Oil Cooler / Catch-can / Skid Plate - Similar here - number of threads on hitting something and oil cooler getting ripped about given the lack of protection. Thoughts on whether it's worth replacing the cooler or just adding the skid plate? Was again planning on potentially getting Mishimoto oil cooler kit, catch can, and adding a Turner skid plate.

3. Crank Hub / Capture - Always going to be highly debatable and most crank hub failures I've seen and read on here are primarily related to tune cars, but there have been instances of stock cars with spun crank hubs. Given my intention of staying stock - on the fence on this one. It is piece of mind from a potential catastrophic failure - but cost and labor is pretty expensive.

Any other thoughts in addition to the above would be appreciated!
      01-31-2024, 03:17 PM   #2
Innovade
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82

Keep an eye on your serpentine belts. A local owner had his shredded and was caught all in his crank seal. It caused rubber to get sucked into his engine and oil pick-up tube.

I would make sure that you have no oil leaks on the belt and keep an eye out for any cracks forming. VTT and Paradigm Engineering make a crank seal guard that prevents this.

Here's a thread regarding the issue: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1623258
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 03:46 PM   #3
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

My opinion is to replace the charge pipes/J pipe with aftermarket. Upgrade the charge cooler. Keep a close eye on both coolant reservoirs for leaking at the seam. Get the turner skid plate. Be proactive with your oil filter housing gasket. If that leaks the belt gets oily and you get the previous mentioned shit show. Replace your valve cover quickly if you have a PCV failure to protect your main deals. Be proactive on fluid changes and spark plugs every 30k if you aren't tuned/tracking. Front wheel bearings will fail at some point. Keep an eye out for grease leaking from the bearing as failure is next. Keep your battery charged with a CTEK and you will get plenty of life from the battery. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 05:29 PM   #4
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

I recently watched an older video where Misha drives his F80 taxi through the 'ring and he specifically called out that the crank hub isn't done on their car, how no F80s he encounters on a regular basis has it done and that it's a US thing more commonly for those who make more power. I haven't done it on mine either but made me more skeptical than I already have been regarding the topic.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 05:54 AM   #5
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

If you are going to keep it stock I would not change any parts, you can install the skid plate for oil cooler, and nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 09:18 AM   #6
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
If you are going to keep it stock I would not change any parts, you can install the skid plate for oil cooler, and nothing more.
This.... if staying stock and not tracking the car there's really little reason to do the other stuff (keeping eye on belts always a good idea). All the cooling upgrades totally unnecessary for your use. Just keep an eye on the IC coolant level, and if you're losing (and no other reason), then by all means replace the TMIC. But it may never fail.

The skid plate is a no-brainer for anyone who drives their car on.... roads. The exposed oil cooler is truly the car's Achilles heel
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 09:50 AM   #7
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

If I had a stock car:

1) Wagner top mount intercooler. The stock one WILL leak regardless of driving style.

2) Turner skid plate

3) Mosselman thermostat (optional) since the lower oil temperatures will extend the life of all of the plastic bits and gaskets. Oil cooler replacement is not needed.

4) Crank hub is optional for stock power

5) I'd add in the BMS oil catch can since you have low miles. It's not really needed if you have a healthy PCV system, but just in case the PCV fails, you'll have something else in there to catch oil.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 05:15 PM   #8
zillymc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 | Tanzanite

Thanks all really appreciate the feedback and perspectives! Ended getting quotes for Mishimoto TMIC and charge pipes, ER J pipe, Mishimoto oil cooler, turner skid plate. Don't need the oil cooler, but decided to do it anyways since the last time I had it on lift the cooler looked pretty beat up already and they are going to be down there anyways for the skid plate so what the hell why not.

Decided not to do the crank hub, heat exchanger, or oil catch can at this time.
      02-26-2024, 06:52 PM   #9
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

I知 in a similar situation. My 2016 F80 is nearing 50k miles and I知 the original owner. Plan to keep it for a while. However, I知 tuned to the CS level & I want to jump to a Stage 2 since I have the CBC and the colder plugs sitting in a box. The supporting mods are already done.

Today I ordered new brakes (tired of the constant dust) and the Mosselman thermostat.

This thread has me convinced to add the J pipe, charge cooler and skid plate to my upgrade list. I知 going to look at the crank seal guard as well.
zillymc194.50
      02-27-2024, 11:18 AM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillymc View Post
Will be keeping my 2018 ZCP for the long haul and it just ended warranty and wanted to get some perspective from folks on some preventive maintenance/modifications beyond just good car hygiene of regular oil changes, plug changes, etc. I'll start by saying my F80 is stock and plan to keep it that way, has only been tracked once and unlikely to do so again, and it has been very well cared for and very low miles 15k! I'm debating the cost/benefit of the below and would appreciate any thoughts:

1. Intercooler / Heat Exchanger / Charge Pipes - Plenty of threads of the stock intercooler failing as well as some failure in charge pipes cracking. Haven't heard too much on stock heat exchanger issues. Was debating getting the Mishimoto power pack which includes the intercooler, heat exchanger, and charge pipes - and this seems to be a good preventive step given the issues.

2. Oil Cooler / Catch-can / Skid Plate - Similar here - number of threads on hitting something and oil cooler getting ripped about given the lack of protection. Thoughts on whether it's worth replacing the cooler or just adding the skid plate? Was again planning on potentially getting Mishimoto oil cooler kit, catch can, and adding a Turner skid plate.

3. Crank Hub / Capture - Always going to be highly debatable and most crank hub failures I've seen and read on here are primarily related to tune cars, but there have been instances of stock cars with spun crank hubs. Given my intention of staying stock - on the fence on this one. It is piece of mind from a potential catastrophic failure - but cost and labor is pretty expensive.

Any other thoughts in addition to the above would be appreciated!
I just did my 50K service on my 2019 M4 which included plugs. I was going to do the Mishimoto TMIC as a preventative later this year and the coolant reservoir tank (as this is prone to leak at the seams) and replace my coolant. I'm not sure if I would get the power pack per se as I don't hear much about it.

I don't think our oil cooler from the factory is subpar but a protector could be beneficial.

The catchcan could be useful but if you are installing this in hopes of protecting your PCV in your valve cover it might not help since it's usually the diaphragm that tears which causes it to fail.

I would skip the crankhub until you have an issue since you are stock. 99% of the people who spun their crankhub are able to just retime their engine and replace the crankhub. It's the same price from what I gathered unless you have something catastrophic like bent valves but that's like rarely reported. There have been recent reports of the hub capture bolts like rusting or the bolts get stuck and they have to drill it out so I would be wary of this.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
zillymc194.50
      03-12-2024, 12:48 AM   #11
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillymc View Post
Thanks all really appreciate the feedback and perspectives! Ended getting quotes for Mishimoto TMIC and charge pipes, ER J pipe, Mishimoto oil cooler, turner skid plate. Don't need the oil cooler, but decided to do it anyways since the last time I had it on lift the cooler looked pretty beat up already and they are going to be down there anyways for the skid plate so what the hell why not.

Decided not to do the crank hub, heat exchanger, or oil catch can at this time.
When you install the skid plate, consider getting some metal grate material to cover the opening. I知 gonna use metal zip ties to hold it in place and prevent road debris from getting in there. I have the bumper off the car atm doing the heat exchanger and charge cooler. There was a half dollar and a quarter sitting in between my oil cooler and the radiator 😳 as well as standards rocks/pebbles. So I ordered a Zunesport grille kit and I saw all the bent fins on the underside of the oil cooler and figured a cover over that wouldn稚 be a bad idea.