Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

08-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Considering full vinyl wrap. Looking for input from those with experience.

I'm seriously considering having my M3 vinyl wrapped in Nardo Grey or similar color. I know cost can range anywhere from $2k - $5k and there are a couple of reputable shops in my area that I can trust to do the job. But I'm hesitant since I don't know much about the longevity and durability of vinyl wrap.

For those of you who have had your current or previous cars vinyl wrapped, what is your overall experience with it and do you find that it was worth it? For instance, how well does the vinyl wrap hold up over time and to the elements? My car is always garage kept so I don't anticipate any premature wear from the sun constantly beating on it. But it is a daily driver and is going to be driven in all seasons.

The thing I'm most curious about is how well it holds up to rock chips/road debris. One of the shops I checked into said that it's as strong as a standard 3M clear bra. Which would be fantastic, if true. Especially since at just 8k miles on the odometer, I'm amazed at how aged the OEM paint looks with light scratches/chips. I would love to change up the color and protect the paint at the same time.

Anyway, I'm just genuinely curious to read input from others on this topic as I mull it over.
      08-23-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

I had a matte metallic red on my 335, 3 years no issues, minor rock chips from highway but it was the easiest thing to clean. I want to do satin black for my f82 and ceramic coat it, for gloss you'll see swirls and for mattes oils will stain it if not protected.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toM3 View Post
I'm seriously considering having my M3 vinyl wrapped in Nardo Grey or similar color. I know cost can range anywhere from $2k - $5k and there are a couple of reputable shops in my area that I can trust to do the job. But I'm hesitant since I don't know much about the longevity and durability of vinyl wrap.

For those of you who have had your current or previous cars vinyl wrapped, what is your overall experience with it and do you find that it was worth it? For instance, how well does the vinyl wrap hold up over time and to the elements? My car is always garage kept so I don't anticipate any premature wear from the sun constantly beating on it. But it is a daily driver and is going to be driven in all seasons.

The thing I'm most curious about is how well it holds up to rock chips/road debris. One of the shops I checked into said that it's as strong as a standard 3M clear bra. Which would be fantastic, if true. Especially since at just 8k miles on the odometer, I'm amazed at how aged the OEM paint looks with light scratches/chips. I would love to change up the color and protect the paint at the same time.

Anyway, I'm just genuinely curious to read input from others on this topic as I mull it over.
Depending on where you are geographically , the hood, roof, and trunk are only warrantied shorter because it's horizontally facing instead of vertically facing. This is for both 3M and Avery. This is even shorter if it's color (other than white/black).

The vinyl is not as strong as the clear bra, the clear bra is much thicker. Also I can be wrong, but vinyl does not self heal for scratches and stuff like that. PPF is around 8 mills thick and vinyl is around 3.5 mills.

Be mindful of the time it's on the car, once it's on there too long and it starts cracking due to heat, it will be a pain to remove.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Might want to look at a car wrapped in Gloss finish before going through with it. All the ones I've seen in Nardo Grey has major orange peel. It's not like paint orange peel either. It's more like a cheap plastic looking orange peel. You won't notice it from 15 feet away but it'll be really apparent as you get closer. For this reason alone, I would only vinyl wrap in a satin finish.

If you do have your heart set on Nardo Grey, go with Avery over 3M.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Might want to look at a car wrapped in Gloss finish before going through with it. All the ones I've seen in Nardo Grey has major orange peel. It's not like paint orange peel either. It's more like a cheap plastic looking orange peel. You won't notice it from 15 feet away but it'll be really apparent as you get closer. For this reason alone, I would only vinyl wrap in a satin finish.

If you do have your heart set on Nardo Grey, go with Avery over 3M.
This. My buddy did his m2 in gloss nardo gray and it looks good from a distnaces but up close it doesn’t look as nice. I’d go satin as well
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
cionide
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

I had my E92 M3 wrapped in 3M Satin White, then sold it to a friend and the re-wrapped it in some kind of metalic satin blue. The blue wrap was done alot worse then mine (it was lifting in a few places after a while and the corners were not so clean). Mine was done faiurly well, buk but I would say I regretted it within 6 months. It's enough someone touches it with greasy hands and you get stains - it's not even that YOU have to be careful about your car. Other people just touch it. You take it for an oil change, some mechanic will touch the fender with their greasy hands and you get a stain. If you don't notice it immediately, good luck proving it later.

Here's my old car: https://www.zmianakoloruauta.pl/gale..._m3_perla.html
      08-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Great info guys. This input actually has me skeptical on whether I'd be happy with the results after spending the money. Especially considering that it seems to require more diligent maintenance and isn't truly a good replacement for a clear bra type of material.

The more I think about it, I'll probably just save the money and keep the car as is. At least with the OEM paint/clear coat I can easily buff out any light scratches and fill in any rock chips with the proper color.

And just a quick pic of the car in it's current state, for fun...
      08-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Great info guys. This input actually has me skeptical on whether I'd be happy with the results after spending the money. Especially considering that it seems to require more diligent maintenance and isn't truly a good replacement for a clear bra type of material.

The more I think about it, I'll probably just save the money and keep the car as is. At least with the OEM paint/clear coat I can easily buff out any light scratches and fill in any rock chips with the proper color.

And just a quick pic of the car in it's current state, for fun...
Have you thought about a stealth ppf? I've seen two mineral greys in stealth xpel and they look awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamgrewt View Post
Have you thought about a stealth ppf? I've seen two mineral greys in stealth xpel and they look awesome.
I have not looked into PPF at all, to be honest. I'll look into pricing for that and see how it adds up.
      08-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamgrewt View Post
I have not looked into PPF at all, to be honest. I'll look into pricing for that and see how it adds up.
You definitely should if I could redo my purchase I would have gotten Nardo gray and wrapped it in xpel stealth in a heartbeat. Such a clean look and so easy to keep clean.

I got a couple quotes for full xpel stealth wrapped and capped $5000-$6800
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Here’s a couple pics I took of metallic Grey wrapped in stealth ppf

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #12
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi E92 N55

I have MG M3 full xpel ppf and ceramic coated it's the best mod I've done to a car. If I had to do it all over again would have gone with stealth wrap though
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #13
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

So wait, can one vinyl wrap their car then have it protected with clear film?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:41 AM   #14
kRoMhAsaF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 18' M3 Competition

Yup you can, but usually you put PPF on before vinyl wrap so that when the wrap is removed you still have protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoChris View Post

I would recommend wrapping and then ceramic coating. Not only does it make the car easier to clean but helps here and there with chips and scratches. I recently did my in the garage and coated it, couldn't be happier with the results.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #15
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I wrapped my F10 550 in 3M pearl white and it chips alot easier than paint does. After one winter my front bumper had rock chips all over the front. if you are dropping 3-5K for vinyl you are better off dropping alittle more and get stealth ppf that actually protects the paint.
      09-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #16
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRoMhAsaF30 View Post
Yup you can, but usually you put PPF on before vinyl wrap so that when the wrap is removed you still have protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoChris View Post

I would recommend wrapping and then ceramic coating. Not only does it make the car easier to clean but helps here and there with chips and scratches. I recently did my in the garage and coated it, couldn't be happier with the results.

You did that wrap yourself??

That's pretty damn impressive.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #17
5low5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

I had my MG M3 wrapped in Avery dark gloss grey. I love the look and I don't have any orange peel up close. The down side is being paranoid about corners lifting and I can't just do a paint correction for swirls[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #18
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:

Is that how you’re supposed to wrap the bumper? In pieces like that? Very curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #19
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ Yes

you can't bend vinyl in multiple directions with sharp angles. It will lift eventually. The proper way to do this is in multiple sections using knifeless tape so its straight and the seams aren't noticeable.
      09-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #20
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5low5 View Post
I had my MG M3 wrapped in Avery dark gloss grey. I love the look and I don't have any orange peel up close. The down side is being paranoid about corners lifting and I can't just do a paint correction for swirls[IMG][/IMG]
Funny, I went to get a quote today and after looking at a few different color options, the shop owner and I both agreed that Avery Dark Grey (either gloss or semi-gloss) would look fantastic. Pricing came to $4800, all in.

I'd prefer to go with gloss as I normally don't love the matte/semi-gloss look on cars. But I'm nervous about gloss looking super swirly, soon after, in direct sun. A ceramic coating over the wrap would take care of that. But then pricing for everything combined would reach a point that it wouldn't really be worth it to me.

I've also been meaning to also get a quote on semi-gloss PPF from a shop nearby. Once I do that, I'll report back.
      09-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #21
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Funny, I went to get a quote today and after looking at a few different color options, the shop owner and I both agreed that Avery Dark Grey (either gloss or semi-gloss) would look fantastic. Pricing came to $4800, all in.

I'd prefer to go with gloss as I normally don't love the matte/semi-gloss look on cars. But I'm nervous about gloss looking super swirly, soon after, in direct sun. A ceramic coating over the wrap would take care of that. But then pricing for everything combined would reach a point that it wouldn't really be worth it to me.

I've also been meaning to also get a quote on semi-gloss PPF from a shop nearby. Once I do that, I'll report back.
PPF doesn't come in shades like vinyl. The glossiness is the top coat and this varies per manufacture. The best top coat has been Llumar Platnium or Suntek Ultra (same film), one that is a shade less glossy is either the 3M or the Xpel.

If you're looking for matte, you'll want something like Suntek Matte.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 11:20 PM   #22
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:

Is that how you’re supposed to wrap the bumper? In pieces like that? Very curious.
Yes. There are several ways to wrap the bumper but the above sections will ensure that there no lifting of the vinyl. I've literally had dreams about how I would divide the vinyl sections on the F80 front bumper; the above is a good method.
Appreciate 0