Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #221
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Yes, it can get pretty crowded, but they run many run groups, and you only get 4 scheduled sessions per day, with a 5th bonus session towards the end of the day. You do not get the same amount of run time as you do with Speed District.

The first session you run that day, you should concentrate on setting as good of a "qualifying" lap if you will as you can. For the 2nd session, they will pregrid you on the results of the first, and then for the 3rd session, pregrid you on the results of the 2nd, etc. It usually works pretty well, but it does mean you need to show up for pre-gridding 10 min for your session start so they can organize all the cars in terms of run time.

I have never had a problem in the advanced groups - even if I had to fight my way up past slower cars, it works out pretty well - people have good situational awareness. Just get to pre-grid early. When I ran in the intermediate groups, I was usually fast enough to get into the front of the run group.

They do mandatory download meetings after the first and second sessions, this is where people dime each other out for not following the rules or being unsafe, but it usually keeps people in line.
Thanks for the run down of the SV Buttonwillow days and tips. I'll definitely keep those in mind. 4 sessions with a bonus does not sound much... 2 days might be necessary lol. The one time I ran SV I went to Streets of Willow and ran in the purple then/and black group. That was my first and only time so far at SOW. I ended up running 2 separate run groups after lunch. There were only like 50 cars so it went very well and I got a lot of track time. I'm thinking of running with the black group again this time but not sure. Which group will you be running in?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #222
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I thought I would have open lapping and that's why I signed up for the speed district event. Maybe it was bad luck and timing for me but I thought it was horrible. 15 minute sessions and way too many newbies in "advanced" group. I barely had any clean laps.

That 15 minutes sucks when the first couple minutes in trying to warm up then the next couple laps fighting to get a clean lap then when I finally do its checkered flag! Lol

Speed ventures will grid you so even though there are a lot of cars you have plenty of space. The advanced groups are also a lot faster.
I agree on the 15 minute sessions being short. It was frustrating at times when being held up in traffic. If you thought advanced was bad you would have killed yourself in intermediate! Some guys were not very generous with point bys even when they were clearly warranted. The crowd was so slow that I was the fastest in the intermediate group for a couple sessions and I am a beginner! My friend in his GT4 was the fastest time of the day besides for the lambo. Every other Speed District event I've been to has many cars that are much faster.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #223
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M3 View Post
Thanks for the run down of the SV Buttonwillow days and tips. I'll definitely keep those in mind. 4 sessions with a bonus does not sound much... 2 days might be necessary lol. The one time I ran SV I went to Streets of Willow and ran in the purple then/and black group. That was my first and only time so far at SOW. I ended up running 2 separate run groups after lunch. There were only like 50 cars so it went very well and I got a lot of track time. I'm thinking of running with the black group again this time but not sure. Which group will you be running in?
I signed up with green group. I've done the 2 run group thing with them before, and it works out to a lot of track time. Just have to make sure you check what they like to schedule and get groups spaced apart enough, heh.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #224
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4!

Quote:
Here's my video. Couldn't get better than a 2:00.3 that day due to traffic and/or overshooting ending up in unintentional drifts. I could have gotten a 1:58 a couple times.

Outstanding video! It's got a little bit of everything. Thanks for posting and for the instruction Saturday, it's appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #225
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i felt like there were dudes runing 2:10 in advanced group. i could be wrong but that's what it felt like.
That's messed up. Did you hear about the collision that happened at Buttonwillow the next day with the OnGrid org? One of the guys who does the Nissan Challenge got his car completely messed up. The track marshall let him go out with the beginner group accidentally, so he was blowing by people without a point by who were really slow.

As he was about to hit sunset, a beginner decided at the last moment he wanted to pit, so basically the Nissan ended up getting clipped and spun around 180 in midair.

There's video of the incident in the Nissan challenge Facebook group.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #226
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
That's messed up. Did you hear about the collision that happened at Buttonwillow the next day with the OnGrid org? One of the guys who does the Nissan Challenge got his car completely messed up. The track marshall let him go out with the beginner group accidentally, so he was blowing by people without a point by who were really slow.

As he was about to hit sunset, a beginner decided at the last moment he wanted to pit, so basically the Nissan ended up getting clipped and spun around 180 in midair.

oh shit - if you watch my vid, I was parked next to one of those guys and was talking to him so I hope it's not him. He said he was running on Sunday too. I'm gonna go check up on it.

Too many guys think they can just throw an hpde organization together. I've had different flavors and know which groups to go with and which not to.
      03-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #227
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:

can you post the link? too many nissan challenges on facebook lol - i think it's the corner 3 one no?
      03-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #228
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
can you post the link? too many nissan challenges on facebook lol - i think it's the corner 3 one no?
Yeah, that's the one.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #229
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I signed up with green group. I've done the 2 run group thing with them before, and it works out to a lot of track time. Just have to make sure you check what they like to schedule and get groups spaced apart enough, heh.
Awesome I'll see you out there. Are you competing in the bimmerchallenge? I'm thinking of mounting my RS3s and competing in a lower class but might just start the bimmerchallenge next year when I'm a bit faster.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #230
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome I'll see you out there. Are you competing in the bimmerchallenge? I'm thinking of mounting my RS3s and competing in a lower class but might just start the bimmerchallenge next year when I'm a bit faster.
Yep - in B3 class atm, but in a difficult position because of how competitive it is. If I upgraded to full coilovers, it would put me in B2.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #231
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep - in B3 class atm, but in a difficult position because of how competitive it is. If I upgraded to full coilovers, it would put me in B2.
I would compete in B3 as well with the RS3s. Looking at the 2015 Results it doesn't look that bad for Buttonwillow at least. 1st place was 1:57, 2nd 2:01, 3rd 2:03 in April and 1st 2:02, 2nd 2:02 and 3rd 2:06 in July. I would also be able to put on my JB4 and compete in the same class. Not sure if that extra power would help my time by much though. Judging by your past 13cw times you have a big shot at winning!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #232
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would compete in B3 as well with the RS3s. Looking at the 2015 Results it doesn't look that bad for Buttonwillow at least. 1st place was 1:57, 2nd 2:01, 3rd 2:03 in April and 1st 2:02, 2nd 2:02 and 3rd 2:06 in July. I would also be able to put on my JB4 and compete in the same class. Not sure if that extra power would help my time by much though. Judging by your past 13cw times you have a big shot at winning!
2nd or 3rd is probably my goal, not sure if I can get there though, lol. Competition is pretty tough this year.

The issue for me though, is my 2:00 time is set in relatively chilly weather, and it's been heating up lately. Also, that was with MDM + RE-71R. I had a bad experience with MDM + NT01 - as in, it cut in way too much.

I'll be going out there with DSC off, which means I'll need to be more careful about setting times. I think my fastest time out with DSC off was 2:02, but I had some car issues (water temp sensor was bad, was pulling power, I think).
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #233
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i think ECU mods are points now for sure. we had a discussion about it last year.
      03-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #234
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
2nd or 3rd is probably my goal, not sure if I can get there though, lol. Competition is pretty tough this year.

The issue for me though, is my 2:00 time is set in relatively chilly weather, and it's been heating up lately. Also, that was with MDM + RE-71R. I had a bad experience with MDM + NT01 - as in, it cut in way too much.

I'll be going out there with DSC off, which means I'll need to be more careful about setting times. I think my fastest time out with DSC off was 2:02, but I had some car issues (water temp sensor was bad, was pulling power, I think).
Quote:
we need more people in b2 - i think it's just 4 of us so far. 1st place and 2nd place guys are fast as shit though.....1:55 and lower at buttonwillow. I have no chance lol
      03-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #235
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i think ECU mods are points now for sure. we had a discussion about it last year.
http://www.speedventures.com/the-lin...enge-Rules.pdf

Under free modifications it lists piggyback as one of them. The rules look updated as well. Are you sure? I might be able to slip by with a JB4 if I want to compete

Quote:

I definitely think you'll be able to place top 3. Interesting that you found euro mdm to cut in more with NT01s, I felt like my experience was the opposite. I got some serious slips with euro mdm and the NT01s. I did see the traction light flash a couple times after track out of buttonhook when I knew I had grip but I didn't notice it cutting power. It might have though and I could have just not noticed it. How did you like the NT01s compared to the RE71rs?

Last edited by YMB_M3; 03-30-2016 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #236
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
http://www.speedventures.com/the-lin...enge-Rules.pdf

Under free modifications it lists piggyback as one of them. The rules look updated as well. Are you sure? I might be able to slip by with a JB4 if I want to compete

I definitely think you'll be able to place top 3. Interesting that you found euro mdm to cut in more with NT01s, I felt like my experience was the opposite. I got some serious slips with euro mdm and the NT01s. I did see the traction light flash a couple times after track out of buttonhook when I knew I had grip but I didn't notice it cutting power. It might have though and I could have just not noticed it. How did you like the NT01s compared to the RE71rs?
hmm i thought we changed it last year...otherwise I'm reporting it!!!

I may also drop down to b3 with re71 or nt01 140 treadware.
      03-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #237
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hmm i thought we changed it last year...otherwise I'm reporting it!!!

I may also drop down to b3 with re71 or nt01 140 treadware.
In that case I have no chance... Definitely stay in B2 Do you think the JB4 and the added ~40-50whp would lower lap times at buttonwillow significantly?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #238
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
In that case I have no chance... Definitely stay in B2 Do you think the JB4 and the added ~40-50whp would lower lap times at buttonwillow significantly?
for sure - slow in fast out will be faster lol
      03-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #239
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For sake of discussion how much do you think lap times would drop on a 2 min track like button? Driver aside.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #240
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M3
Quote:
For sake of discussion how much do you think lap times would drop on a 2 min track like button? Driver aside.
I would say couple seconds at least. Wish I had 50 more horsepower!

Riding with cajun1 even coming out of hook the f82 was pulling like crazy compared to what I'm used to.

You do a few mph faster on every part of the track you'd be saving tons of time but even just entering a corner the same speed and just exiting faster and being faster on the straights you'll get at least a couple seconds.
      03-31-2016, 02:48 PM   #241
Mac2924
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Here is my video at PBIR. I have been to this track before but it's my first time on track with this beast. I only had two sessions so I had limited time to learn the car and my first session was basically a shake down to make sure the brakes last. My best time is a 1:33, I know I forgot to turn the A/C off, could have dropped like 5 seconds haha. Car has Ferodo DS2500 brake pads, Motual 600 and spacers. Checkout my high-tech G-meter (anchor on the rear-view mirror)
Here is the link since I couldn't download it:
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 06:38 PM   #242
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2924 View Post
Here is my video at PBIR. I have been to this track before but it's my first time on track with this beast. I only had two sessions so I had limited time to learn the car and my first session was basically a shake down to make sure the brakes last. My best time is a 1:33, I know I forgot to turn the A/C off, could have dropped like 5 seconds haha. Car has Ferodo DS2500 brake pads, Motual 600 and spacers. Checkout my high-tech G-meter (anchor on the rear-view mirror)
Here is the link since I couldn't download it:
That's always the worst feeling, isn't it? I can't tell you how many times I've finished a session thinking I could have done better, and seeing the damn air conditioner running as I slow to a stop in the paddock. F***!!!
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0