proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

07-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
AN03REW
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

F30 330d To F80 M3

Hi guys, I have a 330d for two and a half years now, its sitting around 310 bhp and its a great car.

I love the looks of F80 M3 and want to change up.

My question is about room inside the car. I have two young daughters and I need all the room in 330d as my wife and I are both tall. Is the M3 and 330d the same space inside the car I cant find much info on bmw web site?

this is the spec I am looking at

•Front armrest with sliding adjustment.
•Seven-speed double clutch transmission.
•BMW Advanced loudspeaker system.
•Adaptive headlights.
•M carbon ceramic brakes.
•Extended storage.
•Sun protection glass.
•High beam assistant.
•M Head-up Display.
•Aluminium Blade interior trim.
•Speed limit display.
Metallic Yas Marina Blue

Is there any helpful things I should know good or bad before trying to deal?

When looking through you tube videos I found the car that am looking at was used as a test car by autocar against the alpina. M3 gets some abuse but that's what its made for. Should it concern me much?

Thanks Andrew
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 03:47 AM   #2
PA11L JJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d LCI M Sport

I had an F30 335d a year ago and now in the F80 M3. I've got three kids and although rarely all in the car together I actually think there's slightly more room in the back. Its always a bit of a squeeze with all three but when its just my two girls (12 and 13) they seem to have a bit more legroom than in the F30. Not sure if they sit slighly lower in the M3 rear seats due to there design and also if the front M seats allow a little more leg room in the back? I could be talking complete tosh and if you you actually got a tape measure out I'd be shown up for a fool, but thats how it looks/feels to me.

Your spec looks good, especially the colour , I would only put the carbon brakes on if I were tracking the car though, but if moneys no object then go for it. Also I would definatley go for the HK sounds, not sure if its a huge increase in cost from the Advanced system but I think its a must. Altough you do spend a lot of time just listening to that engine/exhaust!!

If its the same you tube video I think it is from autocar then dont pay any atention to it. I believe (from another post on here) the M3 was driven in Eco mode with everything turned down, so not even close to a true comparison. Putting everything in Sport plus, S3 etc changes the car totally and I think would utterly muller the Alpina!!

Good luck

Paul.

Gone: F56 Mini JCW - F80 M3 - F20 M135i - E89 Z4 - F30 335d - E92 M3 - E81 118d - Audi Q7 - E90 335d - VW Scirocco 2.0GT - And a few bangers not worth mentioning.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:40 AM   #3
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI

I would think the inside space is exactly the same, certainly not less.
Spec looks great , have you spec'd the black 19" alloys, they look incredible on YMB
Also, what about reverse camera?

Have you test driven one yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:41 AM   #4
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep

and yes 100% go for HK audio. a Must option
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:02 AM   #5
AN03REW
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Thanks Adam & Paul.

Its a year old car am looking at so I cant do much with the spec, I have HK in my F30 and it is really good! Silver alloys no reverse camera, been fine with parking sensors. A sensor would be good for high kerbs tho as F30 has been lowered. haha

My daughters are 4 years and 6 weeks. So its the 6 week one with baby seat that is needing the room behind passenger seat.

I haven't test driven one, but am going to stealership tomorrow for test drive in M4 no M3 there.

Any key things to get during a deal being done?

Its a May 2014 with 7500 miles priced at 49,745. what price should I aim to get?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:19 AM   #6
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just push for as much discount as possible. This also includes getting a decent finance rate (if going PCP) i got 4.9% from Newcastle BMW on a 2nd hand M4, although got 4.1% on a brand new car so the overall package actually worked out cheaper

Maybe see if you can get the 5 year service thrown in. some dealers told me they cant do that on a used but Norwich did it for me so im not 100% sure

They always have room to move though. Id be aiming for a min 5% discount but ideally more if you can push it

If you are doing a 3 year PCP, get another dealer to do a quote for a brand new car, sometimes doesnt work out any different (due to rates and GFV)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:45 AM   #7
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I went from a 330d touring to a M3 a year ago. I needed space for different reasons as my wife sometimes needs a wheelchair which has to go in the boot. No problems with that and grandkids fit in the back. I suspect there maybe a little more legroom as I the front seem a little slimmer though very comfortable.

Your spec looks good but unless you are going to seriously track the car I would reconsider the ceramic brakes as the steel ones are very good. The cost of the ceramics is astronomic and little info yet on long term use in our climate.

I would instead think about the adaptive LED lights, they really are fantastic and perhaps surround cameras as the wider wheels and arches and the lower front are at risk from kerbs. If you need to use the car all year round I would also consider the need for winter tyres, the PSS don't like temperatures below 5cish and pilot Alpins much better (I bought a set of 18" winter alloys to allow me to switch and save my 19" wheels from salt etc)

My year with the car has been trouble free except for 2 slow punctures from nails (the pressure / temperature sensors are really very good) and a cracked windscreen from a large stone thrown up by a truck .
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:56 AM   #8
PA11L JJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN03REW View Post
Thanks Adam & Paul.

Its a year old car am looking at so I cant do much with the spec, I have HK in my F30 and it is really good! Silver alloys no reverse camera, been fine with parking sensors. A sensor would be good for high kerbs tho as F30 has been lowered. haha

My daughters are 4 years and 6 weeks. So its the 6 week one with baby seat that is needing the room behind passenger seat.

I haven't test driven one, but am going to stealership tomorrow for test drive in M4 no M3 there.

Any key things to get during a deal being done?

Its a May 2014 with 7500 miles priced at 49,745. what price should I aim to get?
If its the car at Cooper Cobham which from your description it looks as if it is and your dealing through John Clark BMW, based on your Aberdeenshire location, it may be difficult to get any discount on the car as this will depend on how much John Clark have to buy the M3 from Cobham for. With its spec it does seem a good price already to be fair, so maybe not much movement. It will aslo depend how long its been in stock as to there willingness to let it go to another dealer and how much they charge them for it (they will obviously want to make some money from the deal). When I bought my E92 M3 from Stratstone I had to travel 150 miles to get it as the dealer refused to let my local one have the car as it was a good price and only in stock for a couple of weeks. If Cobham let it go its probably been in stock over 30 days and already been discounted to try and move it on.

If the above is right your best tools for negotiation will be things like a service packs as Adams suggested or in your part ex allowance. If its not then just ignore everything Ive said.

I would definatley look at new now that the discounts are coming in. I originally looked at a year old used M3 at £51k on 4 year PCP on the friends and family rates and it was still more than a brand new one. I also got a better allowance on my M135i as I was buying new and a 9% discount. Again as adam has said check out all the options, preferably before you drive it, as after that you'll sign anything to get one!!

Paul.

Gone: F56 Mini JCW - F80 M3 - F20 M135i - E89 Z4 - F30 335d - E92 M3 - E81 118d - Audi Q7 - E90 335d - VW Scirocco 2.0GT - And a few bangers not worth mentioning.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:17 AM   #9
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Sorry, I misread and thought you were speccing a new car. I got all my M's new from John Clark and have always got very good deals (generally compared them with dealers around where my sons stay in the South of England). I have heard that the premium car market in Aberdeen has somewhat collapsed due to the situation in the oil industry, lots of cancelled orders, so deals may be available
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
PA11L JJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
I have heard that the premium car market in Aberdeen has somewhat collapsed due to the situation in the oil industry, lots of cancelled orders, so deals may be available
Thats a fair point. Before the slump I doubt John Clark would have done many good discounted deals (unless of course you are an M fanatic like jbtco appears to be ).

However I just got my brother a good deal on a M235i at Newcastle BMW that John Clark couldnt get near.

Paul.

Appreciate 0