Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
mapexvenus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 m40i

Angry Drivetrain Malfunction - Drive Moderately

2016 M4 Coupe - took delivery last Friday. 300 miles on the car.

Started up the car on my way to work this morning and go the "Drivetrain Malfunction - Drive Moderately". Subsequent to this the engine would either start and stop immediately, or not start at all.

Called BMW Assist from the car, they put me on hold for 20 mins to connect me to roadside assistance. When they got roadside assistance, that company wanted to know my location. WTF? Didn't BMW Assist have my location through the onboard system that they could have forwarded to the roadside assistance company? Anyway, roadside assistance said they would take an hour to get to me.

I eventually got the car to start and drove it to the dealership. I told my sales guy that I wanted a new car if this turned out to be a major problem. He said he would talk to his team.

BTW - I use Shell V-Power gas and filled up last night.

Now, waiting for the diagnosis.

Last edited by mapexvenus; 08-11-2016 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
humbertin0
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Wow, best of luck bud.

Considering this happened right after you filled....I'm going to make preliminary guess at the reason for this......water in the fuel.

This happened to a co-worker with his brand new S4. The car was fine for weeks until he filled at a gas station and the very next morning his car stalled and it left him on the side of the road.
If I remember correctly....apparently the gas reservoirs underneath the ground at the gas station are "allowed" to contain a certain (small) amount of water. I don't recall the amount but the fuel sample they removed from his car at the dealership had a LOT.

EDIT: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...sed-Break-Down
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
mapexvenus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbertin0 View Post
Wow, best of luck bud.

Considering this happened right after you filled....I'm going to make preliminary guess at the reason for this......water in the fuel.

This happened to a co-worker with his brand new S4. The car was fine for weeks until he filled at a gas station and the very next morning his car stalled and it left him on the side of the road.
If I remember correctly....apparently the gas reservoirs underneath the ground at the gas station are "allowed" to contain a certain (small) amount of water. I don't recall the amount but the fuel sample they removed from his car at the dealership had a LOT.

EDIT: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...sed-Break-Down
I wonder if I should provide the dealer with the information - i.e. that I filled up last night, or should I just let them go through their standard process?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
humbertin0
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
I wonder if I should provide the dealer with the information - i.e. that I filled up last night, or should I just let them go through their standard process?
They're probably looking at any diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) stored in the car which triggered the drivetrain malfunction error.
However, I don't think it would hurt at all for them to know you recently filled.
It might make the diagnostic process easier for them by hinting them to get a sample of fuel from the tank.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Wondering how did you connect water in gas with drivetranny ?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

I wouldn't say a thing about anything you did, don't give them any excuse to try and point the problem towards you
      08-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
mapexvenus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
I wouldn't say a thing about anything you did, don't give them any excuse to try and point the problem towards you
I already did that in good faith that they won't try to screw me over. If the problem is at my end then I am happy to take responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
humbertin0
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Wondering how did you connect water in gas with drivetranny ?
The error prompt he saw was not "drivetranny"....it was "drivetrain" which includes the engine amongst other components.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #9
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus
Quote:
I already did that in good faith that they won't try to screw me over. If the problem is at my end then I am happy to take responsibility.
You're a good man, hope it works out just fine for you because doing the right thing is punished all too often
      08-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
mapexvenus
Private
Rep

Quote:
You're a good man, hope it works out just fine for you because doing the right thing is punished all too often
I know man.

I am sitting here anxious like I have a family member on life-support.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #11
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know man.

I am sitting here anxious like I have a family member on life-support.
Prep for the worst, hope for the best and control your expectations or you'll be disappointed. It's brand new and your baby, I'm sure you're fuming right now. It could be a day or weeks before it gets resolved but it will in the end and not out of your pocket so don't let this ruin the car for you.
      08-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #12
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Most likely bad gas.

If the DME runs into lots of knock and has to pull a lot of timing, it will throw a drivetrain error.

It could be other things as well, but this would be my best educated guess considering he just filled up.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #13
mapexvenus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Most likely bad gas.

If the DME runs into lots of knock and has to pull a lot of timing, it will throw a drivetrain error.

It could be other things as well, but this would be my best educated guess considering he just filled up.
My sales guy just called me because the SA has not returned any of my calls Anyway, according to my sales guy, they're still running diagnostics, but they don't think it is fuel-related.

I told him that if this is a major defect then he needs to get me into a new car. The car le less than 4 days old and has 300 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
Richevo6
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Surely if it was engine related it would come up powertrain failure rather than drivetrain?? Maybe related to the rear diff issue the 2016 models had??
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
mapexvenus
Private
Rep

Another update: Got a call from the SA (finally!) that a sensor chip had failed and was being replaced. He said they would test the car after this and see how things go.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #16
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
Another update: Got a call from the SA (finally!) that a sensor chip had failed and was being replaced. He said they would test the car after this and see how things go.
"Sensor chip"?

Make sure you get a copy of the work order and post up what it says.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #17
mapexvenus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
"Sensor chip"?

Make sure you get a copy of the work order and post up what it says.
Now I got a call from my sales guy who said that he 'heard' from the service dept that it was an issue with the Dinan 'software' and that they would need to send my car to Dinan authorized dealership to rectify. My SA hasn't called me with the same update.

I have Dinan stage 1 and know that this isn't just software, my car has the the hardware version of the system.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #18
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I realize my little 235 is not in the same league as your vehicle but before I upgraded to Dinan Stage 2 I had Stage 1. I got the exact same Malfunction message you did on Stage 1 2 or 3 days after I got the car and tune.

I any case, I turned off the engine, restarted and never saw the message again. I also contacted my dealer (they installed the tune) and the error was attributed to the vehicle adapting to the tune or vice versa).

I'm sure your issue is not serious. Presumably you can take it back to the installer just to double check everything is correctly connected?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #19
rmizzle101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M4

I got the exact same error. Took it to my dealer they restarted the system & it went away with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #20
mapexvenus
Private
Rep

They're saying it's because the Dinan State 1 system has been installed incorrectly. Apparently the dealer I got the car from isn't certified to investigate this, so they're sending it back to the dealer that installed the Dinan, where they got the car from through a dealer trade.

I am going to start a new thread about whether I should even leave the Dinan in or take it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #21
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
2016 M4 Coupe - took delivery last Friday. 300 miles on the car.

Started up the car on my way to work this morning and go the "Drivetrain Malfunction - Drive Moderately". Subsequent to this the engine would either start and stop immediately, or not start at all.

Called BMW Assist from the car, they put me on hold for 20 mins to connect me to roadside assistance. When they got roadside assistance, that company wanted to know my location. WTF? Didn't BMW Assist have my location through the onboard system that they could have forwarded to the roadside assistance company? Anyway, roadside assistance said they would take an hour to get to me.

I eventually got the car to start and drove it to the dealership. I told my sales guy that I wanted a new car if this turned out to be a major problem. He said he would talk to his team.

BTW - I use Shell V-Power gas and filled up last night.

Now, waiting for the diagnosis.
Similar thing happened to me after filling up with 93 Shell. Never used it again after that. Switched to 93 BP.
      08-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #22
mapexvenus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
Similar thing happened to me after filling up with 93 Shell. Never used it again after that. Switched to 93 BP.
They're saying it wasn't the fuel.
Appreciate 0