European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #9681
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Just saw a Python Green GT4 and wanted to yell out, "Arcades" even though I knew it wasn't him nor the color he spec'd. Lol!

I am glad I passed on Python after seeing that GT4. I made a good choice going back to Chalk.
I can't do any green cars.

None of them look right to me. Speed Yellow on the other hand I am okay with actually. But personally if I am to keep a car, I still would avoid too colorful cars just out of habit.
Sedan_Clan25205.50
      07-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #9682
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Just saw a Python Green GT4 and wanted to yell out, "Arcades" even though I knew it wasn't him nor the color he spec'd. Lol!

I am glad I passed on Python after seeing that GT4. I made a good choice going back to Chalk.
I can't do any green cars.

None of them look right to me. Speed Yellow on the other hand I am okay with actually. But personally if I am to keep a car, I still would avoid too colorful cars just out of habit.
Speed Yellow does look surprisingly good.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #9683
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Bub rub and lil sis for bonus points.

yeah?

What do i win?
A kiss on the cheek
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM3662.50
stein_325i25122.50
      07-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #9684
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Two different blue beavers for GrussGott ….
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
GrussGott18198.00
minn1914070.50
      07-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #9685
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
I saw a signal yellow g82 drive by my office on the freeway. All I can think of is that it's the car version of a trend that will not be remembered well. Like hyper color shirts or fidget spinners. Second G8x I've seen in the wild. Adding to the gt4 discussion also saw a brand new one from rusnak here in Portland. Those are a good looking car! Too bad when optioned are pushing $115k
I'm sure you meant São Paulo Yellow. How would the "trend" not be remembered well?!? After all, brightly colored BMW's and Porsches and [fill in the brand here] go back decades and it's still an in thing.
Yeah whatever the god awful fluorescent green is. I'm talking G8x design not colors. It just looks like a forgettable design in years to come.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #9686
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I saw a signal yellow g82 drive by my office on the freeway. All I can think of is that it's the car version of a trend that will not be remembered well. Like hyper color shirts or fidget spinners. Second G8x I've seen in the wild. Adding to the gt4 discussion also saw a brand new one from rusnak here in Portland. Those are a good looking car! Too bad when optioned are pushing $115k
I'm sure you meant São Paulo Yellow. How would the "trend" not be remembered well?!? After all, brightly colored BMW's and Porsches and [fill in the brand here] go back decades and it's still an in thing.
Yeah whatever the god awful fluorescent green is. I'm talking G8x design not colors. It just looks like a forgettable design in years to come.
They said the E46 wouldn't age well either, but now……
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #9687
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

apologies if this was posted

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #9688
BLCKSTRM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/6; E32 740il

Quote:
Ha - this is a far cry from the E46.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25122.50
icegrill2080.50
      07-17-2021, 04:53 PM   #9689
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKSTRM View Post
Quote:
Ha - this is a far cry from the E46.
That's besides the point. Twenty years ago there were plenty of people who didn't like the E46 and were vocal about it. Had there been an Instagram back then or had Facebook or YouTube been what they are now, you likely would've seen this represented in online comments just the same. Back then, E46Fanatics and Roadfly were the primary shout space(s) and there was plenty of dissent.

More recently, one only need to look at the 1M to see this cycle repeating itself. So much shit was talked about the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:19 PM   #9690
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Anyone remember this guy's name? No googling!

yeah?

What do i win?
You win a rep point and this fabulous pic of the best BMW evar
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
icegrill2080.50
stein_325i25122.50
FormulaMMM3662.50
      07-17-2021, 05:22 PM   #9691
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I don't remember any hate for the E46 M3 on e46fanatics, honestly. I do remember some people not liking the LSB and PY colors, but no one disliked the car itself.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18198.00
      07-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #9692
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

Twenty years ago there were plenty of people who didn't like the E46 and were vocal about it.
What's your favorite classic sport horse carriage?

Before you scoff, keep in mind horse carriages were the predominate vehicles when our grandparents were kids!! (for many of us - if you're Gen-Xy)

Lots of people are getting future transpo so wrong: old tech (ICE) is so embedded as "it'll just always be like it is today"

ICE will be like steam engines: fun at the county fair, but none of us be like, "DAAAYYYyyymmmmnnnn ... check out that 1904 Locomobile Steamer - it's a classic!"

In 50 years ICE vehicles will be closer to phone booths or horse carriages than "classics" - all it takes is that first generation who feels sorry for us dumb fuckers who had to schlepp around in slow Rube Goldberg contraptions with an ICE ...

... and, BTW, note that's anyone born in 2015 or later.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #9693
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I don't remember any hate for the E46 M3 on e46fanatics, honestly. I do remember some people not liking the LSB and PY colors, but no one disliked the car itself.
I remember it pretty vividly because that was right when I came to BMW. I'm still a mod on that site as well. I wish I could dig up old threads from circa 2001.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:29 PM   #9694
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

Twenty years ago there were plenty of people who didn't like the E46 and were vocal about it.
What's your favorite classic sport horse carriage?

Before you scoff, keep in mind horse carriages were the predominate vehicles when our grandparents were kids!! (for many of us - if you're Gen-Xy)

Lots of people are getting future transpo so wrong: old tech (ICE) is so embedded as "it'll just always be like it is today"

ICE will be like steam engines: fun at the county fair, but none of us be like, "DAAAYYYyyymmmmnnnn ... check out that 1904 Locomobile Steamer - it's a classic!"

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

In 50 years ICE vehicles will be closer to phone booths or horse carriages than "classics" - all it takes is that first generation who feels sorry for us dumb fuckers who had to schlepp around in slow Rube Goldberg contraptions with an ICE ...

... and, BTW, note that's anyone born in 2015 or later.

I would wager in 50 years time electric vehicles might finally be closer to 30-40% of vehicle sales……….might. At the 2-3% they are now (…after 2 decades on the market), they've got a long way to go. The demand isn't there right now. The majority of the market isn't interested in EV's and range anxiety would need to no longer be an issue for anyone for EV's to gain enough ground to topple ICE's. There's a good discussion on RennList about this too.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #9695
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone remember this guy's name? No googling!

yeah?

What do i win?
You win a rep point and this fabulous pic of the best BMW evar
"That's him officer, that's the car that looked at me funny"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #9696
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would wager in 50 years time electric vehicles might finally be closer to 30-40% of vehicle sales……….might.
My reaction:

I remember having this same convo with techie types when the iphone came out: 90% of people said it was gonna flop because it was shitty phone (just get a nokia), shitty for email & messaging (get a blackberry), and WAY too expensive.

What people didn't get about the iPhone was 3 things:

(1.) Subsidies.
Once new technology begins hitting economies of scale, capitalist rush in and subsidize the costs further cuz FOMO. Think social media, internet retail, smart phones (AT&T, Verizon, etc), the assembly line, etc. Subsidies get users, users get revenue, revenue gets control, control gets profits. The BEV **corporate** subsidies are coming! Might be V2G tech at super chargers.

(2.) Bundling.
"all of the world's profits are made from bundling & unbundling" The iPhone bundled a phone, a GPS device, a music player, a gamer, messaging, media, a web browser, and opened the door to add-on apps. The personal computer did the same thing previously, and Netflix de-bundled cable ... and there will be a new rebundling coming there soon! The BEV bundles personal mobility with your phone's existing bundle AT THE SAME TIME that WFH+Delivery+Uber+Secure-supply-chain is unbundling errands & works from your car! This is key because it means shorter more frequent trips & corps will want your biz so they'll subsidize it in various ways (free power, insurance subsidy, etc) not to mention the vehicle itself and its lower costs. (see gas stations below)

(3.) Exponential growth.
The human brain literally can't comprehend it - it can only be understood via direct application of data analysis & extrapolation. i.e., if you don't sit down and look at the numbers you'll never understand it. BEVs are growing exponentially. Everywhere. (well most places)

None of this means ICE will totally disappear, just like horses haven't. I still see people using them every day - they're pretty popular. I live in the middle of Silicon Valley and I'm never more than 20 minutes away from people using horses for mobility (mostly for fun). I could even see a boom in ICE tracks. 80% of my friends have horses for their kids in one way or another. There's a horse feed store in downtown San Jose that JUST CLOSED! 2000fucking21. silicon valley. horse feed store.

You'll see it when gas stations start getting longer to find in cities & suburbs - that retail property is just too valuable and once volume falls 20% the business model will collapse.

Once that happens, convenience inverts; everyone has an outlet in their garage. The mall has free fuel. The supply chain, bro.

Exponential decrease.

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-17-2021 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2021, 05:57 PM   #9697
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would wager in 50 years time electric vehicles might finally be closer to 30-40% of vehicle sales……….might.
My reaction:

I remember having this same convo with techie types when the iphone came out: 90% of people said it was gonna flop because it was shitty phone (just get a nokia), shitty for email & messaging (get a blackberry), and WAY too expensive.

What people didn't get about the iPhone was 3 things:

(1.) Subsidies.
Once new technology begins hitting economies of scale, capitalist rush in and subsidize the costs further cuz FOMO. Think social media, internet retail, smart phones (AT&T, Verizon, etc), the assembly line, etc. Subsidies get users, users get revenue, revenue gets control, control gets profits. The BEV **corporate** subsidies are coming! Might be V2G tech at super chargers.

(2.) Bundling.
"all of the world's profits are made from bundling & unbundling" The iPhone bundled a phone, a GPS device, a music player, a gamer, messaging, media, a web browser, and opened the door to add-on apps. The personal computer did the same thing previously, and Netflix de-bundled cable ... and there will be a new rebundling coming there soon! The BEV bundles personal mobility with your phone's existing bundle AT THE SAME TIME that WFH+Delivery+Uber+Secure-supply-chain is unbundling errands & works from your car! This is key because it means shorter more frequent trips & corps will want your biz so they'll subsidize it in various ways (free power, insurance subsidy, etc) not to mention the vehicle itself and its lower costs.

(3.) Exponential growth.
The human brain literally can't comprehend it - it can only be understood via direct application of data analysis & extrapolation. i.e., if you don't sit down and look at the numbers you'll never understand it. BEVs are growing exponentially. Everywhere.

None of this means ICE will totally disappear, just like horses haven't. I still see people using them every day - they're pretty popular. I live in the middle of Silicon Valley and I'm never more than 20 minutes away from people using horses for mobility (mostly for fun).

You'll see it when gas stations start getting longer to find in cities & suburbs - that retail property is just too valuable and once volume falls 20% the business model will collapse.

Once that happens, convenience inverts; everyone has an outlet in their garage.

Exponential decrease.
Phones are far different than cars in terms of how people view them. The psychological aspects associated with going from ICE to EV for most people are profound. The techies might make the jump. Those with money to blow might make the jump (…while still keeping/maintaining an ICE vehicle). Middle America will not……..not for a very, very long time.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #9698
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Heavily dependent on the country or even the region of a large country.

They might (will) ban ICE in passenger vehicles in 10-20 years, but I don't see most of the second-world and third-world countries making the jump so early. Go to Albania, a European country, and try to count all the 80s/90s diesel Mercedes on the road. It's all about money or lack thereof.

Rich US states being 100% electric in 2035 or whatever ain't mean shit when the rest of the world is still stuck in the 90s.
      07-17-2021, 06:17 PM   #9699
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The psychological aspects associated with going from ICE to EV for most people are profound.
Nope. Everyone says that about every tech change. Just ain't true.

Think about 2009 with the iphone: "only techies will use a phone with a screen! My plumber ain't gonna tap a dainty screen & no MAN with high T is gonna want one"

Think about 2000 with e-commerce: "people need to see & touch stuff, e-commerce will only work for commodities"

And, from what I've read, the same was true of horses: "people will never switch to a motor car: horses breed other horses and eat free grass - people won't put up with having to find gasoline for an engine that always breaks down".

That's more/less from an editorial in 1904; by 1925, mostly cars.

It's all convenience & economies of scale. The ICE supply chain is knife-edge vulnerable AND unpredictable (see Southern gas crisis of this year). Once the gas station business model starts collapsing people will buy BEVs cause duh.

4-5 years MAX.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 06:23 PM   #9700
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The psychological aspects associated with going from ICE to EV for most people are profound.
Nope. Everyone says that about every tech change. Just ain't true.

Think about 2009 with the iphone: "only techies will use a phone with a screen! My plumber ain't gonna tap a dainty screen & no MAN with high T is gonna want one"

Think about 2000 with e-commerce: "people need to see & touch stuff, e-commerce will only work for commodities"

And, from what I've read, the same was true of horses: "people will never switch to a motor car: horses breed other horses and eat free grass - people won't put up with having to find gasoline for an engine that always breaks down".

That's more/less from an editorial in 1904; by 1925, mostly cars.

It's all convenience & economies of scale. The ICE supply chain is knife-edge vulnerable AND unpredictable (see Southern gas crisis of this year). Once the gas station business model starts collapsing people will buy BEVs cause duh.

4-5 years MAX.
Adoption of an EV is not desired nor convenient for middle America. We won't agree, but in 10 years I'm sure we'll revisit this. I had this conversation when the Prius was first introduced. People swore it would be the end of ICE. Yeah, sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #9701
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
So another M4 today in custom color actually - Banana Yellow 🤮

The color definitely accentuates the ugliness of the grills even more, if that’s possible.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25205.50
stein_325i25122.50
clutchdj1906.00
      07-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #9702
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Phones are far different than cars in terms of how people view them.
Given I'm married I forgot the most thing: SEX! with strangers.

In general, in 2010, no hetero-dude with muscle tone was gonna buy an iPhone - WAY too wussy ...

... Until hetero-chicks made one thing very clear: if you want to have sex w/ me, show me you've got resources.

Turned out the easiest & best way to do that was with an iPhone. it's modern day jewelry & it more/less attracts the RIGHT kind of chick (unlike, say, a Rolex which attracts the wrong ones), though it does work with all.

In 5 years fancy BEVs will be like iPhones; any 30-40 something single dude who enjoys sex will have to have a BEV.

Hey. I don't make the rules.
Appreciate 0